ArenaNet attending E3 2018

Chilli.2976

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Arzurag.7506" said:Maybe they announce GW3 ? Instead of a third expansion, an occasion I would approve highly.But probably they will just show up to state some presence. "hey, we are not dead, yet"

I am guessing the latter as I would be surprised if a company did not go to their industry's convention/exhibition. GW3 is probably a long ways off as it would mean no new money coming in from players for years.

It could be the next expansion, as they were wanting quicker releases, but unless they speed up or shorten the living world, it'd be a little early. PoF was basically only marketed to existing players due to being released so quickly after its reveal through the story. They relied on advertising it after instead, but nothing beats a major event. HoT in comparison had a year of downtime where it was advertised at these events. They actually saw sales growth for the first time during that year, whereas the living world is barely keeping people active. HoT just completely failed to keep it up after its release, so they ended up losing everything they had gained as if HoT had never happened. PoF has done a much better job at retaining players so far, but it'll take a few more months to know for sure. It would likely be much better for them if they revealed the expansion in episode 3 or 4, giving them at least 6+ months to actually market it, plus people will join in on an active living world cycle, potentially hooking them on the free releases. They'll need a big feature to attract people however, and they'd probably be better off selling it for $50, otherwise it may be treated as DLC.

ArenaNet has however made minor appearances in the past, so this may be absolutely nothing.

@Arzurag.7506 said:Maybe they announce GW3 ?

Maybe in 10 years. It's far cheaper to support GW2 than to redo everything for GW3. GW3 will also be a lot more difficult to start, since they'll be needing a new engine, whereas GW2 was basically built on top of GW1.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

1. Build templates

Can you imagine making a booth at E3 just for build templates...It would be hilarious...

As for what they would do here. I suppose showcasing GW2 along side a new mobile game (they have been hiring ppl for this a long time now) makes sense.

@Turin.6921 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:
  1. Build templates

Can you imagine making a booth at E3 just for build templates...It would be hilarious...

As for what they would do here. I suppose showcasing GW2 along side a new mobile game (they have been hiring ppl for this a long time now) makes sense.

I mean for GW2? After 6 years? I would be hyped more than for new expansion.

Most likely it will be some kind of mobile game or app associated with GW2 and maybe some news or information about upcoming living story and expansions.Mobile game revenue has been a booming business these last couple of years for all the mayor companies and I think they want a piece of that pie. I don't it mind as long as they invest in GW2 and keep making it better and give the players more good content.

@Turin.6921 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:
  1. Build templates

Fashion Wars, the mobile game. Buy gems, trade gems for swag, and showcase you virtual fashionista skills on your phone! Available on AppleStore and GooglePlay December 2018.

@demitel.1340 said:Why people still keep mentioning Guild Wars 3 like it's going to happen? Even when the story in Guild Wars 2 is still going and Living World season 4 basically just started.

Well, it takes about 5-9 years to develop and release a full sized major MMORPG title from scratch. If Anet plans to continue this franchise on PC as platform (and not as a mobile version or a card game or whatever) they probably already made this decision.

@Adenin.5973 said:

@demitel.1340 said:Why people still keep mentioning Guild Wars 3 like it's going to happen? Even when the story in Guild Wars 2 is still going and Living World season 4 basically just started.

Well, it takes about 5-9 years to develop and release a full sized major MMORPG title from scratch. If Anet plans to continue this franchise on PC as platform (and not as a mobile version or a card game or whatever) they probably already made this decision.

If they want new mmorpg they gonna lose more customers than gain. It's more logical to continue developing GW2 than resetting your company's progress on the market.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"demitel.1340" said:Why people still keep mentioning Guild Wars 3 like it's going to happen? Even when the story in Guild Wars 2 is still going and Living World season 4 basically just started.

If they want new mmorpg they gonna lose more customers than gain. It's more logical to continue developing GW2 than resetting your company's progress on the market.

They developed GW2. They had a reason to abandon GW1. When they develop GW3 (we don't known that) they will have another reason for doing that.

When they really want to make GW3, they've probably already started development on it and they won't tell anyone about a GW2 successor until they've sold their last GW2 expac, because many ppl don't want to further invest into an "already dead game".They'll also want to make as much money from their old game and they have to be sure to survive the transition time between the old and new game, which means, they'll announce GW3, when they're reasonably sure about its expected release date and when they know that their funds are sufficient until they can sell GW3.

As far as "progress on the market". You need to realize that with each year passing the competition gets harder because games with new engines etc get released, because more and more content of your game gets older and more and more people have already played most of it. This simply happens because almost no company can produce content as fast as customers play through it.Most MMORPGs reach their peak in numbers of active players a few months or years after release and then their communities shrink continuously. So far (and we don't have the official data, since anet doesn't share it) it doesn't look that bad after PoF for GW2, but overall we still see that GW2 is losing more players than it gains over time. That's a normal progress, that happens with all games.

That's the reason why these companies make successors to their MMORPGs in the first place. GW3 could hilariously fail at launch or it could be the MMO that defines the market for the next decade.

Its not entirely impossible for a GW3 tease - its wouldnt release until 2021 at the earliest anyway. But I think there are room for a couple more GW2 expansions. And I also think we're not going to see much new at all, its pretty much gonna be an ad for PoF, "look at our awesome living stories we've done and thats coming up" plus "oh and do you remember vanilla is f2p? Try today!".

Unless they finally announce the real Tyrian gate they've been secretely working on for the last decade and bring through a living quaggan in front of an audience.

Or put Gaile in a springer outfit.

Either could happen.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"demitel.1340" said:Why people still keep mentioning Guild Wars 3 like it's going to happen? Even when the story in Guild Wars 2 is still going and Living World season 4 basically just started.

A new GW title brings tons of press and public interest, which is something that a 5+ year old game running on a engine made in 2002 cannot easily get.

While a full on GW3 is unlikely, it's almost a given that ArenaNet will sooner or later be forced to "reinvent" guild wars in order to bring it to the next generation of gamers. Tab targeted games with text bubble character interaction just do not interest the new generation.

@Crinn.7864 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

A new GW title brings tons of press and public interest, which is something that a 5+ year old game running on a engine made in 2002 cannot easily get.

While a full on GW3 is unlikely, it's almost a given that ArenaNet will sooner or later be forced to "reinvent" guild wars in order to bring it to the next generation of gamers. Tab targeted games with text bubble character interaction just do not interest the new generation.

It'd be more logical to create new game instead of keeping 100% to 1 title. Currently GW2 is all they have. If they want to grow they really need to create more titles to look for money on other markets. I believe a rumored mobile game is the most likely scenario. GW2 can be developed for years to come, just like WoW or Lineage are. GW3 would mean closing down GW2. Why all the revamps and improvements lately if they would close it soon for GW3? GW2 has solid playerbase but not real potential to grow anymore.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:
  1. Build templates

I mean for GW2? After 6 years? I would be hyped more than for new expansion.

I would be hyped as well...But any non-GW2 player in the conference would see this and be like ¨WTH?¨

Archived