Dropping frames every 5-10 seconds!

Oglaf.1074

Game runs perfectly aside from this. Doesn't matter if I am just standing alone in an empty map or running a big scale meta: like clockwork, ever 5-10 seconds I constantly drop like 10 or so frames (which occasionally causes the sound to stutter during).

Also doesn't seem affected by any kind of graphic setting either.

@Oglaf.1074 said:Game runs perfectly aside from this. Doesn't matter if I am just standing alone in an empty map or running a big scale meta: like clockwork, ever 5-10 seconds I constantly drop like 10 or so frames (which occasionally causes the sound to stutter during).

Also doesn't seem affected by any kind of graphic setting either.

i have been running some tests on my own stuff . trying to figure out why my frame rates drop from 90 fps to at times 10 fps while doing teq events with settings set to low and being in towns like dr and la and haven it happen too. so far i noticed that with 60mb cable down and 5 mb up load speeds . most of the time in pve the game is fine but when it comes to towns and meta events not so much . even with cate6 cable right now and so the things for me i noticed even when i used msi booster set to max with out locking up my system and frying it . and all other things aside from that with my system specs . at this time i come to the firm believe that the game could run a lot more better with higher internet speeds of 100mb and more. but the sad part for me right now where i live at . i can only get the 60mb down and 5mb up with out it costing me a arm and legs . thanks to my internet company charter cable. pricing :/

but also too i have read the game depending on your video card does get fussy with some of them like the Vegas 56 and 64 . hope you able to find the fix to your problem .

also too i noticed that when running guild wars 2 on 8 cores the game at best used only 20 % of the cpu . but when i uncheck 4 cores and only used the first 4 cores on my AMD fx8350 cpu the numbers went up by another 20% and the cpu was using 49% of the cpu power to run the game. so maybe this is also something you should take a look at as well too . and these tests was ran on windows10 .

Here. give this tips page a shot. It goes in to a number of different ideas for increasing FPS, but the Game DVR is the one that fixed most of it for me (the only other thing I can do is upgrade my comp, which is the plan this year because my hardware is now around 8 years old.)

https://drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-low-fps-after-windows-10-creators-update.html

@Oglaf.1074 said:So is there actually a way to get any technical help here from Anet or...?

no their is no #techsupport here at all any more. not fully sure but think it stopped with the old forums but think the only way you might be able to get support at all . is to maybe make a ticket but not sure on that maybe@Gaile Gray.6029 will see this tag in and give us all answer why their is no #techsupport here at all. as well as to maybe how to get tech support for this game too.

@"Oglaf.1074" said:So is there actually a way to get any technical help here from Anet or...?

Support rarely responds directly to the forums. You're expected to contact them.

If this just recently started happening, updates to Windows over the past few weeks have caused problems with some systems, going as far as requiring a reinstall of Windows. Try rolling back to before it started. Also try booting with most other software disabled to rule them out (msconfig > disable all non-Microsoft services and startup programs).

With the sound stuttering, something is causing Windows to briefly lock, which can happen when any piece of hardware/driver fails to respond quickly enough. Update all drivers and the motherboard BIOS. Overheating or an unstable overclock can also cause this.

@Oglaf.1074 said:The weird thing is that I haven't really done any major changes to the computer, hardware or software.

Hardware will eventually fail, and unless you have updates disabled, Windows is making major changes itself.

It can also be caused by much simpler things. Monitor your CPU, disk and memory usage. Another process that is briefly spiking the CPU or disk will cause it, or if your memory usage is near its limit, access will be slowed.

If you haven't already, try deleting the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2, and if it exists, Documents/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat. This file can bloat over time and cause odd problems. Note that this will reset your hardware-related settings, mainly your graphics.

@Healix.5819 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:The weird thing is that I haven't really done any major changes to the computer, hardware or software.

Hardware will eventually fail, and unless you have updates disabled, Windows is making major changes itself.

It can also be caused by much simpler things. Monitor your CPU, disk and memory usage. Another process that is briefly spiking the CPU or disk will cause it, or if your memory usage is near its limit, access will be slowed.

If you haven't already, try deleting the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2, and if it exists, Documents/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat. This file can bloat over time and cause odd problems. Note that this will reset your hardware-related settings, mainly your graphics.

There is no Guild Wars 2 in my appdata... O_o

@Oglaf.1074 said:There is no Guild Wars 2 in my appdata... O_o

Press WindowsKey+R and open: %appdata%

It should open the roaming folder (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming). Look for a Guild Wars 2 folder there. If it's not there, go up a directory to AppData\ and do a search for Local.dat. If it's not there, check for Local.dat where GW2 is installed and under Documents/Guild Wars 2/.

If you still can't find it, open the resource monitor, select the disk tab, start GW2, wait for the process to appear under processes with disk activity, then check it to show its disk activity. Under disk activity, look for Local.dat or GFXSettings, both of which should be located in the same folder. Close GW2, open that folder and delete Local.dat.

@Healix.5819 said:

should be also noted too as well . this is something that should be very much pointed out as well. and that is this Internet speeds. not every one has fast Internet as i ran some bench marking tests this last week . on Internet and graphic's card and cpu usage. on my own system to try and figure out when doing teq . my frames dropped from 90 to 15 . while doing this event

Internet speed of 60 mb down and 5 mb up for me . i found that with fire wall set to max the game ran ok but yet my frame rates dropped still. then i reran the same test again the next time i did teq with normal fire wall settings and did the teq event but found the game to run ok but yet get lots of lag spikes and suturing . as well as my video card only used 28% of the cards power for a 960 4 gig gddr 5 video card . even when i used MSI afterburner on it . that did not even seam to matter and the frame rates still stayed at 18 fps till the event was over.

my thought on this is the game needs more better internet speeds to run easy and maybe not drop so much . but unable to test that idea out . as i can only get 60mb down and 5 mb up from charter right now and they being my only high speed internet provider for the area i live in . as Comcast and Verizon does not offer internet service in my area at all. and will not pay for dish internet due to the costs of it .

far as hard ware failures go that is a given and bound to happen . but i think that also is based on the persons system too as well . as it is for the internet thing toosad part is for this game many schools of thought but yet no word at all from anet and not much player base proof to help us all to back a idea or come to some sort of clear cut idea to begin with .

@zabandija.9623 said:I am having the same issue and I cant enjoy the game really, I will open a support ticket to see what they say.There are really a lot of people on posts or reddit having issues. I recomend the ticket since they dont reapond here clearly.

Please do let us know what they reply in your ticket (when the do get around to it).

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"zabandija.9623" said:I am having the same issue and I cant enjoy the game really, I will open a support ticket to see what they say.There are really a lot of people on posts or reddit having issues. I recomend the ticket since they dont reapond here clearly.

Please do let us know what they reply in your ticket (when the do get around to it).

I was asked to upload a GameAdvisor .zip file, it basically gathers data and makes a report of your computer and internet speed. I will keep you posted guys.Edit: if you want to run the test and review your results, here's the download link: http://us.ncsoft.com/gameadvisorEdit2: Sumary of the things I tried and didn't work: (may have forgoten other workarounds)

• Downgrade nvidia drivers so old versions (found of foums/reddit)
  • Remove the Local.dat file.
  • Repair Client
  • Run the game as administrator
  • Disable high PPP behaivour which is now controlled by the App
  • Give real time priority to gw2-64 process
  • Run the game with windows7 compat.
  • Disable windows defender.

EDIT3: They told me AVAST was messing around and that I should disable the shields, so I should disable, uninstal or add gw2-64 executable to the exceptions, which I did but the issue persists. So I got rid of AVAST, and ran the game without antivirus, also while installing AVG, and with AVG in passive mode + gw2-64 on the exeptions, issue persists.

Another shot done, I unistalled and installed again the game. I must admit it has more time running at 40-50 FPS, and when it drops, now it goes to 15 FPS, which is real crap but it's still >9 fps. This drop happens in any area, mostly in pvp loby or maps like sylverwastes even with a minimum of population.This idea came to my mind because I did windows upgrade from 7 to 10 and never had to reinstall the game. Would you guys give it a try?

@Oglaf.1074, another update here.Try downloading https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and run the program while playing gw2. Check the BUS interface parameter, mine was not running at 2.0 so I changed the power settings in the advanced options of power management for PCI Express in windows, now I run more time at 40/50 FPS which is really great, but I still see GPU clock drops so the game goes down to 15 FPS, 10FPS again. But now I've narrowed down to the GPU clock dropping randomly from 1020 Mhz to 800Mhz which causes the FPS drop.I have a GeForce 750TI, I know it's not top tier at all but should run the game nicely at 40-50 FPS and in fact it does, but somehow I've being bamboozled by the GPU core.Arenanet is doing an EXCELENT job I must say helping me solve the issue, I recomend you guys open a support ticket with them because it's helping a lot to find the root cause of my problem.They adviced to unplug and plug back the graphic card a couple of times, some time the BUS speed goes bad because of bad plugging but Idk, I will try it later. Now I will google the GPU clock drops with my card, see if there's some crap causing my pain.

Cheers from Argentina

Archived