Ez passives fix

Obindo.6802

Just dedicate the special action button as a slot for (what is currently) passive traits. For example passive endure pain and elixir s will fill that slot when you're below respective thresholds just like f2 on thief gets filled with stolen abilities. Can't you just fix it with smthing like this instead of butchering everything that has anything to do with passive traits.This would obv mean removing the useless coliseum special action ability.

@Obindo.6802 said:

@Exciton.8942 said:Sounds OP as kitten to me.

Passive traits are already too strong and you are suggesting to make them even stronger?

No I'm not. I'm suggesting a change in how they function,

If anything, they need more counterplay, not more player control over them.

e.g. have CD icon on the player bar so everyone knows what is going on.

@Exciton.8942 said:

Passive traits are already too strong and you are suggesting to make them even stronger?

If u have an idea of a change that's but great, but that doesn't mean that there can only be 1 and everything else is against yoursAltho I do think there should be more player control, which idk why u would ever not want player control. Unfortunate that u disagree.

@Obindo.6802 said:

If u have an idea of a change that's but great, but that doesn't mean that there can only be 1 and everything else is against yoursAltho I do think there should be more player control, which idk why u would ever not want player control. Unfortunate that u disagree.

Okay. I think it is definitely an interesting idea and I over-reacted a bit.

The problem is that those passive proc effects are honestly quite strong. Giving player control is like giving you extra high-impact utilities. Overall, I find it a bit too easy currently to cycle skill CDs in the game already so I don't want to see more availability of such utilities.

@Exciton.8942 said:

Okay. I think it is definitely an interesting idea and I over-reacted a bit.

The problem is that those passive proc effects are honestly quite strong. Giving player control is like giving you extra high-impact utilities. Overall, I find it a bit too easy currently to cycle skill CDs in the game already so I don't want to see more availability of such utilities.

Strength of the traits is one thing and can always be changed, Im just suggesting a change in how they work so it's no longer passive and "omg saved coz passive"

Whilst Arenanet's changes make passives less prevalent, and your suggestion makes them more active, the better solution would be to remove/rework all overpowered passives from the game. This includes all passive invulns, stealths, stunbreaks as well as other powerful traits such as Protective Ward.

If ANet still wants the traits to provide similar functionality, a better alternative would be to make traits such as "Reduce the cooldown of your blocks by 20%" and such. Although I think it would be better to just make them into something completely different.

I've never much been against the passive defenses as I have always seen them as the counter build option to one shot builds and to slow down +1 strategies. Having said that, I've never been for them either and appreciate the issues they generate trying to achieve skillful play.

If the passives are problematic then they should be removed, keeping them in their current iteration but with a longer cooldown doesn't address the problem or provide a solution: the passives will still provide "get out of jail for free" cards but only a little less often. The issue will remain and the change will have little overall impact to their reception by players.

I understand that this is a trait split, not a functionality split, but they honestly need to stop doubling down on problematic mechanics, trying to solve them over a multitude of cooldown iterations, before finally addressing them on the mechanical level they need.

Changing the trait mechanics to require active use is a great idea, but providing them in addition to a normal skill bar feels terrible and would be just as problematic after the proposed balance changes. IF the underlying theme of the trait absolutely must be kept then I would be more for a cooldown reduction on that specific skill so (1) active play is required and (2) the player is forced to slot the skill to make use of the trait.

GW2 has a lot of problems ever since specialization update with trait activators and passives, because unlike games like World of Warcraft traits don't add new buttons, just alter existing ones at most.

I can't see special action hotkey turning into an actual skill keybind, I can however see F6 being added, just like F5. Let's be honest, nobody semi-serious has F1-F5 skills on default keybinds anyway unless they use some specific keyboard or have very long fingers.

Passives that trigger on HP tresholds don't need a keybind by the way - they need a cooldown timer. A weakaura of sorts.Besides, realistically speaking, many of those passives are just a result of lack of creativity (just like plain stat conversions) and could be simply reworked into better traits. For example, some (not all) of the passives could just add an another charge to skill you have to equip on your bars. I'm not thinking Elixir S, but Balanced Stance for example.

@Exciton.8942 said:

Having an icon is not counterplay to a passively proccing immune. There is no counterplay to these. They just need to be removed already, but this was a huge step in the right direction

@Rym.1469 said:GW2 has a lot of problems ever since specialization update with trait activators and passives, because unlike games like World of Warcraft traits don't add new buttons, just alter existing ones at most.

I can't see special action hotkey turning into an actual skill keybind, I can however see F6 being added, just like F5. Let's be honest, nobody semi-serious has F1-F5 skills on default keybinds anyway unless they use some specific keyboard or have very long fingers.

Passives that trigger on HP tresholds don't need a keybind by the way - they need a cooldown timer. A weakaura of sorts.Besides, realistically speaking, many of those passives are just a result of lack of creativity (just like plain stat conversions) and could be simply reworked into better traits. For example, some (not all) of the passives could just add an another charge to skill you have to equip on your bars. I'm not thinking Elixir S, but Balanced Stance for example.

Actually depending on which profession you play you very well might have default keybinds I honestly have pretty decent sized hands so using f1- f4 is not an issue for me.although i dont want them added anymore extra buttons hitting f5 is weird to me simply because of how keyboards are generally designed with a gap between f4 and f5. for the love of god please dont add and f6

In all honestly each profession type should have had different variations of how these passive traits workScholar / light armor professions should have had theirs remain as they are. Its magic it can work like that and most of the light armor professions dont have anything super crazy for their on disable or 50% threshold passives. (till you look at mesmer)

But when you look at heavy armor professions having all this invuln to damage and crits and in most cases have 2 activations of it when you count the passive version and the active version that should fore sure not be a thing. Ideally they should only have active skills like that not passive ones.

When it comes down to medium armor professions they have the most stealth and mobility in general and should not have passive or active things like these at all they should have been designed to have a high risk high reward play style that rewards that mobility when used properly

Archived