Looking to start some PVP

Joxer.6024

AS the title says I am looking to start some PVP but have no clue what to expect, look for, gear for, etc. Is the salt real, and if so, is it worth it? Its a playstyle I stayed away from in my WOW years but am looking to branch out with GW2 and try new things. Class wise I prefer Holo but have a Warrior, Rev, Scourge also ready to go. Any suggestion, good or bad, will be most appreciated. Cheers!!

No need to gear because everyone selects from same set of runes/sigils and amulets which give you the majority of your stats like armor in pvp.

Jump into unranked and learn how to not die. The thing that screws people up most is they die instantly and don’t retreat when things aren’t working out.

Rotation is the skill of knowing where to be when you need to be there. Often people look for guides but there isn’t a substitute for practice until you intuitively can look at the mini map and know what you should be doing.

Remember, it’s a team mode and you’re only as strong as your team. Carrying requires you to work well with your team. Going off to solo 1v1 or 1v2 will sometimes work but often you will be better off helping your team stay alive and secure kills.

Learn the map mechanics. Every map has them and you need to know how valuable (or not) each is. You don’t always need them so you have to learn when you should rotate into them. Map objectives can be used to manipulate your opponents. If they overvalue a single objective the rest of the map can be yours.

@Joxer.6024 said:

@"FyzE.3472" said:Run, you fool
dies from condies

Lol, yea, that's what I was afraid of.... ;)

On a more serious note, since you don't need to be lvl80 and/or geared with the best gear, you can find out what profession suits yor playstile in PvP (just by creating a toon and go to the mists asap). Checkout www.metabattle.com for more or less "meta" builds.Do not start ranked ASAP. Learn your preferred profession, learn rotations, then go into ranked.Be ready to just block people. Not all of them are gonna give you any constructive criticism. Most of them will just type useless nonsense.Try and have fun! Blocking people will help you.Learn from your mistaks.Focus on your performance. It is impossible to control others in any way so just focus on yourself and you will become better than those who just try and change the world around them, but nt themselves.Good luck!

Having someone in a speech chat might greatly help in learning. It´s not so bad with condies (OK it was till last patch with scourge and mesmer XD).I am in EU ond if i am online in the eavening i like helping new players and would go into matches with TS or Skype with you.Important is if you like holo best train it. I started with WvW and got to PvP with HOT doing dailies in PvP now.About 100 matches and you know most. About 1000 with a class you usally can say i am OK in ranked with that class ^^.

I don't recommend playing pvp in this game. The pve content is amazing but the pvp has been destroyed, mainly due to the powercreep introduced with both addons. The combat now is pure chaos, people getting their healthbars "deleted" and conditions stacking as high as mount everest.

Well we hope it´s getting better. After an expansion it´s usually a mess. A pitty but it is. And also build diversity is not the best in pvp but people will always search for optimum so ...If we get new game modes and MMR gets better dependency on personal skill it might be fine again. So hope ...

@FyzE.3472 said:Run, you fool dies from condies

ItS NoT SaFe HeRe Oneshot by mesmer

It's actually alright. just start off in unranked, ask for pointers and ignore anyone too angry at you for a stranger.

You dont need to gear as far as armor goes (just make sure you wear armor, the stats dont matter). Amulets and runes will provide your stats and are freely swappable.Perhaps look for a 1v1 room in the game browser to fight some people and see how human players deal with you/react to your attacks, and be patient. itll probably take a while to get the hang of it. Its a different beast from PVE.

Archived