Fractal Random Mistlock Instabilities — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Fractal Random Mistlock Instabilities

A message from Benjamin Arnold, Content Programmer – Fractals / Raids:

Mistlock Instabilities were designed as a way to add variation to gameplay and difficulty when players are repeating the same fractals multiple times. The intent was to provide unique challenges and promote new playstyles based on which instabilities are active for a given fractal scale. Unfortunately, the original implementation did not quite succeed at this.

Initially, instabilities were hard coded for each scale, and would change only if we manually altered them on patch days. As a result, rather than feeling like the gameplay varied at Tier 4, you got the same set of instabilities every time you did a fractal, and it got stale, or worse, felt consistently un-fun. In addition, the manual nature of the instability list was hard for designers to maintain.

In the very near future, instabilities will be randomly assigned to each scale, and will change each week, with one instability at Tier 2, two instabilities at Tier 3, and three instabilities at Tier 4. Instabilities will be enabled via a per-map whitelist, so designers can easily update which instabilities will ever be available for a certain fractal.

We believe that this added variation will improve the fractal experience for dedicated players, and help keep daily achievements from feeling stale or unchallenging. Going forward we will continue to look for new instabilities to add and improvements to implement, in order to make the system more enjoyable and understandable.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager: ArenaNet
Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

Tagged:
<13456789

Comments

  • or hamstrung (he says wishfully)

  • CptAurellian.9537CptAurellian.9537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Random instabilities don't sound too bad and, most importantly, you mention the whitelist approach. I'm already curious about the new instabilities.

    Praise delta!

  • Does this whitelist includes some process that prevents certain instabilities from appearing together at certain fractals? Some combinations can be nasty in some spots, but may be harmless along any other instabilties.

  • zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @nortask.8351 said:
    or hamstrung (he says wishfully)

    Hamstring us fine honestly. Im more scared about thing like toxic trail. But not so much that id ask for it to not be included.

    Also Ben said this "Mistlock Instabilities were designed as a way to add variation to gameplay and difficulty when players are repeating the same fractals multiple times." Outside of cms this doesnt happen.
    The incentive to repeat a fractal is pretty kitten low if its bit a daily or if it was and u already did it.

  • Is there any plans of adding helpful instabilities since all of them now are negative in someway.

  • CptAurellian.9537CptAurellian.9537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @xAtri.9378 said:
    Is there any plans of adding helpful instabilities since all of them now are negative in someway.

    Well, that's kind of the point ...

    Praise delta!

  • Gilburt.9146Gilburt.9146 Member ✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018

    If you're going to make instabilities random, can you consider removing some of the instabilities that aren't particularly fun?

    • Social Awkwardness: This one is really frustrating, especially in fights that have a lot of zoning. If you have to move a lot to avoid damage, it's very annoying having to constantly check that you're not standing too close to an ally. It's especially frustrating when playing with pugs that constantly run on top of you. I just want to be able to focus on the fight rather than constantly monitoring my position relative to 4 other players.
    • Mists Convergence: This one is just too random and feels like it gets in the way rather than adding anything meaningful.
    • Last Laugh: This isn't hard to deal with most of the time, but it just makes cleaving trash more annoying. In most boss fights this doesn't add too much challenge anyway.

    At the very least can Social Awkwardness removed? It's just so annoying being able to stack perfectly in every single raid encounter, but then not being allowed to do so in many of the Fractals.

    Edit: Removed salt/fixed grammar.

  • @Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:
    Some people have wanted to see the whitelist, I see no problem with disclosing the current iteration since people will figure it out anyways and there's no point to hiding it.

    https://imgur.com/a/ChoU5

    I may be alone here but I personally think that hamstrung is one of the harder instabilities for pugs and for beginners, especially for lower tier groups because they won't likely have any support or anything. At least for volcanic and swampland, I've had t2 and t3 groups that just quit on them or just do a lower fractal level version without hamstrung. Volcanic is just rude because once you take damage you slow down, when you slow down you take damage, pugs get so rattled by it.

  • zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:

    @Gilburt.9146 said:
    If you're going to make instabilities random, can you consider removing some of the instabilities that aren't particularly fun?

    • Social Awkwardness: This one is really frustrating, especially in fights that have a lot of zoning. If you have to move a lot to avoid damage, it's very annoying having to constantly check that you're not standing too close to an ally. It's especially frustrating when playing with pugs that constantly run on top of you. I just want to be able to focus on the fight rather than constantly monitoring my position relative to 4 other players.
    • Mists Convergence: This one is just too random and feels like it gets in the way rather than adding anything meaningful.
    • Last Laugh: Why is this a thing? Not hard to deal with most of the time, but it just makes cleaving trash more annoying. In most boss fights this doesn't add too much challenge anyway.

    At the very least can Social Awkwardness at least be removed? It's just so annoying being able to stack perfectly in every single raid encounter, but then not being allowed to do so in many of the Fractals.

    Were not deleting any instabilities or adding any new ones for episode 2, but we are always open to feedback on these things and swapping in new ones is never out of the question.

    Have you thought of changing the social Awkwardbess instability to something more akin the pretrify/aoe agony like mechanic in cairn?

    1 player gets it the playe who has it yells it and then that player needs to mind their positioning.

  • zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Gilburt.9146 said:
    If you're going to make instabilities random, can you consider removing some of the instabilities that aren't particularly fun?

    • Social Awkwardness: This one is really frustrating, especially in fights that have a lot of zoning. If you have to move a lot to avoid damage, it's very annoying having to constantly check that you're not standing too close to an ally. It's especially frustrating when playing with pugs that constantly run on top of you. I just want to be able to focus on the fight rather than constantly monitoring my position relative to 4 other players.
    • Mists Convergence: This one is just too random and feels like it gets in the way rather than adding anything meaningful.
    • Last Laugh: This isn't hard to deal with most of the time, but it just makes cleaving trash more annoying. In most boss fights this doesn't add too much challenge anyway.

    At the very least can Social Awkwardness removed? It's just so annoying being able to stack perfectly in every single raid encounter, but then not being allowed to do so in many of the Fractals.

    Manaage your cleave better so you kill all the adds around the same time. Easy.

  • Can't wait for last laugh on uncat oooooh boy
    pugs who kill harpies will be worse than ever before

  • @nortask.8351 said:

    @Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:
    Some people have wanted to see the whitelist, I see no problem with disclosing the current iteration since people will figure it out anyways and there's no point to hiding it.

    https://imgur.com/a/ChoU5

    I may be alone here but I personally think that hamstrung is one of the harder instabilities for pugs and for beginners, especially for lower tier groups because they won't likely have any support or anything. At least for volcanic and swampland, I've had t2 and t3 groups that just quit on them or just do a lower fractal level version without hamstrung. Volcanic is just rude because once you take damage you slow down, when you slow down you take damage, pugs get so rattled by it.

    The main idea of including it in tier 2 was that it was a good opportunity to teach players that personal healing (or support) is important. At that tier it is the only present instability so you can focus more on learning it, whereas if it started popping up at tier 3 where overall damage is higher and there is another potentially damaging instability, learning it will be much more difficult. I do see where you are coming from though and I don't disagree.

  • @Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:

    @nortask.8351 said:

    @Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:
    Some people have wanted to see the whitelist, I see no problem with disclosing the current iteration since people will figure it out anyways and there's no point to hiding it.

    https://imgur.com/a/ChoU5

    I may be alone here but I personally think that hamstrung is one of the harder instabilities for pugs and for beginners, especially for lower tier groups because they won't likely have any support or anything. At least for volcanic and swampland, I've had t2 and t3 groups that just quit on them or just do a lower fractal level version without hamstrung. Volcanic is just rude because once you take damage you slow down, when you slow down you take damage, pugs get so rattled by it.

    The main idea of including it in tier 2 was that it was a good opportunity to teach players that personal healing (or support) is important. At that tier it is the only present instability so you can focus more on learning it, whereas if it started popping up at tier 3 where overall damage is higher and there is another potentially damaging instability, learning it will be much more difficult. I do see where you are coming from though and I don't disagree.

    Well when you put it like that... I get where you are coming from and I can totally understand that. I guess I was in the special case where I played the original fractals then took a 2-3 year break and came back and had the personal level and AR to just jump right into t3s without learning anything about instabilities. Only time I ran t2s was with my buddy who was in a similar case as me, so we both were not good at managing the instability.

  • Bugabuga.9721Bugabuga.9721 Member ✭✭✭

    Hamstrung in swampland is extremely unfair and sadistic. Especially with toxic trail. Do you really think players enjoy that particular combo when t4's whisp carry timer is very tight as-is? I understand it in twilight oasis (as that's mostly for higher organized teams) but swampland? 😔

  • Mists Convergence is probably my favorite instability.

    Social Awkwardness might be better to be something like the Soul Shackles from Dhuum. (where two people need to get away from one another)

    Overall, I like this change.

  • Gilburt.9146Gilburt.9146 Member ✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018

    @Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:
    Were not deleting any instabilities or adding any new ones for episode 2, but we are always open to feedback on these things and swapping in new ones is never out of the question.

    Okay, thanks for keeping an open mind about them. :)

    @zealex.9410 said:
    Manaage your cleave better so you kill all the adds around the same time. Easy.

    I said it wasn't a difficult mechanic to counter. :astonished:

  • @zealex.9410 said:

    @Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:

    @Gilburt.9146 said:
    If you're going to make instabilities random, can you consider removing some of the instabilities that aren't particularly fun?

    • Social Awkwardness: This one is really frustrating, especially in fights that have a lot of zoning. If you have to move a lot to avoid damage, it's very annoying having to constantly check that you're not standing too close to an ally. It's especially frustrating when playing with pugs that constantly run on top of you. I just want to be able to focus on the fight rather than constantly monitoring my position relative to 4 other players.
    • Mists Convergence: This one is just too random and feels like it gets in the way rather than adding anything meaningful.
    • Last Laugh: Why is this a thing? Not hard to deal with most of the time, but it just makes cleaving trash more annoying. In most boss fights this doesn't add too much challenge anyway.

    At the very least can Social Awkwardness at least be removed? It's just so annoying being able to stack perfectly in every single raid encounter, but then not being allowed to do so in many of the Fractals.

    Were not deleting any instabilities or adding any new ones for episode 2, but we are always open to feedback on these things and swapping in new ones is never out of the question.

    Have you thought of changing the social Awkwardbess instability to something more akin the pretrify/aoe agony like mechanic in cairn?

    1 player gets it the playe who has it yells it and then that player needs to mind their positioning.

    I like this idea far better. It creates team play, instead of "get away from me!!!!!!"
    Certain fights in the fractals are in very confined spaces, making it very hard to do just because of the instability, not the actual fractal level.
    If its one player and its more clearly shown, like an orange ring around em or something. Players can turn the instability in a team play thing . "You have SA? Ok you go shoot from there, we'll go to the other side".
    That makes it more fun. Instead of how now if a fractal daily has it, players in pugs tend to avoid or skip it entirely.

    The Splinter Warband [SWB] is looking for both new and experienced roleplayers to join our ranks.
    Medium-heavy Charr RP guild with a focus on special operations.
    PM if you're interested!
    Signed: Alexa SplinterSteel.

  • Vinceman.4572Vinceman.4572 Member ✭✭✭✭

    So, Last Laugh on Aartsariv 100 CM. Am I right that every little add will have the effect then?

    And Flux bomb will cover tiles on Arkk and it's very possible that you don't see where you move to? What about the flux bomb indicator and the skull? Is it possible to see both of them?

    I also think Social Awkwardness on Aartsariv is ...... since you have a realistic fighting area of around 90 - 120 degrees. For this encounter it was a bad instability in the past and it will be in the future!

  • zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Gilburt.9146 said:

    @Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:
    Were not deleting any instabilities or adding any new ones for episode 2, but we are always open to feedback on these things and swapping in new ones is never out of the question.

    Okay, thanks for keeping an open mind about them. :)

    @zealex.9410 said:
    Manaage your cleave better so you kill all the adds around the same time. Easy.

    I said it wasn't a difficult mechanic to counter. :astonished:

    I mean that way cleaving addes gets done faster.

  • mbhalo.1547mbhalo.1547 Member ✭✭✭

    My personal wish is to see more variety of instabilities. Can we borrow some raid mechanics? Like "friends" from Samarog or "eggs" from Gorseval for example.

  • zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:

    @Bugabuga.9721 said:
    Hamstrung in swampland is extremely unfair and sadistic. Especially with toxic trail. Do you really think players enjoy that particular combo when t4's whisp carry timer is very tight as-is? I understand it in twilight oasis (as that's mostly for higher organized teams) but swampland? 😔

    You're probably right here.

    Idk about that. The timer before the boss does the group wide aoe is around 25+ sec which is usually more or the same with the cd of you heal. Also mobility wise your dodge is u afected by the insrability so dodging twice cover a good deal of distance.

  • iLow.3692iLow.3692 Member
    edited February 27, 2018

    I am really looking forward for the update! But i really hope we wont ever get the combination in 100cm @ artislava with Last Laugh, Toxic Trail and Social Akwardness ... That would be amazing... :dizzy:

  • zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @iLow.3692 said:
    I am really looking forward for the update! But i really hope we wont ever get the combination in 100cm @ artislava with Last Laugh, Toxic Trail and Social Akwardness ... That would be amazing... :dizzy:

    Last laugh with aahdhdha(that boss' name) could be tough but i believe with timed cleave and a pull of some sorts eithe mesmer focus or guard gs5 u can deal with them at a safe distance.

  • Can we get an API-Endpoint for the instabilities to see which fractal has which instability for the current week?
    Also when will they reset? On normal daily reset (01:00 UTC+1)? If so, what happens with currently open fractals? Will the instabilities change midfight?

  • FrostDraco.8306FrostDraco.8306 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018

    @Gilburt.9146 said:
    If you're going to make instabilities random, can you consider removing some of the instabilities that aren't particularly fun?

    • Social Awkwardness: This one is really frustrating, especially in fights that have a lot of zoning. If you have to move a lot to avoid damage, it's very annoying having to constantly check that you're not standing too close to an ally. It's especially frustrating when playing with pugs that constantly run on top of you. I just want to be able to focus on the fight rather than constantly monitoring my position relative to 4 other players.
    • Mists Convergence: This one is just too random and feels like it gets in the way rather than adding anything meaningful.
    • Last Laugh: This isn't hard to deal with most of the time, but it just makes cleaving trash more annoying. In most boss fights this doesn't add too much challenge anyway.

    At the very least can Social Awkwardness removed? It's just so annoying being able to stack perfectly in every single raid encounter, but then not being allowed to do so in many of the Fractals.

    Edit: Removed salt/fixed grammar.

    They already changed social awkwardness to effect the person who moves on top of you rather than you. If you are having trouble with this instability, then chances are you are probably the person moving into other people.

    I've literally never had a problem with this one except for on mai trin, nightmare, and twilight, when we dont bring a heal support.

  • OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:

    @Roul.3205 said:
    Might consider removing Social Awkwardness then ^^'

    Why do you care Roul? You always solo them anyways :p

    @CptAurellian.9537 said:
    Random instabilities don't sound too bad and, most importantly, you mention the whitelist approach. I'm already curious about the new instabilities.

    We did a lot of testing to try to figure out what felt fair and unfair, and are open to more feedback when it ships on if people feel anything is particularly unfair or unfun. Its very easy to change the whitelist. It was NOT easy to change the system before.

    Is there a way for you guys to block certain combinations of instabilities occurring at the same time in a fractal, without blackilisting any of them from said fractal? Say, mist convergence, toxic trails and social awkwardness/hamstrung at the same time? Some combinations of instabilities are just not any fun at all, but individually are not bad mechanics/hard to deal with.

    Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

  • My personal preference would be to only have one instability - Mists Convergence, but very expanded with a lot of variety of possible spawns.
    Other instabilities can go.

    And if there was a compromise and only one instability was to be removed/replaced, Social Awkwardness is the first to say goodbye to. I'm better off soloing the fractals than playing with other people with this instability

    "clang clang shriiiiek clang!" -Belinda Delaqua
    When I join your LFG

  • It'll be nice when Mai Trin loses her current instabilities. Who thought it was a good idea to put SA, Afflicted, and Adrenaline Rush on the new Mai Trin? That's sadistic.

  • Rym.1469Rym.1469 Member ✭✭✭

    So moving Fractals closer towards Mythic+ with affixes? Nice.

    Yeah, I stream once in a blue moon.

  • Yay great idea will be fun

  • zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Sublimatio.6981 said:
    My personal preference would be to only have one instability - Mists Convergence, but very expanded with a lot of variety of possible spawns.
    Other instabilities can go.

    And if there was a compromise and only one instability was to be removed/replaced, Social Awkwardness is the first to say goodbye to. I'm better off soloing the fractals than playing with other people with this instability

    U solo them anyway so whats the harm.

  • @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    In the very near future, instabilities will be randomly assigned to each scale, and will change each week.

    I feel like it should randomise daily rather than weekly.
    In an effort to when the stars align prevent the feeling of being locked out for an entire week. Hopefully encouraging more players to do the odd daily fractal on a favourable day.

  • Shikaru.7618Shikaru.7618 Member ✭✭✭

    I'm sure Vindicators during Ensolyss bullet hell will create a wholesome non toxic gaming experience for everyone involved.

    • Shouldn't Hamstrung be removed from Chaos instances for the same reason it's removed from Uncategorized? Ditto for Flux Bomb.
    • I agree with some of the other posters who pointed out that some instabilities are fine on their own but oughtn't to appear concurrently with certain others, or at least not in certain fractals. For example: Toxic Trail might be okay; Hamstrung might also be okay; but combined together with tons of mobs in Swampland... I wouldn't call it fun.

    Other than that, I like the idea of them being randomly assigned each week (and adjustable via "whitelist" sounds very sensible). After running with the new system for a few months (and making appropriate, urgent adjustments), I'd be interested in trying out daily variations.

    tl;dr good move, Ben et al. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

    "With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.