PvP/WvW Skill Split Release - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

PvP/WvW Skill Split Release

Comments

• Arcaedus.7290Arcaedus.7290 Member ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely LOVE the direction of this patch! I'd wager that with your handful of exception meta builds that will emerge after this patch, you can breath a small sigh of relief when it comes to balancing over or undertuned skills and traits for a while.

Two requests:

1. Passive trait nerfs be applied in WvW also, not only applied in pvp. I know you like to balance mainly around zerg v. zerg but in a small scale fight (such as between two groups of roamers) those passives make a huge difference.

2. Maybe it's beyond the scope of this patch, but consider a pass on the underperforming weapons/traits for each class. There seems to be some attempt at that here with a utility skill here and there which is great.

• OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think that this list looks pretty good, addresses a lot of the pain points that I think have developed since HoT.

That said, some of these passives keep getting nerfed, over and over, to the point of being pretty useless for the CD they have. Don't get me wrong, I actually love that, I hate seeing people get carried by passives, I hate being carried by passives. But when will the skills team just admit that such passives are not healthy for the game period? I really want to see most, if not all, of the passive traits that are in this list be eventually removed from the game entirely

Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

• XxsdgxX.8109XxsdgxX.8109 Member ✭✭✭

A step in the right direction. Good job ANET :+1:

• @Roxanne.6140 said:

@Tresura.5209 said:
    Desert Shroud: Increased the cooldown from 20 seconds to 30 seconds in PvP and WvW.

Kill the only possibility to play power scourge in WvW. Find another way to nerf condi.

This change nerfs condi as well. What the kitten are you all talking about? This change nerfs scourge as a class itself because both damage and survivability are taking a huge kitten to the kitten.

Sure it also nerfs condi but it nerfs other builds harder.

(POWER SCOURGE 1 Minute fight) If you do 500k damage about 200k of that damage is from desert shroud alone. I find anet should address scourge in another way instead of nerfing the diversity of scourge.

• Clownmug.8357Clownmug.8357 Member ✭✭✭

It's good that instant combo attacks are finally being acknowledged as a problem, but which changes are actually addressing them?

• ok im not sure if youve played guild wars 2 but power is most a problem but its not power its CONDITION power that is the problem. why dear god WHY am i punished for using something that is in place to help me... why is boon conversion in place? why would you have EVERY thought that was a good idea? yes power used to be meta power is not meta anymore condi is there are no two ways about it. it is meta. now then increasing power to diversify build is a very good idea. but you have not addressed the meta if you want diversify CONDI MUST BE ADDRESSED. i can see what your goal is why your attempting this but fix problems where there are problems but if you "fix" to much things that are not broken you break them.

• eoz.1834eoz.1834 Member ✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018

is warrior buffs aimed for shout warriors return to the scene? Any intention to move "Powerful Synergy" to Discipline so shout warriors can take both "Powerful Synergy" and "Vigorous Shouts"?

Edit: Any intention to increase treshold and amount of condition removed of "Shrug it off" in wvw?

• Threather.9354Threather.9354 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018

I like this patch. I am a WvW player that mostly goes around in large zergs.
    Engi: I am sad to see you nerfed the 2 of the more powerful traits in WvW and the holoform. it kinda makes my new cleanse-superspeed-dps blobsmith worse but it will still be in meta because it has some unique strengths that people have been overlooking. Eclipse got pretty much gutted but i was using zephyr anyways that is pretty good for roaming too so I dont mind. Buffing the mortar kit makes clearing acs faster which is good in this bunker siege meta.
    Mesmer and ele: Not much changes, its ok, its cool, they will still be strong part of WvW. Not sure why you made Gale Song unusable in PvP, 90 second autostunbreak??? Buffing illusion of life which is one of the best group skills for WvW is pretty interesting. Mesmer will be awesome.
    Druid and thief: Seems like druid CA got the treatment it deserved, it was uninteractive. I like to fight dagger thief when roaming so i welcome the changes. Neither will be viable in large scale fights which is ok.
    Warrior: So dagger got nerfed and sword buffed... Its good, I was already wondering if sword was better than dagger due to burst on 3 skill and better leap but it will be pretty clear now. I doubt shouts will be viable spellbreaker.
    Rev: this is good. Lot of revenants were abusing hammer damage to be useful in blob fights and now that hammer rev overall damage got nerfed like 10%, now they actually have to go ahead and use their dwarf and mallyx skills. Buffing dwarf and mallyx seems reasonable, Dwarf was already the best one to have, mallyx definitely needed some buffs.
    Guardian: Yea, healing ratio nerfs, thats ok, little worried about the resolve autoattack nerf but guess we might go back to cele builds soon since lot of other supports are coming back to meta with scourge getting gutted.
    Necromancer: Hmm, yes I can understand why you nerfed the desert shroud because you didnt want to nerf the scourges cleanse potential for allies. This will push power necros into playing reaper which I dont mind. Dagger buffs were necessary. Signet of locust will be pretty good now, instant full health, definitely viable option.

Ri Ba - WvW Commander/hard carry
    Making Desolation great again/Alt somewhere
    Diamond Legend

• XxsdgxX.8109XxsdgxX.8109 Member ✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

High Level Goals

Reduce influence of passive traits. (PvP not WvW)

• Passive skills make the game less skillful.
    • The prevalence of passives is a common competitive player complaint. (PvP only)

Yeah this is weird, I also play WvW and I really think that these sPvP nerfs should also be applied in WvW. Unless you don't want for WvW to be taken competitively? That would be terrible to think to be honest.

• 1) With out seeing the big picture for rev and these are the only changes. No one will want them any more. CoR is all we got left.
    2) Necro dagger needs help
    3) revert or change the Resistance -> Immob

• Tinnel.4369Tinnel.4369 Member ✭✭✭

Nice to see dagger Weaver getting some help, but we'll see if it's enough.

Shameless plug for F5 Unravel and condition removal stance to replace it!!

• REVENANT

Renegade and Kalla could use way more buffs than what is already proposed. Shortbow damage is still way too low, extremely. Renegade still also completely lacks sustain. So this spec needs to honestly have more damage than other specs by a fair margin rather than the lowest or the sustain needs to be increased tremendously and the damage still needs to be increased on shortbow.

Hammer is not a lethal weapon. Outside of zerging it really has no use amongst anyone that is good at your game so you are kind of pandering to the lower skill crowd with this change. I rarely even use hammer in zergs as it is already.

Condi rev is also extremely underperforming in pvp right now. It can't even compete with power rev. Mace #2 field is too small and damage ramp up too low compared to other condi specs. Mallyx is also ironically extremely weak to condis coming from the more potent condi specs (condi thief, scourge). Condi rev is also extremely weak to power damage due to having 0 tools to deal with it that are beneficial to a condi spec.

• I want to re-emphasize the importance of reducing the amount of unnecessary skill splits. I feel that all of the proposed buffs affect skills and traits that are underperforming in PvE, and they would not come to change the PvE meta with these buffs. Therefore they should not be split between gamemodes. This reduces the amount of potential player confusion and build differences from one gamemode to the next, while still accomplishing the same goals in PvP and WvW.

• I would agree warrior is pretty strong, but it seems like a lot of abilities are getting hit pretty hard. Probably a bit more than needed. I was actually expecting a few more holo skills to see damage reductions, but it is a good start. I am hoping someone forgot to copy+paste the rest of the mesmer notes as I was expecting a number of.... adjustments? ;)

• @Kovu.7560 said:

@Threather.9354 said:
    Druid: Seems like druid CA got the treatment it deserved, it was uninteractive. [Druid] will not be viable in large scale fights which is ok.

How is that remotely okay? Group support is entirely why Druid exists.

~ Kovu

It wasnt viable before either. Ventari rev, melee tempest, melee rev, firebrand, boonshare chrono etc were all just outperforming it outright. No reliable CC, no unique support, not enough group cleanse or boonshare...

Diamond Legend

• arnitheking.8427arnitheking.8427 Member ✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018

@JayAction.9056 said:
    REVENANT

Renegade and Kalla could use way more buffs than what is already proposed. Shortbow damage is still way too low, extremely. Renegade still also completely lacks sustain. So this spec needs to honestly have more damage than other specs by a fair margin rather than the lowest or the sustain needs to be increased tremendously and the damage still needs to be increased on shortbow.

Hammer is not a lethal weapon. Outside of zerging it really has no use amongst anyone that is good at your game so you are kind of pandering to the lower skill crowd with this change. I rarely even use hammer in zergs as it is already.

Condi rev is also extremely underperforming in pvp right now. It can't even compete with power rev. Mace #2 field is too small and damage ramp up too low compared to other condi specs. Mallyx is also ironically extremely weak to condis coming from the more potent condi specs (condi thief, scourge). Condi rev is also extremely weak to power damage due to having 0 tools to deal with it that are beneficial to a condi spec.

I fully agree with what you said in the first paragraph, additionally I think the summons need to work like wells in wvw already (now they jsut get destroyed instantly), but CoR nerf was long overdue and youll still easily get top dps alongside some weavers in open fights, and honestly the nerf isnt even that crazy
    And I fully agree with the entire third paragraph again

EDIT: also shortbow is still clunky af

• Instead of brutally murdering any chance Scourge has at all in higher level PvP (and not doing other Necro variants much of a favor with other nerfs), why not just rework Sand Savant?

Without the ability to cover an entire point with a single shade in PvP, Scourge loses its oppressive nature while retaining its threat. Remove the radius increase on Shade abilities from Sand Savant, rework the trait as a whole (no more single shade, though target increase and reduced recharge should be fine to keep) and Scourge will actually have to place multiple shades out to cover a capture point, meaning they can't do so indefinitely.

Plague Signet is the only skill in the game that is worse when traited.

• Kovu.7560Kovu.7560 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Threather.9354 said:

@Kovu.7560 said:

@Threather.9354 said:
    Druid: Seems like druid CA got the treatment it deserved, it was uninteractive. [Druid] will not be viable in large scale fights which is ok.

How is that remotely okay? Group support is entirely why Druid exists.

~ Kovu

It wasnt viable before either. Ventari rev, melee tempest, melee rev, firebrand, boonshare chrono etc were all just outperforming it outright. No reliable CC, no unique support, not enough group cleanse or boonshare...

Yeah, so lets nerf it further, instead of addressing those issues.

~ Kovu

Ranger main before it was viable.
    Fort Aspenwood.

• Zlater.6789Zlater.6789 Member ✭✭✭

Feedback for changes to ranger
    I'm a really big fan of the high level changes you've made but I think you might have missed some really good ones and hit some that aren't relevant:

• rejuvenating tides is seeing a very good nerf, one that was probably a little overdue.
    • solar beam nerf is ok but pretty pointless to nerf damage an a set that doesn't do damage.
    • celestial avatar recharge increase creates too much of a split between PvP and PvE, I don't think this is the right way to nerf druids sustain because it affects every druid build, there is a better way that is more in line with your goals.

Some things that I thought you missed:

• empathic bond could very much use a buff, as it is it contributes less to dealing with conditions than with wilderness knowledge.
      Nerf Staff not CA
      When you read complaints about druid on the forum you read "afk pressing 1" not "omg unkillable ca combo." People hate the passive game play of staff, less the active usage of CA. It's not because CA is weak, but rather because staff is too strong. Look at meta battle and it's very clear that the meta kit for druids is almost always staff.

• solar beam, this is the problem skill in PvP and WvW, more than any CA ability, this skill contributes most heavily to the passive playstyle of druid. I would recommend decreasing the healing contribution by at least 50% if not more.

• astral wisp, much like solar beam this skill is actually kind of unhealthy, its a set and forget skill that pumps out aoe healing and damage and will hit people who are still fleeing.
    • ancestral grace, this is actually an overall pretty well designed skill, because of the blast combo though I think that it is also a bit too good for what it does. Consider reducing its healing by around 20%.
  • @Kovu.7560 said:

@Threather.9354 said:

~ Kovu

They would need to rework ranger weapons for it. Which is not obviously going to happen in this patch. Theres just no viable weapons for fights that deal enough damage or CC. Also some utility skills would need to give stab, aegis, superspeed, clenase, quickness, resistance etc for allies. Ranger is just too pet reliant for the weapons to be good.

Diamond Legend

• Menzo.2185Menzo.2185 Member ✭✭✭

Can you make a bigger Health Pool for all professions? Zerker Weaver 12k is ridiculous, same for Guardians, thieves, all.
    25% - 40% more health (HP) could be a great change for more strategic and collectives battles, than HK ones.

• Prophet.1584Prophet.1584 Member ✭✭✭

@Turk.5460 said:

@Prophet.1584 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    A message from the Competitive and Skills & Balance Teams:

LB and GS are a ranger or soulbeasts primary DPS weapons in WvW, optionally Sw/x in place of GS. These are the weapons that could use damage increases to make up for the loss of sustain.

The point was to create more options for build diversity. Almost every power SB I see uses LB and GS. Why the heck would they want to further make those weapons the go-to choice? That's the opposite of their end goal.

The simple answer is because those are our best power weapons and GS provides the best cleave we have. The axe is a wannabe hybrid weapon that completely under-performs so why buff it and not buff weapons like LB that when traited can give rangers some cleave or GS. Axe may get used by roamers but thats only one aspect of WvW play and the range is too short to survive the pirate ship.

• Kovu.7560Kovu.7560 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Threather.9354 said:

@Kovu.7560 said:

@Threather.9354 said:

~ Kovu

They would need to rework ranger weapons for it. Which is not obviously going to happen in this patch. Theres just no viable weapons for fights that deal enough damage or CC. Also some utility skills would need to give stab, aegis, superspeed, clenase, quickness, resistance etc for allies. Ranger is just too pet reliant for the weapons to be good.

I mean, you're right. As it is now I don't disagree.
    But that said, change the support aspects to be more geared towards supporting your party more consistently instead of relying on supplementary damage. Gear the healing towards being more consistent instead of so bursty and make changes that'll help the Druid be more efficient in those large group situations without turning them into personal sustain gods in the small scale. 'Outgoing Healing' is a thing.
    I made some suggestions on the previous page in regards to that, though there are any number of directions they could take it.

~ Kovu

Ranger main before it was viable.
    Fort Aspenwood.

• Felipe.1807Felipe.1807 Member ✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    A message from the Competitive and Skills & Balance Teams:

General

• Rune of Surging has been removed from the PvP build panel
    • Magi Amulet has been removed from the PvP build panel

Guardian

Skills

• Tome of Resolve – Epilogue: Eternal Oasis: Reduced the bonus heal effectiveness from 33% to 20% in PvP and WvW
    • Tome of Resolve – Chapter 2: Radiant Recovery: Reduced the healing power coefficient per condition cleansed from 0.77 to 0.5 (-35%) in PvP and WvW
    • Tome of Resolve – Chapter 1: Desert Bloom: Reduced the healing power coefficient from 0.96 to 0.8 (-17%) in PvP and WvW
    • Signet of Resolve: Reduced the cooldown from 35 seconds to 30 seconds in PvP and WvW
    • Leap of Faith: Increased the power coefficient from 1.1 to 1.25 (+14%) in PvP and WvW
    • Signet of Mercy: Reduced the cooldown from 150 seconds to 90 seconds in PvP and WvW
    • Sword of Justice: Reduced the ammo recharge time from 25 seconds to 20 seconds in PvP and WvW
    • Bow of Truth: Reduced the ammo recharge time from 30 seconds to 25 seconds in PvP and WvW
    • Hammer of Wisdom: Reduced the ammo recharge time from 30 seconds to 25 seconds in PvP and WvW
    • Feel my Wrath: Reduced the cooldown from 45 seconds to 35 seconds in PvP and WvW

Traits

• Virtuous Solace: Increased the cooldown from 75 seconds to 90 seconds in PvP only
    • Hunter's Determination: Increased the cooldown from 75 seconds to 90 seconds in PvP only
    • Zealous Blade: Increased the bonus damage from 5% to 10% in PvP and WvW

I am all up for changes, but come on lol more nerfs to FB??! And more buffs to Spirit Weapons?! This cant be serious, Anet gotta be trolling at this point...what is the end goal here, turn FB support into Shout Warrior level or something? If you guys dont want Support/Bunker specs to be viable on the game its cool, but atleast give us something to play that can be competitive.
    And now Magi will be removed too...FB trying to hold a point is bad, but a power Mesmer being able to erase you in a sec is okay? Next expasion better give guardians some kind of ninja elite spec that can evade, teleport, stealth and deal heavy damage, since in this game the only thing allowed is damage...that or undo the nerfs to DH.

• WvW perspective on most of this

Lot of this is great, Scourge nerfs in are 10000% deserved and i think will do better for the mode overall

But, please, PLEASE change resist ->immobilize corruption; this single interaction heavily discourages any melee builds. I get that this would probably have to be a game-wide change, however this funtionality is practically useless in basically all PvE content, and has next to no meaningful interactions in PvP

Some specific notes:

Battle Standard: Reduced the cooldown from 240 seconds to 180 seconds in PvP and WvW - This is 100% just worse than transfusion in almost every scenario, where transfuse can near instant revive while also moving allies out of WoD or cleave. I'd suggest to increase the banner impact heal by 100% to counteract poison, to make it unique and guarantee a rally so this skill has at least some viability. Basically everything warrior can do, scourge has in its toolbox and does it better.

Vengeful Hammers: Reduced the upkeep cost from 7 to 6 in PvP and WvW - using this skill more often than not just loses you health outright due to retaliation. It's just a complete waste of energy, either increase its healing to mitigate retal dps or make it destroy projectiles or something useful

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018

Elusive Mind - decent idea to add Exhaustion, although bear in mind Mirage still only has 2 dodge bars therefore 4s of zero endurance regen could be too punishing. Will have to be monitored carefully.

Also bear in mind unique nature of Mirage dodge compared to Daredevil - Mirage can still dodge when stunned even without EM - this puts EM in the weird situation where it can be a detrimental trait.

Example - on Mirage without EM you will be able to dodge while stunned, not break the stun (but if it is short duration wait it out), and maintain endurance regen. With EM you will break the stun but lose endurance regen for 4s - but the question is is breaking the stun always necessary? I'd argue that it isn't always necessary, especially with short duration dazes and stuns (less than 1 second), such that EM becomes a negative effect trait. What if I want to evade but NOT break stun, and clear a condition?

Finally Exhaustion could be addressed at this point because I believe UC was excessively nerfed in the past. Exhaustion could provide only a 50% reduction in endurance regen (same as weakness) rather than 100% reduction.

Alternative solution I would prefer - a flat ICD of 10s on the stunbreak portion, with a clear visual tell - ie icon on status bar, aura arround player, UI effect on endurance meter, etc.

IH hybrid | My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• Drinks.2361Drinks.2361 Member ✭✭✭

Resistance converting to immob is a huge problem in WvW. Resistance was the only real dependable counter to getting immobilized in AoE before, now it pretty much guarantees you'll get caught.

• Xarimath.4518Xarimath.4518 Member ✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018

I'm loving you.

when does it go live?

• Rym.1469Rym.1469 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018

Kinda funny to see things like Soothing Bastion getting increased cd, but I get that it's for consistency ;D .

When it comes to amulets, I talked about this in the past. Additional profession-specific (or putting 2-3 similar professions into a group and assigning group-specific) amulets and runes would go a long way in bringing new builds to the table. More often than not, an amulet has to be removed because of just one profession abusing it and all builds on other classes which strive to do the same get punished. Removing Magi from Guardian, but leaving it for Necro is an example. You could even make it specialization-specific (so Guardian has access to X amulet on core, but for Y elite guardian specialization it's locked for being too synergistic).

Skimming through the changes, Warrior seems to be getting a noticeable nerf. Time will tell if it's needed, but just a quick note: Since the new Physical trait is cut in 1/3 for WvW and PvP, you could buff Rampage damage in these game modes to match the previous state. Losing 23% damage is a big deal and I think it was just overlooked.

As far as Scourge goes, could you just take out Sand Savant out of the game and nerf Scourge this way instead. Pretty please, it's one of the dumbest traits in history that essentialy, as a final trait, removes the decision-making of Scourge you've added in the first and subsequent minors.

Yeah, I stream once in a blue moon.

• Threather.9354Threather.9354 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018

I am not sure if I agree with reverting the resistance corrupting to immob for WvW like lot of people here suggest.

If there would just be enough players on commander with AoE clenase, there would be no conditions at all with the new specs like scourge, holo, firebrand.

Real guilds have no problem with it. Why do these people do?

Diamond Legend

• Lahmia.2193Lahmia.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018

Can the Well of Suffering buff be universal please or at least wvw as well? - this kindly power necro

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."

• Please for the love of everything holy, bring back 7s CD for reaper shroud, base degen rate, and perma 25% move speed in shroud. this is needed SOOO MUCH in WVW.

CD-FA-TC-HoD-SoS-TC-FA-SBI-SoS-JQ-ET-SFR-FA-DR-SF- Mag
    Darth

• @ImperialWL.7138 said:
    I wouldn't complain, I get you're mesmer main but for an idea of the favouritism just compare the length of nerfs mesmer got to the length of nerfs every other profession in the game received.

I don't disagree with you, but the physical length of a section of patch notes has no bearing on their severity. More text doesn't equal more change. I think that mesmer needs some additional changes, but let's at least try to discuss them in meaningful ways.

• Nibbles.1740Nibbles.1740 Member
    edited February 22, 2018

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

High Level Goals

Reduce influence of passive traits. (PvP not WvW)

• Passive skills make the game less skillful.
    • The prevalence of passives is a common competitive player complaint. (PvP only)

Why the passive trait nerfs only in PvP and not in WvW?
    I'd argue that they have an even bigger impact in 'making the game less skillful' in WvW than they do in sPvP

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ImperialWL.7138 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:
    Elusive Mind - decent idea to add Exhaustion, although bear in mind Mirage still only has 2 dodge bars therefore 4s of zero endurance regen could be too punishing. Will have to be monitored carefully.

Also bear in mind unique nature of Mirage dodge compared to Daredevil - Mirage can still dodge when stunned even without EM - this puts EM in the weird situation where it can be a detrimental trait.

Example - on Mirage without EM you will be able to dodge while stunned, not break the stun (but if it is short duration wait it out), and maintain endurance regen. With EM you will break the stun but lose endurance regen for 4s - but the question is is breaking the stun always necessary? I'd argue that it isn't always necessary, especially with short duration dazes and stuns (less than 1 second), such that EM becomes a negative effect trait. What if I want to evade but NOT break stun, and clear a condition?

Finally Exhaustion could be addressed at this point because I believe UC was excessively nerfed in the past. Exhaustion could provide only a 50% reduction in endurance regen (same as weakness) rather than 100% reduction.

Alternative solution I would prefer - a flat ICD of 10s on the stunbreak portion, with a clear visual tell - ie icon on status bar, aura arround player, UI effect on endurance meter, etc.

I wouldn't complain, I get you're mesmer main but for an idea of the favouritism just compare the length of nerfs mesmer got to the length of nerfs every other profession in the game received.

Oh I'm not that bothered - but I am noting the delicate situation of this trait where it can go from overpowered to becoming something bad for your build, due to the unique nature of Mirage dodge allowing evasion while stunned anyway.

IH hybrid | My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• Since there will be an increased CD on scourge skills,please,consider an equal adjustment on Life Force consumption.....and please,pvp and wvw those warning are making me bleed my eyes.

This discussion has been closed.
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.