How viable is condi tempest?

Axl.8924

I just traded all my condi gear like i said to my ele and now and trying to figure out if staff or dagger is more for condi.Someone told me dagger, but i'm seeing 2 or 3 abilities at most.

I looked up qt and condi tempest isn't even listed, neither is condi tempest listed on metabattle.

Power staff is the meta for tempest, but I had lots of fun with dagger/dagger or scepter/dagger as condi tempest. You will simply have to favor fire and earth overload over air, or play hybrid (which is even better - dagger and scepter benefit from both condi and power), in which case all overloads are viable.

Will your dps match a power staff tempest who perform a perfect rotation? Probably not. But you can still provide viable dps and have fun with a non-meta build.

If you have to play meta then elementalist has only one build: power staff, on all specs.

The raid meta assumes perfect team support and is generally focused on large, immobile targets that cause damage through mechanics. A fully-supported Power Staff Weaver offers the best DPS on large, immobile targets and its inherent squishiness doesn't matter if it can literally walk away from mechanics-based damage, so it is the meta choice. Power Staff Tempest isn't that far behind, but it is behind and isn't meta for that reason.

If survival is an issue, watch more guides on the raid in question and make sure you have the mechanics down. Learn where to stand (and where not to). Stay stacked up so you have boons and healing. Save your CCs until needed and use them when needed. Perfect your rotation. Leave the support to the support professions.

Power Staff drops out of the meta when: 1) the Ele has to move around and interrupts channels; 2) the Ele has to survive directed damage; 3) the target is not large; or 4) the target moves out of your AOEs. If you want to stay Ele, this is where Condi Weaver and Condi Tempest come in and they will be competitive with other condi DPS classes.

@mygamingid.5816 said:The raid meta assumes perfect team support and is generally focused on large, immobile targets that cause damage through mechanics. A fully-supported Power Staff Weaver offers the best DPS on large, immobile targets and its inherent squishiness doesn't matter if it can literally walk away from mechanics-based damage, so it is the meta choice. Power Staff Tempest isn't that far behind, but it is behind and isn't meta for that reason.

If survival is an issue, watch more guides on the raid in question and make sure you have the mechanics down. Learn where to stand (and where not to). Stay stacked up so you have boons and healing. Save your CCs until needed and use them when needed. Perfect your rotation. Leave the support to the support professions.

Power Staff drops out of the meta when: 1) the Ele has to move around and interrupts channels; 2) the Ele has to survive directed damage; 3) the target is not large; or 4) the target moves out of your AOEs. If you want to stay Ele, this is where Condi Weaver and Condi Tempest come in and they will be competitive with other condi DPS classes.

1) and 2) are L2P issues, 3) is just wrong, 4) is a L2P issue again. There is no scenario where a skilled player will do better on a condi tempest than on a power weaver. None at all.

• 2 weeks later...

@Feanor.2358 said:

@mygamingid.5816 said:The raid meta assumes perfect team support and is generally focused on large, immobile targets that cause damage through mechanics. A fully-supported Power Staff Weaver offers the best DPS on large, immobile targets and its inherent squishiness doesn't matter if it can literally walk away from mechanics-based damage, so it is the meta choice. Power Staff Tempest isn't that far behind, but it is behind and isn't meta for that reason.

1) and 2) are L2P issues, 3) is just wrong, 4) is a L2P issue again. There is no scenario where a skilled player will do better on a condi tempest than on a power weaver. None at all.

While this is true for skilled players, it can be somewhat irrelevant if you aren't there yet:

If you aren't very skilled and don't know the encounters very well, it can happen that an easy condi setup yields better dps then meta-power-weaver, as the power weaver really is harder to play then certain condi speccs.The point is: When you are very skilled, you kill any boss in almost any non-optimal build anyway, as you outskill the encounter. When you are a starter, it is possible that it is actually easier to try a easy but lower dps build, resulting in more dps as the hard meta build. That's why there should be a beginner meta, as the speedkillers don't really need this help, they can think it out themselves...

But as you said, a skilled player (with a skilled grp) will get better dps on meta weaver on any boss, anytime.

Archived