Pet swap for beastmode

Arheundel.6451

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the traits stay as meh as they are, i'd say sure, go ahead and let soulbeast swap in beast mode, but put an obvious tell on them when they do so, however i'd argue that the pet swap CD in beastmode should be longer than if you left beastmode, by like 5-10s or so to compensate for not having to drop beast mode, swap, and then reenter.

@"Durzlla.6295" said:If the traits stay as meh as they are, i'd say sure, go ahead and let soulbeast swap in beast mode, but put an obvious tell on them when they do so, however i'd argue that the pet swap CD in beastmode should be longer than if you left beastmode, by like 5-10s or so to compensate for not having to drop beast mode, swap, and then reenter.

I'd say 10s to equal leaving beastmode in that way you have a choice between leaving beastmode or swap beastmode, if you want longer CD for swapping while in beastmode then we need some hefty good master trait for compensation.

What about "Essence of Speed = evade all attacks for 3s if swapping pet while in beastmode 15s CD"

I think pet swap in beast mode will go a long way for soulbeast with F4, but there should be some short coming for swapping. Maybe a huge tell animation and put beast mode to CD(cannot separate for 10s), also pet swap should have a CD like core/druid during combat, i will say 40 sec, since core pet swap CD was 20sec for alive pet and 60sec for dead pet.

@Arheundel.6451 said:Then no increased CD for swapping pets while in beastmode, 10s max possibly to coincide with leaving beastmode

The disagreement was more towards the free evade on a trait after swapping. As some have mentioned, pet swapping in BM will come with a cd, locking players in BM if they decide to do it. I don't see Anet allowing anything less than 20s so that SB could (finally) have trait interaction with Loud Whistle if they want it reduced. Toss in they would most likely have it also proc other pet swap traits that are already on a 20s or under cd and blah blah - ya get the idea.

Because it is already balanced with the CD of Petswap. The CD in Beastmode should be the same, it should be basically be the same skill. If its on CD when entering it still would be on CD when finally merged and you have to wait until CD is off to swap again.Everything else can be balanced with ICDs so you cannot spam trait effects.

Because it is very much needed for a fluent functionality of the specialization. I made the suggestion to make a "beast soul" swap once for each time go into beast-mode and make it separate from the pet swap CD and also have separate CD for the pet swap related traits. This will meet all of the developer's goals - full functionality of soul beast capabilities , in&out beastmode play style, not being too strong.

@"niconori.7235" said:Let beastmode start cooling down when you enter beastmode is a better idea imo.

I was wondering what the one "no" vote was gonna say. This is an entirely acceptable change, as well, though still not quite as convenient as just pressing the button once to switch your merged pet. Either way, the cooldown kills a lot of potential versatility that Soulbeast could've had. :(

I'm on the "no" side of the fence. Not having swap in BM makes you make decisions. Do you start with a DPS pet or a Support pet. Cuz if you want/need the other, you have to work in when to swap and will be more vulnerable for 8 seconds. There's very little risk involved if you can swap from Ferocious to Stout instantly (on cooldown).

Yeah, Soulbeast is a bit of a mess when it comes to trait interaction. Soulbeast itself needs to work better with enter/exit BM; being baseline if possible. As for the on pet-swap traits; I'd be more inclined to make exiting beastmode count as pet-swap. The related traits proc if you have your pet stowed and are forced into combat (bringing a pet out). Making exiting beastmode work the same way could better incentivize the weaving in and out style of play.

Forcing the swap when not merged also gives balanced information to your opponent. An informed player will see a swap to Smokescale or Rock Gazelle and know to watch for power burst if possible. This information is just as important to decision making as knowing what weapons a player is using.

If you really want swap in BM, I'd say that the merge aura would have to change color based on type (which some people have been asking for anyway).

Either pet swap in BMode or 0 cooldown on BMode. Pet Swap in BMode, use the same Pet Swap cooldown. 0 cooldown on BMode, nothing to change except the cooldown and it will encourage using the pet outside of BMode and pet swap. If they want to go the middle of the road and lazy way, the 0 cooldown of BMode fits the best.

@Chrury.4627 said:Forcing the swap when not merged also gives balanced information to your opponent. An informed player will see a swap to Smokescale or Rock Gazelle and know to watch for power burst if possible. This information is just as important to decision making as knowing what weapons a player is using.

People already cannot know which pet you are merged with if they didn't see your pet before. I don't see how it changes anything. They can put the pet icon or tells like Revenant for all I care.

It's how weapon swap work, you don't know which weapons your enemy will use, after the first fight you do. Same with utilities and traits, you don't know those things beforehand.

@niconori.7235 said:Let beastmode start cooling down when you enter beastmode is a better idea imo.

This idea is also good and very simple to implement and also cover the issue @Chrury.4627 stated. They will probably will have to put CD on 'entering beast mode' traits.

@shadowpass.4236, I find it hard to believe, you never wanted to swap for offensive to defensive mode(or the other way around), never wanted to swap for a specific skill like CC or movement?

I think there should only be a universal cd like engineer's kits (1-2 sec) for toggling in and out of beastmode. The pet swap should be the only relevant cd with its 15-20 second cd. The toggle should be to leave or enter beastmode, and the swap should not affect the beastmode status. As far as trait interaction, the only trait that would be affected is Fresh Reinforcements, which can be given a set cooldown (10 seconds current bm cd). Changing the blue variety icon should be enough of an indicator to opposing players.It's frustrating playing with these additional variables of coordinating timers of pet swap, enter/exit beastmode, and beastmode skills. When it first came out, I and others argued its fluidity along these same lines. The point is still valid despite trying to adjust to a rhythm within its current context.Edit: Unstoppable Union for this proposal would also need a 10 second timer... slipped my mind

@LughLongArm.5460 said:

@niconori.7235 said:Let beastmode start cooling down when you enter beastmode is a better idea imo.

This idea is also good and very simple to implement and also cover the issue @Chrury.4627 stated. They will probably will have to put CD on 'entering beast mode' traits.

@shadowpass.4236, I find it hard to believe, you never wanted to swap for offensive to defensive mode(or the other way around), never wanted to swap for a specific skill like CC or movement?

Nope, that thought has never crossed my mind. I was actually surprised when I first saw people asking for this to change, but I hadn't realized so many people thought the same way.

When fighting, I don't have the mindset of "wow if only I could use my other pet's beastmode skills right now." I have rotations that work perfectly fine and I play with what I've been given. If I had the opportunity to swap pets, my playstyle would probably change. However, as of now, I'm perfectly content with the way Beastmode is working.

If you think about it, both our weapon swap and Beastmode have 9 second cooldowns. Realistically, you should technically be able to "swap" every 4.5 seconds to gain access to new cooldowns/(weapon) utilities to use in a fight. As always, swapping weapon sets/entering beastmodes serves as a way to react to the enemy's attacks with your own.

If you were able to swap pets while in Beastmode, I'd feel that a lot of rotations would be thrown out of whack... simply because the skills were designed around the 9 second cooldown. In other words, you'd find yourself stuck in situations where there's nothing else for you to swap to, to use in combat.

If you're on NA and would like to duel me to see how I play Soulbeast, send me a pm. It might help :)

@"shadowpass.4236" said:I personally don't see the need for it. As someone who plays soulbeast in ranked constantly, I've never wanted/needed to swap to another pet while in the beastmode of another one.

I feel similarly. I don't really feel like there's a need for it. However, as I stated in another post, I think a lot of that has to do with taking the Beasmastery line for a shorter CD on swap. I feel like it just makes for a lot more fluid playstyle. I don't really find myself waiting on cooldowns...it seems like there's always something ready for me by the time I rotate to it. I also don't often find myself thinking things like, "Oh shit, I really need Spiritual Reprieve right now!" I enjoy the premeditation and thought involved, and if I fail to be in/on the right pet at a particular moment, it's ultimately my fault. There are times where I do absolutely mess up, but again, that's just a flaw in my decision-making and/or a matter of being outplayed by the opponent. By choosing two pets that bring a lot of versatility, it feels like less of an issue.

With that said, I would not at all be opposed to it being implemented. I would just like the Soulbeast line to have some interaction with exiting beastmode, and beast skills having better interaction with traits (like Beastly Warden), as others have mentioned. The Major Adept line is solid, but the other two lines could use some polishing.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

@"shadowpass.4236" said:I personally don't see the need for it. As someone who plays soulbeast in ranked constantly, I've never wanted/needed to swap to another pet while in the beastmode of another one.

I feel similarly. I don't really feel like there's a need for it. However, as I stated in another post, I think a lot of that has to do with taking the Beasmastery line for a shorter CD on swap. I feel like it just makes for a lot more fluid playstyle. I don't really find myself waiting on cooldowns...it seems like there's always something ready for me by the time I rotate to it. I also don't often find myself thinking things like, "Oh kitten, I really need Spiritual Reprieve right now!" I enjoy the premeditation and thought involved, and if I fail to be in/on the right pet at a particular moment, it's ultimately my fault. There are times where I do absolutely mess up, but again, that's just a flaw in my decision-making and/or a matter of being outplayed by the opponent. By choosing two pets that bring a lot of versatility, it feels like less of an issue.

With that said, I would not at all be opposed to it being implemented. I would just like the Soulbeast line to have some interaction with exiting beastmode, and beast skills having better interaction with traits (like Beastly Warden), as others have mentioned. The Major Adept line is solid, but the other two lines could use some polishing.

Ah that could be it. I dislike Nature Magic in general. I've always used Beastmastery, so my rotations generally have the reduced cooldowns in mind.

Although sort of off-topic, I also don't really use Jacaranda at all. I use Smokescale + Gazelle 99% of the time.

Archived