How to invert the weapons?

Dawn.7465

Hi,

I'm trying to play a guardian with Sword and Shield. But I'm left handed and the animations with the sword on right and shield on left is confusing and unnatural to me. This is not a huge problem as when I play on VR (where it's really become an accessibility problem), but it's annoying in my mind.

Is there a way to invert the weapons?

Unfortunately there is no way to make characters in this game left-handed. The nearest you can get is dual wielding and pretending the left is their main hand - the weapon in the right hand still counts as the main one for game mechanics but it's not as obvious. Or, on warriors with the spellbreaker elite specilisation you could use a dagger in their right hand and a sword in their left hand. Or there's two handed weapons - they'll still use them right handed but again it may not be as noticeable.

I've never found a game that actually let you choose whether your character is left or right handed. Some sort-of do by letting you put one-handed weapons into either hand but that's it. (I made my Skyrim character left-handed without thinking about it - I used a sword and dagger, always equipped the sword first and because I'm left-handed I always pressed the button to equip into the left hand first. Genuinely didn't notice until someone else pointed it out, but then I'm also slightly dyslexic so I often mix up my right and left.) But usually the character is right-handed by default, or rarely left-handed by default (like Link in most of the Legend of Zelda series) and you don't get to choose.

I get the impression it's not an easy thing to change - when Twilight Princess was converted from the Gamecube to the Wii Nintendo were worried that right-handed people would find it hard to control a left-handed character with motion controls so they wanted to reverse it (and presumably didn't care if left-handed people found that confusing) but it actually proved easier to flip the entire game than the one character. The Wii version is a complete mirror-image of the Gamecube version (except the UI).

I'd like to say you'll get used to it if you stick with your character...but like I said I'm dyslexic and mix up my left and right anyway so I'm not sure if that's why it doesn't bother me. But maybe some of the other left-handed players can weigh in on that.

Archived