If you could choose the next class to be reworked or improved, which class would it be?

silverfox.1056

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has got to be revenant. Yeah it is the youngest class, but it came into being with serious problems that need to be addressed. There have been ideas for reworks and improvements floating around forever, I've had several myself, but ultimately so long as the core problems (and I mean actual problems, not simply balance issues or features I personally don't like) are fixed I'll be happy.

@Arkham Creed.7358 I completely agree, actually if I'm not mistaken I saw your fan concept on improvements. For me, I would love to see alternative utilities skills. The fact I cant change the default skills really limits game play at the same time as making it increasingly boring over long periods of gameplay. I use to love this class, but I think it is time to show it some love like all the other classes. What things would you change?

@silverfox.1056 said:@"Arkham Creed.7358" I completely agree, actually if I'm not mistaken I saw your fan concept on improvements. For me, I would love to see alternative utilities skills. The fact I cant change the default skills really limits game play at the same time as making it increasingly boring over long periods of gameplay. I use to love this class, but I think it is time to show it some love like all the other classes. What things would you change?

I believe the locked in utility bar is a core concept of the class, and as such not going to change no matte r how much we might want it to. So I've started looking into alternative ways to get us the build diversity we want. Currently I've settled on free swapping weapon skills, but more utilities, or more legends at one time, or a "I'm channeling myself" racial skill legend could all spice things up. As for personal wish fulfillment through I want main-hand axe as a core weapon choice, just so I can dual wield legendary axes without needing to lock myself into a set elite spec.

@MyPuppy.8970 If it makes you feel any better Weaver is my second main and I agree, there are a lot of skills for weapons that don't synergize at all. In the future I think the long bow for the elementalist would be a really cool change of pace.

@Vornollo.5182 I agree, it feels like they left revenant unfinished, almost as if they were in a time crunch to release on time. The sad part is they never went back to finish the class.

Warrior simply because it is my main and I’ve grown a bit tired of it after all these years and would love a fresh take on it. Familiarity breeds contempt.

However, I also agree with Revenant. Such clunky and out-dated design. Not even able to pick from a pool of utility skills? Anet please.

I voted Necro, because i totally forgot Rev.Yeah Rev was rushed and poorly thought out. It still stands out as one of the least useful classes in the game. And surely in any other game it would have been overhauled by now, if it wasn't for Anet's reluctance to admitting mistakes.

After that, Necro needs the most love as well. It consistently ends up under-performing because devs are to afraid to let necros use their kits. To this day, Reaper still doesn't work as they intended it (its still best as a condi class instead of power), Scourge was nerfed to death in PvE because they nerfed instead of reworking the problematic mechanics (which btw are still strong in PvP). And core Necro was always the black sheep of all the core classes.

I saw a lot of votes for Ele, weirdly enough? Because it's always the top DPSer and nothing has ever brought it down from there? Is that it?

@Arkham Creed.7358 said:It has got to be revenant. Yeah it is the youngest class, but it came into being with serious problems that need to be addressed. There have been ideas for reworks and improvements floating around forever, I've had several myself, but ultimately so long as the core problems (and I mean actual problems, not simply balance issues or features I personally don't like) are fixed I'll be happy.

@Vornollo.5182

Well. Same goes for necro. And at least you have several viable builds in all gamemodes on rev. On necro you only have exactly one.Maybe give rev like two more skills to choose. But that wouldnt need a rework.

I do think playing rev can be really annoying @Arkham Creed.7358 but when i switch to rev some times. I always have fun, because you can play condi, power and heal.

Necromancer can only play condi, and isnt even on the same level as all other professions with its dmg.

@Nimon.7840 said:

I do think playing rev can be really annoying @"Arkham Creed.7358" but when i switch to rev some times. I always have fun, because you can play condi, power and heal.

Necromancer can only play condi, and isnt even on the same level as all other professions with its dmg.

Balance issues for the most part. Certainly something to be concerned with, but hardly requiring a rework. (Admittedly I'm no authority on necro; I only ever play a condi/tank minion master in some casual PvE event farming on mine, so there is that.) But the revenant is just straight up unfinished and/or broken. All you have to do is look at our underwater options to see the unfinished part; only two of four core legends can be used underwater, and none of our elites. Making our build options down there power DPS or tank, and NOTHING else. We can weapon swap between spear and....also spear...because....BECAUSE. And that is just underwater. Look at our land based stuff and you see just how little sense anything makes. Partly this is the fault of the designers listening too much to players. Back before HoT officially released they slapped a bunch of "band aid fixes" on the class as obvious place holders until they could properly refine the original design, but then just never actually got around to doing that.

Case and point, going to necro again; necros have a build all about infecting themselves with conditions to become more powerful in some form. Revs were supposed to have one too, but it was decided that was too hard to balance right and dropped because.....just because. Never mind that necro has had that type of playstyle and build since day one and it never got outright dropped; our version gets the axe and an entire legend is forced to endure an identity crisis ultimately because they didn't have time to finish balancing it before HoT was rushed out the door.

@Arkham Creed.7358 said:

I do think playing rev can be really annoying @Arkham Creed.7358 but when i switch to rev some times. I always have fun, because you can play condi, power and heal.

Balance issues for the most part. Certainly something to be concerned with, but hardly requiring a rework. (Admittedly I'm no authority on necro; I only ever play a condi/tank minion master in some casual PvE event farming on mine, so there is that.) But the revenant is just straight up unfinished and/or broken. All you have to do is look at our underwater options to see the unfinished part; only two of four core legends can be used underwater, and none of our elites. Making our build options down there power DPS or tank, and NOTHING else. We can weapon swap between spear and....also spear...because....BECAUSE. And that is just underwater. Look at our land based stuff and you see just how little sense anything makes. Partly this is the fault of the designers listening too much to players. Back before HoT officially released they slapped a bunch of "band aid fixes" on the class as obvious place holders until they could properly refine the original design, but then just never actually got around to doing that.

Case and point, going to necro again; necros have a build all about infecting themselves with conditions to become more powerful in some form. Revs were supposed to have one too, but it was decided that was too hard to balance right and dropped because.....just because. Never mind that necro has had that type of playstyle and build since day one and it never got outright dropped; our version gets the axe and an entire legend is forced to endure an identity crisis ultimately because they didn't have time to finish balancing it before HoT was rushed out the door.

Well you know. Necro has exactly 1 viable build. Which is playing viper /trailblaizer. In all gamemodes. If you want to play the most efficient one.Rev has 3. Power for pvp, roaming, zerging in wvw. Heal mostly for raids and wvw. Condi, mostly for pvp and raids.

And necro cant use any of the newest elite specs utility skills under water as well.As well as not having good options under water, to transfer conditions under water. And we can only use plaguelands or the reaper shout under water as elites. So that puts us in the same spot being forced to play condi.And under water fights are the tiniest part of the game.So lets go back to land.

Revenant broken? Yeah it is. It does up to 7k more max dps than necro.

Rev doesnt make sense? Show me pls.As a necro i have to hurt myself, which no other class has to do (ok maybe ingi with new espec).Then we need to transfer conditions which leaves us vunerable to conditions the enemy puts on us, and we do all that, to get max dps and that max dps isnt even anything near the one of a rev?

Play healrev. Its awesome.Play healnecro. Its not even mediocre. Its mostly bad.Does necro have any blocks or evades? No it doesnt. Rev does.

If you want to speak about weapon skills. Ever tried focus on necro or mainhand dagger. They are just bad. And staff being a wvw weapon only and is only for generating lifeforce.

Speaking bout lifeforce. We are in the same spot here. Its almost the only defense necro has. But most of the lf generating skills are just super bad.

I can see rev needing one more utility skill for each legend. Just to have options which obe to leave out. But necro only has 5 slots. Revenant gets 10.

And since necro is in the same state since 4 years (i didnt play from beginning) i think necro deserves the rework first

I've been playing necro for almost 6 years now, since launch, and its my favorite class, but i got to admit its probably the weakest of all the other classes.

In PvE, no one cares about necros. Raids, fractals, I almost always get kicked or told to switch to a diff class. Low dps, weak break bar abilities, trash healing.

In PvP, necro underperforms in almost all aspects. Their only viable healing skills, Consume Conditions and Signet of Vamp have 1.25 sec charge time (longest heal cast time of all other heals). The barrier heal only heals 3k. Just wait out the 4k barrier (4s)and its gg. Start fights with 0% life force, and you have to generate life force with staff, but "oh look a mesmer/thief" BOOM! We're dead. Necros are ALWAYS targeted first, why? Not because we are a threat and they need to kill us first. Its the complete opposite. We are NOT a threat and have 0 defenses.

In WvW, its probably our best option. We are only good and useful in zergs. But even then, Necros still suck. We don't have the freedom to roam like all other classes, because... (read PvP).

Ranger, fisrt of all because biased is biased and second because its the only class mechanic that is inconsistent through and through and only a part of it is really usable. Its reliant on an AI that has targeting problems, inconsistent precision calculations depending on pets and a major part is not affcted by quickness and has pathfinding problems. I could rant on.

Rev needs more skills (i.e glyphs), but the class mechanic works fine, even if energy management needs some tweaks.It would be my second choice.

@VergilDeZaniah.3295 I complete agree on both things, I think Rev could really use an overhaul so it can be viable outside of certain builds or situations. Also, as much as I hate scouge (OP beyond repair), I would love to get back on my base Necro. It desperately needs some love, right under Rev. I think they should rework the Necro's staff and add more mobility and versatility to that class.

@InsaneQR.7412 You're right, I think ranger could use some improvements as well. I think they pet AI is useless for the most part, also I would love to see some options like in Warhammer online where your pet could have better commands. Like when I played a white lion (like a melee ranger) your pet (the white lion) grew up with you, evolved over time and became stronger and stronger as you leveled up. So much so to the point you could put armor on it, even command it to stealth and ambush your target or knock it closer to you. The pet system here is very basic, I would love to see some improvements there.

Rev's just need more of everything, its ridiculous to have a energy cost on a ability and a cooldown. Either go with one or the other and usually the energy cost is extremely high, so you do a two hit combo and your already low on energy and have to swap legends. Don't even get me started on the worthless utilities and the fact we cant swap them.

I voted for necro, but Rev was also a consideration (though still will always be of the opinion that Rev should have never been a class and should have been split into Mist-based elite specs for all classes).

The problem with Necro is it always is held back by having a "second life bar". The problem is built into the class and needs to be torn out and replaced. Scourge did a good job for itself by allowing it to get away from that balance problem, but sadly only for the skills unique to Scourge. Everything shared with the base Necro can't be fixed because then "Necro and Reaper could become OP /cry".

Revenant also has problems built into the class. The two main flaws are needing Energy for weapon skills, and the lack of choice in the class. Concerning the Energy, it's shared with the utilities and the weapon skills have cooldowns unlike Thief. I don't know how they'd fix this but I'm sure people who play Rev could write an essay about it.

Now for the lack of choice in the class for skills, I always found it awkward that the class was supposed to be a flip compared to all the other classes with having one weapon set (while being made before people wanted a swap), and flipping utilities. I personally think they should have went all the way with this and made it so that the auto-attack had a choice between 4 skills (like the 4 healing skills each class has), could make #2-4 into any of 20 different skills (mirroring the 20 utility skills each class had), and the #5 would be any of 3 skills (like elite skills for other classes). This way the Weapon Skills would be customizible like other classes utilites, while their utilities are set in stone like every other classes weapons. If they did this, they would have to get rid of weapon swap on Rev since their weapon swap would be swapping Legends like it is now.

Revenant definitely needs work done, don't get me wrong. I think a lot of its "meta" woes can be resolved with some tweaking and fine tuning, and over time it could definitely be reworked to have some more freedom with its bar that would make it more than just a niche class.

But, I would actually vote engineer (my main). There are some problems that run really, really deep to engineer's core (and scrapper as well). When you examine the design philosophy behind engineer's weapons and kits, you realize that the core was not designed to synergize with an expansion in any logical way, and is designed in an unintuitive, hard-to-learn fashion. It wasn't future-proofed at all. There's also a fundamental disconnect with many of the utility skills being utter garbage (med kit, elixir H, most of the turrets, the entire gyro mechanic, mortar kit, some of the gadgets and elixirs). Many, many well-documented bugs (or bad design) have persisted since launch as well (static discharge being a perfect example).

The reason most people ignore engineer's longstanding problems is because of holosmith, which is a radical departure from the rest of the class. If holosmith weren't as much of a threat in PvP/PvE, you can bet engineer would be topping the list with Rev.

@Jinn Galen.2468 said:Would you look at that, necro and rev at the top. You should take a hint Anet.

These polls are popularity contests. Most people recognize that Rev needs help, but necro is one of the more popular classes. Very few people vote engineer, because most have no interest in the class. :)

If ArenaNet based their decisions solely on popularity of a class, engineer would have already been deleted.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Jinn Galen.2468 said:Would you look at that, necro and rev at the top. You should take a hint Anet.

These polls are popularity contests. Most people recognize that Rev needs help, but necro is one of the more popular classes. Very few people vote engineer, because most have no interest in the class. :)

If ArenaNet based their decisions solely on popularity of a class, engineer would have already been deleted.

As a former engineer main; stop being greedy. You guys already got your rework just before HoT released, and the class was vastly, VASTLY improved from its original version. Still problems, yes, but all the classes have problems. You're absolutely right that these polls are popularity contests; that's why everything that isn't revenant got even a single vote. Basically everything I've seen lurking in every classes forums, and having played EVERY class since pre-release beta, they don't need reworks. They need a balance pass and some bug fixes here and there. That's it. Necro, engineer, all of them. The only class right now that is legitimately broken, objectively (and CONFIRMED by the developers themselves) to be actually UNFINISHED is the revenant.

Again; I'm a former engineer main; played it as my primary class for literally years and I can say with the authority of someone who has played every version of that class in all game modes; all of the engineers actual problems have been resolved. You want balance and bug fixes, not a rework. That isn't the same thing. You already got your top down rebuild of the entire class, engineer is the ONLY class to have gotten that much attention from Arena Net EVER. It is time for another to get that treatment. I WISH revenant would get even half the attention and effort that was put into engineer.

Archived