The Good Old 1v1 in WvW

I'm not saying do it, or don't do it.

But I'll say this.... I'm running through my home bl... zipping toward south west between nwc and bay and I see two people fighting on the plains where the centaurs are. I haven't seen 1v1 in wvw for ages and I don't give it a second thought. As I roll through (with no words coming from the other person in the fight), I hit my goodies, down, kill, carry on... Hey my team mate was losing and it looked like a stomp was imminent...

lol... so a few seconds later I start getting whisper stains about how SoS can't handle doing anything but fighting other people with bigger numbers... (SoS?... ok)... he tells me they were 1v1'ing and I apologize for the mistake.. and I figure it's over. Then he fires off a few more flames at me instead of accepting my apology... What I say next I'm not sorry for at all... I told him..

Ok then.. remember this.. you can go to OS and do proper WvW 1v1 there... or you can do it here. If you do it here and I see you again, you're dead. As my Soulbeast pet says: If Its Red Its Dead.

Seriously if you want to 1v1 in WvW then go to an out of the way place, not between two keeps and a camp where you don't stand a chance of being anything but pounded into the ground. I will not have mercy, and I don't expect mercy from anyone that finds me either. Come get me.. kill me if you can.. I have wp mastery! Game on!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meh, I came to simply amuse myself probably. I think people should fight wherever they want, but they better know that if they're in a hot zone they're in danger just like everyone else. It's a little 'tongue in cheek' and not a real big deal. But yes I will say that the message is in my OP... If you are in the way that I'm running through and it's not one of those "known" 1v1 zones... it's a good chance I'm going to hit you. It is the WvW after all, not buddy sit on the stands and watch 1v1 time.

I have to wonder on another topic you mentioned Strider.... what would you consider a cheese Soulbeast build?

@Nocturnal Lunacy.8563 said:

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:I'm not saying do it, or don't do it.

But I'll say this.... I'm running through my home bl... zipping toward south west between nwc and bay and I see two people fighting on the plains where the centaurs are. I haven't seen 1v1 in wvw for ages and I don't give it a second thought. As I roll through (with no words coming from the other person in the fight), I hit my goodies, down, kill, carry on... Hey my team mate was losing and it looked like a stomp was imminent...

lol... so a few seconds later I start getting whisper stains about how SoS can't handle doing anything but fighting other people with bigger numbers... (SoS?... ok)... he tells me they were 1v1'ing and I apologize for the mistake.. and I figure it's over. Then he fires off a few more flames at me instead of accepting my apology... What I say next I'm not sorry for at all... I told him..

Ok then.. remember this.. you can go to OS and do proper WvW 1v1 there... or you can do it here. If you do it here and I see you again, you're dead. As my Soulbeast pet says: If Its Red Its Dead.

Seriously if you want to 1v1 in WvW then go to an out of the way place, not between two keeps and a camp where you don't stand a chance of being anything but pounded into the ground. I will not have mercy, and I don't expect mercy from anyone that finds me either. Come get me.. kill me if you can.. I have wp mastery! Game on!

Thinking just as yours is part of the reason wvw is in such a poor state as it is. But being that you think this way, wvw is great for you.

huh? Well thanks for the chuckle. WvW is a battle ground with OS there for sparring. Seriously there’s no need to get salty... Nothing I’ve said or done here has anything to do with the negative state of WvW.

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

Thinking just as yours is part of the reason wvw is in such a poor state as it is. But being that you think this way, wvw is great for you.

huh? Well thanks for the chuckle. WvW is a battle ground with OS there for sparring. Seriously there’s no need to get salty... Nothing I’ve said or done here has anything to do with the negative state of WvW.

whos salty? i was just stating things as they are. And as i also said, you can't see it cuz, well you think the way you do.

as I said above...

Nothing I’ve said or done here has anything to do with the negative state of WvW.

as for the rest... we see it differently which is all good :)

@Vivilett.8509 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:So... You are looking to discuss what?

That you got salty whispers?That your build may or may not be cheese?That people should only fight 1v1 in the places you described?

Or to come here to vent that you stumbled upon someone out of cooldowns and managed to kill them..

Welp you found the guy you killed lol

Lol. Would appear that way. Except I don't ever 1v1 because I know I'm not that good. :blush:

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:meh, I came to simply amuse myself probably. I think people should fight wherever they want, but they better know that if they're in a hot zone they're in danger just like everyone else. It's a little 'tongue in cheek' and not a real big deal. But yes I will say that the message is in my OP... If you are in the way that I'm running through and it's not one of those "known" 1v1 zones... it's a good chance I'm going to hit you. It is the WvW after all, not buddy sit on the stands and watch 1v1 time.

I have to wonder on another topic you mentioned Strider.... what would you consider a cheese Soulbeast build?

I don't consider it cheese. I also feel like you came here to vent. Vs an actual discussion. But hey, you aren't alone.

If i see two guys doing 1vs1 not planned even if my server mate is dying I tend not to interfere.

To be honest I find very coward outnumber a fight in wvw off objective, it is not conquest mode and the reward for 1 single kill is just almost nothing.

Unfortunately the good old solo roaming is dead, you just find those stupid broken builds that oneshot people from stealth and at the same time have tons of escape utilies as well. And even more cancerous are those havoc groups of 3-10 people who chase you 10vs1 off objective even for a minute until they finally get you and drop a siege on you and whisper you how bad you are.

What's the satisfaction of chasing one guy around the map 10vs1?I can understand inside a camp, getting a tower, but going 2vs1 3vs1 4vs1 or even more in free zones what's the fun of that? You won't learn anything of your profession if you keep going for the easy outnumbered kill. How can someone survive to 2 power cancer mirages or 2 thieves? It's impossible and pof made roaming completed dead.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:meh, I came to simply amuse myself probably. I think people should fight wherever they want, but they better know that if they're in a hot zone they're in danger just like everyone else. It's a little 'tongue in cheek' and not a real big deal. But yes I will say that the message is in my OP... If you are in the way that I'm running through and it's not one of those "known" 1v1 zones... it's a good chance I'm going to hit you. It is the WvW after all, not buddy sit on the stands and watch 1v1 time.

I don't consider it cheese. I also feel like you came here to vent. Vs an actual discussion. But hey, you aren't alone.

ya I hear ya... but not vent really.. more a little amused but still wanting to remind folks that it is, after all, a war zone. Yes I do agree that it would have been nicer to down then carry on and I'll actually leave it at that.. unless it's a thief... I have a penchant for going after those guys simply because of the stealth. If I can get them I will.. but then again I don't think I've ever seen any thief in a 1v1 in wvw.

Having said all I've said I will give a little bit on my stance and, if I survive my interference (if when I do it), I will down and not finish.. unless my ally says keeeel himmmm..

Cheers!

Knowing Balthazzarr probably better than anyone in game I have to say he is the best person I've ever met in an mmo next to my wife. He loves wvw, is a super supportive community member who is respectful to his enemy 90% of the time which is better than I can say for most. His point is: "its not always easy to know who is 1v1ing in wvw and most of us know this and should keep salty feelings to themselves rather than spew it in a message". As far as 1v2 in wvw...it happens to all of us, and I've died to more 2v1 cheese builds than I can count and so has Balth. Point is its a battle ground. Its there for the fun of the fight. Lets just enjoy it and keep the salt down.

I duel a lot, and I do it in inappropriate places. But I always keep in mind that I might get interrupted and most of my dueling opponents leave me be when I get attacked by a random cookie, so I slap ‘em and we get back to dueling. Just learn to watch your back and your surroundings and play along. It’s the beauty of it. So a random Dbag got mad at you, and so effin what? Crush em and proceed to duel. They ain’t gonna beat you. Worst case scenario they’ll learn something from the interaction. You thought another player something about the game. Take it as an achievement not as a reason to take to the forum and express your frustration.

P.S. SoS does suck horrendously in small scale encounters, I know, I’m linked with them.

Why do people keep saying "goto OS if you want your 1v1s" there is no 1 and nothing there, that's like telling you other guys if you want to karma train then go eotm and stop wasteing space in BL or EBG . Even though solo roaming is "dead" (apparently) there still seems to be a lot of cries about about 1v1s happening.

Never understood the big deal. Attack any enemies you meet or leave them alone if you choose to do so.People can take the "good manners" nonsense to some silly extremes. In terms of duels, with their guilds squads and whenever they feel like they are getting zerged.The entire point is as silly as ever. WvW is supposed to immitate a battlefield. Anything else was simply decided by certain groups of players to benefit themselves.You get jumped by a player during your duels - sucks to be you, you get help randomly - sucks to be them. Always be ready for random encounters and to watch your own back to be able to disengage or take on multiple foes. That is the fun of roaming in WvW to me. It is not fair and was never supposed to be fair.

Also, nothing shows you how much you won as when someone goes through the trouble to whisper you in WvW.

@"Henry.5713" said:Never understood the big deal. Attack any enemies you meet or leave them alone if you choose to do so.People can take the "good manners" nonsense to some silly extremes. In terms of duels, with their guilds squads and whenever they feel like they are getting zerged.The entire point is as silly as ever. WvW is supposed to immitate a battlefield. Anything else was simply decided by certain groups of players to benefit themselves.You get jumped by a player during your duels - sucks to be you, you get help randomly - sucks to be them. Always be ready for random encounters and to watch your own back to be able to disengage or take on multiple foes. That is the fun of roaming in WvW to me. It is not fair and was never supposed to be fair.

Also, nothing shows you how much you won as when someone goes through the trouble to whisper you in WvW.

But where is the fun of people going 5 or 10 vs 1 single guy, off objective?

I can understand if im taking a camp and people come kill me to keep the camp for them, but going 5vs1 around the map in neutral zones is just coward for me.How much you get from a kill off objective? 25wxp and a loot bag?

And those people even siege bm you after they killed you.

If i see one guy alone vs another guy unless he is getting a map objective i leave them alone to fight and i dont go for the easy coward kill on him because you won't learn anything of your profession if you just kill easy targets.

That's just my opinion and how i decided to play the game.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

@"Henry.5713" said:Never understood the big deal. Attack any enemies you meet or leave them alone if you choose to do so.People can take the "good manners" nonsense to some silly extremes. In terms of duels, with their guilds squads and whenever they feel like they are getting zerged.The entire point is as silly as ever. WvW is supposed to immitate a battlefield. Anything else was simply decided by certain groups of players to benefit themselves.You get jumped by a player during your duels - sucks to be you, you get help randomly - sucks to be them. Always be ready for random encounters and to watch your own back to be able to disengage or take on multiple foes. That is the fun of roaming in WvW to me. It is not fair and was never supposed to be fair.

But where is the fun of people going 5 or 10 vs 1 single guy, off objective?

I can understand if im taking a camp and people come kill me to keep the camp for them, but going 5vs1 around the map in neutral zones is just coward for me.How much you get from a kill off objective? 25wxp and a loot bag?

And those people even siege bm you after they killed you.

If i see one guy alone vs another guy unless he is getting a map objective i leave them alone to fight and i dont go for the easy coward kill on him because you won't learn anything of your profession if you just kill easy targets.

That's just my opinion and how i decided to play the game.

Oh, I certainly agree with you there. It is not fun to me either to run around in a group picking of single players. Never really interrupt duels myself nor do I go in between GvGs to annoy people. It is a matter of your mindset and how you decide to play the game. Many will disagree with this mindset, however.Running in groups, backstabbing people - call it cowardly, call it playing smart - doesn't really matter. Never expect people to honor something you decided upon for yourself. I often see player claim silly things such as "you do not interrupt duels", "prime time is for GvGs and not PPT" or anything along these lines. Are these universal laws that the game mode revolves around? No, not really. Players interested in either simply claim it does as they benefit from it.I often take part in duels and GvGs but I would never get angry over something like that nor would I go on in length how these guys are so stupid because they do not care about "good manners". They do not play the game any different than you do - they play it the way they enjoy.

It's an interesting and sometimes polarizing topic isn't it? What I didn't mention in my OP was that by habit I typically do NOT interfere people when I know they are doing a 1v1 duel. But also as noted, if you are dueling in a HOT zone and not out of the way you are seriously at risk.

The other point about say 5 people going after 1? Hey if that 1 person is a roamer who is going to take a camp and let's say we see him.. of course we're not going to let him just to get the camp... it's WAR... he must be sent back to his WP. That's life in WvW folks. Not mean, not ignorant.. not fun for the receiver... but part of the game. As has been noted above.. I get ganked all the time when I'm roaming as well. I curse at the !@#$!@#$ that killed me... but not in anger.. just because they caught me. Then I go out again.

My bottom line is if you duel in a hot zone you are bound to get killed by a person or people running through, period. ;)

Archived