Anyone find underwater trident moves underpowered?

Axl.8924

1:Some really good ranged on trident that hits hard2:Some sort of aoe close effect on decent cd like the way eles or necros have3:Maybe like on others a way to bring out multiple phantoms at once? because underwater i feel like you can't use all same defensives as on other stuff.I'd love to have ability.

Also:i think the abilities should reflect the kind of build weapons have with defensives and offensive tools in 1, since it has as many slots as equipping 2 weapons such as sword focus or sword/sword or just broadswords 2h nature with 5 slots which are good.

Underpowered? Lol... the mesmer is strong underwater compared to some other classes since you can still use most class mechanics (ie clones/shattering) and the weapons actually deal decent amount of damage.

Try going underwater on an engineer instead. You literally go to sleep between each torpedo shot and if it by chance is about to actually hit anything, the enemies just go "mjeh" and swim away.

I always used the mesmer's trident underwater and never used it's fantasm attack. It's a very good weapon underwater, why would you want to change it? It's strength come from the bleed on auto attack, with 3 clones out, you melt anything.

Sidenote: Why would you use anything other than grenade underwater with engineer Dawdler? Did engineer somehow ended up relying on the power of it's weapons nowaday?

@Dadnir.5038 said:I always used the mesmer's trident underwater and never used it's fantasm attack. It's a very good weapon underwater, why would you want to change it? It's strength come from the bleed on auto attack, with 3 clones out, you melt anything.

Sidenote: Why would you use anything other than grenade underwater with engineer Dawdler? Did engineer somehow ended up relying on the power of it's weapons nowaday?

Heh yeah, last I checked engie was one of the best underwater classes purely because of nades.

@Curunen.8729 said:Ambush...

So it doesn't have stun on the AA?

But then, that's a Mirage thing, not a Trident thing. Complete package and all. If Trident is underpowered for a core Mesmer, it's underpowered, independent of the ambush. If (I know, never going to happen) hypothetically speaking in the far away Guild Wars 3 future elite specs see a few minutes of underlying class design dev work, and the stuff you gain actually comes with a cost of a mechanical downside attached (there are examples of this, such as Reaper AA in shroud not being ranged, Holosmith losing access to elite toolbelt... that's basically it), then the Ambush should be made up for by something a Mirage loses out on. Which it isn't, so there's an inherent discrepancy and imbalance because unless the Ambush is barely better than a normal attack (heh...), then a weapon cannot be balanced between core Mesmer and Mirage. Which, to be fair, is what is happening right now :tongue:

@Carighan.6758 said:

@"Curunen.8729" said:Ambush...

So it doesn't have stun on the AA?

But then, that's a Mirage thing, not a Trident thing. Complete package and all. If Trident is underpowered for a core Mesmer, it's underpowered, independent of the ambush. If (I know, never going to happen) hypothetically speaking in the far away Guild Wars 3 future elite specs see a few minutes of underlying class design dev work, and the stuff you gain actually comes with a cost of a mechanical downside attached (there are examples of this, such as Reaper AA in shroud not being ranged, Holosmith losing access to elite toolbelt... that's basically it), then the Ambush should be made up for by something a Mirage loses out on. Which it isn't, so there's an inherent discrepancy and imbalance because unless the Ambush is barely better than a normal attack (heh...), then a weapon cannot be balanced between core Mesmer and Mirage. Which, to be fair, is what is happening right now :tongue:

Ok Mr pedantic.

"Skill 1" then. Given how much frequent dodging you can build for in wvw it's pretty much the same as an auto attack.

In any case the normal auto attack is good, so I don't see the problem for core mesmer. Ambush is a benefit of the mirage traitline, by giving up taking 3 core traitlines - that's a build downside. I don't believe a mechanical downside is necessary - or should both mirage and core get an F5, and Chrono and core get ambush attacks?

@"Dawdler.8521" said:Underpowered? Lol... the mesmer is strong underwater compared to some other classes since you can still use most class mechanics (ie clones/shattering) and the weapons actually deal decent amount of damage.

Try going underwater on an engineer instead. You literally go to sleep between each torpedo shot and if it by chance is about to actually hit anything, the enemies just go "mjeh" and swim away.

I agree with the first part.However engineer is one of the strongest underwater classes you can play right now.

The power scaling on scatter mines is insane and you can use grenades, bombs (which have a shorter aftertaste uw than on land), later disk + photon forge (holosmith) all together.I doubt that there is a profession that can dish out the same damage underwater without stacking and abusing multihit "rush" attacks against a wall.

Archived