is ember bay the best place to max magic find?

Gendo.4615

@Haleydawn.3764 said:No.Silverwastes would still be better, getting 5 stacks of Perseverance would be 150% magic find. Defeating VW would also grant Hero of the Wastes for an additional 50% MF.

Hero of the Wastes dos not require defeating VW. Only requires participation. You still get it even if VW fails.

@CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617 said:It's the best place if time is a factor. EB hearts can be done fairly quickly. Finding a decent Silverwaste map and doing Vinewraith can take a long time.

Central Tyria - Squad usually has one up.

@Faaris.8013 said:The best location for processing these envelopes is the trading post.

The numbers are as follows:

• At least 1.4g per envelope by opening with at least 900% MF
  • Probably better than 1.35g by opening with 750% MF
  • Under 1.25g by selling today on the TP

Opening with high MF is better. Based on several posts on Reddit, you can expect 1.4-1.5g per envelope by opening with 900% MF or better. In contrast, you can maybe get 1.6g per envelope before fees at the start of festivals, which translates to 1.36. As I type, you can get between 1.41-1.47g from the TP, which translates to less than 1.25g each.

I don't have any examples with low MF. The lowest from last year was ~700% and that was about 5-10 silver less than 950%. Presumably, it would be a similar discount this year, since the value for 950% is about the same in both years (that is, it's mostly from getting the better junk items).

I'd summarize the rule of thumb as follows:

• If you can stack over 700% MF, it's worth doing so.
  • If you have other stuff to open, it's worth doing some Silverwastes to boost to over 900%.
  • If you can't be bothered to boost your MF, you are better off selling on the TP. (Everything that drops that you might want, you can buy directly on the TP, too.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 The time it takes to boost your Magic Find that high needs to be taken into consideration too. Unless you want to do SW anyway, getting the necessary tiers is taking up time. Buying the 16 envelopes per day and selling them takes maybe 15 seconds per day. That's about 4 gold for 15 seconds effort. And you don't need to have MF maxed out (I haven't), you need no boosters and no map MF.

Then, you have to open a lot of envelopes to make it worthwhile. Maxing MF to open 16 envelopes makes no sense. I would say even after collecting them for two weeks, and opening 224 at once, it's not worth to get your MF to 700% or more. This means if you do this, you probably bought envelopes on the trading post. The person who opened 10k of them didn't get them for 1 gold each. Now you have to add the additonal costs for that to the calculation. If you get 1.4 gold per opened envelope but you bought it for 1.4 gold, well...

@Faaris.8013 said:@Illconceived Was Na.9781 The time it takes to boost your Magic Find that high needs to be taken into consideration too. Unless you want to do SW anyway, getting the necessary tiers is taking up time. Buying the 16 envelopes per day and selling them takes maybe 15 seconds per day. That's about 4 gold for 15 seconds effort. And you don't need to have MF maxed out (I haven't), you need no boosters and no map MF.

Then, you have to open a lot of envelopes to make it worthwhile. Maxing MF to open 16 envelopes makes no sense. I would say even after collecting them for two weeks, and opening 224 at once, it's not worth to get your MF to 700% or more. This means if you do this, you probably bought envelopes on the trading post. The person who opened 10k of them didn't get them for 1 gold each. Now you have to add the additonal costs for that to the calculation. If you get 1.4 gold per opened envelope but you bought it for 1.4 gold, well...

I think we both probably agree that some people should always sell; we're just disagreeing about which players.

My recommendations account for effort. The amount of time involved isn't enough to impact the value/time enough, at least, not for the sort of person who is trying to min/max. People with 300% MF from their account can hit 700% without too much trouble using boosters. It takes 5 minutes to get 150% more from Silverwastes; it's only waiting for the Vinewrath for that last 50%. So I'll double-down on my recommendation, with a minor rephrasing:

• If you can easily stack over 700%, it's worth doing so.
  • If you also have other stuff to open, then it's worth spending 15 minutes to do 5 events for an additional 150% MF (if you have a lot of stuff, then take a bit extra to get 50% more).
  • If you don't want to do any of that, then yes, sell on the TP instead.

PS those worrying about these sorts of numbers aren't going to open 16 envelopes per day. They are going to wait until the last day of the festival (the 22nd) and open all the ones they've collected. And those worrying about these sorts of numbers aren't going to spend 1.4g on the TP to buy them; they've already done the math and know that they aren't going to get enough to make it a worthwhile risk.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:PS those worrying about these sorts of numbers aren't going to open 16 envelopes per day. They are going to wait until the last day of the festival (the 22nd) and open all the ones they've collected. And those worrying about these sorts of numbers aren't going to spend 1.4g on the TP to buy them; they've already done the math and know that they aren't going to get enough to make it a worthwhile risk.

Also need to be careful with that 22nd since it ends 10am pacific time on the 22nd. Depending on timezone you might want to do it on the 21st though that is not a huge MF difference.

Archived