broken damage numbers — Guild Wars 2 Forums

broken damage numbers

Blackjack.5621Blackjack.5621 Member ✭✭

The direction this game takes is worrying. In this post I am speaking from a support player standpoint and while I do understand that people do not enjoy endless stalemate fights I agree with the removal of magi amulet. This way firebrands can add more pressure to each other in order to force cooldowns and it also cuts overall sustain. BUT there is no point in playing support when people legit get oneshot. The burst damage has to be nerfed significantly. It is not fun to die with all cooldowns up when you don't even get to use them. Teamfights should be decided by cooldown management, swapping targets, coordination and communication and not by oneshotting people. If you are gonna kill the support role this will also kill the viability of any class that relies on support like necro and partially revenant, too. Right now I feel like I can not keep up with the support vs power classes, people just die in the cast time of a single heal and besides heal firebrand offers nothing, no damage, no 1v1 potential, no snowball potential, no mobility, no 1v2 potential to stall. The support role has already died in the ranked gamemode and even in tournaments like the last monthly subpar 5-dps setups made it into the finals of both Na and EU monthly. While the proposed changes already adress warrior and holo dps changes you are not planing to touch mesmer and thief, the most broken classes in the game. To visualize what I am talking about I will just give you examples of how stupid power damage in the current meta is:

https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableBlazingPeppermintWow medium armor + vitality amulet getting clean oneshot from stealth by a single mesmer.

https://clips.twitch.tv/TangentialFrozenAdminUWot s/d thief dealing ~23k damage and removing 2x aegis in 3-4 seconds on heavy armor target 1v1 no might stacks. I was at 100% hp + aegis when I started casting sanctuary. Feel free to pause the clip at the point where I start casting sanctuary and rewatch it carefully. I also got hit 5x inside my sanctuary (fix pls). Now Imagine a second mesmer/holo hits you aswell, there is no way to heal/kite that. A class that offers nothing but heal atleast needs to be able to survive a single player, yet more firebrand nerfs are planned but no thief damage nerfs.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ProudIntelligentPlumPhilosoraptor another top player (he is using a toughnes amulet) being skillfully outplayed by stupid class, good luck supporting through that.

https://clips.twitch.tv/InexpensiveSilkyHyenaPupper I landed a couple of oneshots myself as core guardian, then this happened xD The game turns into a clown fiesta.

When ele and core guardian do burst people on 30 second cooldowns without extraordinary disengage ability the risk/reward may be justified, but for mesmer and thief who can spam this kind of damage while being able to reliably disengage from overcommitment it is not acceptable + mes/thief also can use this mobility for decaps and +1s which guard/ele cant and mesmer has access to the strongest and unique utility in the game that has no counterplay to it (portal).

<1345

Comments

• Jace al Thor.6745Jace al Thor.6745 Member ✭✭✭

@Axl.8924 said:
    Life is tough for any reapers doing spvp.

If I have someone say their a reaper in ranked I know that myself or the ele I run with is going to have to carry them. Any necro spec outside Scourge is a death sentence and scourge is too unless there’s two or a FB with them.

• Razor.6392Razor.6392 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm on board with shaving ele burst by a bit, but please give some condi clear or better barriers to non-water using weavers PLEASE.

Never said I'm the best, but I believe I'm better than you.

• So basically you are asking to make infinite DRUID vs DRUID fights possible with every class now !
    No thnks !

S A R À B

• @Jace al Thor.6745 said:

@kin korn karn.9023 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:
    1st video he had a chance to use his stone signet but was too slow
    2nd video guardian almost lasted a full minute standing still in the middle of the point
    3rd video the person got rekt by 2 people

I dont see these as a good representation of your point as all 3 could have easily been preventable. In the 1st video you see obvious time for him to react. Then 2nd video should be self explanatory since he stood still in the middle of the point failing to even turn his camera to track the thief's movement. The 3rd video is of someone having really bad situational awareness and being smoked by 2 ppl

I think the point is that people don't enjoy for an enemy to be able to come out of the shadows and singlehandedly 100-0% them instantly, which isn't all that unreasonable.

But apparently they don’t like fighting condition builds, bunker/bruiser builds, stealth builds, power builds, or team support builds.
    The problem isn’t that any one class is too strong it’s the community moans and groans about everything and anything that they don’t like. The only way Anet could satisfy everyone is to match everyone against an AI team programmed to lost the match. It’s like this in every mmo I’ve played. The community will kitten that the least little thing is OP and demand it be nerfed into the ground. Not nerfed within acceptable levels but completely broken.

I get what you're saying, but any community has some members that will complain about literally everything, it's just different members complaining about different things. You can't logically say "all right, some people complained about bunkers and condi, therefore instagib is ok."

• Bish.8627Bish.8627 Member ✭✭✭

Some of the only professions capable of dealing with this are getting gutted in the upcoming nerf patch. Holo in particular is seeing a massive over nerf. Survivability of other profs will also be hit, while thieves will be spamming 2 again and seeing wild numbers. Although I come from WvW with my opinions, I feel for you pvp guys.

• @Jace al Thor.6745 said:

@Jace al Thor.6745 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:
    2nd video guardian almost lasted a full minute standing still in the middle of the point

I dont see these as a good representation of your point as all 3 could have easily been preventable. In the 1st video you see obvious time for him to react. Then 2nd video should be self explanatory since he stood still in the middle of the point failing to even turn his camera to track the thief's movement. The 3rd video is of someone having really bad situational awareness and being smoked by 2 ppl

I think the point is that people don't enjoy for an enemy to be able to come out of the shadows and singlehandedly 100-0% them instantly, which isn't all that unreasonable.

But apparently they don’t like fighting condition builds, bunker/bruiser builds, stealth builds, power builds, or team support builds.
    The problem isn’t that any one class is too strong it’s the community moans and groans about everything and anything that they don’t like. The only way Anet could satisfy everyone is to match everyone against an AI team programmed to lost the match. It’s like this in every mmo I’ve played. The community will kitten that the least little thing is OP and demand it be nerfed into the ground. Not nerfed within acceptable levels but completely broken.

I get what you're saying, but any community has some members that will complain about literally everything, it's just different members complaining about different things. You can't logically say "all right, some people complained about bunkers and condi, therefore instagib is ok."

Ahh let me introduce you to Anet logic then. Turret engi was wrecking havoc in hot join and low tier ranked pvp a couple years ago. Mid- high tier players didn’t have a problem rotating around it but the complaints came rolling in on the forums from a relatively small group that complained incessantly about how everything but their class was op. Turret engi, and engi in general, was gutted shortly after. No half measures, gutted.

Now come to the present. Anet is going to put Exhaustion on EM to nerf Mirage. The thing is EM isn’t taken for the stun break, rather the condition clear because it can still dodge while stunned. Outside of vigor and energy sigils mirage has no way to regain endurance so no one will be taking EM anymore. Rather than putting a cd on the stun break, or removing it altogether and adding a second condi clear or something they make it worthless. It’s not logical by any means. That’s just one example. Look at reaper, ele, rev, core necro, any engi spec outside holo, etc and you can trace back all the illogical nerfs done on them.

At this time my only hope is Mesmer doesn’t get nuked and Anet rolls out reworks similar to the recent Mesmer one for all the other classes. At this time I think that’s the only way to get things right.

A bit unrelated I guess, but I'll follow your digression. EM is broken as it is and needed a nerf, and it's not just about the condi clear. Sure, without EM you can dodge through stuns, but with it, you're instantly back in the fight. With all the vigor Mesmer has, it's insane to have such frequent access to stun breaks. I think it'll still be somewhat viable after the nerf, but as strong as Infinite Horizon is, I expect most Mirages will opt for that.

• Kasdwer.3721Kasdwer.3721 Member ✭✭✭

Oh the irony in the recent Blackjack Threads
    i guess thats karma

• Axl.8924Axl.8924 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Kasdwer.3721 said:
    Oh the irony in the recent Blackjack Threads
    i guess thats karma

hello fello teef you ranked? how far did you get in?

Here is my list of characters i got so far:

Elementalist 80 with tempest:Talman nul
    Necromancer 80 with reaper:Zex vokar
    Mesmer level 80 no chrono yet:Klanga voosh.
    Level 80 Ranger with druid spec Jedkhan.

@Jace al Thor.6745 said:

@Jace al Thor.6745 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Ahh let me introduce you to Anet logic then. Turret engi was wrecking havoc in hot join and low tier ranked pvp a couple years ago. Mid- high tier players didn’t have a problem rotating around it but the complaints came rolling in on the forums from a relatively small group that complained incessantly about how everything but their class was op. Turret engi, and engi in general, was gutted shortly after. No half measures, gutted.

Now come to the present. Anet is going to put Exhaustion on EM to nerf Mirage. The thing is EM isn’t taken for the stun break, rather the condition clear because it can still dodge while stunned. Outside of vigor and energy sigils mirage has no way to regain endurance so no one will be taking EM anymore. Rather than putting a cd on the stun break, or removing it altogether and adding a second condi clear or something they make it worthless. It’s not logical by any means. That’s just one example. Look at reaper, ele, rev, core necro, any engi spec outside holo, etc and you can trace back all the illogical nerfs done on them.

At this time my only hope is Mesmer doesn’t get nuked and Anet rolls out reworks similar to the recent Mesmer one for all the other classes. At this time I think that’s the only way to get things right.

A bit unrelated I guess, but I'll follow your digression. EM is broken as it is and needed a nerf, and it's not just about the condi clear. Sure, without EM you can dodge through stuns, but with it, you're instantly back in the fight. With all the vigor Mesmer has, it's insane to have such frequent access to stun breaks. I think it'll still be somewhat viable after the nerf, but as strong as Infinite Horizon is, I expect most Mirages will opt for that.

I don’t disagree that EM is strong, it is. But the way they’re going about nerfing it is wrong. Exhaustion, regardless of the amount of vigor up time we can have, ruins the trait. Like I said above, the better option would be an icd, adding a second condi clear and a mirror, anything really would be better than exhaustion. The Mesmer forum has tons of ideas that would make it competitive with IH and still useful. There’s already enough worthless traits, GM’s especially, that the game doesn’t need more.

• Yeah this is why I am really not sure how this nerf to cooldowns on certain builds is going to work. But that's the thing. they are legit complaints but some take it too far. Some complaints adress glaring balance issues. and others simply ask for a playstyle that is not different then thier own percieved status quo.

Surging runes- Sorry but this rune doesn't need to be kitten removed.the 6th bonus actually rewards active game play and picking the right moment over just randomly using it. the only reason it is problematic is because certain elite skills have no visual animation. at best u could increase the cooldown. kitten why not ad some visual cue on the 6th bonus before activating the kitten amulet then removing it all together

People complaining about the kitten trebuchet now. Like come on man.

People complaining about the skyhammer jump pads making kiting to easy.

This is where we are moving to, a stupid kitten zerker burst meta. but there is such a kitten aversion and hate to anything that doesn't die 1 v 1, or anything not power related be they balanced or not the incessant whining kills playstyles.

the above and A-net going too far with overnerfs as well. honestly i'm still giving this upcoming patch a chance, but they better kitten be aware that increasing cooldowns on passive skills and not dealing with damage might kitten make this one of the most terrible patches.

I'm just saying that kitten like fresh air weaver, deadeyes and other builds percieved as weak currently but deal a fuckon of damage need to be kitten kept an eye on even harder now.

• Rodzynald.5897Rodzynald.5897 Member ✭✭✭

People still complaining about firebrand for having too much sustain and being a nuisance to the point of removing magi? Seriously? That dang spec has so many freaking openings and good trade-offs to kill them easy peasy. Never really had a problem with firebrands and I played it as well as fought against it, it's clear as black on white. I am glad I left pvp because I find some people who qq about l2p issues, quite repulsive. This game's easy mode pvp has spoiled you all is what I see.

Casual friendly and quality pvp - these two do not work well together.

• Patrick.2987Patrick.2987 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2018

Broken sustain numbers:
    Firebrand, Druid, Spellbreaker

Broken amount of cc:
    Druid, Thief, Holosmith, Warrior

Broken evade frame numbers:
    Mesmer, Thief, Revenant

Broken stability uptime:
    Firebrand, Holosmith, Mesmer on some builds

Broken mobility:
    Thief, Mesmer, Revenant

Broken damage numbers:
    Guard, Necro (except core), Ele (fresh air), Thief, Mesmer, Revenant

Maybe i forgot something to list.

• Razor.6392Razor.6392 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2018

@Jinks.2057 said:
    too slow

1 second too slow on something completely unexpected.

Never said I'm the best, but I believe I'm better than you.

• BeLZedaR.4790BeLZedaR.4790 Member ✭✭✭

@Patrick.2987 said:
    Broken sustain numbers:

Broken amount of cc:

Mesmer, Thief, Revenant

Broken stability uptime:

Broken mobility:
    Thief, Mesmer, Revenant

Broken damage numbers:

In each of those categories some are better than others (broken tier, holyshitwhyisthisathing tier). The real offenders are those that are better than others in multiple categories, thief and mesmer.

Also mesmer CC on some builds.

Unyielding Legend
    Make condi rev great again!
    Say no to braindead high reward builds

• Jinks.2057Jinks.2057 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Razor.6392 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:
    too slow

1 second too slow on something completely unexpected.

He had time to react and didn't. Once you hear and see the Power Lock you hit your stun break/invuln/block/evade frames/etc. Now if you show me a out of stealth instant 100-0 shatter combo then yes I'll say that's a good example.

@Kahyos.1437 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

I have to disagree with you on the first vid. The fact that he had a VERY little window to not get downed is not balanced at all. What's more, the build that got bursted was far from a glass build. And all that from a stealth attack. That was a low risk high reward play, and on plat rating.

No he had enough time. More than enough. You can disagree but the fact is the damage wasn't instant and came with very definite visual & auditory cues of what was coming.

Which tough/vit amulet was the fella using that makes him tanky to burst damage?

Where was his stone form? I'm assuming he either A wasn't running it or B had it trigger already.

@Jinks.2057 said:

@Kahyos.1437 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

I have to disagree with you on the first vid. The fact that he had a VERY little window to not get downed is not balanced at all. What's more, the build that got bursted was far from a glass build. And all that from a stealth attack. That was a low risk high reward play, and on plat rating.

No he had enough time. More than enough. You can disagree but the fact is the damage wasn't instant and came with very definite visual & auditory cues of what was coming.

Which tough/vit amulet was the fella using that makes him tanky to burst damage?

Where was his stone form? I'm assuming he either A wasn't running it or B had it trigger already.

Not to mention if you watch you see purple flames about a second before you see the power lock animation. He has plenty of time to react but is too focused on chasing and downing the player off point.

• Patrick.2987Patrick.2987 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2018

@Kasdwer.3721 said:

@Patrick.2987 said:
    Broken sustain numbers:

Broken amount of cc:

Mesmer, Thief, Revenant

Broken stability uptime:

Broken mobility:
    Thief, Mesmer, Revenant

Broken damage numbers:

Broken evade Rev? Broken Mobility Rev? Broken dmg Rev? broken stability uptime mes? Broken cc thief?
    what are you smoking?
    also you kinda forgot scourge in the entire list, cuz if we balance around this list only, thief/mesmer/rev would need nerfs and scourge/fb would be fine

'Broken damage: Necro' includes scourge. Revenant has higher mobility than most professions and also evade frames from sword, staff 5 and dodge utility make it have more evade frames than most professions. This list does not tell if some professions are weak in some aspects, it just shows in which aspects some professions overperform compared to others. Obviously Thief is stronger than revenant preventing it beeing used alot and also the missing condi clears make it not an often seen pick aswell. Also if other broken stuff is nerfed, the weaknesses might be less obvious. Some chrono builds have like perma stability even often more than 1 stack at a time. Thief with double steal or headshotspam, pistolwhip, venom etc. also has more access to cc than many other specs. But of course as belzedar pointed out some professions are more dominant in some aspects than others.

• Kasdwer.3721Kasdwer.3721 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2018

but thats why the entire list is irrlevant, "overperforming" in certain aspect is literally the diversity classes has and why they are different classes to begin with, you wanna nerf rev mobility? you wanna give rev more condi cleanse and tankyness in return? do it with every class and after that every class will feel the same with no difference, the entire idea of having classes is that some of them perform better in certain aspects but worse in others

the entire list means nothing when the classes that overperform also has clear weaknesses

• Kahyos.1437Kahyos.1437 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2018

@Jinks.2057 said:

@Kahyos.1437 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

He has a video where he was using paladin's amulet to take advantage of Oppressive Superiority. Also, I don't recall him running stone signet. I think he uses dolyak stance for sustain.

• Mr Godlike.6098Mr Godlike.6098 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2018

I will give strange opinion...nobody really need's support in this game...let me explain...

Why firbrand is viable in pvp? Bacuse socruge need's it...and nobody else....this the same story as it was with tempest...

What's reason to be be firebrand in team without scourge if:

• Druid should get outnumbered...and shouldn't ask for help in that to stay alive...if he's too long in 1v1 he should get help from thief to get node fast instead wasting time on uncapped/caped node...what help from firebrand changes?
    • Spellbraker - almost the same
    • Holo- barely the same situation.
    • Mirage - +1 everything or try to contest node if you are that good still you get nothing from extra life insurance ekem...firebrand
    • Thief should never 1v1 or just +1 stuff ...so what he gains by helping his friendly firebrand? Life insurance in basically 1v1 - and that's big waste of potential of thief.

Who need's really firebrand? And what he can do to carry his team? Looks like anet nerfs are clear...firebrand will be heal bot...without any possibility to do something on his own to reward players for carrying matches...As somebody that HAD TO play tempest healbot (that was in the same relation with reaper)...reducing support abilities to just carry scourges ....it just boring...and just makes whole support healer idea purely a joke.

edited March 4, 2018

@Kahyos.1437 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@Kahyos.1437 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

He has a video where he was using paladin's amulet to take advantage of Oppressive Superiority. Also, I don't recall him running stone signet. I think he uses dolyak stance for sustain.

Stone form is the passive that triggers lesser stone signet when you are less than 50% health.

All this complaining about burst damage being out of control fails to take into consideration how many passive traits are in the game to save your kitten.

• Rufo.3716Rufo.3716 Member ✭✭✭

Biggest problem is there is to much stealth and to much mobility. All this needs to be toned down by at least half. So maybe sometimes you can at least see the bursts coming and defend yourself. That and most of these problems could have been prevented by a public test server. But apparently Anet is either to stubborn, or to stupid, to realize it would benefit the game. They could have avoided all these pathetic excuses for balance patches they've released lately that drove away most every decent player in the game. Instead they now are changing everything to no skill BS crap. Mesmer at least used to take some skill to play, now it's just mash a few buttons and you can do just fine.

• Mr Godlike.6098Mr Godlike.6098 Member ✭✭✭

@Rufo.3716 said:
    Biggest problem is there is to much stealth and to much mobility. All this needs to be toned down by at least half. So maybe sometimes you can at least see the bursts coming and defend yourself. That and most of these problems could have been prevented by a public test server. But apparently Anet is either to stubborn, or to stupid, to realize it would benefit the game. They could have avoided all these pathetic excuses for balance patches they've released lately that drove away most every decent player in the game. Instead they now are changing everything to no skill BS crap. Mesmer at least used to take some skill to play, now it's just mash a few buttons and you can do just fine.

Interesting...

So when match is about to start...i click one button and i see...ow they have a thief...so i know if won't win my 1v1 fast i will be +1 by thief...
    And then i'am stuck 1v1 and get bursted by thief....i guess by your explanation i should be totally surprised...
    yea I spend few minutes in one places 1v1 with my important stuff on cool down and i should be surprised how ,,unpredictable" enemy thief behaved.

But seriously speaking test servers seems to be to good idea - or just short patch betas. Although if i would be Anet I would have the same issues as ever probably - who's feedback we should listen.

But...what this has to do with issue - how pointless is playing ranked as firebrand...or any support build.

• Kahyos.1437Kahyos.1437 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2018

@Jinks.2057 said:

@Kahyos.1437 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@Kahyos.1437 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Stone form is the passive that triggers lesser stone signet when you are less than 50% health.

All this complaining about burst damage being out of control fails to take into consideration how many passive traits are in the game to save your kitten.

Well, the goal of the latest balance patch is to be less reliant on passives, which is really boring gameplay. Nerf passives, and nerf bursts.

<1345
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.