Am I doing something wrong with underwater combat? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Am I doing something wrong with underwater combat?

I feel like the underwater abilities do VERY little damage. Is there something I'm missing? I switched and tried all the abilities, but they do so little damage to anything. It makes world completion so tedious whenever there's an underwater heart or hero challenge.

Comments

• Sutepun.9450Sutepun.9450 Member ✭✭

There's a lot of things that we don't know on what to improve on. I'm gonna give you advice assuming your still getting your levels up and only have base ele (no elite specs).

In general, make sure your underwater weapons are actually up to date. I know this sounds stupid, but trust me, even I sometimes forget that my alts still have lv 31 weapons.

Another thing is movement and kiting. Ele's are super squishy, so it is not recommended to facetank damage, even if you're built for defense. All ele underwater weapon skills except water 3 and 5 can be cast while moving.

For lazy dps in open world, I personally found it best to use a fresh air focused build if you really need to kill things underwater. Air attunement from what I've experienced is the better auto attack underwater compared to other attunements, so you could theoretically get decent dps for open world by spamming air 1 and kiting the enemy.

A general basic "rotation":
    Start in air and poke the enemy, attune to fire, use skill 2 to get the aoe damaging field, proc FA to get back into air, switch to water, use water 5 through the enemy or against a wall and most things after that should be dead.

• Kundry.1249Kundry.1249 Member ✭✭

Overload Air.

• Feanor.2358Feanor.2358 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Kundry.1249 said:
    Overload Air.

^ This. Whenever Aquatic pops up on the daily rotation, I just switch to Fresh Air Tempest. Overload Air -> Fire 2 -> Overload Air. Insert Air 4 or replace Fire 2 with Earth 4 for breakbars. Easy, simple, effective.

• Axl.8924Axl.8924 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2018

You could add water and earth for stability heal and your fastest heal ability.Having lots of stability is nice for all those stuns and crippling effects.
    Oh yeah:overload earth gives stability, but if your leveling you obviously won't get access to that.

Here is my list of characters i got so far:

Elementalist 80 with tempest:Talman nul
    Necromancer 80 with reaper:Zex vokar
    Mesmer level 80 no chrono yet:Klanga voosh.
    Level 80 Ranger with druid spec Jedkhan.

Yeah, no. Overload earth means you're sitting in a non-damage attunement for way too long.

• Razor.6392Razor.6392 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2018

Water is your nuke attunement underwater. Weird, I know.

Never said I'm the best, but I believe I'm better than you.

You mean as Weaver?

• Echoherb.6528Echoherb.6528 Member ✭✭✭

I don't have any elite specs unlocked at the moment, so I'm talking about core ele

• Derenek.8931Derenek.8931 Member ✭✭

The mistake you're making, is actually fighting underwater. Even Anet has given up on it. Notice they havent added any new swimming skills or missions in years.

• Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

Use air auto to deal melee damage and fire at range.
    Try to keep Fire#2 around your foe.
    Water can also be pretty cool.
    Don't use earth unless you need blind.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2018

Don't forget to make sure your aquabreather and trident are both up to date. Many people forget about the aquabreather, but its stats (and Rune) replace your head gear when underwater, so if you have a crappy breather you'll notice a difference.

But also yeah Ele is a bit weird underwater a lot of it's projectiles are insanely slow, and it's a bit clunky.

Overall, like Dungeons, Underwater combat started out as one of this game's selling points, but was disregarded so much by the developers that they actually only remembered to add underwater skills to Revenant on the final Beta release before launch, and it's still clearly rushed since it's the only class that can switch weapons and only has a single underwater weapon, and most of it's Legends can't be used underwater at all.

You can also tell that there's barely any water content comparable to Core Tyria maps, even on the Fire Islands you have minimal water content (and it's a kitten island).

• MyPuppy.8970MyPuppy.8970 Member ✭✭✭✭

Combos are the way to go. Also yeah Water skills do pretty good damage.

• Razor.6392Razor.6392 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Derenek.8931 said:
    The mistake you're making, is actually fighting underwater. Even Anet has given up on it. Notice they havent added any new swimming skills or missions in years.

Weaver actually got a full set of underwater dual skills =)

Never said I'm the best, but I believe I'm better than you.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.