Kasmeer and Marjory — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Kasmeer and Marjory

dontlook.1823dontlook.1823 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 24, 2018 in Lore

So I've been thinking for a while now about the fact that our Hero has no love interest. That aside. I was thinking that towards the end of this most recent Living World (Season 4) We may lose another companion. Because the loss of Eir was rather sad as she was probably one of the coolest out of Destiny's Edge.

I was thinking that towards the end of the current LW we should lose Marjory in an Epic battle. Only to has Kasmeer go through some crazy Mesmer rampage ( Super Cry of frustration). But this loss has a twist.... Marjory comes back as a Necrotic Ghost... With powerful new shroud abilities through the new Ghost Shroud. Cashmere doesn't reach her resolve until she finally realizes her love is still with her.. even in death. This way their love story can take a back seat and maybe give our hero a chance for center stage with a love interest.

More importantly, though, I think seeing something like this would be cool because it would give more of a transition into upcoming Elite specs as oppose to them having a clip of backstory (such as time in the dessert has bonded you closer with your pet).

Anyways this is just purely fan-fiction but something really interesting to see....

More, more. More is always better. Chakata

<1

Comments

• dontlook.1823dontlook.1823 Member ✭✭✭

@Jinn Galen.2468 said:
    Ghost shroud sounds fun. Does that mean necros can finally have evasion?

go nuts with it. evasion, invul. I think it would make for a great elite spec with maybe a sword or hammer.

• @dontlook.1823 said:
    I was thinking that towards the end of the current LW we should lose Marjory in an Epic battle. Only to has Kasmeer go through some crazy Mesmer rampage ( Super Cry of frustration).

You mean like at the end of Season 1 where Kasmeer thought Marjory had been killed by Scarlet leading to the first (and only) kiss depicted in either guild wars games?

They almost had killed Marjory then. They even wrote and voiced the clips for it, and the aftermath "party" where Logan unintentionally-insensitively offered his condolences. During this, Scarlet named Mordremoth, and the group took up the name Destiny's Orphans.

But they felt it was too cliche, IIRC, or something like that.

edited February 26, 2018

@Nilkemia.8507 said:
    So, is the main point trying to kill off one of them again, or trying to get our character a love interest? Either one sounds unnecessary.

The main point is to introduce new elite spec towards the end of LW. No one is going away. Since Marjory will be a ghost. The love interest thing was a maybe. IDC for that either way. I do think giving all elite specs a little bit more of a backstory/lore would be cool.

Ghost shroud could finally give necros a highly mobile build with evades and invuls. That and attacks with high power coefficients in addition to good condition application. Giving way for a true power/condi hybrid that exceeds that of the power reaper, of course. O with Grieving stats being its best in slot :bleep_bloop:

• Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018

@Edelweiss.4261 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BuryYourGays

Let's not kill Kasmeer or Marjory please.

I'd be ok with Braham or Taimi going -- Braham is just constantly hounding you for no particular reason, and Taimi's an obnoxious deus ex machina. Marjory is the only one with an actual personality, so I definitely don't want to see her go.

Why not? Why should they be immune to getting killed because of their sexuality? Preferential treatment is just as bad as discrimination.

The tvtropes link provided links to an interesting thesis(theses?). It's lengthy, so I haven't yet read all of it. One argument that seemed compelling to me was in relation to how young gay readers likely encounter someone like themselves for the first time when consuming media. I can definitely say that this was true for me. It was kind of the first time I was allowed to have a role-model that I didn't worry would hate me. Killing such a character in a less than meaningful way could be interpreted as saying "this is what happens to people like you". Now that's not necessarily the case, but meaning can exist without authorial intent. Additionally, that was once a fairly common sentiment. This isn't to say it should never happen, but it should be well thought-out. Based on what comes after the link, I think it's fair to say that the person you quoted likes Marjory as a character. Perhaps, they wanted to caution against quick decisions before stating their opinion, or, perhaps, they are just including it to include a reason outside of their wants. I wouldn't know which or think it matters much.

Either way, we should be cautious when killing off a character. Killing a character just to kill a character is, in my opinion, an oft-used crutch to compensate for poor writing. Death should have some point in fiction(such as highlighting how pointless it is in reality).

I don't care what some social justice nitwit writes a thesis about, to be completely frank with you. I gave up on TV tropes because they have taken a turn towards that kind of ideology. But that is neither here nor there. My point is:

If you want gay people (or rather in this case, gay fictional characters) to be seen as equal, they need to be treated equally in all regards: this means no discrimination nor preferential treatment because of their sexuality. Neither Kas nor Jory should enjoy some kind of protected status because they like to do the horizontal monster mash together.

Personally, I've grown cynical at the unecessary fridging of my waifu Eir (yes, I realize the irony of using such a term after I just lambasted TV tropes - it is very much intentional on my part) so I just want them to kill Braham at this point, and feel entirely indifferent to the fates of the other members of the main cast.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• I'm not really a big fan of the bury your gays trope.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Edelweiss.4261 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:

I'd be ok with Braham or Taimi going -- Braham is just constantly hounding you for no particular reason, and Taimi's an obnoxious deus ex machina. Marjory is the only one with an actual personality, so I definitely don't want to see her go.

Why not? Why should they be immune to getting killed because of their sexuality? Preferential treatment is just as bad as discrimination.

The tvtropes link provided links to an interesting thesis(theses?). It's lengthy, so I haven't yet read all of it. One argument that seemed compelling to me was in relation to how young gay readers likely encounter someone like themselves for the first time when consuming media. I can definitely say that this was true for me. It was kind of the first time I was allowed to have a role-model that I didn't worry would hate me. Killing such a character in a less than meaningful way could be interpreted as saying "this is what happens to people like you". Now that's not necessarily the case, but meaning can exist without authorial intent. Additionally, that was once a fairly common sentiment. This isn't to say it should never happen, but it should be well thought-out. Based on what comes after the link, I think it's fair to say that the person you quoted likes Marjory as a character. Perhaps, they wanted to caution against quick decisions before stating their opinion, or, perhaps, they are just including it to include a reason outside of their wants. I wouldn't know which or think it matters much.

Either way, we should be cautious when killing off a character. Killing a character just to kill a character is, in my opinion, an oft-used crutch to compensate for poor writing. Death should have some point in fiction(such as highlighting how pointless it is in reality).

I don't care what some social justice nitwit writes a thesis about, to be completely frank with you. I gave up on TV tropes because they have taken a turn towards that kind of ideology. But that is neither here nor there. My point is:

If you want gay people (or rather in this case, gay fictional characters) to be seen as equal, they need to be treated equally in all regards: this means no discrimination nor preferential treatment because of their sexuality. Neither Kas nor Jory should enjoy some kind of protected status because that they like to do the horizontal monster mash with each-other.

Personally, I've grown cynical at the unecessary fridging of my waifu Eir (yes, I realize the irony of using such a term after I just lambasted TV tropes - it is very much intentional on my part) so I just want them to kill Braham at this point, and feel entirely indifferent to the fates of the other members of the main cast.

Goodness me. Bram has room for growth. A lot people are overlooking this. I mean come on.... How can everyone be so heartless. He lost his Mom. I know there isn't much back story between them but like empathy? How would you feel if you lost your Mom doing what she does best? Personally I'd be a wreck. The fact that he can even carry on is very honorable.

If anything killing Jory but having her come back as a Ghost to where Cash and Jory are bond together even in death I think is a positive thing rather then negative. Not sure why people see it as a thoughtless offing of another member of our team.

I mean till death due us part..... o'rly?

@dontlook.1823 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Edelweiss.4261 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:

If you want gay people (or rather in this case, gay fictional characters) to be seen as equal, they need to be treated equally in all regards: this means no discrimination nor preferential treatment because of their sexuality. Neither Kas nor Jory should enjoy some kind of protected status because that they like to do the horizontal monster mash with each-other.

Goodness me. Bram has room for growth. A lot people are overlooking this. I mean come on.... How can everyone be so heartless. He lost his Mom. I know there isn't much back story between them but like empathy? How would you feel if you lost your Mom doing what she does best? Personally I'd be a wreck. The fact that he can even carry on is very honorable.

I'm not against what is happening with Braham on principle. Had they handled Eir's death and his subsequent character development well enough, I'd be fine with it.

But it is the worst writing from Anet since they made Tree Jebus steal the spotlight in our own personal story.

Especially in how our characters are so whimpy around him. My Norn knew Eir better than he did via his personal story. He should slap Braham upside the head for dishonouring his mother by acting like an emo teenager - it is unbefitting a Norn and her son. But no, my Norn turns into a submissive, apologetic little girl whenever he is around Braham and it makes my blood boil.

Braham's character development (if you wanna call it that) was a huge mistake that needs to be undone.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@dontlook.1823 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Edelweiss.4261 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:

I'm not against what is happening with Braham on principle. Had they handled Eir's death and his subsequent character development well enough, I'd be fine with it.

But it is the worst writing from Anet since they made Tree Jebus steal the spotlight in our own personal story.

Especially in how our characters are so whimpy around him. My Norn knew Eir better than he did via his personal story. He should slap Braham upside the head for dishonouring his mother by acting like an emo teenager - it is unbefitting a Norn and her son. But no, my Norn turns into a submissive, apologetic little girl whenever he is around Braham and it makes my blood boil.

Braham's character development (if you wanna call it that) was a huge mistake that needs to be undone.

I'm sure they will give him the development/ growth he needs. On another note, "Tree Jebus" hahahahahaha I'm dying!

• Lol, I'm pretty sure 80% of the storyline is based on some sort of D&D setup, where the characters' fates are decided upon by the roll of the dice. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.

• Ithilwen.1529Ithilwen.1529 Member ✭✭✭✭

Kasmeer and Majory are two of my favorite characters. If someone needs to die, kill off brahm please. Personally though, I think that ANET has played the death card about as much as will really work for now. Even death gets "old hat" if overused.

Mesmerizing Girl

• I don't really want my character to have a love interest, if anything the guild wars story has showed us that getting close to someone is either difficult and stressful, Marjory and Kasmeer arn't exactly blissful love birds, or it's fraught with grief like Braham and Eir. Not to mention Logan and the Queen who have to cope with constant distance and secrecy. Love for heroes in Tyria just doesn't work out.

You don't win friends with salad!

• Sublimatio.6981Sublimatio.6981 Member ✭✭✭

Character that shouldn't be killed

• Marjory - One of the very few with actual character, and still has unresolved plot with the ministry guard. Great potential for future writing. Also, good jokes.
    • Rytlock - Same as Marjory pretty much, and he's too hard to kill anyway
    • Canach - While I wouldn't mind if someone cut off his tongue, this character's death wouldn't be that heartbreaking, it would be more annoying or confusing.
    • Braham - Killing him would be too obvious and anyone with some level of maturity would see this as cheap way to make playerbase happy. Killing protagonists is supposed to shatter people, and Braham, while badly written (like every norn, because ANET treats them like humans and not like they have their own culture), he gets the job done as character designed to be hated by players. His role isn't to die. His role is to be the conflict or a rival.
    • Caithe - She's too important and too impossible to kill. Her death also wouldn't be very impactful anymore.

Characters that are viable candidates for death.

• Rox - Pretty much a filler NPC just waiting for her turn to die to advance the story progression somehow. Also, her eyes are anime-like and totally charr immersion-breaking, let's just erase her. We already have Rytlock, she can now retire.
    • Kasmeer - While personally I wouldn't like to see her go, her backstory is all done and she got a lot of screentime. Killing her would propel Marjory's potential writing immensely, and the players themselves would react with great emotional response - Kasmeer is one of the more innocent, kind NPCs, so her death would cause sadness, melancholy or hate towards her killer (and it's important that your villain is hated by players).
    • Taimi - Similarly to Kasmeer, a lot of players love her, so let's kill her! Let's be evil! That being said, she's the most annoying deus ex machina. Zojja should come back in her place. Besides, Zojja has better insults.
    • Logan - Just to get this out of the way. Maybe he will finally reunite with Magdaer somewhere in the mists. Maybe Eir will give it to him. Lmao.

"clang clang shriiiiek clang!" -Belinda Delaqua
    When I join your LFG

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sublimatio.6981 said:
    Character that shouldn't be killed

• Marjory - One of the very few with actual character, and still has unresolved plot with the ministry guard. Great potential for future writing. Also, good jokes.

The Ministry Guard plot is closed. It was tied to Caudecus and the White Mantle, and that was part of Season 3.

That said, you could make the same argument for Eir and Zojja but... well...

@Sublimatio.6981 said:
    Characters that are viable candidates for death.

• Rox - Pretty much a filler NPC just waiting for her turn to die to advance the story progression somehow. Also, her eyes are anime-like and totally charr immersion-breaking, let's just erase her. We already have Rytlock, she can now retire.

Funny that you brought up the Ministry Guard "unresolved" plot for Marjory, but overlook the fact that Rox is apparently spying on us for someone. That smells like unresolved plot if anything else can, yet she's just a filler NPC?

Rox has more unresolved plot than Rytlock, who is only involved so much because he's a "fan" favorite (aka ArenaNet likes having him around because he cockblocks story progression and lore exposition until the time is right - aka "later, cub.")

@Sublimatio.6981 said:

• Logan - Just to get this out of the way. Maybe he will finally reunite with Magdaer somewhere in the mists. Maybe Eir will give it to him. Lmao.

Magdaer was given to a norn blacksmith (likely Beigarth). If it is Beigarth, than we may see Logan with it next time the Pact comes rolling, since he could now officially order Beigarth to finish that kitten thing (and Beigarth may want to out of responsibility towards not finishing it for Eir).

• Sublimatio.6981Sublimatio.6981 Member ✭✭✭

@Konig Des Todes.2086
    what I meant by Marjory's unresolved plot is her interaction with Mendel. From wiki: The case of the ghost boy remains unsolved to this day.
    I'm hoping to get a side story where she finishes the investigation and brings people responsible for justice. And gives Mendel peace or something. Thats unresolved and Caudecus is only a background in this case.

That Rox line in season 2 doesn't say she's spying on us, that's just your speculation. Besides, that's literally one instance of dialogue (optional even? i don't remember) so it probably lies in the category of irrelevant. And yeah she's definitely the most filler-NPC of all dragon's watch guild. She never has anything meaningful to say, I think she was the most important when she returned Garm to Hoelbrak, what an achievement :P

"clang clang shriiiiek clang!" -Belinda Delaqua
    When I join your LFG

• Cuddy.6247Cuddy.6247 Member ✭✭✭

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    She might have bad eye design

All the better to spy on you with. B)

• Rognik.2579Rognik.2579 Member ✭✭✭

@Konig Des Todes.2086
    And even if you did, just like that magical locket or Malyck, the time to bring it up has come and gone.

While I agree these plot threads have been dangling for a long time, I disagree that the time to bring them up has come and gone. I mean, although the White Mantle were in the game since day 1, it took until Season 3 for them to be relevant for anyone who wasn't a human character who had lost their parents. I don't see us going back into the Maguuma any time soon, and even if we did, finding another Pale Tree is going to be extremely unlikely, so Malyck is probably going to end up a footnote. The locket, however, could come back should Jennah be severely injured somehow and needs a temporary regent (assuming the Ministry doesn't get restored or Anise doesn't just take over). I'd hate to lose Jennah, and I feel there might still be more for her "love story" with Logan, but the locket could just be one of the many seeds being planted that can be called up any time they want.

As for the other characters, I like nearly all of the characters, even Braham. I admit, Eir's son is not carrying out her legacy very well, but we saw very little of him since killing Mordremoth and has time to come around still. Rox is cool, but she needs her own storyline, not just play an extra in Braham's life; maybe we'll learn about how she knows Rytlock so well. Marjory has a very entertaining femme-fatale vibe to her, but I wish she could use her detective side more, something I don't recall her doing since Season 1. Everyone wants to kill of Kasmeer, but she's our only connection to this Mesmer Collective and I'm curious to know anything about that, although that can certainly wait. Taimi is a necessary evil; we need someone who can stay behind and do the lab work, and be the expositional dump. She almost full-grown now, so maybe people won't be so offended that this little girl is ordering them anymore. Finally, Rytlock and Canach are usually comic relief, with the former still able to reveal secrets and has that added link back to Destiny's Edge. Honestly, I don't think any of the characters we have are quite ready to be killed off, and they all have a role, whether you like them or hate them.

• Killing off an asian lesbian woman in a committed relationship is a bad look, just going to put it out there. A love interest plot would likely come off as forced, unless they introduced a ton of different options that take your backstory questions, race, profession (elite specialization?) into account.

"Beware the Danger of Secrets Kept."
    -Lord Odran

• **My ** commander don't have time for dilly-dallying romances...., there is just too much world around that needs saving. Maybe when all the 6 dragons have been dealt with, the right rulers sit on the right thrones, doing the right things, and all 'higher-than-champion' class villains have been finally put down, he might consider retiring as professor emeritus with some asura research lab with a likeminded partner...

If they want to introduce romance and the above is not one of the 3 choices I would really be disappointed in Anet, just saying...

• Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

How about we romance Kasmeer AND Ghost Marjory, and also we can resurrect Eir and date her ghost too. And they can all wear versions of the Slave Leia bikini.

edited March 23, 2018

@MetalAssault.7906 said:
    NO more ''Bury Your Gays'' tropes please.
    There are better ways to develop a couple. Besides, Karmeer already got some development on PoF, now is Marjory turn. She should have something related to her skills and maybe make her more friendly or sometrhing, we already have enough time in which everyone acts sarcastically.

About romances, they should implement that with extra dialogues. I remember that in the original personal story you could say adorable things to the characters at the end of the chapters. Remember what you could say to Tybalt? Do more of that. More interaction with the characters besides just the story in the instance, and make sure it's good dialog.

I really don't like the reference to "bury our gay troupes." It just shows that your not fully reading the post. I'm not essentially proposing we kill either one of them off. I'm proposing Majory becomes like a being living within the mist/real world hence ghost shroud. Also, its not like they are our only gay characters cause last time I checked Caithe has a pretty ambiguous sexuality if not very clearly gay sexuality and she is actually a core character. Eir Died and she was straight i guess. Don't bury our straight troupes? Jk. But really no one should be treated like an extra special snowflake just because of what they represent.

On another note, I just thought that the elite for ghost shroud should be a 3 second invis.... on necro that would be so sweet.

• Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2018

@Justine.6351 said:
    Yes and at one point kasmere should get captured by joko and then 9 months latter have his skeleton babies.

I would like to see joko vs an actual mesmer.
    I imagine him posting on GW2 forum asking for mesmer nerfs.

However, in a Hypotetical scenario which sees one of the two girl dead ( Kasmeer or Marjory )...
    ... how would you think the other could respond to the death of his lover?

The only love interest I saw for my character was Eir.

I don't want him to have a different one forced upon him via story.

I just started the Heart of Thorns story chain. I have been having second thoughts about this post for a very long time. I don't want to see the pact lose another valuable member. What I saw in the episode titled "The Ghost of Fort Salma," kind leaves room for the whole ghost shroud thing without having to lose anyone. Marjory lost her sister and she then fused with her sword. It would be cool to see something come out of this.

Thanks for read again for your comments and feedback. It helped me realize that something as awesome as Marjory and Kasmeer is too valuable to lose.

<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.