@Anet - How does reporting a "bad" non-English character name work?

I just came across a player with a seriously stupid, childish and more importantly against the rules-kinda name.

But it wasn't English, but rather my native Swedish. So I hesitated reporting the player.

How would that work out, exactly? Because I assume that whoever deals with my report would not "get it" so to speak.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:For something like that I’d make a ticket so you can explain what exactly you’re reporting and give a translation.Good advice.

I think it's safe to assume that the people reading reports can see obvious stuff in the five supported languages.If it's subtle or a translation, then I wouldn't assume anything. Instead, make it easy for the mods to see what you see. And that requires a support ticket.(Ideally with a screenshot & an explanation, plus time/place/IP if that's relevant.)

@Malediktus.9250 said:Pretty sure the GMs are able to google any words they do not know

Understanding a foreign language is more than figuring out a literal word to word translation. You need to know the slang, the country’s history, the in-jokes and memes to figure some stuff out. You might tell someone how the cow ate the cabbage and they never know they were told off.

@Malediktus.9250 said:Pretty sure Anet will ban a quesitonable name first and ask questions later. If you have good reasons for a name you can appeal it and they unlock it again. Plus most slang can be googled or looked up on sites like urbandictionary

Of course. But if the name is in a foreign language and the relevant information which explains why the name is offensive is in a foreign language, finding the link to the information in a language you don’t understand and reading the explanation, which also in a foreign language, isn’t as easy as some might think. Which is why a ticket with an explanation and a translation would help.

@"Malediktus.9250" said:Pretty sure Anet will ban a quesitonable name first and ask questions later. If you have good reasons for a name you can appeal it and they unlock it again. Plus most slang can be googled or looked up on sites like urbandictionary

Google doesnt always help and google translate is not good. For example there no translate of the Swedish word : lagom , to english. Or the word vabba= The word used by Swedes when home with their sick children is not available in English. A translation would be "to be at home because the children need to take care of, but you get paid for it from the government". So no word.

@TWMagimay.9057 said:

@Kalli.4506 said:I also wanna know what the word is! Really curious! Im swedish myself.

And i think you can report it, gw2 has alot of swedish players that can find it offensive.

I find your name offensive. You OK with being banned for that?

Why would they be banned just because you find it offensive? That is not how this (the naming policy) works.

@TWMagimay.9057 said:

@Kalli.4506 said:I also wanna know what the word is! Really curious! Im swedish myself.

And i think you can report it, gw2 has alot of swedish players that can find it offensive.

If you did report their name as being offensive, they would just give Kalli (or anyone with such a report that was deemed valid) a new name or have them choose a new name. No banning.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

If you did report their name as being offensive, they would just give Kalli (or anyone with such a report that was deemed valid) a new name or have them choose a new name. No banning.

And how do you decide whose offence is valid and whose isn't?

@TWMagimay.9057 said:

I don't. Anet's staff decides that.

@DarkForcE.9210 said:If it's bannable offense, at least 1/3 of the server would get rekt... lolFirst case usually warrants only forced name change. Repeat cases may result in Anet making the change for you (and you needing to shell out some gems for a name change contract if you didn't like what they came up with), but you generally you don't risk suspension/ban. Well, unless you won't get the message and will keep doing this over and over, trying to get around the naming restrictions, or go for some really offensive names.

@OPIn the case of names from languages other than the 4 supported ones you shouldn't count on Anet being able to understand where the problem lies. There might be someone there that will know the language (or the google search might reveal the meaning), or maybe there won't be anyone that will even recognize what language the name is in. Better send a mail to support with an explanation.

@Robban.1256 said:

@"Malediktus.9250" said:Pretty sure Anet will ban a quesitonable name first and ask questions later. If you have good reasons for a name you can appeal it and they unlock it again. Plus most slang can be googled or looked up on sites like urbandictionary

Google doesnt always help and google translate is not good. For example there no translate of the Swedish word : lagom , to english. Or the word vabba= The word used by Swedes when home with their sick children is not available in English. A translation would be "to be at home because the children need to take care of, but you get paid for it from the government". So no word.

vabba is a slang to from vab vård av sjukt barn, taking care of a sick child. ( so there is no wonder that that aint translateable)lagom would be "not to little, not to much."

I'm always curious about these things, and whether they were intentional or just an interesting quirk of different languages sharing a common alphabet.I like the idea that Anet would listen to both sides anyway. I know that if one of my character names (for example taken from Irish mythology) happened to be a bad word in Swedish I'd feel like my character name shouldn't need to be changed, and if it was changed on me I'd feel quite a lot of negative emotions about that decision.I also know that the above example isn't very likely to be what is actually happening here. But it's bound to happen at some point. So I like the idea that Anet would listen to both sides before taking action.

@TWMagimay.9057 said:

@"Kalli.4506" said:I also wanna know what the word is! Really curious! Im swedish myself.

I don't. Anet's staff decides that.

You don't say. Here I was, think you are personally responsible for "offensive" name reports. How incredibly stupid of me, right? Thanks for explaining it and assuming I'm an idiot.

I didn't think you were asking a sincere question about what is/isn't allowed for names, based on the tone of your first post and since you were asking me (not an Anet employee) how I decide if an offense is valid. If you really were sincerely asking what would violate the rules for names, then here you go:

"You may not create character names or otherwise transmit, post, link to or facilitate the distribution of any sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, hateful, vulgar, racially or ethnically offensive, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, or objectionable in a reasonable person’s view imagery or content."

I do remember in the early days of Guild Wars when I encountered a monk simply called "Lemoine Allaire". Type that in Google Translate and it might give you that "Lemoine" (which in reality should be in two words: Le moine") means a monk. Hey, no biggie, right? Except that apart from its true meaning, the word "moine" is also a French Canadian slang for the male appendage. Ooops! And Allaire, in Quebec, is a common family name. Again, no biggie, right? Well, it does so happen that "Allaire" is pronounced exactly like "à l'air" (still in French), which means "out in the open". So this guy was pretty clever by using a seemingly inoffensive name which, in reality, meant that he was going with his fly down and his trouser snake flopping around for all to see. So you see, here Google Translate would be zero help and the true meaning of the name would appear so to people familiar with French Canadian culture and slang. So it's a good example why, if you see an offending name, to write a ticket an explain precisely the nature of it so appropriate actions can be taken.

@"Noa.7490" said:I do remember in the early days of Guild Wars when I encountered a monk simply called "Lemoine Allaire". Type that in Google Translate and it might give you that "Lemoine" (which in reality should be in two words: Le moine") means a monk. Hey, no biggie, right? Except that apart from its true meaning, the word "moine" is also a French Canadian slang for the male appendage. Ooops! And Allaire, in Quebec, is a common family name. Again, no biggie, right? Well, it does so happen that "Allaire" is pronounced exactly like "à l'air" (still in French), which means "out in the open". So this guy was pretty clever by using a seemingly inoffensive name which, in reality, meant that he was going with his fly down and his trouser snake flopping around for all to see. So you see, here Google Translate would be zero help and the true meaning of the name would appear so to people familiar with French Canadian culture and slang. So it's a good example why, if you see an offending name, to write a ticket an explain precisely the nature of it so appropriate actions can be taken.

It's just one way to interpret that name (and not a glaring one), to me it looks unintentional and not offensive at all!

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@"Noa.7490" said:I do remember in the early days of Guild Wars when I encountered a monk simply called "Lemoine Allaire". Type that in Google Translate and it might give you that "Lemoine" (which in reality should be in two words: Le moine") means a monk. Hey, no biggie, right? Except that apart from its true meaning, the word "moine" is also a French Canadian slang for the male appendage. Ooops! And Allaire, in Quebec, is a common family name. Again, no biggie, right? Well, it does so happen that "Allaire" is pronounced exactly like "à l'air" (still in French), which means "out in the open". So this guy was pretty clever by using a seemingly inoffensive name which, in reality, meant that he was going with his fly down and his trouser snake flopping around for all to see. So you see, here Google Translate would be zero help and the true meaning of the name would appear so to people familiar with French Canadian culture and slang. So it's a good example why, if you see an offending name, to write a ticket an explain precisely the nature of it so appropriate actions can be taken.

It's just one way to interpret that name (and not a glaring one), to me it looks unintentional and not offensive at all!

Sorry to differ, but in Quebec, if you say you went somewhere with "le moine à l'air", everyone will understand that you went around with your appendage out in the open as an exhibitionist. Go to a park during summer and tell the moms watching their kids that there's a guy walking around with his "moine à l'air" and watch them all call 911 in a hurry.

Archived