Why is toughness the meta in pvp?

powerbits.6235

Though I do play firebrand and daredevil in pvp, I am maining warrior for this competition. But my question is why cant I kill a firebrand in pvp? The firebrand just runs in circles and heals too much for me to beat it. I have fought some firebrands that can take a beating from 2 warriors at the same time. This heal is extended to other tough classes like scourge and Mirage who are also on the team, making fighting them god level. So, why is warrior so bad compared to these classes? No class should be able to take a beating for 5 minutes from a glass cannon without feeling it.

@"Azure The Heartless.3261" said:Wow I'm disappointed. I thought I was going to actually see someone defend toughness as being the meta in PVP but it's just a Firebrand complaint."Another Firebrand complaint." So, there are more. Really, it is more of a warrior complaint in pvp. Toughness is rampant and not fun. Being able to push f2 and f3 and survive a full barrage with stuns is terrible, why would anyone want to have unbeatable classes in pvp? If they are not on your team then you lose. I think one guy said L2P, but he is just defensive of current settings. Warrior and thief seem to be on the bottom teir, and they are the most popular classes. No one should have toughness so great as to take hits from a glass cannon for 5 full minutes without being damaged.

@ToPNoP.2493 said:

@"Azure The Heartless.3261" said:Wow I'm disappointed. I thought I was going to actually see someone defend toughness as being the meta in PVP but it's just a Firebrand complaint."Another Firebrand complaint." So, there are more. Toughness is rampant and not fun. Being able to push f2 and f3 and survive a full barrage with stuns is terrible, why would anyone want to have unbeatable classes in pvp? If they are not on your team then you lose. I think one guy said L2P, but he just defensive of current settings. Warrior and thief seem to be on the bottom teir, and they are the most popular classes. No one should have toughness so great as to take hits from a glass cannon for 5 full minutes.

I like you.

@ToPNoP.2493 said:Though I do play firebrand and daredevil in pvp, I am maining warrior for this competition. But my question is why cant I kill a firebrand in pvp? The firebrand just runs in circles and heals too much for me to beat it. I have fought some firebrands that can take a beating from 2 warriors at the same time. This heal is extended to other tough classes like scourge and Mirage who are also on the team, making fighting them god level. So, why is warrior so bad compared to these classes?

Its not toughness that makes them hard to kill. In fact toughness and flat damage reduction skills and runes don't make much of a difference with how much damage you take. FB is strong because of a combination of things, their healing output, dodge and blocks(pre-nerf).

@Aza.2105 said:

@ToPNoP.2493 said:Though I do play firebrand and daredevil in pvp, I am maining warrior for this competition. But my question is why cant I kill a firebrand in pvp? The firebrand just runs in circles and heals too much for me to beat it. I have fought some firebrands that can take a beating from 2 warriors at the same time. This heal is extended to other tough classes like scourge and Mirage who are also on the team, making fighting them god level. So, why is warrior so bad compared to these classes?

Its not toughness that makes them hard to kill. In fact toughness and flat damage reduction skills and runes don't make much of a difference with how much damage you take. FB is strong because of a combination of things, their healing output, dodge and blocks(pre-nerf).

post nerf also, they have not changed. the beating they can take is outstanding. I don't want that in competition, and no one else should either. If someone is crying because they playing a class that is over powered in one area, and they do not want that changed, then find what can be changed. give fb more weapon attack power and take their sustain, make combinations more crisp, but don't let them take a beating from 2 people without feeling it. Bad game play is being encouraged with that and it creates this toxicity in the community. Maybe I should not care, because this game is getting old and adding stuff just complicates settings that would otherwise be fair. Maybe I should just accept that these settings will eventually force me to not log in. Maybe I should just stop logging in, because pvp, rank, fairness do not matter if I forget they are there.

@KeoLegend.5132 said:just another one that cant differ toughness from blocks and healingslets keep moving

Websters definition of toughness: strong enough to withstand adverse conditions or rough or careless handling. Another derailing post from someone who mains guardian and has no grasp on definitions, moving back to the discussion.

@ToPNoP.2493 said:

@KeoLegend.5132 said:just another one that cant differ toughness from blocks and healingslets keep moving

Websters definition of toughness: strong enough to withstand adverse conditions or rough or careless handling. Another derailing post from someone who mains guardian and has no grasp on definitions, moving back to the discussion.

Oh snap~

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:Wow I'm disappointed. I thought I was going to actually see someone defend toughness as being the meta in PVP but it's just a Firebrand complaint.My hopes were up so high

It is true however that since the last patch, you could almost call this rest of season : The rize of the ultra-bunkers (esp considering druid wasn't adjusted).

@Kaga.7629 said:

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:Wow I'm disappointed. I thought I was going to actually see someone defend toughness as being the meta in PVP but it's just a Firebrand complaint.
My hopes were up so high

It is true however that since the last patch, you could almost call this rest of season :
The rize of the ultra-bunkers
(esp considering druid wasn't adjusted).

Eh.There's always something. I'd rather it be druid since they technically cant kill you. That's better than Dragonhunter, Turret Engie, Spellbreaker prenerf, Scourg- hmm, and tied with Ventari Rev for annoying which in retrospect wasn't a crisis.

I have been playing warrior for 5 years. One thing that makes warrior weak is KITTING!IF an enemy is Kitting you, he is basically reducing your DPS to nearly 0 DPS.Whenever you encounter these kinds of players, turn around and go for the noob that is willing to fight you face to face.

@Kaga.7629 said:

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:Wow I'm disappointed. I thought I was going to actually see someone defend toughness as being the meta in PVP but it's just a Firebrand complaint.
My hopes were up so high

It is true however that since the last patch, you could almost call this rest of season :

I have played since launch, this is by far the least bunker season there has been yet. Every meta before there has been multiple viable Bunkers. The game's worst time was when it was the Ele Celestial Bunker meta, games were incredibly boring. Scourge is still the best and it's as anti-bunker as you could get. The rest of the meta classses are glass cannon one-shots. So how you came to the conclusion that it's a bunker season is beyond me. Chances are you aren't playing well and are doing very low damage. So it's a L2P issue.

Right now literally any class can drop Firebrand if you do your combos right, this simply wasn't the case before the nerfs. Warrior should do enough damage to beat FB, but your biggest thing is to look at your skills for BOON STRIPPING. The reason why Firebrands are so tanky is from their boons, learning what boon stripping is will help you beat them and weaken them, it'll also make you a better player.

Druid is in a decent place in the meta, but not a bunker. More of a hit-and-run and then sustain forever playstyle. Druid is pretty easily bullied off point if you don't fight a god-tier Druid. Also since you play Warrior, you literally counter this class so if any class should be able to beat this class, it's warrior.

@shippage.1983 said:

@"Kaga.7629" said:It is true however that since the last patch, you could almost call this rest of season :
(esp considering druid wasn't adjusted).I have played since launch, this is by far the least bunker season there has been yet. Every meta before there has been multiple viable Bunkers. The game's worst time was when it was the Ele Celestial Bunker meta, games were incredibly boring. Scourge is still the best and it's as anti-bunker as you could get. The rest of the meta classses are glass cannon one-shots. So how you came to the conclusion that it's a bunker season is beyond me. Chances are you aren't playing well and are doing very low damage. So it's a L2P issue.

Ahhh assumptions. My setup was already adjusted last season for a fullon boon destroyer build with winds. Personally Druids aren't a problem for me, but not everyone has the same tools to deal with things as i do.

But core guard full defensives, rev tome juicers and other ultra bunkers are still very strong mostly because they're just needlessly ridiculous to push off a cap. It's not like they do damage, but you're not gonna be ticking as long as he's standing on top of your cap ( unless he's being dumb and trying to attack a defended cap with his no damage bunker build, in which case you're winning by the second)

As for bad meta, 25 turret comp era was bad, mostly because the losers kept insisting there was nothing wrong with the turrets themselves ( Fact : i actually tested war+axe vs thumper-turret back then, and the turret would win on sheer pve hp totals + nocrits dumbness.) What a disaster that era was. And yet, the last 2-3 months of "4 button delete" scourge meta was worse, if only shorter lived.

@shippage.1983 said:

My hopes were up so high

I have played since launch, this is by far the least bunker season there has been yet. Every meta before there has been multiple viable Bunkers. The game's worst time was when it was the Ele Celestial Bunker meta, games were incredibly boring. Scourge is still the best and it's as anti-bunker as you could get. The rest of the meta classses are glass cannon one-shots. So how you came to the conclusion that it's a bunker season is beyond me. Chances are you aren't playing well and are doing very low damage. So it's a L2P issue.

Right now literally any class can drop Firebrand if you do your combos right, this simply wasn't the case before the nerfs. Warrior should do enough damage to beat FB, but your biggest thing is to look at your skills for BOON STRIPPING. The reason why Firebrands are so tanky is from their boons, learning what boon stripping is will help you beat them and weaken them, it'll also make you a better player.

Druid is in a decent place in the meta, but not a bunker. More of a hit-and-run and then sustain forever playstyle. Druid is pretty easily bullied off point if you don't fight a god-tier Druid. Also since you play Warrior, you literally counter this class so if any class should be able to beat this class, it's warrior.

I take it you are platinum or above because I'm talking about the higher levels of pvp, you will not blast down a firebrand alone, I do not care ow much ltp you have. its fine though, I cross into plat a few times on core warrior, but I think I play too often to guage the pvp weather in order to find when weaker payers are playing, that is how to leaderboard. But, for someone like me who just enjoys it, there are always times when getting the top marks several games in a row will still result in a bad team.

L2P is such a noob response and seen as bragging that you are the better player. But really, guardian is as tough in pvp as mirage is in wvw, obscene amount of sustain coming from everyone who plays it. And that is a build carry issue.

Archived