[vT]Hobo: Grieving Reaper WvW Roaming [Video]

Helly.2597

@"Justine.6351" said:Fake. Roaming dead, Necro only nerfs and most useless class in wvw.

No really though, power corrupting is kind of op at pug stomping.

Well i tried out grieving a long time ago and dropped it. I played full grieving, with celestial rings and amulet.First it was fun. Pretty easy to kill other necros.

But then there come the problems.You cannot kill any druid or guard or warrior or mesmer or thief or mesmer.Which are the most effective roaming classes.

For guard you just dont have enough burst dmg.He will always heal back to full.

Your only chance is, that enemy believes, that you are either full power or full condi.And that they rlly try to fight you heads on.

I switched to a power scourge after that, or my core condimancer.Everyone expects scourge to be condi. So you take that axe and delete their lifes. Easy mightstacking, then go full ham and do that 20k dmg channel from axe 2. Everyone will run away, especially if you give yourself some neat quickness with sigill of agility.

And with core. Everybody expects you to be a noob and you kill them more or less easily: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBLhZakjGKvxibwvG4wxRtQRfj54ahzZA0Axw+fLBA-jVyCQBA4QAcQ1fW2+DXUZwxeCAVUpHBPBAoUJY90HQKgF1pB-w

@Nimon.7840 said:

@"Justine.6351" said:Fake. Roaming dead, Necro only nerfs and most useless class in wvw.

Well i tried out grieving a long time ago and dropped it. I played full grieving, with celestial rings and amulet.First it was fun. Pretty easy to kill other necros.

But then there come the problems.You cannot kill any druid or guard or warrior or mesmer or thief or mesmer.Which are the most effective roaming classes.

Your only chance is, that enemy believes, that you are either full power or full condi.And that they rlly try to fight you heads on.

I switched to a power scourge after that, or my core condimancer.Everyone expects scourge to be condi. So you take that axe and delete their lifes. Easy mightstacking, then go full ham and do that 20k dmg channel from axe 2. Everyone will run away, especially if you give yourself some neat quickness with sigill of agility.

And with core. Everybody expects you to be a noob and you kill them more or less easily:

I tried grieving a long time ago too but that was before the buff to Reaper shroud burst damage.I think after the buff, the potential is there to go grieving again.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:

And with core. Everybody expects you to be a noob and you kill them more or less easily:

I tried grieving a long time ago too but that was before the buff to Reaper shroud burst damage.I think after the buff, the potential is there to go grieving again.

With long time ago i meant something like 10th of february. So after the last balance patchAnd i dont know. Reapers burst dmg is pretty low.Try thief, or mesmer, or warrior, then you know, what true burst looks like

@Nimon.7840 said:

With long time ago i meant something like 10th of february. So after the last balance patchAnd i dont know. Reapers burst dmg is pretty low.Try thief, or mesmer, or warrior, then you know, what true burst looks like

I'm trying a variant of grievers now actually and the burst is quite scary.

If you've watched Akijin's youtube Deadeye videos (very decent Deadeye), I just won against him 1 vs 1 on his deadeye in open field.The trick in my win was using spectral grasp while standing in the middle of his shadowstep because even if he returned, he still got pulled by my grasp.The next 2 rounds I lost badly though as he caught on to my trick I guess and instead of shadow returning, he looked out for my spectral grasp and dodged them lol...

Also beat a very decent power mirage that was dueling Akijin with the grievers build.

I think like DeceiverX mentioned in an old post, a fully offensive Reaper is the best way to play it.Instead of reacting to opponent's plays, you try to take the initiative.It would have been even scarier with the 7 seconds shroud cooldown i guess.

Build I was using:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNAnYRnc0At2gd2A22A0biFcBDaAEAOAxXxu4YMaDkv+AA-jFDFQBL4EAUj9HSiSDFqMgBHCA1pPQpqXQVlYZVJo+URBAPAAEcEAAA-w

@ZDragon.3046 said:Very nice quality on this. Would you try grieving core or is that just not worth the struggle? lolIts nice to see some good high quality reaper videos though. good job.

Thanks I appreciate it. Honestly I probably won't give core grieving a try. Previously I actually liked core from time to time using a signet boon corrupt build (before the trait change) but since that trait got changed I just don't find it as enjoyable.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Very nice grievers idea!The condi ticks gave Reaper an added dimension in Attack and makes it more effective against kiters and anti power builds.

With the changes to reaper shroud grieving became much better than vipers. Honestly full on power has a good bit better sustain, but I've always found it a bit too one dimensional with regards to most matchups. Like you said, the dual damage sources can help in a lot of fights and you still pack a good punch.> @Nimon.7840 said:

I would say that grieving/power scourge is probably better than any reaper spec currently with regards to basically all roaming. Personally I think grieving scourge is better than its pure power variant, but you can swing it both ways. Grieving reaper doesn't have the highest pure burst, but one advantage it had back in the deathly chill era (rip) is that your burst can easily hit 3-5 ppl at once which can help you win a lot of outnumbered fights by that alone.

Anyways, I also have another video of grieving reaper roaming out. Enjoy.

Well i didnt make any video about my grieving gameplay.It takes me like 2 hours to upload 5 minutes of video.And since i dropped that build pretty fast, i didnt think it was worth it showing.

Well you can see me failing with my build here:https://youtu.be/hiXsmUHrEjM

Around the 1 minute mark. And im the enemy necro.

That was one of the first fights, when i fought the owner of this video.And i wasnt used to have 4 dodges in a row.

Edit: i have to add that these fights were pretty even. It was 3-3 scorewise. But when i fought some full minstrel firebrands, i lost.Just because firebrand could outheal everything. Add a bit of burning, and that slowly will kill you.

• 3 weeks later...

@bLind.6278 said:@Helly, you think Grieving is a better option than Sinister/Vipers alternatives? I'm thinking of crafting some new gear for my necro, and grieving sounds like fun, but I dunno if it's worth jumping through hoops to get it.

It depends on your preferred Gamemode. I can't speak for PvE at all (sorry). For WvW thankfully once you get one ascended set swapping to grieving is extremely cheap (the stat swap insignia is like 35s each or something very cheap). So I would recommend getting one of the easier sets first then converting if you want.

I think in the current meta in WvW for mainly Condi defense and fewer tempests for the protection I'd recommend grieving from anything from roaming to zerging. Vipers has fallen off and grieving exploits the axe buffs well.

Grieving has much lower sustain than berserker as you need to run curses over soul reaping and decimate defenses and deathly chill in reaper traitline for optimal performance. So you end up with a tiny LF pool, crippled LF generation and no armor.

It's a one trick pony. A compentent opponent will die to you one time and then notice what happened. The second time he will tease you into shroud, disengage (every class - even other reapers - can do that) and wait you to leave shroud and then reengage to destroy you in 2 seconds. Just like it happens when you roam on viper gear and face an opponent with a brain.

The optimal reaper pvp gear has toughness and precision as minor stats. If it existed, it would look like this:

+Power+Ferocity-Precision-Toughness

or

+Power+Condition Damage-Precision-Toughness

Grieving is PvE gear and making fancy videos with it is just a compromising of superbad opponents. Again: no competent roamer on a power build lets you survive that 10s shroud cooldown on 1967 armor (ascended base armor) when he is aware that you run such a build. ANet forced us into tanky gear when they reworked SoS. But at least we have crit chance increasing traits in 3 (!) traitlines letting us exchange some precision for toughness.

@KrHome.1920 said:Grieving has much lower sustain than berserker as you need to run curses over soul reaping and decimate defenses and deathly chill in reaper traitline for optimal performance. So you end up with a tiny LF pool, crippled LF generation and no armor.

It's a one trick pony. A compentent opponent will die to you one time and then notice what happened. The second time he will tease you into shroud, disengage (every class - even other reapers - can do that) and wait you to leave shroud and then reengage to destroy you in 2 seconds. Just like it happens when you roam on viper gear and face an opponent with a brain.

The optimal reaper pvp gear has toughness and precision as minor stats. If it existed, it would look like this:

or

Grieving is PvE gear and making fancy videos with it is just a compromising of superbad opponents. Again: no competent roamer on a power build lets you survive that 10s shroud cooldown on 1967 armor (ascended base armor) when he is aware that you run such a build. ANet forced us into tanky gear when they reworked SoS. But at least we have crit chance increasing traits in 3 (!) traitlines letting us exchange some precision for toughness.

I agree with most of what you have said.There are some matchups currently in WvW at least where I find Curses to be a major help though.For example the current Sword Weaver roamers and Condi sustain Revenants.Both of those builds spam boons and sustain like crazy.Curses offers additional boon hate and weakness uptime.

@KrHome.1920 said:Grieving has much lower sustain than berserker as you need to run curses over soul reaping and decimate defenses and deathly chill in reaper traitline for optimal performance. So you end up with a tiny LF pool, crippled LF generation and no armor.

or

Yes we are aware 1vX vids are made possible with pug stomping builds. And all that I can say to that is it works well in WvW. I do not know of these competent roamers you are talking about.

@Justine.6351 said:I do not know of these competent roamers you are talking about.Are you from NA?

In EU 90% of the necro builds published in this forum achieve a K/D ratio of maybe 1/10 in duells. They are gimmicky. There is no scenario in a non static environment where flesh wurm is any good and worth a utility slot. Spectral wall? The builds that skill would be useful against (warriors!) just walk through and ignore it because of stability/resistance.

Even the berserker shout reaper build in Nimons video seems to shine in 1v1, but is trash in real world roaming. Meta warriors/spellbreakers, dragonhunters/core guards , soulbeasts, thieves, trailblazer scourges, power shiros, axe/focus/gs-berserker/cavalier reapers ... they all destroy that build at the same skill level or even below. I know it because I played it ages ago (HoT release) when it was even stronger and dropped it as it has too many counters and lacks an oh shit button like plague signet when condi spiked or the spectral armor/shroud combo when power spiked. In this video there are many moments where the opponent of the poster missed a big window of opportunity to finish him off and gave him room to recover for no reason.

What's the point of roaming when you run a build that can't beat the metabattle copy/paste builds 90% of all roamers run? Maybe in NA people run more trash builds in WvW like they also do in PvP. I don't know...

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Justine.6351 said:I do not know of these competent roamers you are talking about.Are you from NA?

In EU 90% of the necro builds published in this forum achieve a K/D ratio of maybe 1/10 in duells. They are gimmicky. There is no scenario in a non static environment where flesh wurm is any good and worth a utility slot. Spectral wall? The builds that skill would be useful against (warriors!) just walk through and ignore it because of stability/resistance.

Even the berserker shout reaper build in Nimons video seems to shine in 1v1, but is trash in real world roaming. Meta warriors/spellbreakers, dragonhunters/core guards , soulbeasts, thieves, trailblazer scourges, power shiros, axe/focus/gs-berserker/cavalier reapers ... they all destroy that build at the same skill level or even below. I know it because I played it ages ago (HoT release) when it was even stronger and dropped it as it has too many counters and lacks an oh kitten button like plague signet when condi spiked or the spectral armor/shroud combo when power spiked. In this video there are many moments where the opponent of the poster missed a big window of opportunity to finish him off and gave him room to recover for no reason.

What's the point of roaming when you run a build that can't beat the metabattle copy/paste builds 90% of all roamers run? Maybe in NA people run more trash builds in WvW like they also do in PvP. I don't know...

Roaming in WvW is 3 people running around smasing buttons and running away when they take damage. When they outnumber something they use 1200 range builds in sub 600 range cause they feel like it does more damage.

@KrHome.1920 said:

Even the berserker shout reaper build in Nimons video seems to shine in 1v1, but is trash in real world roaming. Meta warriors/spellbreakers, dragonhunters/core guards , soulbeasts, thieves, trailblazer scourges, power shiros, axe/focus/gs-berserker/cavalier reapers ... they all destroy that build at the same skill level or even below. I know it because I played it ages ago (HoT release) when it was even stronger and dropped it as it has too many counters and lacks an oh kitten button like plague signet when condi spiked or the spectral armor/shroud combo when power spiked. In this video there are many moments where the opponent of the poster missed a big window of opportunity to finish him off and gave him room to recover for no reason.

Man you've got to relax a bit man. It's really easy to sit in your chair and overanalyze videos. I don't really upload to impress people. I'd be the first person to admit the build probably sucks and isn't any use, but I'd rather use a build like that instead of just playing TB scourge and duoing with a firebrand and rolling over shit 2v8.

Who cares about duels? I can cherrypick opponents that suck and achieve over a 1/10 ratio on a base necro using death magic/blood/ and a blank traitline. Against roamers I've actually seen around doing 1v3s it's probably closer to 60% winrate for the build I've been playing when I 1v1 them, but who cares? I can't lie, if you're getting 1/10 winrate on any class in duels against the average skilled dueler in WvW the issue goes beyond the build.

It is humorous to me that apparently in the 1 day a week I actually play this game that I must only face horrible opponents and that clearly the only reason why any fights are won are because my opponents are so dumb they manage to carry me. Hell a 2min fight against a warrior that keeps trying to bait out my cds and I get hit by 1 burst skill in the entire fight, I must've been lucky.

You two need to take a breather and appreciate that anyone is willing to give reaper content at this point. And if you think you can do better I'll look for the video of you doing outnumbered fights on a reaper build consistently.

@Helly.2597 said:

Man you've got to relax a bit man. It's really easy to sit in your chair and overanalyze videos. I don't really upload to impress people. I'd be the first person to admit the build probably sucks and isn't any use, but I'd rather use a build like that instead of just playing TB scourge and duoing with a firebrand and rolling over kitten 2v8.

Who cares about duels? I can cherrypick opponents that suck and achieve over a 1/10 ratio on a base necro using death magic/blood/ and a blank traitline. Against roamers I've actually seen around doing 1v3s it's probably closer to 60% winrate for the build I've been playing when I 1v1 them, but who cares? I can't lie, if you're getting 1/10 winrate on any class in duels against the average skilled dueler in WvW the issue goes beyond the build.

It is humorous to me that apparently in the 1 day a week I actually play this game that I must only face horrible opponents and that clearly the only reason why any fights are won are because my opponents are so dumb they manage to carry me. Hell a 2min fight against a warrior that keeps trying to bait out my cds and I get hit by 1 burst skill in the entire fight, I must've been lucky.

You two need to take a breather and appreciate that anyone is willing to give reaper content at this point. And if you think you can do better I'll look for the video of you doing outnumbered fights on a reaper build consistently.

You probably wont find any to be honest. This is a guy claiming MH dagger has a higher skill cap than GS.

Anyone playing a reaper should understand the spec itself under-performs right now due to the degen change and nerf to SoS. So have fun with it if you choose to play it but understand it's not setting records for optimal play.

DM/BM core can actually be very good depending on matchups, though. I recently trolled one into a guildmate of mine that plays an absolutely disgusting condi rev who consistently wins outnumbered into verifiably decent players and probably pushed about a 70% WR into him which I can't do on anything else I main. Even things like power daredevil die quick to it as well. Definitely has a really weird playstyle though and I think that trips most people up because unless you kind of solve that puzzle before playing it, the build will in fact suck :P

@ZDragon.3046 said:

@"Helly.2597" said:At the risk of necroing; here is a new video.

You continue to impress me with your reaper content and its not flooded with balance talk. Its very entertaining to watch.Grieving stats on reaper correct?

Thanks I appreciate it. The build link there should be correct (I believe should be all grieving but technically I'm 2 cele pieces of jewelry because I'm lazy).

Archived