Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more. - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

Comments

• 100% Tatwi. I've an old laptop, which I cannot afford to replace at the moment (probably for some time). Unfortunately, driver-wise, it has also been badly supported - just shy of a year after I purchased it, they stopped releasing drivers and it's been plagued with display errors, which initially I thought was an over-heating problem. Got to say, I've not been impressed. But it's way past time since I should have been getting to know Linux a lot better and I can't think of a better way than to try and get one of my favorite games to work... sort of, well in a roundabout fashion, I mean hey - it didn't crash once to... bzzzt

• jbrother.1340jbrother.1340 Member ✭✭✭

@Tatwi.3562 said:
    Or... you could dual boot Windows and just play the game. Honestly, even though I have used GNU/Linux as my main OS for well over a decade, when it comes to playing DirectX games, I just use Windows, because it's the right tool for the job. I mean, I can play in Windows at 100% performance without any problems and messing around or I could spend my precious time forcing the game to work with WINE and fixing issue just to get a significantly worse game play experience. It doesn't make sense.
    By all means, if you enjoy getting this work as a hobby, have at'r, but if you just want to "play the game", far and away you're better off using Windows.

Now if ArenaNet made a native Linux OpenGL client, I would be all over that!

Sincerely,
    GNU/Linux Open Source Developer

If you just want to "play" the game chances are you don't want to deal with Linux at all and just want stuff to work without thinking about it or learning about something new in relation to computer science. There is nothing at all wrong with that.

It does make sense to others though even if it does not make sense to you.

I don't use Linux or run apps in it for a "hobby". I don't do it because I have to. I do it because it makes sense to me.

I really would love a native client but they are not going to do it. I really don't want MS on my PC gear. Really really don't. This is the option that makes the most sense to me.

I think this thread is a great place to come get help and everyone posting has been really helpful. Thank you for being respectful however, I think I might have gotten into arguments in my life over ones desire pro and con in Linux topics so I like the civility. This is not a criticism of your opinion please do not take it like that if you are. Just another view point.

For others:

Don't let the sentiment it "doesn't make sense" stop you from trying to run this in Linux. It for the most part actually runs pretty good once you sort it out a bit and if you are already using Linux chances are you don't mind sorting stuff out :)

• Tatwi.3562Tatwi.3562 Member ✭✭
    edited August 27, 2018

@jbrother.1340 said:

@Tatwi.3562 said:
    Or... you could dual boot Windows and just play the game. Honestly, even though I have used GNU/Linux as my main OS for well over a decade, when it comes to playing DirectX games, I just use Windows, because it's the right tool for the job. I mean, I can play in Windows at 100% performance without any problems and messing around or I could spend my precious time forcing the game to work with WINE and fixing issue just to get a significantly worse game play experience. It doesn't make sense.
    By all means, if you enjoy getting this work as a hobby, have at'r, but if you just want to "play the game", far and away you're better off using Windows.

Sincerely,
    GNU/Linux Open Source Developer

If you just want to "play" the game chances are you don't want to deal with Linux at all and just want stuff to work without thinking about it or learning about something new in relation to computer science.

Yeah, sure, whatever you say lol...
    https://github.com/Tatwi
    https://semi-nerdly.ca/

I just thought I would come back and add that I find it disappointing that there are so many people on this forum who will trot out passive-aggressive personal attacks, such as yours, in the hopes that such attacks will invalidate other people's contributions. It's extremely sad behavior.

I came here and provided my personal experience and recommendation on running this game (and many other DirectX games) in Linux, because I would hate for the negative experience of running GW2 in Linux to put someone off the game. If all a person really wants to do is play the game, then it works perfectly fine in Windows 7/8/10 on both PC and x86 based Mac hardware and that's how they should play the game. In fact, that's how the game is supposed to be played. And, there is absolutely nothing wrong with me saying so.

• well, it is kind of wrong. Because people in this thread really want to play this game, without the hassle of installing windows, or running windows.

My machines have been windows free for almost 20 years. I do not want to change that.

edited August 28, 2018

@VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    well, it is kind of wrong. Because people in this thread really want to play this game, without the hassle of installing windows, or running windows.

My machines have been windows free for almost 20 years. I do not want to change that.

Hence the very reason a thread like this is valuable for those that feel like you.

and for anyone else that agrees with your sentiment like myself.

It is not such a great thread for those that think the answer to this is always "just use windows..."

• @ArmoredVehicle.2849
    Right I went through the thread and I ended up encountering same errors as user @dieterengelhardt.8759. Added all the packages and when I use play.sh client get launched, I get it's serious error and in terminal I get the following output:

000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 3.7 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
    000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
    0009:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
    0009:fixme:kerberos:kerberos_SpInstanceInit 65536,0x7fdcc0fb67a0,(nil): stub
    0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x10000 0 0x23fd00 4 stub
    0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x360000 0 0x23fce0 4 stub
    0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x360000 1 (nil) 0 stub
    002e:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0xc1fdd0 (nil)): stub
    002f:fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0xd2fdd0): stub
    002e:fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0xc1fdd0): stub
    ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
    ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
    0032:fixme:d3d_perf:wined3d_buffer_heap_create PBA: using GL_CLIENT_STORAGE_BIT quirkPBA: using GL_CLIENT_STORAGE_BIT quirkInitialized PBA (geo_heap_size: 536870912, cb_heap_size: 134217728, ub_align: 16)
    0009:fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x1303390, L"C:\GW2\GW2.exe", 0x23f170)
    003d:fixme:msctf:ThreadMgrSource_AdviseSink (0x144a950) Unhandled Sink: {ea1ea136-19df-11d7-a6d2-00065b84435c}
    003d:fixme:imm:ImmDisableTextFrameService Stub
    003d:fixme:d3d9:D3DPERF_GetStatus (void) : stub
    003d:fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationJobObject stub: 0x218 2 0x255dbb0 64 (nil)
    003d:fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationJobObject stub: 0x218 9 0x255dbf0 144 (nil)
    0044:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"wininet.dll": libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    0044:err:module:import_dll Loading library wininet.dll (which is needed by L"C:\windows\system32\urlmon.dll") failed (error c000007a).
    0044:err:module:import_dll Library urlmon.dll (which is needed by L"C:\GW2\bin64\CoherentUI_Host.exe") not found
    0044:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\GW2\bin64\CoherentUI_Host.exe" failed, status c0000135
    003d:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION

I am running Linux Mint 18.3 Xcfe on X230. I would greatly appreciate any help, just be gentle with me as I am a Linux newb. Thanks in advance!

• ArmoredVehicle.2849ArmoredVehicle.2849 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018

@Dirtydeal.1032 said:
    0044:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"wininet.dll": libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hi :-)

This line indicates that the zlib1g package is not installed in your system, I forgot if the game requires the 64 or 32 bit version but it doesn't hurt to install them both (it's safe and some other 32bit programs/games may require it anyway at some point).

If you search for zlib1g in your package manager it should show up easily. Post the next log if the game still doesn't run.

@Tatwi.3562 said:

>
    Much as I'd like that, I'd be happy even if they'd just expose the OpenGL renderer (which they already have) to the Windows version. I can't tell if it would perform better or worse than the DirectX one and doing so they would be supporting Linux indirectly.

For comparison, I'm picturing this in a similar fashion to modern id Software games (Wolfenstein / Doom 2016), these games use OpenGL and Vulkan and performance with Wine is on par as if ran under native Windows. 2 Birds with 1 stone as they say.

• @ArmoredVehicle.2849

Hi pal, I had it installed and I reinstalled it just in case, yet the error message is still present.

0043:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"wininet.dll": libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You mentioned 32 and 64 bit versions, and me being a linux newb, I dont really understand where can I download the other. Package manager displays the zlib1g without specifying 32/64 and that is the one I install if there is a way to differentiate and install the other let me know.

So yea, shout if you have any ideas how to solve this. :)

• Dirtydeal.1032Dirtydeal.1032 Member ✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018

Hey its me again...

Right ignore the previous post. I installed lib32z1 and it went further. Now i get the same client error as usual, but the terminal give mes following:

lines and lines and lines of this

wine client error:73: write: Bad file descriptor
    libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work
    0073:err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.
    0073:err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.
    003d:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION

I see that libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for whatever reason, but I cant seem to find the specific package to install. There are many that start with libgcc... any help?

EDIT: libgcc1 and libgcc-5-dev are already installed

• Hey its me again...

Right ignore the previous post. I installed lib32z1 and it went further. Now i get the same client error as usual, but the terminal give mes following:

lines and lines and lines of this

I see that libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for whatever reason, but I cant seem to find the specific package to install. There are many that start with libgcc... any help?

EDIT: libgcc1 and libgcc-5-dev are already installed
    EDIT2: this beautiful line fixes it - apt-get install lib32gcc1, no errors but i am stuck on the login screen with no login text boxes, now usage CPU usage goes up and makes screen almost freeze, everything is superslow.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/19c5r7AP3EBfX9-Nvivp3B1WX_13UzV1j/view?usp=sharing

• start the game with the option to give username, passwort and autologin. This fixes all the 'login screen is not loading' problems.

• @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    start the game with the option to give username, passwort and autologin. This fixes all the 'login screen is not loading' problems.

that is a great idea, how does one do that?

• VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments
    use:
    -autologin
    -dx9single
    -mapLoadinfo (makes map loading actually faster)
    -email YOURMAIL
    -password YOUR PASSWORD

and you are done

• trixantea.1230trixantea.1230 Member ✭✭✭

Which linux version do you people recommend for gaming?
    Does linux support Nvidia drivers without any issues?

• ah linux version?

I am using kernel 4.16.. but depending on your distribution and your... willingness to be adventurous, that can be anything between 3.X and 4.18.

the nvidia drivers are usually hassle free. So are the amd drivers. The intel drivers are the special kid.

edited September 1, 2018

Hey, glad you got further. I noticed something about freetype.org in that terminal screenshot, could you please post a longer log? I'm suspecting a missing font package may be at play here since you have missing text. In regards where to add the command line parameters, go into the bin folder and open up "user_run" in a text editor and at the last line where it reads:

"../../../bin/wine64" ./GW2.exe -dx9single & disown
    add to it:
    "../../../bin/wine64" ./GW2.exe -dx9single -nopatchui -email [email protected] -password yourpassword & disown

This will skip the login screen entirely. Be aware that with this method if your game is downloading an update or lots of files, the game's window might take a while to appear.

the nvidia drivers are usually hassle free. So are the amd drivers. The intel drivers are the special kid.

I've actually had very good performance with Intel HD using a desktop i3-7100 CPU / 8GB Ram and Xubuntu 18.04 (Mesa 18.0), the game works surprisingly well considering the GPU's limited capabilities.

@trixantea.1230 said:
    Which linux version do you people recommend for gaming?
    Does linux support Nvidia drivers without any issues?

By version you probably mean distro. As a Linux newcomer I suggest Mint which is very polished/stable and works very well for gaming. Nvidia is supported and performs very well under Linux. They are giving somewhat more attention to Linux.

I run 4 PC's with different Nvidia GPU's and have 0 issues with them.

• actually, nvidia got the finger from Linus because they are so bad. No documentation, strange bugs, abysmal behaviour.

But their closed source drivers do work well.

• tccummings.4176tccummings.4176 Member
    edited September 1, 2018

Ok, so I have a weird situation. I have a Windows laptop that is dual boot Win 10/Unbuntu 18.04 and GW2 runs on both boots very well....following these steps for Linux. Then I have a 2011 27 inch iMac that is dual boot Mac OS /Ubuntu 18.04(same as the laptop) that runs GW2 a little better than the laptop since the laptop has lower specs. The weird thing is I followed these steps to install GW2 on the Linux boot of my Mac, it brings my mac grinding to a halt.....almost. It will accept input from the keyboard or mouse about ever 10 seconds or so. This behavior starts when the client loads and begins downloading the initial content of the game. It gets down to about 30 files left to download and then progress stops. When I kill the client because it isn't responding anymore and then run ./play.sh, it never loads all the way to the character selection screen without locking up the system. So I decided to try ./debug.sh to see if I could tell what was happening. The first time I ran ./debug.sh, it loaded all the way to the character selection and I logged in to a character and decided to set the graphics options like the screenshot here. I then exited to desktop and ran ./debug.sh again.....nothing! Locked up the system again and has never loaded the client past the login screen since. Anyone else have this happening? I get the account login screen each time, but when I click Play, it locks up my system. I even pulled up the system resource app to watch the CPU and memory. The CPU's take a good hit....up to about 61% on the first core (i5), but never maxed out and I have 12 GB RAM and it's not being maxed either so I'm not sure why this is killing me so bad. As things stand right now, everything is fully installed and downloaded but after the GW2 "Initializing Screen" pops up and then goes away, the system is locking up before I get the login screen. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Ok, so this is even more weird.... I can now get it to completely get passed the Initializing screen and to the login screen and then start the game and play.....But.....I have to keep my mouse moving when I start it up. Like as soon as I type ./play.sh and hit enter, I keep my mouse moving (just in circles really) and the game will start up. If I lean back in my chair and dont touch anything, it locks the whole system up and I have to hard restart it. What kind of witchcraft is this??! I have tested this several times and each time it starts if I move the mouse and locks the system if I dont.

• Hi All,
    Great Idea OP, and thank you.
    I was wondering if anyone else was getting the following messages when running GW on AMD Graphics hardware. I've a R7 240, and R7 200 in my machine, the 240, is used to run the principle monitor, the other to run two additional monitors.
    radeon: The kernel rejected CS, see dmesg for more information (-22)
    the dmesg is then:
    [24754.987273] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Packet0 not allowed!

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04, Kernel: 4.15.0-33.36. Other key Hardware: processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8, 16gb ram.
    GW2 still runs, just the message is a little concerning. I switched to this from a lutris install, as that kept, white out-ing and freezing my system.

• Great work, thank you!

Anyone has any idea what could be the reason for getting 15-20 FPS regardless of any graphical setting or player density?

Spec: 1080Ti with nvidia drivers, 1950x, Fedora 28 4.17

edited September 3, 2018

@Slawo.1792 said:
    Great work, thank you!

Anyone has any idea what could be the reason for getting 15-20 FPS regardless of any graphical setting or player density?

If it isn't already set that way: You could try to run on an X.org session instead of Wayland.

• Having tried it again tonight, I have the dreaded white screens of snow are back again! I tried running debug.sh, but it doesn't seem to write a log file anywhere i could find, and as the only way to get rid of the white screen of snow is to hard reboot the pc, I can't copy the terminal details. I'm moderatly sure that the graphics card is good, as the kitten thing works fine in Windoze, but I hate rebooting to win10 out of linux, as it's so kitten slow to load.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 or anyone else, any suggestions or data that's needed to help debug this issue? The screen goes black briefly then turns to white snow, and the entire PC hangs.

Help, I want to abandon windows properly... :D

• @ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@Slawo.1792 said:
    Great work, thank you!

If it isn't already set that way: You could try to run on an X.org session instead of Wayland.

also CPU is more important than GPU actually.

Try putting the CPU in performance mode.

• @Arctellion.6419 said:
    Hi All,
    Great Idea OP, and thank you.
    I was wondering if anyone else was getting the following messages when running GW on AMD Graphics hardware. I've a R7 240, and R7 200 in my machine, the 240, is used to run the principle monitor, the other to run two additional monitors.
    radeon: The kernel rejected CS, see dmesg for more information (-22)
    the dmesg is then:
    [24754.987273] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Packet0 not allowed!

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04, Kernel: 4.15.0-33.36. Other key Hardware: processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8, 16gb ram.
    GW2 still runs, just the message is a little concerning. I switched to this from a lutris install, as that kept, white out-ing and freezing my system.

those can be caused by:
    stupid kernel patches
    memory issues
    power management

Try putting the card into 'high' mode. Does the problem go away? Congratz, many people had that.
    If it does not help, try a non-distribution, aka 'vanilla' kernel. Does the problem go away? Congratz, many people are bitten by stupid distri patches.
    If it does not help, try different ram sticks/lower ram clocks. Does the problem go away? Congratz, now you know why many people buy CPUs that support ECC ram and use ECC ram.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@Slawo.1792 said:
    Great work, thank you!

also CPU is more important than GPU actually.

Try putting the CPU in performance mode.

X.org didn't help. Performance mode will probably help some, I just didnt get to it yet, but I expected 30-35 FPS, since I have a 1440p screen.

Maybe its the driver, currently I have 396.45 for steam proton and I saw 396.54 might perform better for games.

• Slawo.1792Slawo.1792 Member
    edited September 4, 2018

After the driver update i have 40-60 FPS with drops to 15-20 in wvw zergs with high settings. This is just ad fishy but who am I to complain : D

Is it possible that this setup is not entirely self contained and when in the meantime I installed lutris and the battlenet dependencies for overwatch something just clicked? I didnt do anything else.

• @Slawo.1792 said:
    After the driver update i have 40-60 FPS with drops to 15-20 in wvw zergs with high settings. This is just ad fishy but who am I to complain : D

Is it possible that this setup is not entirely self contained and when in the meantime I installed lutris and the battlenet dependencies for overwatch something just clicked? I didnt do anything else.

The package has been designed to be fully independent and portable, it doesn't interfere or communicate with other Wine prefixes or Wine packages on your system. The only thing I didn't bundle are the shared libraries . As for the performance, it all depends on which graphics settings you're using. Graphics details such as Shadows and Character Limit + Quality will tank the frame rate much more than Windows.

Currently there isn't much else I can do to improve performance, if the game ever supports DX11 that might move things a bit thanks to DXVK.

• I understand, that's why it was so weird that the graphic settings didn't affect anything.

• Thanks for the package, it worked out of the box on my Archlinux laptop.

Have anyone tried Proton with GW2?

• loseridoit.2756loseridoit.2756 Member ✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018

@Muel.2865 said:
    Massive thanks to ArmoredVehicle.2849! On and off I've been tinkering with GW2/PoL/WINE on Ubuntu for some time, usually resulting in a - at best - handful of FPS at an unplayable resolution. Linux is a challenge, being completely unfamiliar to me, but I am working my way through and learning one step at a time (seriously, this OS is so easy to reinstall ;)).

Thought that I'd take the time to post here, firstly to say thank you for your efforts, but also to report that so far my M17XR4 (PROCESSOR, IVB, I7-3610QM, 2.3/2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7970M) seems to run on average 20+ fps, sometimes higher depending on area, pop etc. I'm launching the script using DRI_PRIME, which has a noticeable effect, so I assume that I am doing it correctly - I can see the difference mainly at character select: with DRI_PRIME, I get 60 fps and without it drops to around 15fps. Can't get that in game, but I assume it's using the AMD (not sure how to tell).

Thank you for all of your hard work putting this together :)

why arent you using gallium nine?
    https://launchpad.net/~commendsarnex/+archive/ubuntu/winedri3
    You need podoka stable and enable gallium nine is MESA

@jbrother.1340
    you too

edited September 7, 2018

@ArmoredVehicle.2849

why are you not suggesting AMD gpu users use gallium nine?
    it is the best option here to play dx9 games.
    https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa
    https://wiki.ixit.cz/d3d9
    your patches are not necessary for gallium nine since it bypasses opengl and uses the d3d9 driver in mesa.

• @loseridoit.2756 said:
    @ArmoredVehicle.2849

why are you not suggesting AMD gpu users use gallium nine?

I wanted to use that for AMD, however there were a few reasons why I didn't do that: I wanted something a bit more straightforward and easier to get working, Next there's the fact that not everyone uses Ubuntu and getting pre-compiled Gallium Nine-enabled drivers may not be as easy.

I'm still open for a G9 build, although not sure when that will come.

• meh... are there really distris that don't enable gallium nine? it doesn't cost anything and it is a nice boost. Nice? Formidable!

• @ArmoredVehicle.2849 It is not that hard. Arch will almost have it in the AUR at least.

Opensuse: https://software.opensuse.org/package/Mesa-libd3d https://software.opensuse.org/package/wine-nine
    Fedora: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/dyskette/wine-gallium-nine/ I believe fedora Mesa might be built on default

@VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 I believe fedora has it in their mesa build only but you will need to enable it in wine.

edited September 8, 2018

@loseridoit.2756 said:

@Muel.2865 said:
    Massive thanks to ArmoredVehicle.2849! On and off I've been tinkering with GW2/PoL/WINE on Ubuntu for some time, usually resulting in a - at best - handful of FPS at an unplayable resolution. Linux is a challenge, being completely unfamiliar to me, but I am working my way through and learning one step at a time (seriously, this OS is so easy to reinstall ;)).

Thought that I'd take the time to post here, firstly to say thank you for your efforts, but also to report that so far my M17XR4 (PROCESSOR, IVB, I7-3610QM, 2.3/2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7970M) seems to run on average 20+ fps, sometimes higher depending on area, pop etc. I'm launching the script using DRI_PRIME, which has a noticeable effect, so I assume that I am doing it correctly - I can see the difference mainly at character select: with DRI_PRIME, I get 60 fps and without it drops to around 15fps. Can't get that in game, but I assume it's using the AMD (not sure how to tell).

Thank you for all of your hard work putting this together :)

why arent you using gallium nine?
    You need podoka stable and enable gallium nine is MESA

@jbrother.1340
    you too

Are you saying why am I not also using gallium nine?

I just want to let you know my Linux knowledge is a work in progress. I am using opensuse tumbleweed for a while now but I am not quite sure what packages to look for to verify what you are asking if that is indeed what you are asking.

I am running gw2 at the moment with armor's package here. I tinkered with other ways in the past and the package he has here runs pretty good for me right now. My hardware on this desktop is getting pretty old so I feel like I am getting decent performance for what it is.

AMD Phenom Black x4 955 (this has been on almost non-stop 24/7 for 8 years it has seen slightly faster days although slightly overclocked)
    Radeon HD 7950
    16Gb of some RAM :)

I get around 20-50 FPS in normal conditions with medium'ish settings for graphics
    I get around lower based on size of event and map lower being anything from 20-5 fps (even at 5 it is still relatively smooth just a bit laggy)

I checked and have it looks like just normal wine-staging installed and a number of Mesa packages including Mesa-gallium

I decided I would at least remove wine and then installed wine-staging-nine instead and now do see the options for gallium in the staging tab when winecfg is running. It has been a while since I ran this straight from wine but am going to play with it and remember how to. I have been spoiled by the other platforms like POL and the work he has put into his package here.

https://wiki.ixit.cz/d3d9

I have been reading the info on the above site but a little confused and willing to experiment. Should I be going about testing gallium a different way?

edited September 8, 2018

@jbrother.1340

the steps are not that complicated

install patched wine
    install patched mesa
    winecfg - enable virtual desktop, windows xp and gallium nine.
    run gw2. preferably the 64 bit one and maybe -d3d9single

i would run it with a console once because the logs tell you if gallium nine is enabled. It should be colored green.

these are the commands.

WINEPREFIX=/path/to/your/gw2/prefix winecfg

DRI_PRIME=1 thread_submit=true WINEPREFIX=/path/to/your/gw2/prefix wine /path/to/gw2/exe  -d3d9single

you can install lutris or write a desktop file to get these commands to work.

I took a look and fork the bomb seems to take up the mesa mantle from pontostroy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/6aj0af/psa_mesa_git_gallium_ninepatched_wine_repository/

https://build.opensuse.org/repositories/home:forkbomb:turboAMD-stable

It seems like you might need to enable DRI3 on a few circumstance with xorg but I always used wayland so I never had to set it.

edit: test d3d9single flag on and off.
    https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Gallium-Nine-Internal-MT
    gallium nine got a multi threaded patch a while ago. I do not know if things got faster or slower since I stop playing.
    edit2: copy paste the phoronix url. this forum just screws it up.
    edit3: you might need thread_submit=true for DRI_PRIME https://xellink.com/2014/11/20/tutorial-on-wine-gallium-9-possibly-doubling-your-framerate/
    https://github.com/iXit/Mesa-3D/commit/839f41763436cd1a438771f50ffa16fa3bbbb3c5
    you might need it or not. I guess it is another flag to test

edited September 8, 2018

@loseridoit.2756 said:
    @jbrother.1340

the steps are not that complicated

install patched wine
    install patched mesa
    winecfg - enable virtual desktop, windows xp and gallium nine.
    run gw2. preferably the 64 bit one and maybe -d3d9single

i would run it with a console once because the logs tell you if gallium nine is enabled. It should be colored green.

these are the commands.

WINEPREFIX=/path/to/your/gw2/prefix winecfg

DRI_PRIME=1 thread_submit=true WINEPREFIX=/path/to/your/gw2/prefix wine /path/to/gw2/exe  -d3d9single

you can install lutris or write a desktop file to get these commands to work.

I took a look and fork the bomb seems to take up the mesa mantle from pontostroy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/6aj0af/psa_mesa_git_gallium_ninepatched_wine_repository/

https://build.opensuse.org/repositories/home:forkbomb:turboAMD-stable

It seems like you might need to enable DRI3 on a few circumstance with xorg but I always used wayland so I never had to set it.

edit: test d3d9single flag on and off.
    https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Gallium-Nine-Internal-MT
    gallium nine got a multi threaded patch a while ago. I do not know if things got faster or slower since I stop playing.
    edit2: copy paste the phoronix url. this forum just screws it up.
    edit3: you might need thread_submit=true for DRI_PRIME https://xellink.com/2014/11/20/tutorial-on-wine-gallium-9-possibly-doubling-your-framerate/
    https://github.com/iXit/Mesa-3D/commit/839f41763436cd1a438771f50ffa16fa3bbbb3c5
    you might need it or not. I guess it is another flag to test

Thanks for the reply I will look over this in more detail soon just short on time right now.

I am curious though? Why set the winecfg options for "windows xp", or virtual desktop? I was running virtual desktop back a few versions of wine ago because it would not load right without it but I have not had to in a while now to get it running right. Is there a benefit to this that I was not noticing?

patched wine and patched mesa, do I need to compile those myself or are those the the packages that are in the normal repo's if you use the most current version? Right now I have wine-staging-nine package installed and it does allow for the gallium nine option in the config window. I have the current version of Mesa from the tumbleweed repos right now is that sufficient? Not sure if that is the patched version or just the most updated stock version.

Also why DRI_Prime=1? I only have the single Radeon video card? I did have wonky issue on a laptop I have over the discrete and onboard GPU and that command did aid performance but would it be needed here with only 1 video card? If I do a glxgears -info I get the same output using or not using DRI_PRIME=1?

edited September 8, 2018

My bad. I thought you were playing on a laptop. you dont need DRI_PRIME or thread_sumbit=true
    windows xp - this game has different render paths for different windows version. XP might work better than 7+.
    virtual desktop - the launcher has a tendency of freezing like a DDoS attack.

do I need to compile those myself or are those the the packages that are in the normal repo's if you use the most current version? Right now I have wine-staging-nine package installed and it does allow for the gallium nine option in the config window

open a d3d9 game to find out. Open via command line and the shell tell you the d3d9 init is working. If not, then you need to install the mesa drivers.

Those repo packages are pre compiled. I do not like compiling stuff either. Do you think I like fixing computer? I am lazier than most people think.

I have the current version of Mesa from the tumbleweed repos right now is that sufficient? Not sure if that is the patched version or just the most updated stock version.

It probably not precompiled. the patch version is usually an to update version maybe a few days behind the current distro version. It has builds for tumbleweed.

• correction. i meant the stock mesa packages do not have the gallium nine flag enabled.
    The repo does ship binaries.

edited September 9, 2018

@loseridoit.2756 said:
    correction. i meant the stock mesa packages do not have the gallium nine flag enabled.
    The repo does ship binaries.

So at this point what I have installed is:

wine-staging-nine 3.15 (is this what you mean by patched version? I checked the links you posted and think so but not quite sure)
    Mesa-gallium
    Mesa-Libd3d

I started it with this string:

WINEPREFIX=/path/to/game/GW2 wine /path/to/game/GW2/drive_c/Program\ Files/Guild\ Wars\ 2/Gw2-64.exe -d3d9single -maploadinfo

when it starts in the output in terminal I get

Native Direct3D 9 is active.
    For more information visit https://wiki.ixit.cz/d3d9

is that a positive indication that it's running?

So my performance like this I tried with and without -d3d9single and its slightly better without it but I need to test it more to make sure. I need to do a comparison with the gallium option checked and unchecked as well in the winecfg screen to see for myself as well.

I get a lower FPS in the character select screen but it runs more stable on higher settings. Same in game. I don't really go above 40 FPS at all but it seems a lot more stable and turning is more fluid for sure. I am going to play with various setting combos to see if I get different performance. I want to run a TEQ event or something soon to test with a lot more people around. I would like to increase my FPS a little more and maybe my hardware is a limiting factor at this point as well due to its age but...

Is there further tuning I can do with wine in the config that will have any effect? I am not sure about manually tweaking it that much? Registry adjustments maybe?

For some reason my GPU stays cooler running it this way over the package armor has here not sure why???

edited September 9, 2018

@jbrother.1340 said:
    wine-staging-nine 3.15 (is this what you mean by patched version? I checked the links you posted and think so but not quite sure)

yes. it is the patched wine build

Mesa-Libd3d

this package is the gallium nine enabled Mesa build

yes. it should be running.

So my performance like this I tried with and without -d3d9single and its slightly better without it but I need to test it more to make sure. I need to do a comparison with the gallium option checked and unchecked as well in the winecfg screen to see for myself as well.

gallium nine has multi-threaded support. I am not surprised by removing -d3d9single means more fps.

I get a lower FPS in the character select screen but it runs more stable on higher settings. Same in game. I don't really go above 40 FPS at all but it seems a lot more stable and turning is more fluid for sure. I am going to play with various setting combos to see if I get different performance. I want to run a TEQ event or something soon to test with a lot more people around. I would like to increase my FPS a little more and maybe my hardware is a limiting factor at this point as well due to its age but...

I guess you can change win7 etc to see. Like I said, this game has different rendering paths for different windows version.
    The extra stability is normal because gallium nine removes a complicated OpenGL driver.
    Usually, shader compilation presents itself as fps hitches. Go test TEQ event.

I would report it to Alexey that you are seeing less FPS than wine OpenGL renderer.
    https://github.com/iXit/Mesa-3D/issues
    you should report to freedesktop too.

please use the gallium HUD
    add this env

GALLIUM_HUD="fps,GPU-load" WINEPREFIX=/path/to/game/GW2 wine /path/to/game/GW2/drive_c/Program\ Files/Guild\ Wars\ 2/Gw2-64.exe  -maploadinfo

https://manerosss.wordpress.com/2017/07/13/howto-gallium-hud/

Is there further tuning I can do with wine in the config that will have any effect? I am not sure about manually tweaking it that much? Registry adjustments maybe?

No farther tweaking other than update your software builds.
    AMD uses LLVM to optimize GPU IR. New LLVM build might add new shader optimizations. Most of the optimizations are already added. It shouldn't make a dramatic difference.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you are running DRI3.

For some reason my GPU stays cooler running it this way over the package armor has here not sure why???

Since you have fewer fps, I believe you might hit a bug with gallium nine. I would report it.

• Having updated to the latest kernel, and other bit, including swapping which of my two slightly different gfx cards is primary. Does anyone know why I would still get after a random amount of time, the pc locking up and the primary monitor only going black then turning to snow, even if GW2 is inactive window, and moved to a monitor driven by the other card?

Does xorg treat all cards as one, as they use the same Radeon driver, as I tried running glxinfo to see what load was on the cards and they both seem to be almost identically utilised.

Would moving from armours build at the top do the post, to a gallium nine enabled wine fix my snow issue? Or is it possible that the freezing and snow is hardware related?

Any help advice would be appreciated.

T.

• @Arctellion.6419 said:
    Having updated to the latest kernel, and other bit, including swapping which of my two slightly different gfx cards is primary. Does anyone know why I would still get after a random amount of time, the pc locking up and the primary monitor only going black then turning to snow, even if GW2 is inactive window, and moved to a monitor driven by the other card?

Does xorg treat all cards as one, as they use the same Radeon driver, as I tried running glxinfo to see what load was on the cards and they both seem to be almost identically utilised.

not really. I think DE try to put both monitors on the same xorg instance. Xorg is kinda broken in so many ways. Since you have two amd cards, why dont you try wayland to see if that fixes your issue?

Gallium nine uses a different driver path but I am not sure if it would behave properly. You should report the bug to freedesktop. They would ask you for debugging info.

edited September 9, 2018

@loseridoit.2756 said:

@jbrother.1340 said:

yes. it is the patched wine build

Mesa-Libd3d

this package is the gallium nine enabled Mesa build

yes. it should be running.

gallium nine has multi-threaded support. I am not surprised by removing -d3d9single means more fps.

I guess you can change win7 etc to see. Like I said, this game has different rendering paths for different windows version.
    The extra stability is normal because gallium nine removes a complicated OpenGL driver.
    Usually, shader compilation presents itself as fps hitches. Go test TEQ event.

I would report it to Alexey that you are seeing less FPS than wine OpenGL renderer.
    https://github.com/iXit/Mesa-3D/issues
    you should report to freedesktop too.

please use the gallium HUD
    add this env

GALLIUM_HUD="fps,GPU-load" WINEPREFIX=/path/to/game/GW2 wine /path/to/game/GW2/drive_c/Program\ Files/Guild\ Wars\ 2/Gw2-64.exe  -maploadinfo

https://manerosss.wordpress.com/2017/07/13/howto-gallium-hud/

No farther tweaking other than update your software builds.
    AMD uses LLVM to optimize GPU IR. New LLVM build might add new shader optimizations. Most of the optimizations are already added. It shouldn't make a dramatic difference.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you are running DRI3.

Since you have fewer fps, I believe you might hit a bug with gallium nine. I would report it.

I will do further testing and report if needed.

is this a good indicator that DRI3 is running and enabled?

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i DRI3

[    51.671] (==) RADEON(0): DRI3 enabled
    [    51.683] (II) Initializing extension DRI3

if I run this _cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i radeon i get this output which references DRI2 as well so I am not sure:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep radeon
        [    50.446]    loading driver: radeon
        [    50.447] (==) Matched radeon as autoconfigured driver 0
        [    50.447] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
        [    50.449] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
        [    50.456] (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        [    51.671] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: radeonsi
        [    51.671] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: radeonsi
        [    51.687] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized radeonsi

I tried to look in:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

I have a 10-amdgpu.conf file but it only has the following info:

Section "OutputClass"
                Identifier "AMDgpu"
                MatchDriver "amdgpu"
                Driver "amdgpu"
        EndSection

I am wondering also before I really go much farther with this if my hardware is a limiting factor for my overall FPS. This gear is aged and the CPU has at least 50,000 hours on it. I am not sure really what I should be expecting as far as FPS goes really. I have used this gear in the past with windows to play this but is has been enough years I cannot remember my performance with it and GW2.

Not sure if you saw my hardware list, what do you think is a realistic expectation in the current state of all this with this hardware in the first place? Maybe a baseline here of what I should get will help determine if I am with expected norms.

AMD Phenom Black X4 955 (overclocked slightly)
    Radeon HD 7950
    16 Gb RAM
    this is all on a Sabertooth 990fx gen1 Mboard

I am getting better performance with gallium for sure not sure if but fps is not much lower if at all after running around a bit more and I have upped my settings a fair amount. I am not sure that lower FPS on character select screen really indicates anything? I have not had a chance to run larger event might have time to hit TEQ today at 12p EST. if not will report that experience once I can play a boss just pressed for time right now.

edited September 9, 2018

@jbrother.1340 said:

if I run this _cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i radeon i get this output which references DRI2 as well so I am not sure:

I tried to look in:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Section "OutputClass"
                Identifier "AMDgpu"
                MatchDriver "amdgpu"
                Driver "amdgpu"
        EndSection

you driver output looks messy.

take a look which kernel driver you are using

lspci -vnn

if you see radeon in use then you can change it to amdgpu by adding these kernel parameters.

radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

AMDGPU is needed for vulkan drivers.
    If necessary, you can test out the powerplay code that was added in the DC core.

amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.dpm=1

You can use yast to add these kernel arguments
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha.grub2.html

see if that improves reclocking in your card. If you do find it break your display then report it to freedesktop.
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/

STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1 WINEDEBUG="-all" csmt_force=1 wine-any-2.21 Gw2-64.exe -maploadinfo -dx9single

with gpu set to high and cpu set to performance gives decent performance in all modes.

In wvw and during bigger events, like TT or Dragon Stand, Model Count and High Quality Models should be set to 'lowest'. AA turned off. The rest really does not have any real impact (for me).

a) not using pba
    b) using d3d9.

First - thank you for your hard work on this ArmoredVehicle.2849 and to everyone else that is contributing for us all to play on Linux. I could use some help here. Keep in mind I'm pretty green come to running on Linux. I've been running off just the default with what's been built when just running ./play.sh, but the performance I've been getting is far under what I get in Windows so read through here to see what else I can maybe change to increase FPS. When I try to run the command you have below I get the following:
    STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1 WINEDEBUG="-all" csmt_force=1 wine-stable Gw2-64.exe -maploadinfo -dx9single
    wine: cannot find L"C:\windows\system32\Gw2-64.exe" - I don't see the -64 version, can I opt to download that somehow? I'm only going off of what is done with downloading and running the ./setup.sh. Just today I've enabled Performance mode on the GPU and tried setting CPU to performance as well.
    Right now, using settings per OP, I get 50 FPS at character screen and about 14 FPS when logging into VB in HOT. Thoughts?
    My system:
    Wine: 3.0
    GPU: GTX 1050 Ti - 396.54 driver
    CPU: i7-2600K @3.40GHz
    16GB RAM

Thanks!

edited September 9, 2018

Ignore. I am thinking of the wrong thing.

• @kalel.6129 said:

STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1 WINEDEBUG="-all" csmt_force=1 wine-any-2.21 Gw2-64.exe -maploadinfo -dx9single

with gpu set to high and cpu set to performance gives decent performance in all modes.

In wvw and during bigger events, like TT or Dragon Stand, Model Count and High Quality Models should be set to 'lowest'. AA turned off. The rest really does not have any real impact (for me).

a) not using pba
    b) using d3d9.

First - thank you for your hard work on this ArmoredVehicle.2849 and to everyone else that is contributing for us all to play on Linux. I could use some help here. Keep in mind I'm pretty green come to running on Linux. I've been running off just the default with what's been built when just running ./play.sh, but the performance I've been getting is far under what I get in Windows so read through here to see what else I can maybe change to increase FPS. When I try to run the command you have below I get the following:
    STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1 WINEDEBUG="-all" csmt_force=1 wine-stable Gw2-64.exe -maploadinfo -dx9single
    wine: cannot find L"C:\windows\system32\Gw2-64.exe" - I don't see the -64 version, can I opt to download that somehow? I'm only going off of what is done with downloading and running the ./setup.sh. Just today I've enabled Performance mode on the GPU and tried setting CPU to performance as well.
    Right now, using settings per OP, I get 50 FPS at character screen and about 14 FPS when logging into VB in HOT. Thoughts?
    My system:
    Wine: 3.0
    GPU: GTX 1050 Ti - 396.54 driver
    CPU: i7-2600K @3.40GHz
    16GB RAM

Thanks!

ehm, you have to install the game via wine setup.exe and then go to the games directory, where you enter the command
    cd .wine/drive_c/Program Files/Guild\ Wars 2
    STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1 WINEDEBUG="-all" csmt_force=1 wine Gw2-64.exe -maploadinfo -dx9single

(the wine-any is for gentoo users who have installed wine-any-VERSION, gentoo lets you install douzends of wine versions in parallel).

ehm, you have to install the game via wine setup.exe and then go to the games directory, where you enter the command
    cd .wine/drive_c/Program Files/Guild\ Wars 2
    STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1 WINEDEBUG="-all" csmt_force=1 wine Gw2-64.exe -maploadinfo -dx9single

(the wine-any is for gentoo users who have installed wine-any-VERSION, gentoo lets you install douzends of wine versions in parallel).

Ok, sorry, I was assuming most were using the ./setup script from OP for how they were running this. I'll look to download and setup x64 and go from there with trying to change away from wine-any as well.
    Thanks.

edited September 11, 2018

@loseridoit.2756 said:

@jbrother.1340 said:

I tried to look in:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Section "OutputClass"
                Identifier "AMDgpu"
                MatchDriver "amdgpu"
                Driver "amdgpu"
        EndSection

you driver output looks messy.

take a look which kernel driver you are using

lspci -vnn

if you see radeon in use then you can change it to amdgpu by adding these kernel parameters.

radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

AMDGPU is needed for vulkan drivers.
    If necessary, you can test out the powerplay code that was added in the DC core.

amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.dpm=1

You can use yast to add these kernel arguments
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha.grub2.html

see if that improves reclocking in your card. If you do find it break your display then report it to freedesktop.
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/

I have been working through this still.

I did run a TEQ today it was a max map. It dropped fps as I would expect but ran decent and looked better at higher settings. was a touch laggy but was full map. I forgot to turn on the gallium hud and want to do it again and watch GPU usage. Not ready to file a bug report yet. Not much difference overall in game in FPS between the two methods but the character screen does report much higher for OpenGL over gallium. Gallium9 is smoother and I can notice it and looks just a bit cleaner in color and texture at the same settings.

I did add the above stuff to kernel parameters but it didn't seem to change much. Should it have a large affect the powerplay code?

right now what concerns me is that running it like this I cannot access the trading post at all or the store. I get net error. If I load another way armor's script or lutris/playonlinux it will let it load but starting it via cli and the gallium setup I cannot? Any thoughts on that?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.