Giant Killer Achievement

Texas.4861

Under the Slayer achievements is Giant Killer. This has always bugged me. How are we supposed to ever kill (I assume) 1000 giants. in 5 years I have 10 kills... this may be an old subject. but I have killed many a Risen Giant in Orr, but of course they do not count as Risen Giant kills count as Zhaitan's Bane which was my 1st achievement I think. A Giant, whether Risen or not is a Giant.

There are several giants in the core game, enough to get the achievement (although it takes time). The most easy one is the event in brisban wildlands. Besides that, some notable giants are the one at nageling and Kudu's monster (although it looks a lot like a risen giant, it is technically not a risen as it is not under Zhaitans control. So that one does count as a giant). In PoF we got a good amount more of them.

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:There are several giants in the core game, enough to get the achievement (although it takes time). The most easy one is the event in brisban wildlands. Besides that, some notable giants are the one at nageling and Kudu's monster (although it looks a lot like a risen giant, it is technically not a risen as it is not under Zhaitans control. So that one does count as a giant). In PoF we got a good amount more of them.

"Enough", there's like 4 giants total in core game, and all of them are champions in events.That achievement is unbalanced, basically, it asks the same amout of kills for a really rare mob as it does for extremely common ones.

• Like 1

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:There are several giants in the core game, enough to get the achievement (although it takes time). The most easy one is the event in brisban wildlands. Besides that, some notable giants are the one at nageling and Kudu's monster (although it looks a lot like a risen giant, it is technically not a risen as it is not under Zhaitans control. So that one does count as a giant). In PoF we got a good amount more of them.

"Enough", there's like 4 giants total in core game, and
all
of them are champions in events.That achievement is unbalanced, basically, it asks the same amout of kills for a really rare mob as it does for extremely common ones.

The giant in Brisban Wildlands is not a campion. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Giant_(NPC)If you are not alone, there will be more then two giants will spanw, and if the group expand it can go up to 6 giants.

This event can be repeated once every 15 minutes (after the giant spawn you need a fail, otherwise it takes 10 extra minutes)

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:There are several giants in the core game, enough to get the achievement (although it takes time). The most easy one is the event in brisban wildlands. Besides that, some notable giants are the one at nageling and Kudu's monster (although it looks a lot like a risen giant, it is technically not a risen as it is not under Zhaitans control. So that one does count as a giant). In PoF we got a good amount more of them.

"Enough", there's like 4 giants total in core game, and
all
of them are champions in events.That achievement is unbalanced, basically, it asks the same amout of kills for a really rare mob as it does for extremely common ones.

The giant in Brisban Wildlands is not a campion.
)If you are not alone, there will be more then two giants will spanw, and if the group expand it can go up to 6 giants.

This event can be repeated once every 15 minutes (after the giant spawn you need a fail, otherwise it takes 10 extra minutes)

Actually didn't know about that one... But still, you need 30 guys there for 6 giants... A lot of grind for a 1000 kill achievement.

• Like 1

@kharmin.7683 said:The Giants in Elon Riverlands in PoF are veterans but still count.

This ^ just ignore everything else in this thread and save yourself a lot of time and just go farm these giants, there is 5 giants in a compact area, by the time you kill them all the first will respawn again, I recently completed the 1000 kills at this spot.

Rather than cater to completionists, so-called ridiculously-long|laborious minor achievements send a signal to the majority that, "you know, you don't need to do everything the game has to offer." I think that's ultimately a good thing for the game and the community, even if it's frustrating for some of us.

According to the wiki, 13 different NPCs count as giants, including some non-champions:

• Brawler
  • Hunter (awkwardly named in-game as "Giant Hunter", although actually it's the readers of this thread who are the Giant hunters ;))
  • Trunt & Uhiwi (specific giants)

In the end, I don't think this chieve is any worse or better these days than some of the weapon masteries or costume brawl (with six Halloweens lasting ~three weeks each, even doing three brawls per day wouldn't be enough to complete it), among others.

I won't be sad if ANet changes the requirements or makes it easier, but I don't think it's important that they do so.

Back in the old days, the [JINT] and [GINT] guilds formed to take advantage of the pre-megaserver, pre-squad instance system: people would join parties of 5. It worked exactly like AB multi-loot, only more annoying. Each person would aim to get on their home server's unique Brisban map. Folks would kill the giant(s) from the UNIT event chain on one instance and use the "join in" feature to warp to another and kill more. With 5 people, I think you got 3-4 giants. With 10 you could get more. And folks would spend an hour plus cycling maps. It was a slog, but a less-painful slog than we had after megaservers.

I did this achievement pre-PoF mainly doing the U.N.I.T. event in Brisban. Often there were others there so we had anywhere from 3 to 6 giants at a time. It did take some time but we had fun passing the time between event spawns and with some dedication we got it done. It was great that PoF gave more giants to kill so it is a lot easier to work on this achieve, though I still feel we should have gotten a title for being dedicated enough to keep at it and get it done!

Slayer of Humanoids of Unusually Large Size?Although I am nowhere close to finishing the achievement, it does seem as if the more laborious ones deserve a title. (Too bad there's no way to know whether someone did this just doing the UNIT event and/or our favorite named giants in core Tyria, versus those who slayed 1000 in PoF zones.)

Just a story. In gw1, there was something very cool and prestigious. Getting to level 20 (max) in pre searing. This was extremely hard. The giant slayer achievement was nothing compared to it. You could only gain xp from quests and kills, but only if the foe was not more then 4 levels below yours. Pre seering was a place you could only leave permanently. The max level of foes was 10. So with some quests the max level seems to be level 15. The trick was to let the max level foes kill you over and over and over again (people pulled them to a ressurection Shrine so they could be killed and be auto rezzed over and over again). This way the foes leveled up cause of the experience they gained from killing you. Then you could kill them once for a tiny drop of xp.

This was so awesome that arenanet recognized the awesomeness and made an achievement out of it. Fast forward a few years. People kept wining that it was too hard and they added some higher level foes, totally destroying the initial effort that was rewarded by the achievement. To me it is still a black day. I made it to level 18 and wanted to gain it the level style, but what’s the use?

Some achievements should be hard. They are an achievement and getting them all should be Impossible by design. Otherwise it wouldn’t be an achievement.

So please stop the entitlement. It only ruins the game.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Slayer of Humanoids of Unusually Large Size?Although I am nowhere close to finishing the achievement, it does seem as if the more laborious ones deserve a title. (Too bad there's no way to know whether someone did this just doing the UNIT event and/or our favorite named giants in core Tyria, versus those who slayed 1000 in PoF zones.)

And this weekend I finally completed all of the slayers on the list. That should account for something title-worthy I think. But whatever. ;)

@mercury ranique.2170 said:So please stop the entitlement. It only ruins the game.

In this case, it's a little late. There are already extra Giants in the game and the achievement is much more, um, achievable than previously. (And I'd argue that what [GINT] and [JINT] did was every bit as creative as death-leveling foes in pre-Searing Ascalon, although not nearly as tedious.)

• 3 weeks later...

@mercury ranique.2170 said:Just a story. In gw1, there was something very cool and prestigious. Getting to level 20 (max) in pre searing. This was extremely hard. The giant slayer achievement was nothing compared to it. You could only gain xp from quests and kills, but only if the foe was not more then 4 levels below yours. Pre seering was a place you could only leave permanently. The max level of foes was 10. So with some quests the max level seems to be level 15. The trick was to let the max level foes kill you over and over and over again (people pulled them to a ressurection Shrine so they could be killed and be auto rezzed over and over again). This way the foes leveled up cause of the experience they gained from killing you. Then you could kill them once for a tiny drop of xp.

This was so awesome that arenanet recognized the awesomeness and made an achievement out of it. Fast forward a few years. People kept wining that it was too hard and they added some higher level foes, totally destroying the initial effort that was rewarded by the achievement. To me it is still a black day. I made it to level 18 and wanted to gain it the level style, but what’s the use?

Some achievements should be hard. They are an achievement and getting them all should be Impossible by design. Otherwise it wouldn’t be an achievement.

So please stop the entitlement. It only ruins the game.

I'm still lvl 15 in pre.. just used to farm it for Black Dyes!!!

I have never bothered going after giants for this achievement, but since PoF introduced maps with giants I am up to 58! I'm sure my pre-PoF number was below 10, given how rare giants are elsewhere in the world. If you want to farm giants, you can do it. You can find them in Desert Highlands, Elon Riverlands, and the Desolation I know. And they may be in Vabbi as well, but I don't recall seeing them there.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:I have never bothered going after giants for this achievement, but since PoF introduced maps with giants I am up to 58! I'm sure my pre-PoF number was below 10, given how rare giants are elsewhere in the world. If you want to farm giants, you can do it. You can find them in Desert Highlands, Elon Riverlands, and the Desolation I know. And they may be in Vabbi as well, but I don't recall seeing them there.

Indeed. I've seen claims that people have done a cycle in the Desert Highlands (there's an area where I think 3-4 spawn) and completed the achievement "quickly."

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:I have never bothered going after giants for this achievement, but since PoF introduced maps with giants I am up to 58! I'm sure my pre-PoF number was below 10, given how rare giants are elsewhere in the world. If you want to farm giants, you can do it. You can find them in Desert Highlands, Elon Riverlands, and the Desolation I know. And they may be in Vabbi as well, but I don't recall seeing them there.

Indeed. I've seen claims that people have done a cycle in the Desert Highlands (there's an area where I think 3-4 spawn) and completed the achievement "quickly."

Center north of Elon Riverlands has several that spawn in and around the passages under the earth elementals.