Power necro (reaper) any viability ?

Courvoisier.1268

After lvling a bunch of classes i ended up enjoying both the guardian an the necro (reaper), other classes gets kinda boring after a while and even tho i liked both i enjoy the reaper a lot more that thing is like perfect for me all the visuals everything...

So what i would like to know is if power reaper is good i mean i know is not rly good a lot of profession perform better but like is it viable from tier 1 to 4 ? i rly enjoyed the class but ppl say it is bad =(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power Reaper is decent it isn't the best. It can definitely slap out some numbers on an enemy but compared to other classes, and this matters to hardcore teams, is the speed and consistency. Reaper is pretty slow at ripping out some big numbers so consistency is only in the form of conditions for Necromancer as a whole... But we're outplayed by that too.

I would say if you enjoy Reaper then play it! Don't let the elitists and other try-hards bring you down through whatever content you may do- it doesn't matter whether it's top-tier or god-tier. It's whether you play it like it is or not.

@Courvoisier.1268 said:i rly enjoyed the class but ppl say it is bad =(Don't listen to them. Most necro players in this forum just suck at the class.

PvP section:

• videos of GS+Axe/Wh Reapers duelling S/D Thieves
  • statements that OH Dagger is a good OH weapon for Power Reapers
  • statements that Focus is useless and needs a rework
  • statements that GS outperforms MH Dagger in PvP
  • statements that Bloodmagic+Wells Reaper is good in PvP
  • Statements that Scourge hardcounters Power Reaper
  • ... the bull.s.hit list is endless

PvE section:

• if you plan to play with random wannabe elitist players you might have some bad experiences... if not, just do the content you like with ease as Power Reaper is the most forgiving PvE class in the game (it's almost impossible to die in PvE even in full berserk gear)

by Tier i assume u play Fractals? Reaper is great for trash control/burst but looses to Scourge on single boss dps since condies are so OP right now. But Reaper is playable at any level of FOTM. For PvP, thats another story... Reaper is hard countered by Scourge and has difficulty sustaining in team fights with the changes to LF degeneration. I still play it for fun hear and there but its definitely not optimal.

@Courvoisier.1268 said:i rly enjoyed the class but ppl say it is bad =(I don't understand you. How does other's person opinion gonna change your enjoyment of class? For example you like sushi, if i say that sushi is trash, would you question yourself (Is sushi rly trash???) or would ignore me and order even more sushi?You will be having fun in gw2, no those ppl!ReaperBig sword - checkAoe power dmg - checkAoe debuffs - checkA lot of soft CC - checkI'm f#@%g invincible!!! 2nd Health Bar aka Reaper's shroud- checkArmy of undead rats - checkLifesteal - checkOver9000 vulnerability debuff- check

Other player can hear your shouts Boon rips, foe's boon conversions, condi conversions. At any moment you can switch to scourge- strong condition dmg spec. Has better survivability in downed state.Join us brother.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Courvoisier.1268 said:i rly enjoyed the class but ppl say it is bad =(Don't listen to them. Most necro players in this forum just suck at the class.

PvP section:

PvE section:
  • if you plan to play with random wannabe elitist players you might have some bad experiences... if not, just do the content you like with ease as Power Reaper is the most forgiving PvE class in the game (it's almost impossible to die in PvE even in full berserk gear)

Pls show me any video, someone uses focus. And is hitting enemys with it.Show me any dagger gameplay in pvp

@Nilson.9865 said:

@Courvoisier.1268 said:i rly enjoyed the class but ppl say it is bad =(I don't understand you. How does other's person opinion gonna change your enjoyment of class? For example you like sushi, if i say that sushi is trash, would you question yourself (Is sushi rly trash???) or would ignore me and order even more sushi?

hmmm not a good comparison because in the game what would change my enjoyment of the class would be like being useless or ppl talking s**t to me all the time things like that.

But yeah i might stay at reaper idk, gota test both guardian and the reaper to get a better ideia of what would be better to me, i like both is just that i prefer reaper but seems like guardian is more safe to play and be good at it

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Courvoisier.1268 said:i rly enjoyed the class but ppl say it is bad =(Don't listen to them.

...blabla...
  • statements that Bloodmagic+Wells Reaper is good in PvP....more blabla...

Blood magic and wells is atm the best reaper build out there to be competitive.Plz dont listen to this person about pvp, he doesnt know what hes saying.

@Courvoisier.1268 said:After lvling a bunch of classes i ended up enjoying both the guardian an the necro (reaper), other classes gets kinda boring after a while and even tho i liked both i enjoy the reaper a lot more that thing is like perfect for me all the visuals everything...

So what i would like to know is if power reaper is good i mean i know is not rly good a lot of profession perform better but like is it viable from tier 1 to 4 ? i rly enjoyed the class but ppl say it is bad =(

Power reaper is good it solved alot of issues that core power necro had. I main power reaper in pve and its by far the most enjoyable out of all the other profession characters I have. I, like you, enjoy the visuals and the thematics of Reaper. I was fairly disappointed with scourge due to just how different it was from core and reaper and while i understand the goal was to give an new way to play that was a bit too different for my taste so back to reaper I went :D In some cases I even roll core necro when im feeling bored and need a refresher.

Power Reaper or necro in general does not deal the most damage in pve but it can be more forgiving than some of the other professions in pve.In pvp necro has some of the best tools to use against every single other profession thats dependent on boons (which is why people hate it so much) But if you enjoy playing it then keep playing it.

If you play solo then just avoid people who start nit picking you too much about how your builds is spec'ed if you play with friends and they whine about you playing power reaper they are not really your friends ;)

Anything is viable, but few things are optimals.In PvE, the strength of the power reaper (necromancer) is, sadly, below that of most other professions, which make him far from being optimal even if he is still viable.In PvP, the ability to corrupt boons make the necromancer a direct counter to all boon centered build which make him optimal.In WvW, there is so much boons and condition that the necromancer is like a fish in water making him even more than optimal.

@KrHome.1920 said:

PvP section:

Only statements here that are trash indeed is Dagger offhand is good on power reaper and that focus is useless at least to some extend. The rest is completely correct and you should consider you might not be even close to decent in pvp.

@Patrick.2987 said:

PvP section:

Only statements here that are trash indeed is Dagger offhand is good on power reaper and that focus is useless at least to some extend. The rest is completely correct and you should consider you might not be even close to decent in pvp.

T H A N K Y O U B O I

Depends on what you want to do.

Open world PvE? It's whatever. Not amazing, but not unplayable. Because everything is playable in open-world.

PvP and WvW? Borderline unplayable. Change to scourge or reroll another profession because reaper is generally straight garbage in relation to most of the other professions. Necro has potential to be totally broken in these formats, but reaper is largely not part of that/reaper brings nothing specifically to the table and is only a downgrade.

In Raids, it's got no purpose whatsoever. Again, reroll scourge or another profession if you're trying for optimal play. Anything can beat a raid, but it doesn't mean people are going to want it/the waiting/kicking/toxicity will be worth your while.

In fractals, it only starts being useful at Tier 4. But that's not specific to reaper.

@Nilson.9865 said:

@Courvoisier.1268 said:i rly enjoyed the class but ppl say it is bad =(I don't understand you. How does other's person opinion gonna change your enjoyment of class? For example you like sushi, if i say that sushi is trash, would you question yourself (Is sushi rly trash???) or would ignore me and order even more sushi?You will be having fun in gw2, no those ppl!ReaperBig sword - checkAoe power dmg - checkAoe debuffs - checkA lot of soft CC - check
I'm f#@%g invincible!!!
2nd Health Bar aka Reaper's shroud- checkArmy of undead rats - checkLifesteal - checkOver9000 vulnerability debuff- check

Other player can hear your
shouts
Boon rips, foe's boon conversions, condi conversions. At any moment you can switch to scourge- strong condition dmg spec. Has better survivability in downed state.Join us brother.

That always made me self conscious regarding getting downed, so part of us not dying is our OP Downed state, here I thought I just sucked?

@Thustlewhumber.7416 said:

Don't listen to them. Most necro players in this forum just suck at the class.

Truth! Sadly, most of the good necros have left the game, and most of the existing necros are still trying to make outdated Metabattle builds work. Then they just sit here and complain on the forums when they don't work anymore.

Where else are we going to find Power Reaper builds, Qtfy and Snow Crows don't list any?

Hey OP, I don't know if you're on NA and whether things are different over there, but in EU it can sometimes be difficult to find a group if you're a necro, especially if you're power reaper, because it just has so little DPS in comparison to any other meta power specs, or even condi necro. I'm not sure what groups are like for T1-3 fractals but I imagine it won't be too difficult to get a group for those. For T4 fractals you might be able to get a group, and lately I've been seeing some "no elitism" groups in LFG for those, so I imagine they might not mind off-meta builds. Unfortunately you probably won't be able to find a group for a full run (100+99CM and T4) that easily, especially on power necro instead of condi.

I main a power reaper and here's my 2 cents on the matter:

Fractals? Definitely viable. If you get a good rotation down, maximize usage of wells and shroud skills, you will be doing 10k+ easy . I do T4's every day on my power reaper and I often am the top dps. I'll grant you, people who do fracs don't go in with raid builds and indeed some are incompetent. But point is, if you are competent and know your class and its skills and how to use them then you will be fine.

PvE? Everything under raids is fine. Now I have used power reaper in raids, but it is mostly with friends. I am so used to the rotation that I have a better time keeping good damage on reaper than on scourge. But, yes, power reaper has the lowest dps ceiling of all for raiding.

PvP? You know, ever since they nerfed scourge, I find power reaper more viable as it is not insta bombed with millions of condis. It is the uber-pvp-king that other classes can be? No. But with clever and strategic use, can be very good.

WvW? Hate this mode. Don't play it outside of when I need Gift of Battle.

Ultimately, as others have said, if you enjoy the class roll with it because if you have the fervor for it, you'll make it work :)

Reaper is an ok profession but not the optimal both in terms of DPS but also ease of gameplay compared to scourge. If you don't own PoF then reaper is your best bet but if you do own it I suggest give scourge a go and see how it performs then judge for yourself. Scourge has a lot more freedom in doing damage as it does not require to get in melee range as is with the reaper. Also scourge is more party friendly with the barriers it gives to teammates so more useful when doing fractals.

Reaper is good in fractals at higher tiers.The condi corrupts and boon corrupts are great for those tough bosses, very forgiving.I am not sure about the comparison to power and condi, because i have gone the whole time as condi reaper.

@Courvoisier.1268 said:After lvling a bunch of classes i ended up enjoying both the guardian an the necro (reaper), other classes gets kinda boring after a while and even tho i liked both i enjoy the reaper a lot more that thing is like perfect for me all the visuals everything...

no, power reaper is not good.if by viable you mean can you complete the content, then yes it's viable. expect getting kicked though :)

• 3 weeks later...

It really comes down to how well you are willing to adopt the mantra of "adapt"Being "good" at reaper in pvp really relies on you understanding a mountain of minutia from other classes to exploit their behaviors.And partially it relies on your enemy overestimating their ability to take you down. A well time dodge into a fear well placement while they attack opening up into the shroud 2 or 3 that moves you toward them can really change the flow of battle if you can land the shroud 5 and then whirl.

Thats pretty ideal, but you are rarely given the ideal. For PVE anything goes unless you get into the hardcore raiding or higher end fractals (and even then it has use in T4)

Archived