What would happen if Salma had been Chosen?

Daniel Handler.4816

It's unclear whether Priestess Salma was ever in danger of being Chosen. After all, Saul D'Alessio had ordered the White Mantle to leave her temple unchanged. But when she became known as Princess Salma she was constantly hunted by the White Mantle.

Given that Salma's bloodline was supposedly used in sealing the Bloodstones, what would have happened if she was sacrificed on top of one of them? Would it have broken the seal? Not broken the seal but powered the Door of Komalie for a very long time? Nothing special?

Salma never would have been Chosen. It's been a long time since I did that questline (back before she even had a unique sprite), but I believe it was known that she was descended from the King but it was kept quiet when she was sent to the temple. The priests were all working together to keep her safe, and no one there would have been tested to be Chosen.

Now, if she were to have been taken to a bloodstone and have her blood touch it - especially the blood of her dying breath - that is another question entirely. I haven't paid enough attention to the bloodstone lore to say definitely whether the royal blood of Doric would have any effect on it or not.

@Rognik.2579 said:Salma never would have been Chosen. It's been a long time since I did that questline (back before she even had a unique sprite), but I believe it was known that she was descended from the King but it was kept quiet when she was sent to the temple. The priests were all working together to keep her safe, and no one there would have been tested to be Chosen.

Now, if she were to have been taken to a bloodstone and have her blood touch it - especially the blood of her dying breath - that is another question entirely. I haven't paid enough attention to the bloodstone lore to say definitely whether the royal blood of Doric would have any effect on it or not.

That would hold true if the whole thing about what Chosen are was just a lie or specifically tied to the Flameseeker Prophecies.

However, Livia's comment of the Pact Commander being Chosen in One Path Ends suggests that is not the case, that being Chosen is more than some lies brought out by the White Mantle to explain why they take people away for their sacrifices, and more than being the specific heroes of the Flameseeker Prophecies.

As for Doric's blood's effect on the Bloodstone, it's suggested that Doric's blood is needed to reunite the five Bloodstones. However, given that they've grown (literally) over the millennia, I don't think such is even possible so that legend is likely just a legend.

@"Narcemus.1348" said:The best answer is, we don't know. We don't even know if the idea of Doric's blood reuniting the Bloodstone is true or myth.

That's because ANET retconned the Guild Wars, including the Doric's blood storyline through a disaster driven plot. Every known/possible descendant except Salma was killed or isolated.

1. Abbadon's Mouth erupts which causes the Guild Wars and forces three known lines of Doric to war each other.
  2. the Scarab Plague begins on the same the island that houses the Apocrypha, kills the entire Elonian royal family, then suddenly disappears
  3. the Canthan royal family is attacked, both attempts come close to wiping the family out. The second succeeds in making the emperor isolate himself, and presumably his bloodline, from other royal families.
  4. the third Guild War almost wipes out the Ascalonian line and leads to Aldebern receiving Magdaer which he later uses to commit suicide.
  5. the Searing/Charr Invasion leads to the death of the rest of the Ascalonian line.
  6. the Cataclysm ends the Orrian line.

But since ANET can't have empty maps you restore places but lobotomize their people.

• Orrians, and Ascalonians return as crazed and/or mindless entities
  • Kryta and Elona have their histories destroyed through internal strife, the citizens are left uninformed, and countries are rebuilt using secretive monarchies.
  • We don't know whats going on with Cantha, but when we do they probably will claim something like the Emperor destroyed information about outsiders.

The most egregious exampled is our separate visits to the Sanctum, a library meant to contain the sum of all knowledge.

During the first visit our characters peeks at Magic and War: An Educated Warning and during the second we read The Writings of the Last Spearmarshal

• the first is dated 1 BE. 1 Year before Doric's blood was supposedly used, and 100+ years before the first Guild War.
  • Tahlkhora's writings mention her father's love of history, her visits to the Halls of Chokhin, and yet she begins her account in 452 AE.
  • between 100 AE and 300 AE, Elona started taking advantage of Kryta's losses in the first Guild War and eventually colonized them.
  • And because of this weird avoidance, the writing suffered. Tahlkhora talks about lies and yet she erases Queen Nadijeh from history

Since the time of the Scarab Plague, the Sunspears have defended Elona. They are allied to all, so when a crisis arises, no false friendships or misguided loyalties will stay their swords.

• As a Spearmarshal she should have known the Order the Sunspears were allied to all, but the Sunspears were not.

The thing is we still have Jennah, who is descended from Salma, yet have no idea how her blood would affect the bloodstone. It's also questionable if we should even care, since the bloodstones have changed in significance, from the source of all magic to just another receptacle. However, with problems at home calming down, perhaps Jennah will be able to once again leave the palace without fear of being attacked or kidnapped and we might stumble upon a long-lost bloodstone. However, there are a lot of other plotlines that can be picked up that I think more people care about.

@Rognik.2579 said:The thing is we still have Jennah, who is descended from Salma, yet have no idea how her blood would affect the bloodstone. It's also questionable if we should even care, since the bloodstones have changed in significance, from the source of all magic to just another receptacle. However, with problems at home calming down, perhaps Jennah will be able to once again leave the palace without fear of being attacked or kidnapped and we might stumble upon a long-lost bloodstone. However, there are a lot of other plotlines that can be picked up that I think more people care about.

To play Devil's Advocate, they still are a little more than 'just another receptacle'. They're the largest receptacles, short of Elder Dragons or gods. One of them supposedly had enough magic to wipe out half the Tyrian continent, and there are thought to be four more out there. As close to the brink as we are, it's possible that even without the initial blast, that kind of magic being released directly would tip things past the point of no return. With only one dragon currently in play (P and J retreated out of reach, and no one seems to have any idea where S is), that could easily become a curveball with stakes high enough that it doesn't feel like a distraction- and given how often it's brought up here, I think it's fair to say that it'd be a reasonably popular tack to take, as long as they do something interesting with it and respect the worldbuilding they've already established. If a new plot thread spins up unexpectedly, I'd think that the bloodstones would be one of the more likely candidates.

@Rognik.2579 said:The thing is we still have Jennah, who is descended from Salma, yet have no idea how her blood would affect the bloodstone. It's also questionable if we should even care, since the bloodstones have changed in significance, from the source of all magic to just another receptacle. However, with problems at home calming down, perhaps Jennah will be able to once again leave the palace without fear of being attacked or kidnapped and we might stumble upon a long-lost bloodstone. However, there are a lot of other plotlines that can be picked up that I think more people care about.

They haven't abandoned the plotline, they quarantined it. The only reason we have Jennah is the race that made the Bloodstone, aka the Seers, allied with her ancestor to defeat the Mursaat. And that's also the reason why we have so little information as knowing about the Seers is top secret.

The writers said they weren't open to discussing the Seers back in Gw1. And we learned last year the Shining Blade will die if they do.

The Seers gave Livia the Shining Blade, and she used it to create the Oath of Confidence. A death-curse which kills anyone discussing secrets with someone who hasn't also take the oath. Though we were sworn in, we had no time for chit-chat.

Even then, when thought we thought things were settled, we find Livia defending Queensdale from Awakened despite the fact the last when we talked to her she implied she was retiring.

It should not be glossed over that they peeled back the lid slightly on a storyline they spent all of Gw1 destroying. And did it in a way that the PC can't even talk to his allies about it.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

To play Devil's Advocate, they still are a little more than 'just another receptacle'. They're the largest receptacles, short of Elder Dragons or gods. One of them supposedly had enough magic to wipe out half the Tyrian continent, and there are thought to be four more out there. As close to the brink as we are, it's possible that even without the initial blast, that kind of magic being released directly would tip things past the point of no return. With only one dragon currently in play (P and J retreated out of reach, and no one seems to have any idea where S is), that could easily become a curveball with stakes high enough that it doesn't feel like a distraction- and given how often it's brought up here, I think it's fair to say that it'd be a reasonably popular tack to take, as long as they do something interesting with it and respect the worldbuilding they've already established. If a new plot thread spins up unexpectedly, I'd think that the bloodstones would be one of the more likely candidates.

Exactly. And just to add, if ANET saw it as a distraction the PC would never have taken the Oath of Confidence.

I was merely grumpy that they imbued that entire storyline, and the name of the game itself, into one character just because they wanted the races on equal footing.

Archived