Holos

michelada.2947

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got hit by holo mode's 5 for 9k once while dueling paladin holosmith. Why would you go berserk amulet? :D

@Vagrant.7206 said:I wish people's ratings would show on this board so we could have a point of reference for who's complaining and why.

That won't happen. Just like dps check in dungeons/fractals. This game tries too hard not to offend anyone and that's why it so popular.

@Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:I got hit by holo mode's 5 for 9k once while dueling paladin holosmith. Why would you go berserk amulet? :D

@Vagrant.7206 said:I wish people's ratings would show on this board so we could have a point of reference for who's complaining and why.

That won't happen. Just like dps check in dungeons/fractals. This game tries too hard not to offend anyone and that's why it so popular.

Imma call BS on the 9k.

As for the people complaining that holos are going zerk now let me counter with this: They swap out out almost all of their condi cleanse and damage mitigation in order to go full zerk. This means instead of demolisher or paladin level toughness on someone with prot and occasional 50% additional dmg reduc hitting you its someone with 0 mitigation whatsoever outside of elixer s and dodges. Take into account nerfed dodge damage and this whole thing seems a lot less scary.

Besides, zerk holo relies completely on winning teamfights as it's 1v1 ability is meh against the other strong 1v1 builds in the meta and in a teamfight it will need a good support in order to not die in 2 sec. If they run zerk without some coordination with their support they are most likely a free kill.

@Ario.8964 said:

@Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:I got hit by holo mode's 5 for 9k once while dueling paladin holosmith. Why would you go berserk amulet? :D

Imma call BS on the 9k.

As for the people complaining that holos are going zerk now let me counter with this: They swap out out almost all of their condi cleanse and damage mitigation in order to go full zerk. This means instead of demolisher or paladin level toughness on someone with prot and occasional 50% additional dmg reduc hitting you its someone with 0 mitigation whatsoever outside of elixer s and dodges. Take into account nerfed dodge damage and this whole thing seems a lot less scary.

Besides, zerk holo relies completely on winning teamfights as it's 1v1 ability is meh against the other strong 1v1 builds in the meta and in a teamfight it will need a good support in order to not die in 2 sec. If they run zerk without some coordination with their support they are most likely a free kill.

There is actually a bug where you can get hit by Photon 5 multiple times. Seems to happen when running along the wave with stab / getting bounced with the wave whilst not having stab.

@deShinigami.2387 said:

Imma call BS on the 9k.

There is actually a bug where you can get hit by Photon 5 multiple times. Seems to happen when running alone the wave with stab / getting bounced with the wave whilst not having stab.

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

@deShinigami.2387 said:

Imma call BS on the 9k.

There is actually a bug where you can get hit by Photon 5 multiple times. Seems to happen when running along the wave with stab / getting bounced with the wave whilst not having stab.

Oh, is it a bug? It's useful to know.

@"Vagrant.7206" said:I wish people's ratings would show on this board so we could have a point of reference for who's complaining and why.

I wish you consider other builds except Spellbreaker and Scourge when you trying to justify it as "balanced". There are other classes in the game. Compare it with revenant or weaver or core warrior. In every your post you remember about core engi. But when someone talks about too high damage from Holosmith, you instantly forget about other classes except super meta SB, Scourge.Difference in damage level between Holo and other melee classes is insane.

@"Ario.8964" said:Besides, zerk holo relies completely on winning teamfights as it's 1v1 ability is meh against the other strong 1v1 builds in the meta...

Same here. Key word in your post is "meta". I don't like these new faceroll classes. If you take weaver or revenant or core warrior you will feel how huge difference in damage. And this difference is absolutely unjustified.This can be applied to Spellbreaker and Scourge too. But Holosmith is the most clear and appealing example of this problem.

@Vaeo.4097 said:

@"Vagrant.7206" said:I wish people's ratings would show on this board so we could have a point of reference for who's complaining and why.

I wish you consider other builds except Spellbreaker and Scourge when you trying to justify it as "balanced". There are other classes in the game. Compare it with revenant or weaver or core warrior. In every your post you remember about core engi. But when someone talks about too high damage from Holosmith, you instantly forget about other classes except super meta SB, Scourge.Difference in damage level between Holo and other melee classes is insane.

@"Ario.8964" said:Besides, zerk holo relies completely on winning teamfights as it's 1v1 ability is meh against the other strong 1v1 builds in the meta...

Same here. Key word in your post is "meta". I don't like these new faceroll classes. If you take weaver or revenant or core warrior you will feel how huge difference in damage. And this difference is absolutely unjustified.This can be applied to Spellbreaker and Scourge too. But Holosmith is the most clear and appealing example of this problem.

Hmm... maybe weaver damage would be fine if it actually hit... I think the main difference is holo skills usually hit more than thin air. They hurt for sure when then do though. Most of the time in fact.

@Vaeo.4097 said:

Not really.

• Thief burst damage (all three elite specs) can meet or exceed holo single-target damage when played right.
  • Spellbreaker burst and CC can be just as deadly as holo in 1v1. Zerker warrior and core could use some work, but they're not as far behind as you imply.
  • Guardian can deal a boatload of damage regardless of elite spec. Hop on a core zerk GS guard, combo a judge's intervention with GS #2 and tell me what you find.
  • Ranger melee doesn't seem to be lacking, although soulbeast just needs a pinch more damage.
  • Revenant's in a weird place. It definitely needs more tuning to adjust overperforming and underperforming skills.

And that's all the melee classes. The reason the holo in particular stands out is because it can survive in the current meta without too many problems, and it has more teamfight potential than many of the other builds. Part of the huge, flashy telegraphs is to draw attention to the holo so that you can focus them down.

As for the casters:

• Scourge is, well, scourge. Necro in general is a natural counter to engineer, so reaper and even core necro are effective against holo.
  • Mesmer is, well, mesmer. It's quite potent in the right hands and right builds.
  • Engineer is a natural counter to elementalist, so most elementalist builds don't hold up particularly well against holo. That said, the right ele build can still nuke like nobody else.

@Ario.8964 said:

Imma call BS on the 9k.

Thats not really true they have some defensive cooldowns that if staggered correctly will allow them to kill whoever is attacking them before they become vulnerable a lot of the time. I don't have big problems with Holo personally but im not sure there quite as vulnerable as they should be for the spike they put out.

@michelada.2947 said:They are so broken that are starting to go full berserk and carry games, gg.

Yeah they carry games in bronze league going zerk.

A zerk holo dies in 3 seconds of condis given by scourge, and in 3 seconds from spellbreaker or thief or any other burst power class that makes him waste the 2 invulns in no time.If holo doesn't take rocket boots is so easy to chase down and kill faster than a thief.

In what holo excels are ambush attacks and outnumbering fights helping with the crazy damage. But a false step into scourge aoe or into some kind of burst you find yourself dead in zero time.

Same to those people who still complain of scourge because too op and they are the same the keep going 1vs2 against 2 scourge and wonder why they died.

Holo is kinda tough for newer players cuz all their stuff look kind of similar.

It’s strong but it’s also the type of thing that is fairly easy to push off point, I suggest making one and fiddling with it to learn their animations.

Gotta say tho the passive Elixer S saftey net is pretty dumb. If it was a 15% threashold it could be over ridden by solidly landed spike from a glass cannon which could feel better, and still serve it’s purpose agaisnt bruisers, and other on point fights. While letting burst builds pressure it, or pressure when they use healing turret.

Holo is far from unbeatable tho, it does it’s job well and that’s not a problem.

corona's grant them perma stab, which is one of the reasons why Holo's are so strong right now, they are unstoppable until they are down, another reason is that compared to other classes everything on holo is super fast with just a few telegraph animations but still the class feels super fast compared to other melee classes almost as if they were on quickness all the time

Yeah, Holo needs a nerf, "perma" stability and 25 stacks hit and run kind of game gets old...its really annoying having a Holo jump on you, fail to land the burst and when you try to punish him, he dont have only one, but two invulnerabilities at his disposal, and also insane mobility...if people wanna run these gimmicks builds, go stealth and try to burst 100%>0% health in sec, its fine, but if you fail to land your attacks you should be defenseless after it.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

Not really.
  • Thief burst damage (all three elite specs) can meet or exceed holo single-target damage when played right.
  • Spellbreaker burst and CC can be just as deadly as holo in 1v1. Zerker warrior and core could use some work, but they're not as far behind as you imply.
  • Guardian can deal a boatload of damage regardless of elite spec. Hop on a core zerk GS guard, combo a judge's intervention with GS #2 and tell me what you find.
  • Ranger melee doesn't seem to be lacking, although soulbeast just needs a pinch more damage.
  • Revenant's in a weird place. It definitely needs more tuning to adjust overperforming and underperforming skills.

And that's all the melee classes. The reason the holo in particular stands out is because it can survive in the current meta without too many problems, and it has more teamfight potential than many of the other builds. Part of the huge, flashy telegraphs is to draw attention to the holo so that you can focus them down.

As for the casters:
  • Scourge is, well, scourge. Necro in general is a natural counter to engineer, so reaper and even core necro are effective against holo.
  • Mesmer is, well, mesmer. It's quite potent in the right hands and right builds.
  • Engineer is a natural counter to elementalist, so most elementalist builds don't hold up particularly well against holo. That said, the right ele build can still nuke like nobody else.

really wanna try to compare Core zerker guardian with Holosmith?? Not even Valk Guardian, but Zerker?? Lol good luck with your 11K HP pool, predictable burst, allmost zero mobility and close to none sustain/survival.

@"Felipe.1807" said:Yeah, Holo needs a nerf, "perma" stability and 25 stacks hit and run kind of game gets old...its really annoying having a Holo jump on you, fail to land the burst and when you try to punish him, he dont have only one, but two invulnerabilities at his disposal, and also insane mobility...if people wanna run these gimmicks builds, go stealth and try to burst 100%>0% health in sec, its fine, but if you fail to land your attacks you should be defenseless after it.

Actually this was generally how vanilla combat worked. Aside from thief there were noticeable down times after main attacks were used. Each weapon set really only had 1 or 2 burst skills you had to watch out for. Mesmers were most vulnerable right after they used their one shot burst so clutch evading was rewarded.

Utility skills were actually utilities and summons (pets, minions etc) were really also utility than anything else. Now we have pets doing more damage than the player and mesmers going into an endless cycle of burst, negate, stealth with really no down time unless you interrupt them while they are trying to burst.

Before, when you evade you knew exactly what you are evading. These days because there is so much random sht to avoid, you evade because you just dont want to be touched by anything even if you don't know what it is.

Archived