Renegade is still going to suck

Hooglese.4860

Let me do a quick critique of the balance patch for Renegade. The information I've obtained was from this post.

Mechanic skills

• Heroic Command: Decreased energy cost from 20 -> 15The problem isn't with the energy cost, the actual skill is terrible. At best you get 10 stacks of might for 5s if traited for it and the other effect is trash since getting stacks of Fervor is _really _easy. The skill could be free to cast and it wouldn't make Renegade anymore viable.
  • Citadel Bombardment: Decreased energy cost from 40 -> 35Again, energy cost isn't the problem. The problem is that it's impossible to hit more than 3 shots with it.
  • Orders From Above: Decreased energy cost from 30 -> 25I feel like I'm going crazy explaining this. ALACRITY ISN'T GOOD FOR REVENANTS AND THE RADIUS IS TOO SMALL TO SHARE, LOWERING THE COST WON'T DO ANYTHING.

ShortbowOk before I get into it further, it still doesn't have a defensive ability to compete with other weapons in PvP/WvW. I will concede that the duration increases were needed.

• Shattershot: Fixed a few bugs that caused this ability to pierce incorrectly when traited.Cool, it still does very little damage.
  • Bloodbane Path: Increased the duration of bleeding inflicted by this ability from 5s to 7s. Reduced energy cost from 5 to 4.Will it hit moving targets now? That's the main problem with this skill.
  • Sevenshot: Increased torment duration from 3s to 4s. Reduced energy cost from 10 to 7. Increased CD from 6 to 7.The core concept of the skill is still flawed and the functionality is still bugged so the changes won't help.
  • Spiritcrush: Increased burn duration from 1s to 2s. Reduced cost of Spiritcrush from 15 to 12, increased CD from 8 to 9.If it doesn't hit behind the enemy then it's still going to be a pain to use.
  • Scorchrazor: Reduced cost from 20 to 16 and increased CD from 10s to 12s.I'd rather have higher energy costs than CDs. Seriously for all of these I'd much rather have higher energy costs than higher cooldowns. Managing energy is why I chose revenant in the first place. I'd rather be able to use one skill more frequently and devote more energy to it than to have to wait longer. That being said energy costs on weapon skills is something that's probably Revenant's biggest debate with no clear answer, so tweaking CD+energy costs on weapon skills feels like a waste of time for developers. These changes to the weapon skills make me fear that few, if any, developers actually play Revenant. They don't only seem pointless, they make planning your next burst much harder by the energy costs not being divisible by 5. If I'm planning the next 10s of the fight I'm in I'm going to be thinking "I want to use skill x the most and I'll be able to use it n amount of times with 5 upkeep and 50 base energy so I'll have y free energy" or "this combo will cost x energy." If energy cost is divisible by 5 then you can simply divide everything by 5 and the math gets super trivial.

Utility SkillsFor the most part these are good.

• Breakrazor's Bastion: Increased heal scaling and base value of for both the initial and heal over time. Increased % reduction of condition damage from 33% to 50%. Removed Stunbreak.THANK YOU.
  • Darkrazor's Daring: Decreased energy cost from 35 -> 30, added stunbreak and initial stability on cast.THANK YOU.
  • Razorclaw's Rage: Added a removal limiter on the unique buff to prevent it from blowing out.
    This should also be added to Soulcleaver's Summit and Breakrazor's Bastion. They're all buffing spirits and all buffing spirits should be treated equally.
  • Razorclaw's Rage Now has a maximum grant of 50 stacks of bleeding over 10 seconds if affecting 5 allies.This actually isn't a buff. On the previous patch, this skill gave to 5 allies a buff that does 1 stack of bleeding on attack with a duration of 10s. That's 5x1x10=50 stacks of bleeding. These words don't mean anything.
  • Icerazor's Ire: Increase damage from individual missiles.Again, THANK YOU! I do want to know the actual number though...

TraitsThe traits are the best part of Renegade's kit but they need work. Ashen Demeanor is especially bad and Vindication is just a PvP/solo oriented version of Lasting Legacy.

In conclusion: Anet, these buffs not only suck but highlight your lack of understanding of how Revenant works and your apathy of the profession as a whole. I'm pretty disappointed to say the least. I feel like a parent walking in on their kid who was supposed to clean their room but just left a post-it note on a pile of garbage that says "clean." You're better than this, do better than this.

I disagree with the alacrity. It's impossible to tell just yet how the meta will form but, as far as raids are concerned there is a possibility of a renagade alacrity healer considering you can very easily get 85-90% uptime on 5 players wth it (with using ventari obv)

As far a the radius is concerned, when traited it is actually larger than the radius for avenger phantasms, which us where the majority of a chronos alacrity comes from for the party or sub squad

@Ertrak.9506 said:I disagree with the alacrity. It's impossible to tell just yet how the meta will form but, as far as raids are concerned there is a possibility of a renagade alacrity healer considering you can very easily get 85-90% uptime on 5 players wth it (with using ventari obv)

As far a the radius is concerned, when traited it is actually larger than the radius for avenger phantasms, which us where the majority of a chronos alacrity comes from for the party or sub squad

You get a maximum of 75% up-time on alacrity using ventari and that only happens if you do nothing but auto attack and spam natural harmony. If you have to swap legends, move the tablet, cc, do anything other than auto and natural harmony then the alacrity up time goes down. Meanwhile a chrono can upkeep perma alacrity, perma quickness, significantly increase uptimes on all boons, massive cc burst, distort, pull trash mobs, projectile defense, group condi cleanse all at the same time. The only purpose for rev alacrity is that it lets chrono run a few more dps phantasms and fewer shield ones.

I'm sorry but you're not playing the build right then.

Legend swap on cd from ventari /kalla. Spam harmony on ventari and use OfA (6s of alacrity) only while not in ventari.

Kalla can be swapped for mallyx for condition control, jalis for stability, or stay with kalla for a group dps increase (use ofa immediately after swapping into kalla, wait 5s to recharge to 50% put down elite. Energy will deplete right as legend swap comes off cd).

To top it off you also bring boons that the chrono shouldn't be naturally generating (protection, they can generate it if they're using a trait line they shouldn't be), more healing than a druid, and a stat aura (which isn't much but definitely worth noting)

@ArthurDent.9538 said:

@Ertrak.9506 said:I disagree with the alacrity. It's impossible to tell just yet how the meta will form but, as far as raids are concerned there is a possibility of a renagade alacrity healer considering you can very easily get 85-90% uptime on 5 players wth it (with using ventari obv)

You get a maximum of 75% up-time on alacrity using ventari and that only happens if you do nothing but auto attack and spam natural harmony. If you have to swap legends, move the tablet, cc, do anything other than auto and natural harmony then the alacrity up time goes down. Meanwhile a chrono can upkeep perma alacrity, perma quickness, significantly increase uptimes on all boons, massive cc burst, distort, pull trash mobs, projectile defense, group condi cleanse all at the same time. The only purpose for rev alacrity is that it lets chrono run a few more dps phantasms and fewer shield ones.

I don't chrono but I was under the impression that average raid alacrity uptime has dropped way off to something like 32%, according to my guildie chrono guru.

Archived