Future of tempest?

Axl.8924

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tempest should be the support elite spec but ppl wanted too much dmg on it so now its a mess of every thing a kind of ele +1.

I hope it gets a support update to be on part with the other major support set up like scorge barrier fire branes boons and/or durdie burst heal with high dmg + for group.Tempest needs to have an aoe barrier or a powerful boon effect for a group (stab quickness resisters alacrity) but asking for more dmg is doom to mess up the class all the more.

Unless they give Weaver something else other than DPS, which the only thing it has, therefore, unlikely to get nerfed, Tempest will always have less damage than Weaver. As for the future of Tempest, I think it's fine as it is it's just that Druid and Chrono easily outshines them due to group stacking. For now, the only three most probable ways I can see to make Tempest meta in PvE again are:

• Add more PvE scenarios where Tempest's current mechanics is the most effective. (e.g. Scenarios where stacking together is extremely difficult, thereby making Tempest's support aspects more reliable due to its large radius AoE support skills.)
  • Nerf or Change the current Meta support classes to make way for other support specs/builds.
  • Improve/Change Tempest's support abilities.

The way I see it, I think it's highly unlikely Tempest is getting any buff or changes other than its support abilities, why because the old Specs were primarily designed for Team play due to Raids. So if there's any changes that Tempest needs it would be its support mechanics.

@MagicBoi.4160 said:Unless they give Weaver something else other than DPS, which the only thing it has, therefore, unlikely to get nerfed, Tempest will always have less damage than Weaver. As for the future of Tempest, I think it's fine as it is it's just that Druid and Chrono easily outshines them due to group stacking. For now, the only three most probable ways I can see to make Tempest meta in PvE again are:

• Add more PvE scenarios where Tempest's current mechanics is the most effective. (e.g. Scenarios where stacking together is extremely difficult, thereby making Tempest's support aspects more reliable due to its large radius AoE support skills.)
  • Nerf or Change the current Meta support classes to make way for other support specs/builds.

The way I see it, I think it's highly unlikely Tempest is getting any buff or changes other than its support abilities, why because the old Specs were primarily designed for Team play due to Raids. So if there's any changes that Tempest needs it would be its support mechanics.

Since you don't really need two druids for 10 people, Tempest is a valid choice for a second raid healer now, and even used on certain places like Dhuum. For 5-man content it's still a dps loss, but you technically can still take it. It wouldn't hurt if Tempest got a bit more offensive support though, like the rev can stack alacrity and might on his own while healing.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@MagicBoi.4160 said:Unless they give Weaver something else other than DPS, which the only thing it has, therefore, unlikely to get nerfed, Tempest will always have less damage than Weaver. As for the future of Tempest, I think it's fine as it is it's just that Druid and Chrono easily outshines them due to group stacking. For now, the only three most probable ways I can see to make Tempest meta in PvE again are:

Since you don't really need two druids for 10 people, Tempest is a valid choice for a second raid healer now, and even used on certain places like Dhuum. For 5-man content it's still a dps loss, but you technically can still take it. It wouldn't hurt if Tempest got a bit more offensive support though, like the rev can stack alacrity and might on his own while healing.

Thats actually a good idea about support for alacriticy and stuff like that.

what does tempest need to be good? druid, chronomancer, and firebrand nerfsand then a few minor buffs

firebrand (PvP) is almost there, but druid and chronomancer keep getting buffed instead of nerfed, so they are way out of line. It'll take a LOT to reach parity with tempest (and other supports) in PvE (and PvP. sadly druid and chrono are massively overpowered in PvP too)

@reikken.4961 said:what does tempest need to be good? druid, chronomancer, and firebrand nerfsand then a few minor buffs

firebrand (PvP) is almost there, but druid and chronomancer keep getting buffed instead of nerfed, so they are way out of line. It'll take a LOT to reach parity with tempest (and other supports) in PvE (and PvP. sadly druid and chrono are massively overpowered in PvP too)

Well. Tempest is superior to druid when it comes to keeping the teammates alive. The problem is, it's not needed, and it really doesn't have any notable offensive buffs. Yeah, you can aurashare Fury, but you have Fury covered anyway, and that's all. Hence the druid supremacy. Spirits, GoE, Spotter and free might. There's just no real downside to it. But at least you can run it as an off-healer as the druid gives all of its goodies (except Spotter) to 10 people.

Frankly speaking, that's OK. Druid is pretty useless as a healer in pvp modes, so I feel it's OK to let it be the heal king in PvE.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@reikken.4961 said:what does tempest need to be good? druid, chronomancer, and firebrand nerfsand then a few minor buffs

firebrand (PvP) is almost there, but druid and chronomancer keep getting
buffed
instead of nerfed, so they are
way
out of line. It'll take a LOT to reach parity with tempest (and other supports) in PvE (and PvP. sadly druid and chrono are massively overpowered in PvP too)

Well. Tempest is superior to druid when it comes to keeping the teammates alive. The problem is, it's not needed, and it really doesn't have any notable offensive buffs. Yeah, you can aurashare Fury, but you have Fury covered anyway, and that's all. Hence the druid supremacy. Spirits, GoE, Spotter and free might. There's just no real downside to it. But at least you can run it as an off-healer as the druid gives all of its goodies (except Spotter) to 10 people.

Frankly speaking, that's OK. Druid is pretty useless as a healer in pvp modes, so I feel it's OK to let it be the heal king in PvE.

I actually noticed that my condi tempest was keeping alive my team fairly well.I was going around just running and healing the whole time today when doing tier 3 fractal in chaos.I wasn't doing good damage what so ever, but i was doing quite nice healing.With rebound and all that healing from using scepter focus and using the heals, yeah its quite nice.Plus:Overload water heals for half my health, so its a quite nice thing.

To get an actual decent idea of how good a healer ele is, i'l have to get some good healing gear to see it.I think it was mostly the tools that helped a lot.

I think that a revisit to Tempest's unique aspect is in order for it to be brought in line with the other Support specs: Auras

They're currently "nice" to have but they lack a certain pull compared to powerful boons such as Protection, Stability, Might, Fury and Alacrity. Specifically, Fire Shield and Frost Armor feel archaic in their current iteration with low-impact passive abilities coupled with weak Boon/Condition-application, while Shocking Aura and Magnetic Aura are both really powerful, but powerful to the extent that you can't really allow the Tempest a high uptime or access to them without making them overpowered.

Fire Shield is mainly brought down by the interal cooldown on Might-gain and Burning application, but at the same time it feels unintuitive that this aura requires you to get struck in order to come into effect when it doesn't have any defensive properties attached to it.Frost Armor is a in a similar spot, though not quite as bad as it comes with a Defensive aspect (Although a somewhat negliable 10% reduction to Direct Damage).

My suggestion would be something like making the Detonation on Fire Shield (Seen with Berserker's King of Fires trait) baseline, and the Might-stacking to happen passively every second while a player has Fire Shield.Frost Armor could come with a small Heal-over-time effects similar to Regeneration, only with the added advantage of being an unremovable buff rather than a Boon.More Tempest-focused would be a few changes to certain traits they have. One that comes to mind is changing Lucid Singularity from removing Movement-impairing Conditions during Overloads into something like "Add a pulsing Boon to nearby allies while channeling an overload, depending on Attunement" that adds Retaliation/Vigor/Quickness/Stability to fire/water/air/earth overload respectively.Tempestuous Aria needs a little help, which can be done by reworking it into extending the duration of Conditions, Buffs and Auras given by Shout skills, while also increasing their Radius as well, rather than the current application of Might and Weakness (The former of which Druid does a better job at applying).

@"Wolfric.9380" said:I woudl try marshalls + durability rune for a healer tempest if you also want to do some damage. Bunker is always minstrel but nearly no damage.

I use a mix of Magi and Minstrel myself, with Monk runes. Soothing Mist alone heals for over 400 hp per second and then you have "Wash the pain away!" and blasting water fields for spike healing whenever needed. Plus the awesome utility of placing Geyser to res someone at 1200 range. It is very, very strong healer. But it is very rarely needed. I guess you can use it to carry pugs in lower fractal tiers, or just to make a boss fight safe and easy (I run it on Matthias as a third healer for my group).

Used to play support bunker tempest at times in WvW. But ever since PoF and the current pirateship meta it's not viable anymore to run it. In the frontlines you tend to get overwhelmed with condi you can't lose fast enough and firebrand is simply just better at what support tempest could do. Maybe it still works in smaller scale GvG.

As for staff tempest in WvW, you're generally better of as core ele (or weaver) when using staff. Overloading often needs melee range which is already not so smart with this pirateship meta and overloading puts your attunement in a long cd. So there really isn't a lot of reason to play tempest right now.

It could become viable if support was buffed a lot stronger at the cost of damage.

Tempest is great if you don't have full meta support in dungeons, fractals, or open world. It adds both damage and survivability and can be traited up further. For raids, it offers better healing than druid, but it's still not preferred because druids offer unique boons.

I still main Tempest for casual play, with an Air/Arcane/Tempest spec and Marauder gear. Lots of fun, plenty of damage and survivability, and good self-application of boons. Definitely not meta.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be kind of sad if tempest did indeed go full support. I use it for dps as the overloads are wonderful. I prefer it to stay elastic as it is right now. It is still used for support in some places, just that others do it better. Even on dps builds you are still a good backup in a raid party in emergencies.

The way scorge plays and how it can clear/ convent condis heal / barrier and do dmg both condi and power i don't see any reason to playing tempest any more. Unless they do something radical to update the classes i see no future for tempest and ele over all.

I would like to see more support roles gain unique buffs. Like if each Aura applied barrior plus the ability to apply some form of buff like +5%damage for fire shield +5condi duration for frost Aura +5%condi damage for Earth Aura. I think that would be neat. It wouldn't be too overpowered I don't think since Aura are on a pretty long CD and don't last that long but it would provide a short window for some nice burst. Oh and a small ferocity bonus for shocking Aura.

Well it would help if rebound gets reworked and tempesteous aria gets a 20% CD reduction on shouts ^^.A suggestion for rebound:Make it plain simple. 60s CD (48s traited), instant stunbreak apply the heal and light aura (which fits it´s name) and we are golden ^^.Then we can have diversity using some shout builds that support or have a hybrid nature ...

@dontlook.1823 said:I would like to see more support roles gain unique buffs. Like if each Aura applied barrior plus the ability to apply some form of buff like +5%damage for fire shield +5condi duration for frost Aura +5%condi damage for Earth Aura. I think that would be neat. It wouldn't be too overpowered I don't think since Aura are on a pretty long CD and don't last that long but it would provide a short window for some nice burst. Oh and a small ferocity bonus for shocking Aura.

That would help tempest out and would need to be an ele only effect (maybe in powerful auras). Right now auras tend to do nothing to causing more harm then good. Most of the high dmg in the game is not getting stopped by auras as they are non projectile or simply unblockable (earth aura) or the dmg it self is to far away to even trigger the auras effect (lighting aura). Frost auras and fire aura give out such low condi presser the condis they do give out now is more of a tool for the other team to make into very powerfully boons of alacrity and agies.

Light aura and caouse armor (not realty an aura) are far stronger then any thing ele can make now.

They will not update tempest to be on par with other dominant support specs, do remember that the devs only care to see every profession played in every mode, regardless of the spec used, that's their main aim and it makes sense. Right now ele is "viable" in game modes with weaver and the major contributor for tempest downfall is the raid gamemode : as long as people will run 3-4 weaver per 10 man group...I don't see why anet would buff tempest support and run the risk of people running with 6-7 eles ( 4 weavers and 2-3 tempests)

Archived