Raising the Banners - Character requirement

Not the point. This forces you to use a character you may not be in the mood to use. No other non-story quest forces you to use only a specific character. There is also no indication in the game of this, leading to several in my guild doing the bounties over and over thinking it was a random drop and then contacting support about the issue.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Wasn't there this kind of 'collection' in Heart of Thorns? With the backpack things? Pretty sure it required the same character that started the story/quest/collection.

Nope. You had to do the story items on a character from the order in question, but any items not inside story instances could be acquired by anyone once the collection was unlocked.

Although it should be noted that in that case all the other items were bought from vendors, and you can buy all the items sold by vendors for the Desert Backpieces on any character.

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:Not the point. This forces you to use a character you may not be in the mood to use. No other non-story quest forces you to use only a specific character. There is also no indication in the game of this, leading to several in my guild doing the bounties over and over thinking it was a random drop and then contacting support about the issue.

every specialization weapon collection does this thats 9 others.but i gues some people need hand holding wich is why everything is made easier

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Wasn't there this kind of 'collection' in Heart of Thorns? With the backpack things? Pretty sure it required the same character that started the story/quest/collection.

Nope. You had to do the story items on a character from the order in question, but any items not inside story instances could be acquired by anyone once the collection was unlocked.

Although it should be noted that in that case all the other items were bought from vendors, and you can buy all the items sold by vendors for the Desert Backpieces on any character.

You may be mistaken:

'The story reward pieces of the collection can only be obtained by the character who begins the collection, meaning that you must finish the story on that character to complete it.'

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scholar%27s_Pack_(achievement)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agent%27s_Pack_(achievement)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crusader%27s_Pack_(achievement)

@"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:Apparently, only the character who unlocked the collection can get the bounty items and find the environment items to finish each of the collections. This is unlike any other collection in the game and has no in-game indication, leading to a lot of confusion and failure to complete.

It would be good for them to have some kind of indication that something can or cannot be obtained on any given character. A note on the collection page would be enough.

I've spent time trying to get collection pieces on the "wrong" character more than once. At the moment you only know if something can't be obtained when you do the thing and nothing happens.

I wonder how many support tickets and bug reports are raised over this kind of thing.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:You may be mistaken:

'The story reward pieces of the collection can only be obtained by the character who begins the collection, meaning that you must finish the story on that character to complete it.'

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scholar%27s_Pack_(achievement)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agent%27s_Pack_(achievement)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crusader%27s_Pack_(achievement)

The story items work like that. They come for completing each story chapter. But the items not based in the story don't have that restriction for HoT. Given how the story works it's a bit hard to not do that anyway.

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:Not the point. This forces you to use a character you may not be in the mood to use. No other non-story quest forces you to use only a specific character. There is also no indication in the game of this, leading to several in my guild doing the bounties over and over thinking it was a random drop and then contacting support about the issue.

I don't think that first point matters at all. Its like saying: I may not be in the mood to do a story element on my thief but I do want to continue with another character where I left of with my thief. I think it could be intended as a story quest. (unless it IS a mistake) In fact I would love to see more character bound side quests if Im honest

Which brings me to your second point there... Obviously such character bound tasks need to be properly communicated to actually work as such. It shouldnt become the case that if youre on another character that specific side task or quest isnt communicated as something your other character should do. Or better, not show up at all. Or be in their specific category. (IE. a category: Achievements for characters that picked this/that route)

Also if they are trying something new here it will always come with a certain amount of adjusting to it.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Wasn't there this kind of 'collection' in Heart of Thorns? With the backpack things? Pretty sure it required the same character that started the story/quest/collection.

Only requires one that has made the same choice. Doesn't need to be the same character that started the collection.

Perhaps, you should edit the Wiki to include the information. And update the page for the banners, if it happens to be the same case.

Good luck.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:Apparently, only the character who unlocked the collection can get the bounty items and find the environment items to finish each of the collections. This is unlike any other collection in the game and has no in-game indication, leading to a lot of confusion and failure to complete.

It would be good for them to have some kind of indication that something can or cannot be obtained on any given character. A note on the collection page would be enough.

I've spent time trying to get collection pieces on the "wrong" character more than once. At the moment you only know if something can't be obtained when you do the thing and nothing happens.

I wonder how many support tickets and bug reports are raised over this kind of thing.

THIS!!!I started the story on a few different characters just to unlock the exotic backpacks, then recently decided to do the story one last time to finish it all off for the ascended, and had to run a character through the entire story start to finish because I couldn't remember what character chose what.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Really? I wonder why there have been posts in the 'Support' sub-forum asking why their collection isn't advancing because the item isn't being awarded.Seems like the same lament.In the case of the HoT order backpacks all the complains were tied to in-story rewards, where someone unlocked the collection for one backpack on one char, then continued to do the story on a different char that had a different order backpack selected. It was all about in-story collection drops - the out-of story ones were not dependant on character at all. In fact, you could obtain them on characters that didn't even do any story step yet.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Only requires one that has made the same choice. Doesn't need to be the same character that started the collection.

Perhaps, you should edit the Wiki to include the information. And update the page for the banners, if it happens to be the same case.

Good luck.The banners are different - here even the out-of-story collection elements can be done only on characters that made that specific story decision.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Really? I wonder why there have been posts in the 'Support' sub-forum asking why their collection isn't advancing because the item isn't being awarded.Seems like the same lament.In the case of the HoT order backpacks all the complains were tied to in-story rewards, where someone unlocked the collection for one backpack on one char, then continued to do the story on a different char that had a different order backpack selected. It was all about in-story collection drops - the out-of story ones were not dependant on character at all. In fact, you could obtain them on characters that didn't even do any story step yet.

Good luck.The banners are different - here even the out-of-story collection elements can be done only on characters that made that specific story decision.

Not sure what that has to do with editing the Wiki...

I wouldn't have a problem with this if:

1. It told you this so you weren't doing things over and over thinking you were missing random drops.
  2. There were a way to check what character did what. if you look in the story journal your choice isn't mentioned at all, so you have no way to check which character made which choice, other than trying for an achieve and having it not pop.

I would still prefer if it didn't do this so I could take a character who needs to do things in the desert and use them instead of a character who already did most of the exploration and possibly already map completed. But at least give transparency and record keeping so you can do know how the quest works and do it efficiently.

I went back to complete one of the HOT backpacks a few weeks ago and because there is absolutely no indication anywhere, which character chose which initial pack, I ended up having to run 4 characters through the whole rest of the story instances before I eventually hit the right one. I like the idea of having choices in game but there needs to be some indication in the story journal to avoid the huge frustration that obviously quite a few ppl are experiencing,

@Daroon.1736 said:I went back to complete one of the HOT backpacks a few weeks ago and because there is absolutely no indication anywhere, which character chose which initial pack, I ended up having to run 4 characters through the whole rest of the story instances before I eventually hit the right one. I like the idea of having choices in game but there needs to be some indication in the story journal to avoid the huge frustration that obviously quite a few ppl are experiencing,

That is not an issue with the banners(because you can just look around Amnoon to see what choice you made) so that is not relevant to this thread ...

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Daroon.1736 said:I went back to complete one of the HOT backpacks a few weeks ago and because there is absolutely no indication anywhere, which character chose which initial pack, I ended up having to run 4 characters through the whole rest of the story instances before I eventually hit the right one. I like the idea of having choices in game but there needs to be some indication in the story journal to avoid the huge frustration that obviously quite a few ppl are experiencing,

That is not an issue with the banners(because you can just look around Amnoon to see what choice you made) so that is not relevant to this thread ...

The fact that the HOT backpack collection has been mentioned numerous times in this thread makes it relevant and nowhere did I suggest that it was an issue with the banners.

@Daroon.1736 said:

The fact that the HOT backpack collection has been mentioned numerous times in this thread makes it relevant and nowhere did I suggest that it was an issue with the banners.

2 very different Expansions.2 very different achievement and acquisitionspeople can mention it al they want, its about PoF banners not HoT.

Archived