(maybe) returning player - asking community help to decide if exps are worth

Hi and thanks in advance if you are reading this !

I have played GW2 almost from launch, have 8 lv80's (one per class), I had managed to get two Legendaries, I had reached Dragon PVP rank and played a boatload of WvW on Piken Square, even as commander, I had built my full ascended armor, and my share of TP gold.I enjoyed the living stories and events, although I hated the desert ones (Silverwaste maybe ?)The part I played less were dungeons and fractals, because of the continued play-time required, which I could not always afford (family)Until the last time I played, I logged every day to do the daily quests and some PVPI could say I always had fun playing the game, helping people around and doing all the above activities

I left the game when HoT was announced, because I found the price tag of the expansion really too high compared to the content proposed, and especially I felt ripped-off because the base package did not even contain an additional char-slot to immediately play the new class, the RevenantAlso, proposed PVE content didn't seem very engaging to me, so I just mentally thanked Anet for the good times, uninstalled the game and moved on to different stuff

Some years forward, I learn that another GW2 exp is out PoF, and I am evaluating purchasing one or both of themWith discount (until Mar-7th), both would come at a not-cheap-at-all price tag of 42Eur, still without an additional char-slot, which I could anyway buy with gold->gems

My questions to you:

• What is your perception of current PVP balance ? Reading around doesn't seem to bad after Feb-6th patch
  • What is current status of WvW ? funny ? balanced ? populated ?
  • I already know about gliders and mounts, but: are masteries grindy to get ?
  • What do you like most of the two exps ? are open-world events good ?
  • In your opinion should I get PoF only or is HoT kinda required to enjoy the game ?

Thank you !

With both you get access to all the masteries / gliding / mounts. If you also choose to get the Living Story episodes then you can access those as well. There are a ton of maps not only in the expansions but also in the Living Story episodes. With new maps and stuff you also get new materials.

Personally I like having all parts available to then go and do what I want and where I feel like going that particular day. Not everyone likes every map and that's normal. I find each map to have it's own pros and cons but there is not one that I refuse to go back to. No matter what anyone else's feelings on any part of any of the expansions is, it is really just up to you. I think you can get both together for less than if you buy each separate anyway. I like the game enough that I went ahead and did prepurchasing and got the top level ones of each. I still play quite often and will probably continue to play for years to come. It's an MMO and will change over time, that's the nature of MMO's and so far I am fine with what's going on. There are parts I just don't play like PvP or Raids but I may in the future. It's there if I want to and that's fine. I like having choices in where and how to play.You get XP from doing almost everything in the game so to me Masteries were not that hard. To get some of the points it is easier with help but then you do NOT need all the points to max them out anyway. If you are having a problem you can always ask in Map chat and most of the time there are people on the way to help you with Hero Points and Mastery Points.

HoT has by far the best, most repeatable and most populated open-world events, gliders are still great to have (even with a griffin), but some people hate the maze-like maps and hard to solo bits. PoF has these amazing mounts, zones look and sound amazing, but most people don't seem to enjoy repeating its content so most of it feels like a desert (pun intended). IMO, both expansions are absolutely great in their own way, and if you enjoy the game, they both add plenty you wouldn't want to be without. Edit: I don't PvP/WvW, and I don't enjoy the endless forum complaining it seems to entail. It's probably not in a great state, but YMMV.TL;DR GET BOTH <3

This game is a fetid cesspool of grind my friend. You will spend hours running around, gearing your toon out just to have the sanctimonious elites at Arena Net, who know more than YOU an dont forget it, nerf it into the ground. Due to Arena Net being COMPLETELY incompetent at class balance. Which is also hurt by Arena Nets insistence that every classes meta get completely gutted or close every 4 to 6 months, its how Arena Net geniuses help balance in game currency with money sinks like having to craft entire new sets of armor just to fit the new meta you have to use cause Arena Net gutted your old one and on a class like the necro that isnt even close to being on par with Arena Nets favorite classes like the warrior. They all get their meta builds nerfed to shit, thats just what the brain donors at AN do. They cant balance so they just take away.

Why play a game dude that has its playerbase spread out over 15 types of PvP and 15000 types of PvE, they playerbase is never centered anywhere cause of this massive convolution which is why WvW never became the main focus of this games pvp system as it should have been. I quit today for good after coming back after 3 years just to see this game even more convoluted. Eve Online is the only game online I can think of with more "grind" time getting your toon to where you want it but at least you can be confident that class/build wont get nerfed every patch. You can never ever say that about GW2. Classes get nerfed every patch. Thats the Arena Net way.

I would avoid this game like the plague because here is what will happen. You will very quickly realize the endless tedium in this game is everywhere in everything you do. In the couple months you are back and getting accustomed to the grind you will see Arena Net gladly gutted your toon, so every few months you have to redo your armor to keep up with Arena Nets incompetence. Yay. all so they can have a money sink in game to help control the game currency and balance lol.

GW2 could have been the greatest game but AN made it tedious and so convoluted its just not worth it, add that to the fact Arena Net WILL nerf your class every patch if it can in its pompous nature.

@"Aegis Fang.5394" said:This game is a fetid cesspool of grind my friend. You will spend hours running around, gearing your toon out just to have the sanctimonious elites at Arena Net, who know more than YOU an dont forget it, nerf it into the ground. Due to Arena Net being COMPLETELY incompetent at class balance. Which is also hurt by Arena Nets insistence that every classes meta get completely gutted or close every 4 to 6 months, its how Arena Net geniuses help balance in game currency with money sinks like having to craft entire new sets of armor just to fit the new meta you have to use cause Arena Net gutted your old one and on a class like the necro that isnt even close to being on par with Arena Nets favorite classes like the warrior. They all get their meta builds nerfed to kitten, thats just what the brain donors at AN do. They cant balance so they just take away.

Why play a game dude that has its playerbase spread out over 15 types of PvP and 15000 types of PvE, they playerbase is never centered anywhere cause of this massive convolution which is why WvW never became the main focus of this games pvp system as it should have been. I quit today for good after coming back after 3 years just to see this game even more convoluted. Eve Online is the only game online I can think of with more "grind" time getting your toon to where you want it but at least you can be confident that class/build wont get nerfed every patch. You can never ever say that about GW2. Classes get nerfed every patch. Thats the Arena Net way.

I would avoid this game like the plague because here is what will happen. You will very quickly realize the endless tedium in this game is everywhere in everything you do. In the couple months you are back and getting accustomed to the grind you will see Arena Net gladly gutted your toon, so every few months you have to redo your armor to keep up with Arena Nets incompetence. Yay. all so they can have a money sink in game to help control the game currency and balance lol.

GW2 could have been the greatest game but AN made it tedious and so convoluted its just not worth it, add that to the fact Arena Net WILL nerf your class every patch if it can in its pompous nature.

Me thinks you should step away from this great game for a while maybe, brave PvP comrade ;-)

As a recently returned player myself, the expansions were absolutely worth it.You get 2 lv80 boosts btw.

The mounts are excellent. .even if PoF maps not so much.Moving around the jungle (HoT), with mounts and gliding, removes a large aspect of the maze and I've been really enjoying it.

Story episodes are known for crashing, if your internet has any lag at all. So I don't play them.I've been spending a good bit of time in WvW, seems lively enough.They're changing the way servers work which should improve activity there.

I don't PvP but apparently balance is an utter mess there and there's not enough players. You will need elite specs to be competitive.

They've added raids and an easier way to change stats of ascended gear. (Via mystic forge). And fractals have change somewhat.

I am, the tedious convoluted nature of this game just drives me bonkers so I apologize if I come off as shrill but I get so tired of Arena Net as a gaming company more than any other really.

Seriously tho there are far better free to play games out there that do not punish you simply because of the gaming company's hubris. Serious you will spend 4 hours just running around to get to a place you want to go, just to farm for 4 hours to get zone only specific currency to buy a recipe off a npc you also had to grind mastery xp just to even talk to, just to buy one ingredient for one piece of armor that you are gonna have to replace in 4 to 6 months cause Arena Nets gonna nerf that build. Fun Right? No no its not. I quit today after coming back after 3 year away cause the tedious grind for EVERYTHING is just gross.

Are there really any needs for having 15 forms of PvP? Any need at all in having 15, 000 forms of PvE spreading out player pop so it never really gets a chance to focus on one thing? That really killed WvW.

Arena Net is too pompous and arrogant for me I guess and the middle finger every patch is also gross.

@Aegis Fang.5394 said:I am, the tedious convoluted nature of this game just drives me bonkers so I apologize if I come off as shrill but I get so tired of Arena Net as a gaming company more than any other really.

Seriously tho there are far better free to play games out there that do not punish you simply because of the gaming company's hubris. Serious you will spend 4 hours just running around to get to a place you want to go, just to farm for 4 hours to get zone only specific currency to buy a recipe off a npc you also had to grind mastery xp just to even talk to, just to buy one ingredient for one piece of armor that you are gonna have to replace in 4 to 6 months cause Arena Nets gonna nerf that build. Fun Right? No no its not. I quit today after coming back after 3 year away cause the tedious grind for EVERYTHING is just gross.

Are there really any needs for having 15 forms of PvP? Any need at all in having 15, 000 forms of PvE spreading out player pop so it never really gets a chance to focus on one thing? That really killed WvW.

Arena Net is too pompous and arrogant for me I guess and the middle finger every patch is also gross.

You know you can get the recipes via WvW? Which to me involves no grinding. ..just playing what I enjoy.

Of course if one enjoys the maps and events, it isn't a grind to play them either.

I find it very difficult to believe that there is ANY MMO out there with 0 grind. It's just a matter of what grind you find most fun.

Thank you everyone for the very good feedback already !

@PyrateSilly.4710 said:With both you get access to all the masteries / gliding / mounts. If you also choose to get the Living Story episodes then you can access those as well. There are a ton of maps not only in the expansions but also in the Living Story episodes. With new maps and stuff you also get new materials.

Personally I like having all parts available to then go and do what I want and where I feel like going that particular day. Not everyone likes every map and that's normal. I find each map to have it's own pros and cons but there is not one that I refuse to go back to. No matter what anyone else's feelings on any part of any of the expansions is, it is really just up to you. I think you can get both together for less than if you buy each separate anyway. I like the game enough that I went ahead and did prepurchasing and got the top level ones of each. I still play quite often and will probably continue to play for years to come. It's an MMO and will change over time, that's the nature of MMO's and so far I am fine with what's going on. There are parts I just don't play like PvP or Raids but I may in the future. It's there if I want to and that's fine. I like having choices in where and how to play.You get XP from doing almost everything in the game so to me Masteries were not that hard. To get some of the points it is easier with help but then you do NOT need all the points to max them out anyway. If you are having a problem you can always ask in Map chat and most of the time there are people on the way to help you with Hero Points and Mastery Points.

Not sure I will spend in-game money to get past EpisodesI mean, I enjoyed the previous ones, just did not find them exactly compellingThe latter section of your post raises the question: is PVP / WvW progress valid for getting masteries ? Ore are they achieved only through PVE content ?

@Goettel.4389 said:HoT has by far the best, most repeatable and most populated open-world events, gliders are still great to have (even with a griffin), but some people hate the maze-like maps and hard to solo bits. PoF has these amazing mounts, zones look and sound amazing, but most people don't seem to enjoy repeating its content so most of it feels like a desert (pun intended). IMO, both expansions are absolutely great in their own way, and if you enjoy the game, they both add plenty you wouldn't want to be without. Edit: I don't PvP/WvW, and I don't enjoy the endless forum complaining it seems to entail. It's probably not in a great state, but YMMV.TL;DR GET BOTH <3ThanksEh, I guess I'd feel the pain of maze-like, vertical maps, I have always sucked hard at JPs

@"Aegis Fang.5394" said:This game is a fetid cesspool of grind my friend. You will spend hours running around, gearing your toon out just to have the sanctimonious elites at Arena Net, who know more than YOU an dont forget it, nerf it into the ground. Due to Arena Net being COMPLETELY incompetent at class balance. Which is also hurt by Arena Nets insistence that every classes meta get completely gutted or close every 4 to 6 months, its how Arena Net geniuses help balance in game currency with money sinks like having to craft entire new sets of armor just to fit the new meta you have to use cause Arena Net gutted your old one and on a class like the necro that isnt even close to being on par with Arena Nets favorite classes like the warrior. They all get their meta builds nerfed to kitten, thats just what the brain donors at AN do. They cant balance so they just take away.

Hmmm, that's pretty harshI agree I recall numerous times when the addition of certain features created a mess in class balance, but I deem it as normal with so many combinations of stats, traits and equipmentOn the other hand, I recall that after those big changes, sooner or later Anet has managed to create a decently balanced metaI cannot relate myself to the necessity of rebuilding my entire equipment after 4-6 monthsAs a matter of fact, you can totally survive in Exotics (which are almost free) in WvW even if meta changesNot to mention PVP has no dedicated equipment at all (a superb design choice IMO)

@Taygus.4571 said:As a recently returned player myself, the expansions were absolutely worth it.You get 2 lv80 boosts btw.

The mounts are excellent. .even if PoF maps not so much.Moving around the jungle (HoT), with mounts and gliding, removes a large aspect of the maze and I've been really enjoying it.

Story episodes are known for crashing, if your internet has any lag at all. So I don't play them.I've been spending a good bit of time in WvW, seems lively enough.They're changing the way servers work which should improve activity there.

I don't PvP but apparently balance is an utter mess there and there's not enough players. You will need elite specs to be competitive.

They've added raids and an easier way to change stats of ascended gear. (Via mystic forge). And fractals have change somewhat.

All very good feedback. The episodes crashes after 6 months from release, ouch, ridiculousRaids I am not sure would be a good choice for me, based on reading around (spot-selling), I very much prefer casual PVE and engaging, challenging PvP

Additional, concise info on the additional features (e.g. how Legendaries crafting works) are very much appreciated

Masteries are only PvE based. ( idk if you max rank in WvW, if there specific masteries there).They are specific to the area. So there core, HoT and PoF masteries.

HoT added collections that allow you to work for an account bound precursor. Making Iegendaries much more achievable, albeit still grind.

There is legendary armour available via Raids (not all guilds spot sell)..or I think WvW. I'm not certain though.

@Taygus.4571 said:Masteries are only PvE based. ( idk if you max rank in WvW, if there specific masteries there).They are specific to the area. So there core, HoT and PoF masteries.

HoT added collections that allow you to work for an account bound precursor. Making Iegendaries much more achievable, albeit still grind.

There is legendary armour available via Raids (not all guilds spot sell)..or I think WvW. I'm not certain though.

You can get legenary armor functionality in both wvw and spvp aswell just not the raid skin.

@GenghisKhan.7842 said:

• I already know about gliders and mounts, but: are masteries grindy to get ?

HoT was essentially designed to be an endgame grind, so the original masteries are very grindy. However, most of them are useless, so if you only bother with the useful ones, it's not a problem.

PoF is the opposite. If you explore your way through the world, you'll be able to unlock all of the masteries without trying.

@Taygus.4571 said:Masteries are only PvE based. ( idk if you max rank in WvW, if there specific masteries there).They are specific to the area. So there core, HoT and PoF masteries.

Ok

@Linken.6345 said:

You can get legenary armor functionality in both wvw and spvp aswell just not the raid skin.

Ok

Well, in all fairness, I need to think twice if I want to spend 40+Euro for doing the same stuff all over again and again

@"Vash.2386" said:I'd say it's worth it to get both expansions, even if you don't replay the PoF content the ability to use mounts throughout the whole game makes a lot of things easier.

Got it

If I well understand, by skipping HoT I would be denied access to the Rev class and the 9 Elite specs released with it, right ?

EDIT:

Hmmm THIS topic here is pushing me hard in the direction of NOT buying any of the two exps :/

PoF seems even more empty than HoT from pure content/$ ratio point of view

@Taygus.4571 said:30€ for 5 mounts is worth it. I'm almost surprised they included so much else.A further 20€ for HoT, is also worth it. The maps are detailed and a lot of fun.

Yes you need HoT to access rev and HoT elites. Rev sucks tho.

Little mistake here though. You can access revenant with PoF but you won't get access to herald. Only Renegade.

@flog.3485 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:30€ for 5 mounts is worth it. I'm almost surprised they included so much else.A further 20€ for HoT, is also worth it. The maps are detailed and a lot of fun.

Yes you need HoT to access rev and HoT elites. Rev sucks tho.

Little mistake here though. You can access revenant with PoF but you won't get access to herald. Only Renegade.

Ah, i thought rev was specific to HoT.

But a quick google shows I'm definitely wrong, oops.

It's not "for 5 mounts," it's for the expansion story/zones/collections, the PoF elite specs, and if you login while they're active, the LS4 maps/story that are coming over the course of the next year. Virtually every DLC/expansion in existence gives less content per dollar than its base game, this is nothing new.. MMOs are still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment over time, unless you go crazy buying cosmetics.

@GenghisKhan.7842 said:

• What is your perception of current PVP balance ? Reading around doesn't seem to bad after Feb-6th patchFirst, ANet has plans to do some skill-splitting, to better balance the numbers for PvP vs WvW vs PvE. That should help things a lot.

However, you should know that the public comments on PvP (including balance) fall into two major categories: those who think PvP is no longer fair, and those who think it's fine for casual play at the not-top levels, partly for the fun, but more for the generous rewards.

• What is current status of WvW ? funny ? balanced ? populated ?(see above re: balance)Additionally, ANet has a long term plan to replace servers with alliances, which should help with match ups. But there's nothing close to an ETA. It wouldn't be for months or more likely late this year.

In terms of population, it very much depends on when you go, which server you're on, and your opponents. Reset night & weekend during peak periods typically still have queues at all tiers. Lots of long-time vets have burned out (for all sorts of reasons) and the populations are not like it was early in the game's history.

But even with all that, a lot of us find WvW fun, sometimes enormously so, and regardless of tier or server.

So... I'd say it's more about the attitude you bring, rather than the state of WvW itself.

• I already know about gliders and mounts, but: are masteries grindy to get ?In PoF, definitely not grindy. Time consuming? sure. But they were easily-obtained in my opinion. Recommendation: start by getting mounts in PoF (even if you buy both games), because it will make obtaining HoT masteries easier.

The HoT masteries are more of a mixed bag. They felt grindy upon release, but with various changes these days (including experience boosters galore), I'm not sure that's true any longer. However, it makes an enormous difference to get nearly every glider mastery, so one does feel handicapped without it. That's why I'd recommend pursuing mounts ahead of gliders.

• What do you like most of the two exps ? are open-world events good ?They appeal to players differently. I like the events in both. I like that I can choose to solo more of PoF than HoT. But ... I find the so-called meta-events more compelling in HoT and the use & acquisition of local currency is also better, for me.

• In your opinion should I get PoF only or is HoT kinda required to enjoy the game ?

Getting both together is only US$50 and I think it's worth the extra 66% over the base price of US$30 each to do that.Plus, there's currently a 25% discount for buying both/either right now (Promo Code: GW2FRIENDSHIPS) so the total cost for both is US$37.50, i.e only slightly more than the price of just one expac will be in a few days. (Code is good through 7 March, not sure of the time it ends)

@"Rhatha.2376" said:It's not "for 5 mounts," it's for the expansion story/zones/collections, the PoF elite specs, and if you login while they're active, the LS4 maps/story that are coming over the course of the next year. Virtually every DLC/expansion in existence gives less content per dollar than its base game, this is nothing new.. MMOs are still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment over time, unless you go crazy buying cosmetics.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@GenghisKhan.7842 said:Compare to 50€ for the core game: 8 classes, 15(?) Maps, tons of events, 7 dungeons, pvp, wvwHere 30€ for 5 mountsReally?

Do you really ex> @GenghisKhan.7842 said:

Compare to 50€ for the core game: 8 classes, 15(?) Maps, tons of events, 7 dungeons, pvp, wvwHere 30€ for 5 mountsReally?

Do you expect expansions to have the same amount of content as the core game?

For comparisons sake, a single unlimited gathering tool costs €12.50

Very good point and the answer is no, I don't expect an exp to cost less and have the same amount of content as a base gameBut, the purchase still has to make some senseA gathering tool priced 12.5€ is absolutely nuts to meI am here genuinely trying to make some sense of the content offered, to understand if it is worth the price tag to meThat's why I am asking your help

My impressions until now:

• Open-world PVE content is generally considered more engaging / long-term-appealing in HoT than PoF, thanks to better big event chains running on the latter
  • PoF maps are beautiful to explore but offer very little to keep long-term interest
  • PoF mounts. Meh to me, as I am more oriented towards...
  • PVP/WVW: good population, decent balance right now, should improve even more with the skill split
  • Current meta is basically made of PoF Elites, PVP almost unplayable without the exp
  • Revenant becomes available even by buying just PoF

Please feel free to add/comment further, I appreciate

Archived