Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

ArmoredVehicle.2849ArmoredVehicle.2849 Member ✭✭
edited October 16, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Hello Linux Gamers,

This package aims to provide an easy way to play Guild Wars 2 on Linux without having you jump through hoops. It's completely portable and it comes with many performance tweaks ready for use.

Technical Details:

This version of Wine has been built from the Lutris Github Repo using a Debian 9 base package and has also been tested to work on Ubuntu 16.04 (and derivatives such as Mint) as well as Ubuntu 18.04, it may also work on other distros. Please be aware that this package doesn't come with any libraries and it may require you to install several libraries (most commonly 32bit ones) so if you're trying to launch the game and it's crashing please run the game in a terminal by using the 'debug.sh' file and post the log in this thread.

Setting up is straightforward:

• Unzip the package to your desired folder
  • In a terminal window run "./setup.sh" (it has easy built in guides)**
  • When setup is done, run the "play.sh" file and you're done

**If you're already playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux, let the setup finish normally, at the end there's a guide explaining how to move your existing client into the new version.

Below I've uploaded a picture with settings for a good balance between good performance and visuals, you could use this as a base and tweak to your heart's content:

4th June 2018 Update - (Version 1.1)

Changelog:

• Now using Wine Staging 3.7 + PBA patches (first release was based on 2.21 Staging)
  • For Nvidia users, the setup script will now create a folder in "/home/your_user/.local/share/gw2_cache" to save shader cache exclusively for GW2. As I explained a few days ago, this is much better than using the shared cache folder which is used by all games.
  • 2nd Tweak for Nvidia users - Nvidia is working on a new Shader Compiler in their new drivers which currently causes some issues with a few games, for safety and stability I've set GW2 to always use the old one.

28th June 2018 Update - (Version 1.2)

Changelog:

• New separate package for Intel/AMD users. I'm providing 2 packages so it's a little easier to get up and running regardless of which GPU you're using.
  • GLSL enabled by default for Intel/AMD users. If you're running any of these 2 GPU types you no longer have to fiddle with the Wine registry to re-enable it.
  • On-Disk Shader Cache always enabled for Intel users running Mesa 18.0. By default this feature is disabled in Mesa 18.0, I've set the GW2 launch script to always override the setting and enable it for this game.
  • A new "debug mode" launcher. By default the game (and Wine) will not output any errors in terminal, this is done to avoid any performance loss due to the amount of text printed. However should the game refuse to run (typically due to missing libraries), now you can run the provided "debug.sh" file (in terminal) which will output all errors and makes it easier to identify the cause.

14th September 2018 Update - (Version 1.3)

Changelog:

• Wine is now at v3.15 and makes use of the 'esync' features for improved performance. (Thanks goes to xylef.8307 for sharing the information.)
  • Reorganized some of the launch script contents for easier understanding.
  • Modifying the Wine Registry settings can now be done by launching the 'wine_regedit.sh' file.
  • The game's '-maploadinfo' launch parameter is now enabled by default.
  • Added a switch to enable 'mesa_glthread' (Threaded OpenGL) for Intel/AMD Mesa users, this option can be found in the "bin/user_run" file, remove the # symbol to enable it. I haven't tested this feature much but it may improve performance for some.

13th October 2018 Update - (Version 1.4)

Changelog:

• Removed the "include" folder which contained Wine files for development purposes, has no effect with how Wine works or the game itself. They were just sitting there taking 32MB of HDD space.
  • For Intel/AMD users, the "mesa_glthread" environment variable is now enabled by default.
  • Added Core Fonts: From what I noticed both the Launcher and Trading Post make use of these, they should provide better out of the box support and compatibility across distros.

Download Links:

Troubleshooting:

When using v1.3 (or newer), if the game is crashing right after character select, chances are that your system's maximum open file limit is too low. In order to fix this, open "/etc/security/limits.conf" in a text editor (must be ran as sudo) and the edit the hard + soft lines as shown in the pic below:
When you're done save the file and reboot your system.

Alternative solution - If the above doesn't work, don't revert those changes, instead try this:

• (with sudo) Open up '/etc/systemd/system.conf' and '/etc/systemd/user.conf' in a text editor.
  • Find the line named #DefaultLimitNOFILE= and change it to DefaultLimitNOFILE=1048576 (Both files have this entry).
  • Reboot.

To verify if your changes have been applied successfully in terminal run ulimit -Hn and ulimit -Sn if they both print '1048576' then you should be good to go.

Depending on the configuration of some distros, solution 2 may take precedence over the settings from solution 1.

<134567

Comments

• jbrother.1340jbrother.1340 Member ✭✭✭

I have been running GW2 in linux for a couple years now and must just be lucky to have the right set of older gear.

I get good performance on an old phenom II deneb. I don't get giant FPS but I don't expect to either. I get around 30 most places and that is fine. I have no issue with the parts of the game that I play.

Although doric leather farm is like a slide show for me if I go there and 50 people are there :) Somehow I still can farm it lol.

• The wine-pba patches make much better use of the CPU, GPU and even memory. In some cases you won't get a higher fps, instead your framerate will remain smooth and not plummit from 30 to 3 at the sign of action, that was something that really bothered me but now it's history.

Tonight I've played in the new area (and PoF in general) the game was pulling a smooth average of 40-48 fps, which is pretty good considering the expansion maps are a bit more demanding and lots of players are checking out the new area.

• dixi.1483dixi.1483 Member ✭✭
    edited March 7, 2018

I have to confirm that these patches do bring performance boosts.
    It is noticeable on my T430 with an i5-3632QM and HD4000 at 1920x1080. Frame rate is much more stable and somewhat higher. I have only tested it in low-intensive areas now, but I will do more testing as time goes by. I will try it on an X230 as well.

edited March 7, 2018

I will also use this thread to plug our guild for users of unix-like operating systems - [unix] Penguins And The Like.
    I thought it would be nice if players had an active channel to ask for help with Guild Wars 2 on linux. If you wish to join, let me know and I will send you an invite.

• well, I am using d3d9 patched wine for some time on amd hardware. And with the exception of wvw performance is mostly fine.

@dixi.1483 said:
    I have to confirm that these patches do bring performance boosts.
    It is noticeable on my T430 with an i5-3632QM and HD4000 at 1920x1080. Frame rate is much more stable and somewhat higher. I have only tested it in low-intensive areas now, but I will do more testing as time goes by. I will try it on an X230 as well.

x230 so tiny. I would go blind playing on that.

It runs great on T460p. We have tons of them at work and I "borrowed" one and tested and it runs pretty well overall.

• Just to keep you people up to date. This project moves slow by nature, sometimes new Wine versions and patches cause regressions, making the game worse, so no update doesn't mean the project is dead :-)

Today I gave a test run with Wine 3.3 + Staging + PBA, the performance was slower than the current build based on Wine 2.21.

edited March 9, 2018

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:
    Today I gave a test run with Wine 3.3 + Staging + PBA, the performance was slower than the current build based on Wine 2.21.

I have tested wine-2.21 on both T430 and X230. Performance increase is very very noticeable. We are able to play PvP without the game freezing for a few seconds and we do not get average of 20fps anymore. My T430 can sit around 40-50fps (small fights) on minimal settings with native sampling at 1920x1080. Interestingly, lowering the resolution does not increase performance at all. Should I build and test the new version as well?

• ArmoredVehicle.2849ArmoredVehicle.2849 Member ✭✭
    edited March 9, 2018

@dixi.1483 said:

I have tested wine-2.21 on both T430 and X230. Performance increase is very very noticeable. We are able to play PvP without the game freezing for a few seconds and we do not get average of 20fps anymore. My T430 can sit around 40-50fps (small fights) on minimal settings with native sampling at 1920x1080. Interestingly, lowering the resolution does not increase performance at all. Should I build and test the new version as well?

If you can build and test it that would be great, can you give me your full specs on that T430 + Which version of Mesa are you running? 40+ fps is already more than I'm getting on my own laptop. :D

• My setup right now is a Linux Mint 18 box, running Ryzen 7 1700 (overclocked mildly to 3.6 with 3200 memory). I am running Guild Wars 2 through Lutris --- thought i would try that out instead of PlayOnLinux.
    i tried both the pba-2.21 and pba-3.3 versions. In PvE content, i did not have as large a FPS rate as i did with the staging-2.0 (although now staging-2.0 is suspect to time-outs and crashes for me). I did not test pba-3-3 in WvW yet. I did test pba-2.21 and did see very good results in WvW. Though my fps hovered around 20-30, i did not experience any extreme lag in very large zerg fights (although i did stay at range to minimize that). My settings were probably much higher than the OP used (antialiasing set to High FX, Character Model Limit set to medium at last test). Ran well in small scale fighting with no issues whatsoever. I will try the pba-3.3 hopefully this weekend and report my findings.

@dixi.1483 said:

How old is the T430 you are using? I can get these things dirt cheap and my current laptop is suck and plays it bad.

How much ram are you using, is it maxed out?

What distro are you running on it? I am just curious.

@ladydemoriel.4658 said:
    My setup right now is a Linux Mint 18 box, running Ryzen 7 1700 (overclocked mildly to 3.6 with 3200 memory). I am running Guild Wars 2 through Lutris --- thought i would try that out instead of PlayOnLinux.
    i tried both the pba-2.21 and pba-3.3 versions. In PvE content, i did not have as large a FPS rate as i did with the staging-2.0 (although now staging-2.0 is suspect to time-outs and crashes for me). I did not test pba-3-3 in WvW yet. I did test pba-2.21 and did see very good results in WvW. Though my fps hovered around 20-30, i did not experience any extreme lag in very large zerg fights (although i did stay at range to minimize that). My settings were probably much higher than the OP used (antialiasing set to High FX, Character Model Limit set to medium at last test). Ran well in small scale fighting with no issues whatsoever. I will try the pba-3.3 hopefully this weekend and report my findings.

I found I had issues with Lutris when testing the various ways to get windows stuff going in linux. I found that I had the same performance using straight wine cli style and PlayOnLinux. Granted my performance is not great overall as I am playing on some fairly old PC parts here but it works. It actually works equal to my tests with windows 7 on this same hardware and overall I would say "better" because I would rather have someone slapping my face with a dead fish than use windows.

• Blackbeard.4356Blackbeard.4356 Member
    edited March 10, 2018

I'm currently on KDE Neon LTS 5.12
    Using Lutris for playing Gw2. I found Lutris to be awesome because you can easily menage wine version without installing wine to your PC ( it all happens inside of Lutris ).
    I've been paying Gw2 on wine-pba-2.21 with "-dx9single" argument from wine. ( without -dx9single argument, there is 10+ seconds more loading time ).
    I've got better fps in group events and smoother experience in game which is why I play the game even more now :astonished:
    PC specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1300x ( 4 cores ) 3.5 Ghz with 8Gb of RAM
    GPU: Gainward GeForce® GTX 650 with 1024Mb GDDR5 memory
    SSD: Kingston 120Gb

I've tried new release of wine-pba-3.3 but it's not as good as 2.21 one.

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2018

Seems like a waste to buy good hardware just to play the game on Linux at garbage settings

On Windows a 10 year old GPU will play the game at better settings

First person to reach 35,000 and 36,000 AP.
    killproof.me/proof/kEyr

edited March 10, 2018

@jbrother.1340 said:
    How old is the T430 you are using? I can get these things dirt cheap and my current laptop is suck and plays it bad.

The xx30 series has been produced around 2012 I think. I actually have two of them, one of which has a quad core CPU (i7-3632QM) and other has stock i5-3320M. I also have an i5-3360M to test with, but there is not much difference between them. One of them has Coreboot flashed with Intel Management Engine disabled. I have a Full HD modification as well as the classic keyboard mod. It makes the most useful machine you can get today, in my opinion.

The game runs perfectly well on both machines, modded and stock.

How much ram are you using, is it maxed out?

8GB. Theoretical maximum is 16GB as far as I know.

What distro are you running on it? I am just curious.

I am currently using ArchLinux.

• @Malediktus.9250 said:
    Seems like a waste to buy good hardware just to play the game on Linux at garbage settings

On Windows a 10 year old GPU will play the game at better settings

I bought a few new things for my PC just so I can keep with technology and to be in peace for a next 5 years.
    Comparing Linux and Windows for gaming doesn't really make sense because games will mostly always run better on Windows for that matter.
    As a daily PC user, it makes no sense for me to use Windows just so I can play 1 game that I own and play in my free time.
    P.S. don't be afraid of terminal , it doesn't bite :smirk:

Why not just use multiboot then if you like Linux so much? Surely as a daily PC user that would make a lot of sense

killproof.me/proof/kEyr

• @Malediktus.9250 said:
    Why not just use multiboot then if you like Linux so much? Surely as a daily PC user that would make a lot of sense

Multibooting to play a Windows game on Linux is old and not very practical. With KVM/QEMU (A native Linux Virtual Machine) you can install Windows in it and expose your real graphics card (PCI Passthrough) to the VM making games playable at about 95% the performance compared to a fully booted Windows.

edited March 11, 2018

To each their own I guess. But 5% performance is 5% performance. But on the other hand I am a person who disabled Meltdown/Spectre fixes and uses no anti virus because that costs performance :P
    And installing Windows in a VM does not seem that much more practical than multiboot to me. Might as well use Linux in a VM on Windows.

killproof.me/proof/kEyr

• why putting the good system in the vm, just to play a game on a bad system, if you can put the good system on the hardware and the bad system only used for one game in a vm?

And face it, windows is bad. Really, really bad. The only 2 things windows has going for it:
    printing
    games

and printing is only a problem with cheap printers.

So, I enjoy a stable system that I can repair in cases of catastrophic failures (ever had a ssd gone bad? I had. Twice), with noting but echo, sed, cat and cp. I have to support windows machines at work. I don't want that level of stupid on my machine at home.

edited March 12, 2018

@Malediktus.9250 said:
    To each their own I guess. But 5% performance is 5% performance. But on the other hand I am a person who disabled Meltdown/Spectre fixes and uses no anti virus because that costs performance :P
    And installing Windows in a VM does not seem that much more practical than multiboot to me. Might as well use Linux in a VM on Windows.

Yes indeed each his own...

And since it is obvious for your "each" and "own" Linux is not what you want. I wonder then why you bother commenting? Are you trying to derail a thread that has nothing to do with what you want?

Some of us have other reasons to run Linux. My reasons are not gaming. I want to play GW2 though still. I do not and will not use MS products and do not have a need to so that helps me out a lot.

If all I did with a puter was game I would prob have a Windows box and that is all that would happen with it. Seems wasteful.

EDIT:
    I am not sure I am quoting the right user.

edited March 13, 2018

I'd appreciate if this thread doesn't turn into a Windows vs Linux debate. The game was built for Windows so naturally it performs best on it, however thanks to Wine and some recent improvements, Linux users can get very good performance while still using their OS of choice. For the record, I understand how macOS users felt before the release of the new/native client.

Every OS does something better than the other in a sort of way and Linux users are gamers too :-)

If it's any indication this site says a lot: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/

I'd appreciate if this thread doesn't turn into a Windows vs Linux debate. The game was built for Windows so naturally it performs best on it, however thanks to Wine and some recent improvements, Linux users can get very good performance while still using their OS of choice. For the record, I understand how macOS users felt before the release of the new/native client.

Every OS does something better than the other in a sort of way and Linux users are gamers too :-)

If it's any indication this site says a lot: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/

I don't want that either and will refrain from further comments that lead to that road.

I will however not capitulate to people trying to use their opinions as fact. I won't do that and I won't accept it from others.

there are reasons I am doing what I am doing and I could care less what others think of that.

This thread is helpful to people and info about this is more important than my opinions or anyone's about their preference in OS.

None of them really do what I think most people overall would want when they look deeper into the subject. Humans what can you say :)

• I recently built another system, this time with - Intel G4560 / 8GB DDR4 2400MHZ / Nvidia GT 1030.

I must say GW2 runs very well for such a budget CPU+GPU build. Performance wise is mostly in the 40-60 FPS mark (1080p), where with events such as Tequatl it dips to 17-21 but remains smooth (no stutters). In PoF and HoT maps it also performs quite well although fps can be a bit lower than core areas.

Although I'm happy with the results, I would suggest those looking into a budget build to get the Ryzen 3 2200G, the extra cores will offer smoother gameplay and it doesn't cost much more than the G4560. As for the rest of the GPU, I chose the GT 1030 because of its' low price and low power draw.

• Elva.6372Elva.6372 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2018

I want to thank you for posting this, I was having some real issues with GW2 on my new Ubuntu Mate install, this got me turned in the right direction and also prompted me to double check/revisit some setting I had changed in my nVidia configuration. (Triple-Buffering seemed like a good idea at the time, lol) My nVidia config wasn't playing well with the PBA patched Wine.

I am using Lutris' Wine 3.3 PBA atm, I initially used your linked Wine PBA as well with equally good results.

https://lutris.net/files/runners/

• wine-pba-2.21-x86_64.tar.gz 06-Mar-2018 19:41
    • wine-pba-3.3-x86_64.tar.gz 07-Mar-2018 02:42

My system:
    Intel Core i5 2400 (3.10)
    Nvidia GT730 2GB/DDR5
    8 GB DDR3
    250GB SATA
    PSU Stock Dell 265 Watt

My FPS is far more consistent now and stays above 20 even in WvW runs and big PvE Events. I run at high settings, shadows low, reflections off.

Remembrance, fallen from heaven, and madness risen from hell...

• btw, put the cpu in performance mode. It adds 6-10 fps on my setup.... putting the gpu in high mode also adds a couple. It all adds up....
    Ryzen 5 1600X
    RX 470
    wine 2.21 with d3d9 enabled
    commandline:
    STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1 WINEDEBUG="-all" csmt_force=1 wine-any-2.21 Gw2-64.exe -maploadinfo -dx9single

So, as I am apt to always pursue the ever dangling carrot of performance, I recently installed the latest Wine Development Version 3.5 that has "more Vulkan support, including the vulkan-1 loader". Now, I lack information as to how to really use this in regards to Vulkan. I enabled the vulkan-1 override in my Wine Config, but am uncertain about what else if anything I need to do in addition. I'll continue pecking away at the learning curve, I'm suspecting I need something for the vulkan-1 loader to "load".

• Solvar.7953Solvar.7953 Member ✭✭✭

I suspect for GW2, Vulkan support will make new difference, since I don't think the game has been programmed to use it. I believe it would only make a difference for games that use Vulkan, in that wine could do those calls natively and be faster, where as if wine did not have Vulkan support, those games would end up user and older API (DX, openGL).
    Its possible that wine would translate some DX calls into Vulkan calls to make things go faster, but depending on what it is translating, the cost of translation between the APIs may be more than any advantage gained by using Vulkan.

edited April 4, 2018

@Elva.6372 said:

I want to thank you for posting this, I was having some real issues with GW2 on my new Ubuntu Mate install, this got me turned in the right direction and also prompted me to double check/revisit some setting I had changed in my nVidia configuration. (Triple-Buffering seemed like a good idea at the time, lol) My nVidia config wasn't playing well with the PBA patched Wine.

Thanks for the detailed report, admittedly I haven't tested the game on 3.x PBA series, glad to hear it still runs the game just as fast (maybe I'll finally get the git repo up to speed). Good old i5-2400 is still rocking to this day I see :smile: I have a system with one too, but since it's running Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04 based) I couldn't include it in my tests (Wine built on Debian 9 is too modern for Mint 17).

@Solvar.7953 said:
    I suspect for GW2, Vulkan support will make new difference, since I don't think the game has been programmed to use it. I believe it would only make a difference for games that use Vulkan, in that wine could do those calls natively and be faster, where as if wine did not have Vulkan support, those games would end up user and older API (DX, openGL).
    Its possible that wine would translate some DX calls into Vulkan calls to make things go faster, but depending on what it is translating, the cost of translation between the APIs may be more than any advantage gained by using Vulkan.

As it currently stands, Wine 3.5 has a built in Vulkan loader and with the aid of 'dxvk' (https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk) you can play many DX11 games at very good performance (dxvk is only for DX11). One impressive video I just found out about is of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

As for GW2, it cannot benefit from Vulkan yet, the only known DX9 to Vulkan project is called VK9 and it's still in early stages (https://github.com/disks86/VK9).

For the moment I'm happy with Wine-PBA, GW2 is super stable on every system I tried it on and the framerate is very smooth.

• I'm trying this out but I'm getting abysmal performance. We're talking 1-10 FPS at lowest graphics. The game is still downloading though but I'm unsure how this would affect performance this badly. What information would you need to help me out? I really want to play on Linux because my Windows partition is currently basically all GW2.

@draconicrose.6213 said:
    I'm trying this out but I'm getting abysmal performance. We're talking 1-10 FPS at lowest graphics. The game is still downloading though but I'm unsure how this would affect performance this badly. What information would you need to help me out? I really want to play on Linux because my Windows partition is currently basically all GW2.

Well, best to have client fully downloaded to be sure what is causing stuttering or fps loss.

But, also, I have noticed that there can be some really poor FPS initially while the shader cache is being built...this would clear up after some time and only crop up again if you zoned into a new area of the game with different shader demands or updated GPU related files.

Additionally, some graphic settings are just horrible for good frames. Namely reflections and shadows if they are set too high. (mileage may vary)

PBA 2.21 worked well but I did occasionally get corrupted graphics that only happened with the PBA stuff.

So I tried 3.3+ PBA and it was horrible FPS even after giving it some time to even out.

I am currently using Wine-Staging 3.5 on my Ubuntu Mate and having no issues, and my frames are more than playable across all game modes for me.

Now my standards aren't too high -playable for me is anything over 20 FPS, anything less and I notice it. so as long as I can consistently have over 20 FPS I am happy. HOT maps are my bench-test for the 20 FPS standard...

Stats:
    GW2 64bit
    using switches: -autologin -cuda
    GLSL disabled
    ENV Variables:
    __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK = 0

Registry:
    csmt enabled

• I'll try to get the client fully downloaded, then, and try again.

• STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1 WINEDEBUG="-all" csmt_force=1 wine-any-2.21 Gw2-64.exe -maploadinfo -dx9single

with gpu set to high and cpu set to performance gives decent performance in all modes.

In wvw and during bigger events, like TT or Dragon Stand, Model Count and High Quality Models should be set to 'lowest'. AA turned off. The rest really does not have any real impact (for me).

a) not using pba
    b) using d3d9.

• @draconicrose.6213 said:
    I'm trying this out but I'm getting abysmal performance. We're talking 1-10 FPS at lowest graphics. The game is still downloading though but I'm unsure how this would affect performance this badly. What information would you need to help me out? I really want to play on Linux because my Windows partition is currently basically all GW2.

Some hardware details would be a good start. the 2 important ones are: CPU, GPU type (AMD/Nvidia) and driver version.

• I tried different Wine configurations in the past but I always had low, unstable FPS. I have changed my graphics card to an R9 290 and the problem continues. Changing the graphic options have a lot less of impact than expected on framerate, so I suppose it is a problem with FX8350 not being a CPU for this game on Wine. Any thoughts ?

• GW2 is heavily cpu bound. It is an old design, not really suited for todays multicore cpu's. That is why model count has the highest impact - it is cpu bound.

edited May 7, 2018

I wonder if anyone with more experience has an idea here.

I am by no means a Linux expert and could use other thoughts.

A friend loaned me his lenovo y520 with hybrid GPU in it. It has an radeon rx560 along with the intel i7700hq. I wanted to test it to see how it would run with linux and gw2.

I have only tried so far with playonlinux to see if it would work well. I am not sure what expectation I should have in fps and performance at what settings with this laptop. I am using opensuse tumblweed on it right now as I am more use to that than other distro's.

I am not getting great performance and am not sure I have the rx560 actually running the game. I have read some forums and been messing with the DRI_PRIME=1 command but am not sure I am using it correctly.

I used this command in the POL console:
    POL_Config_Write BEFORE_WINE 'env DRI_PRIME=1 mesa_glthread=true'

I have no clue if that activates the card correctly when executing gw2 from in POL? Any thoughts? Is there a way to check which GPU is running gw2? Is there a better method to get what I want here? Should I be using the amdgpu-pro driver?

thanks for any advice.

• ok, make sure you are using the amd graphics, not the intel one.
    first make sure your environment includes this: R600_DEBUG='sbcl hyperz llvms sisched forcedma'
    second, for decend radeon performance use this:
    echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
    (card1 if that is your amd gpu)
    third, make sure your wine version includes d3d9 and staging.
    fourth enable d3d9 in wineconfig
    fifth run this command to start the game:
    STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1 WINEDEBUG="-all" csmt_force=1 wine-any-2.21 Gw2-64.exe -maploadinfo -dx9single
    replace wine-any-2.21 with the wine version you run.
    it also helps to put the cpu in performance mode. Up to 20%fps increase can be found just there.

• hey all -- strange issue i encountered on my Linux Mint 18.3, Ryzen 7 (3200Mhz, 3.6 overclock). I updated to the latest Ryzen bios (version G) and -- while possibly unrelated -- i can no longer see a login screen for Guild Wars. Literally a blank image background with no form elements at all (buttons, form elements, etc). Very strange. Anyone ever encounter something like this before ?

• yes, has nothing to do with the cpu tho.

what might help you there is to change the wineconfig setting to 'desktop'. So the app runs in its own desktop like window.

<134567
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.