Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more. - Page 6 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

Comments

• @spigatl.3687 said:

Anyone know this error, Lutris + OpenSuSe + 64bits Version

are you using KDE?

I had some bad interactions with plasma and gw2 on occasion. I switched over to lxqt... and had never problems again.

• ArmoredVehicle.2849ArmoredVehicle.2849 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2018

@spigatl.3687 said:
    Anyone know this error, Lutris + OpenSuSe + 64bits Version

Looks like a font issue. If you can run it in terminal and post the log here it might help.

• Esync is causing me game to crash during the loading. If i turn it off, prevents it from crashing during loadings but performance is around 20 fps.
    Solus RX480 Mesa 18.2.1 LLVM 6.

• a) use d3d9 with amd gpus
    b) your cpu is more important than mesa, llvm or having the latest and greatest in gpus.

• @Benjus Maximus.4932 said:
    Esync is causing me game to crash during the loading. If i turn it off, prevents it from crashing during loadings but performance is around 20 fps.

Check the troubleshooting section in my first post, I wrote a guide how to fix that. :)

• Benjus Maximus.4932Benjus Maximus.4932 Member
    edited October 12, 2018

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@Benjus Maximus.4932 said:
    Esync is causing me game to crash during the loading. If i turn it off, prevents it from crashing during loadings but performance is around 20 fps.

Check the troubleshooting section in my first post, I wrote a guide how to fix that. :)

I followed the troubleshooting step by step, I edited /etc/systemd/system.conf and /etc/systemd/user.conf and reboot, but when i do ulimit -Hn and ulimit -Sn the numbers comes back like i never edited it but when i go to the text editors it does shows up as edited.

edited October 12, 2018

I followed the troubleshooting step by step, I edited /etc/systemd/system.conf and /etc/systemd/user.conf and reboot, but when i do ulimit -Hn and ulimit -Sn the numbers comes back like i never edited it but when i go to the text editors it does shows up as edited.

Did you also edit the "/etc/security/limits.conf" file? Can you upload screenshots of the files' contents please?

• @ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Did you also edit the "/etc/security/limits.conf" file? Can you upload screenshots of the files' contents please?

I figure out what was the issue and managed to edit the files. I forgot to remove the # at the beginning of the line and that was causing the edit not take place.
    Thanks for the help.

• [3404:3455:1015/132325.720559:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process. [23392:23455:1015/133538.762692:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process.
    I got a weird error any idea what this means?

• eh.... all google brings up are google chrome/chromium problems...

• jbrother.1340jbrother.1340 Member ✭✭✭

@Rikou.4720 said:
    [3404:3455:1015/132325.720559:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process. [23392:23455:1015/133538.762692:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process.

Under what conditions are you getting this error? Trying to launch or taking an action in game like trying to open the Trading post of BL Store?

as VAN said the only thing that really seems to error in this way that people talk about is chrome/chromium?

You might try to reinstall your video drivers depending on what you are using and maybe a clean download of the package here if you are using it. If that doesn't work then maybe try a full wine reinstall?

Do you use chrome/chromium? If so does that error like this if you launch from CLI?

• @jbrother.1340 said:

@Rikou.4720 said:
    [3404:3455:1015/132325.720559:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process. [23392:23455:1015/133538.762692:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process.

Under what conditions are you getting this error? Trying to launch or taking an action in game like trying to open the Trading post of BL Store?

as VAN said the only thing that really seems to error in this way that people talk about is chrome/chromium?

You might try to reinstall your video drivers depending on what you are using and maybe a clean download of the package here if you are using it. If that doesn't work then maybe try a full wine reinstall?

Do you use chrome/chromium? If so does that error like this if you launch from CLI?

Yea I launched chrome from a terminal and got the same error. So I need to restall drivers then?

• jbrother.1340jbrother.1340 Member ✭✭✭

@Rikou.4720 said:

@jbrother.1340 said:

@Rikou.4720 said:

Yea I launched chrome from a terminal and got the same error. So I need to restall drivers then?

I would try uninstalling chrome first and then launch GW2 and see if you still get those errors.

Could be a driver issue but I would try the most simple thing first.

• from all I can find it is not a driver but a chrome issue.

edited October 18, 2018

@Rikou.4720 said:

@jbrother.1340 said:

@Rikou.4720 said:

The game's Trading Post uses technology based on Chromium/Chrome, which is why you get the same (or similar) message. If the Linux native Chrome throws that error, then most likely the problem is somewhere around your OS.

@Rikou.4720 said:

@jbrother.1340 said:

@Rikou.4720 said:

The game's Trading Post uses technology based on Chromium/Chrome, which is why you get the same (or similar) message. If the Linux native Chrome throws that error, then most likely the problem is somewhere around your OS.

Okay I removed google chrome and I don't see the error popping up even when messing around with the gemstore in-game. Guessing that was the issue then. e.e

• Draknil.1860Draknil.1860 Member ✭✭
    edited October 26, 2018

Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
    use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
    or equal to 2.0.5.

edit: This error is what is causing the lack of any text or boxes on the login screen in the above screenshots from people. I looked around for a way to install what it wants but I couldn't get anything to work.

• @Draknil.1860 said:
    or equal to 2.0.5.

edit: This error is what is causing the lack of any text or boxes on the login screen in the above screenshots from people. I looked around for a way to install what it wants but I couldn't get anything to work.

Which distro are you using? Ubuntu/Mint 16.04 or newer all include libfreetype 2.6.x. The package is called libfreetype6 and libfreetype6:i386 for the 32bit one. The 64bit one may already be installed but not the 32bit one and considering GW2 has some 32bit components that might be the reason why it causes issues.

In my latest package I added some Core Fonts to smoothen up the setup process.

edited October 27, 2018

@Draknil.1860 said:
    or equal to 2.0.5.

Which distro are you using? Ubuntu/Mint 16.04 or newer all include libfreetype 2.6.x. The package is called libfreetype6 and libfreetype6:i386 for the 32bit one. The 64bit one may already be installed but not the 32bit one and considering GW2 has some 32bit components that might be the reason why it causes issues.

In my latest package I added some Core Fonts to smoothen up the setup process.

This is the thing as I am running 64 bit Linux Mint 19 Bionic and it has libfreetype6 installed and the 32bit version it will not allow to be installed it gave me all sorts of errors when I tried. I have been away from Linux for 10 years now and when I was in it for 10 years I was 100% CLI so I am not sure how to help this situation. Even when I reinstalled the libfreetype6 (verified it had really stayed installed after a reboot too) I fired up wine and BLAM, the same exact error.

edit: "In my latest package I added some Core Fonts to smoothen up the setup process."
    When I posted above I had just downloaded it no longer than 2 hours before.

edit #2: I do believe this is the culprit - https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28001 Almost two years ago but exactly the same issues.

edit #3: I got my fonts now as I had a bad ppa that left me with broken deps. sudo apt-get --fix-missing install fixed me right up and with the inclusion of the 32bit libfreetype (I only had the 64bit version listed) it came up properly.

• I guess I will just use Windows to play the game, darn it, because 8-15fps in LA I can't handle that and that is with best performance selected. Normally I get 50-60fps (capped).

• @Draknil.1860 said:
    edit #3: I got my fonts now as I had a bad ppa that left me with broken deps. sudo apt-get --fix-missing install fixed me right up and with the inclusion of the 32bit libfreetype (I only had the 64bit version listed) it came up properly.

Thanks for confirming that this package actually solves the issue, I will add it to troubleshooting list :)

@Draknil.1860 said:
    I guess I will just use Windows to play the game, darn it, because 8-15fps in LA I can't handle that and that is with best performance selected. Normally I get 50-60fps (capped).

Can you please post your system specs? I'm finding it odd that you're getting such low fps. On one of my low systems with a G4560 and GT1030 the game is very playable with a mix of medium-high settings at 720p, in LA it's able to reach 35-50 depending on the area and 50+ in most other areas (outside of large group events).

edited October 28, 2018

@Draknil.1860 said:

Thanks for confirming that this package actually solves the issue, I will add it to troubleshooting list :)

@Draknil.1860 said:
    I guess I will just use Windows to play the game, darn it, because 8-15fps in LA I can't handle that and that is with best performance selected. Normally I get 50-60fps (capped).

Can you please post your system specs? I'm finding it odd that you're getting such low fps. On one of my low systems with a G4560 and GT1030 the game is very playable with a mix of medium-high settings at 720p, in LA it's able to reach 35-50 depending on the area and 50+ in most other areas (outside of large group events).

I was at the bank in LA when I logged in then logged out and back in via Windows. I am on a Nvme+SSD, Ryzen 5 1600, 16 gigs of ram, 1060 GTX 6GB.

edit: Let me add this is 1920x1200 in Windows and Linux and on Windows I have a few settings cranked up but in Linux those 8-15fps was at max performance mode so Windows was actually way better in FPS and visual quality at those FPS.

• @Draknil.1860 said:

@Draknil.1860 said:

@Draknil.1860 said:

I was at the bank in LA when I logged in then logged out and back in via Windows. I am on a Nvme+SSD, Ryzen 5 1600, 16 gigs of ram, 1060 GTX 6GB.

edit: Let me add this is 1920x1200 in Windows and Linux and on Windows I have a few settings cranked up but in Linux those 8-15fps was at max performance mode so Windows was actually way better in FPS and visual quality at those FPS.

Only scenario I can think of that would produce such results would be when using the open source Nvidia drivers.

edited October 29, 2018

Something I'd like to share which might help with performance:

For those who have lots of cores/threads it might help if you manage the workload a bit manually. On my Ryzen 1700X for example I set GW2 to run on threads 1-8 which provides better performance than if I let it run on all 16. Secondly I use a dual screen setup where on the second one I keep my browser open all the time, most of the time it doesn't affect game performance, however if I play a Youtube video or watch a movie, game performance would sometimes degrade because CPU power is being utilized for a different task, as such limiting the browser to 3 other threads unused by the game eliminated the problem.

You are of course not required to do this for every program, just the ones you think will use CPU power. To control how many or which cores a program can use you can do this by running the 'taskset' command, for example if you want a program to use only the first 2 cores it would be "taskset -c 0-1 name_of_program" (core count starts from 0 not 1).

:)

edited November 1, 2018

@Draknil.1860 said:

@Draknil.1860 said:

@Draknil.1860 said:

Only scenario I can think of that would produce such results would be when using the open source Nvidia drivers.

Nope, I used the official one from Nvidia although I have given up on GW2 in Linux as it just can't be done at a satisfactory level on my system.

• Hello!
    I've been trying to get this to work, but it keeps crashing when I click play in the login window. To be honest with you, I'm not an experienced Linux user at all so I don't really know what I'm doing, but I installed the libraries mentioned as well as changed the maximum file limits (and the ulimit commands do show the new numbers). Here's the debug log (sorry that it's so long, I'm not really sure which parts are relevant):

000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 3.15 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
    000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
    0009:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
    0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x30000 0 0x25fd00 4 stub
    0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x380000 0 0x25fce0 4 stub
    0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x380000 1 (nil) 0 stub
    002b:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0xc3fdd0 (nil)): stub
    002b:fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0xc3fdd0): stub
    0009:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init Setting multithreaded command stream to 0x1.
    0009:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init The GLSL shader backend has been disabled. You get to keep all the pieces if it breaks.
    0009:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init Setting multithreaded command stream to 0x1.
    0009:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init The GLSL shader backend has been disabled. You get to keep all the pieces if it breaks.
    002f:fixme:d3d_perf:wined3d_buffer_heap_create PBA: using GL_CLIENT_STORAGE_BIT quirk (mesa)
    002f:fixme:d3d_perf:wined3d_buffer_heap_create PBA: using GL_CLIENT_STORAGE_BIT quirk (mesa)
    002f:fixme:d3d:create_buffer_heap Initialized PBA (geo_heap_size: 536870912, cb_heap_size: 134217728, ub_align: 256)
    0009:fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x13839e0, L"C:\GW2\GW2.exe", 0x25f170)
    003a:fixme:msctf:ThreadMgrSource_AdviseSink (0x14cb010) Unhandled Sink: {ea1ea136-19df-11d7-a6d2-00065b84435c}
    003a:fixme:imm:ImmDisableTextFrameService Stub
    003a:fixme:d3d9:D3DPERF_GetStatus (void) : stub
    003a:fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationJobObject stub: 0x218 2 0x264dbb0 64 (nil)
    003a:fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationJobObject stub: 0x218 9 0x264dbf0 144 (nil)
    0041:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
    0041:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
    0041:fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (3): stub
    0041:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
    0041:fixme:nls:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 00000038, 0x35f674, (nil) 0x35f670
    0041:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x38 0x35f674 (nil) 0x35f670) returning a dummy value (current locale)
    0041:fixme:nls:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 00000038, 0x35f674, 0x2b05ba0 0x35f670
    0041:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x38 0x35f674 0x2b05ba0 0x35f670) returning a dummy value (current locale)
    0041:fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x35f6e0 0x00000ff0 0x35f728) Stub!
    0041:fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x35f5b8, overlapped 0x2b0cd08): stub
    0048:fixme:esync:__esync_wait_objects Can't wait on esync and server objects at the same time!
    0041:fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationW (hwnd=0x1007c, filter=0x35f798,flags=0x00000000) returns a fake device notification handle!
    0041:fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationW (hwnd=0x1007c, filter=0x35f798,flags=0x00000000) returns a fake device notification handle!
    0051:fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW (0x495320, 0x24ef248, {3dada31d-19ef-4dc1-b345-037927193422}, 1, 0x24a4f04, (null), (null), 0x24ef260): stub
    0051:fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW register trace class {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    0041:fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x35dbf0 0x00000ff0 0x35dc38) Stub!
    005b:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
    005b:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
    005b:fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (3): stub
    005b:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
    005b:fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW (0x495320, 0x24ef248, {3dada31d-19ef-4dc1-b345-037927193422}, 1, 0x24a4f04, (null), (null), 0x24ef260): stub
    005b:fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW register trace class {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    005b:fixme:gdi:GdiInitializeLanguagePack stub
    0053:fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x3eff564 0x00000ff0 0x3eff5ac) Stub!
    0057:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
    0053:fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x3eff564 0x00000ff0 0x3eff5ac) Stub!
    0041:fixme:win:UnregisterDeviceNotification (handle=0xcafeaffe), STUB!
    0041:fixme:win:UnregisterDeviceNotification (handle=0xcafeaffe), STUB!
    0041:fixme:iphlpapi:CancelIPChangeNotify (overlapped 0x2b0cd08): stub
    0041:fixme:ntdll:EtwUnregisterTraceGuids deadbeef: stub
    003a:fixme:nvapi:unimplemented_stub function 0x2dc95125 is unimplemented!
    003a:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_services_CreateInstanceEnum unsupported flags 0x00000030
    003a:fixme:wbemprox:enum_class_object_Next timeout not supported
    003a:fixme:ddraw:ddraw7_Initialize Ignoring guid {aeb2cdd4-6e41-43ea-941c-8361cc760781}.
    007a:fixme:d3d_perf:wined3d_buffer_heap_create PBA: using GL_CLIENT_STORAGE_BIT quirk (mesa)
    007a:fixme:d3d_perf:wined3d_buffer_heap_create PBA: using GL_CLIENT_STORAGE_BIT quirk (mesa)
    007a:fixme:d3d:create_buffer_heap Initialized PBA (geo_heap_size: 536870912, cb_heap_size: 134217728, ub_align: 256)
    003a:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work.
    003a:fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 0x434f5441 (as fourcc: ATOC) WINED3DFORMAT!
    003a:fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format unrecognized (0x434f5441) in the format lookup table.
    003a:fixme:msctf:ThreadMgrSource_AdviseSink (0x14cb010) Unhandled Sink: {ea1ea136-19df-11d7-a6d2-00065b84435c}
    003a:fixme:imm:ImmDisableTextFrameService Stub
    003a:fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x50064 0x00000000
    003a:fixme:nvapi:unimplemented_stub function 0xdc6dc8d3 is unimplemented!
    003a:fixme:nvapi:unimplemented_stub function 0xbe7692ec is unimplemented!
    007f:fixme:d3d_perf:wined3d_buffer_heap_create PBA: using GL_CLIENT_STORAGE_BIT quirk (mesa)
    007f:fixme:d3d_perf:wined3d_buffer_heap_create PBA: using GL_CLIENT_STORAGE_BIT quirk (mesa)
    007f:fixme:d3d:create_buffer_heap Initialized PBA (geo_heap_size: 536870912, cb_heap_size: 134217728, ub_align: 256)
    003a:fixme:nvapi:unimplemented_stub function 0xdc6dc8d3 is unimplemented!
    007f:fixme:d3d:create_buffer_heap Initialized PBA (geo_heap_size: 536870912, cb_heap_size: 134217728, ub_align: 256)

Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks!

edited November 5, 2018

@Villakarvarousku.7160 said:
    Hello!
    I've been trying to get this to work, but it keeps crashing when I click play in the login window. To be honest with you, I'm not an experienced Linux user at all so I don't really know what I'm doing, but I installed the libraries mentioned as well as changed the maximum file limits (and the ulimit commands do show the new numbers). Here's the debug log (sorry that it's so long, I'm not really sure which parts are relevant):

>

Can you please share some info about your system, mainly distro version (Ubuntu 18.04, Mint 19...etc), GPU type and driver version. I get similar messages if I run the game in terminal too but it works fine, so far your log looks fine.

Can you please share some info about your system, mainly distro version (Ubuntu 18.04, Mint 19...etc), GPU type and driver version. I get similar messages if I run the game in terminal too but it works fine, so far your log looks fine.

Ha, ok, so... I went to check the driver version, and turns out it was using Nouveau instead of the Nvidia one by default. I feel pretty silly, but it seems to work great now. Thank you very much!

• @Villakarvarousku.7160 said:

Ha, ok, so... I went to check the driver version, and turns out it was using Nouveau instead of the Nvidia one by default. I feel pretty silly, but it seems to work great now. Thank you very much!

Unfortunately Nouveau is not in good shape for gaming, especially with newer GPU's. Great job on getting it solved :)

• I've been having connection issues for the past few weeks. I think it's on ANet side because my internet is fine. Still, I tried it in Windows and I'm having the same connection problems.

I'm gonna open a ticket eventually but in the meanwhile how can I make sure the problem isn't because I'm running GW2 on Wine?

• @draconicrose.6213 said:
    I've been having connection issues for the past few weeks. I think it's on ANet side because my internet is fine. Still, I tried it in Windows and I'm having the same connection problems.

I'm gonna open a ticket eventually but in the meanwhile how can I make sure the problem isn't because I'm running GW2 on Wine?

I think you answered your own question there :)

I think you'd have better ping on Linux than on Windows as it doesn't have a bunch of background processes that could access the network (including system updates).

@draconicrose.6213 said:
    I've been having connection issues for the past few weeks. I think it's on ANet side because my internet is fine. Still, I tried it in Windows and I'm having the same connection problems.

I think you answered your own question there :)

I think you'd have better ping on Linux than on Windows as it doesn't have a bunch of background processes that could access the network (including system updates).

Yeah, I just wanted to discard options. Whatever is happening, is happening after the packets leave my home and are in the hands of my ISP. 😩

• I just installed GW2 through lutris on mint. Runs OK (faster than the macOS client on my hackintosh install). My only problem: the mouse is too fast. It's set up so that it's perfect for my desktop use but in GW2 it's simply too sensitive. Is there a way to decrease mouse sensitivity just for GW2 or wine?

edited November 12, 2018

@biczkowski.2961 said:
    I just installed GW2 through lutris on mint. Runs OK (faster than the macOS client on my hackintosh install). My only problem: the mouse is too fast. It's set up so that it's perfect for my desktop use but in GW2 it's simply too sensitive. Is there a way to decrease mouse sensitivity just for GW2 or wine?

If it has any adjustable DPI you may want to play around with that to begin with. I have a mouse which came as part of a kb+mouse set and on its' highest setting it's great for my dual screen setup but uncomfortable for GW2. Eventually I found a middle ground and haven't looked back.

Quick Edit: A quick google search returned this thread: https://askubuntu.com/questions/205676/how-to-change-mouse-speed-sensitivity

What you can do is add a command line that changes the mouse settings before the game opens, and another command to revert them when you close it. If you find the right settings I can help you integrate it into the GW2 launch script :)

EDIT 2: I dug a bit around that link I pasted above and managed to automatically slow down the mouse when opening the game, and speeding it back to normal when I close it, unfortunately I don't know how to make it switch dynamically in case of alt tabbing, so as long as the game is running it will be in effect across the entire system. In case you want to try it out here's what I did (in terminal):

1) Determining your mouse id: 'xinput --list' (unless you have over 9000 usb devices plugged in, you should recognize the mouse id fairly easy) in my case it was id=9
    2) Listing the mouse properties: 'xinput --list-props 9' (as above, 9 represents the mouse id number).
    3) What we're looking for is "Device Accel Constant Deceleration", next to it will have a number, in my case it's 274 which represents the function's number and 1.000000 is the sensitivity it's currently set to.
    4) To slow it down type: 'xinput --set-prop 9 274 5.0' . This basically tells the mouse with id=9 to set function 274 (which represents movement speed) to 5.0 (the higher the number the slower the mouse moves).

The change takes effect as soon as you hit enter, play around with the value and If you think this method will help you, let me know and I will guide you to integrate it at game launch. :)

• Fye.7594Fye.7594 Member ✭✭

For some reason, I can't get this to run without stuttering on Solus distribution (Intel i5, Nvidia GT740M). Tried changing wine regedit, "export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1", dx9single, GLSL, etc.

Only reporting this here as a warning to those interested in that distribution. (or maybe some Solus user can help me?)
    In Debian 9, it worked out-of-the-box.

• Is there a way to unlock the cursor from the window when playing in windowed fullscreen/borderless mode? No matter what I do the cursor won't move to my second monitor unless I alt-tab.

I'm guessing it has something to do with GW2 or this wine configuration because this doesn't happen when playing Sims 4 in windowed fullscreen.

edited November 26, 2018

@draconicrose.6213 said:
    Is there a way to unlock the cursor from the window when playing in windowed fullscreen/borderless mode? No matter what I do the cursor won't move to my second monitor unless I alt-tab.

I'm guessing it has something to do with GW2 or this wine configuration because this doesn't happen when playing Sims 4 in windowed fullscreen.

You can run the Wine settings for the game using the "wine_settings.sh" > "Graphics" tab > untick "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows". I tried it on my setup which has 2 screens but it didn't work, whatever option I choose the mouse is still locked to the game. I've been able to get by with normal Windowed mode, I browse a lot while playing.

@Fye.7594 said:
    For some reason, I can't get this to run without stuttering on Solus distribution (Intel i5, Nvidia GT740M). Tried changing wine regedit, "export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1", dx9single, GLSL, etc.

Only reporting this here as a warning to those interested in that distribution. (or maybe some Solus user can help me?)
    In Debian 9, it worked out-of-the-box.

You was using Debian 9 on that same system? Try turning off the Compositor, sorry can't be of much help, I'm not very familiar with Solus.

@draconicrose.6213 said:
    Is there a way to unlock the cursor from the window when playing in windowed fullscreen/borderless mode? No matter what I do the cursor won't move to my second monitor unless I alt-tab.

You can run the Wine settings for the game using the "wine_settings.sh" > "Graphics" tab > untick "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows". I tried it on my setup which has 2 screens but it didn't work, whatever option I choose the mouse is still locked to the game. I've been able to get by with normal Windowed mode, I browse a lot while playing.

This worked for me! Thank you very much!

• Naossoan.7013Naossoan.7013 Member
    edited November 30, 2018

Please can you help me get GW2 working? I am using ElementaryOS 5.

I have used your package to download and install the game, and I am left with a launcher that looks like the screenshot you have posted in your original post.

I have downloaded and installed the Libc whatever package as a prerequisite to the libfreetype:i386 freetype package as you described in a comment.

I have tried installing the i386 package, which I have (I think?) located here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libfreetype6 but my system is telling me it cannot be installed. I tried looking in Synaptic as well as AppCentre but the i386 package is not listed in either of those repositories.

When I open the package in Eddy (for installing .deb packages) I am given the options of Downgrade and Uninstall. I'm assuming it says downgrade because I already have the 64 bit versions installed....

EDIT: I fixed it! I was able to use the sudo apt-get install libfreetype:i386 command to just download it with the terminal. This command didn't work for me before when I tried it, because I have Synaptic package manager open which was impinging on my ability to use apt in the terminal.
    GW2 appears to be running flawlessly now!

Thanks so much for your hard work!!!

• dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭

you good sir are a wizard. I have found that using this my frame rates are almost the same as windows. also the slowness that was in trading post is gone.
    Finally i can delete the "Wintendo" partition.

Thank you

• Hi. I have a question. To install gw2, do i need to install first wine or only use this file that you have put there. its my first time using linux of any kind so i am lost in this. i have ubuntu 18.04 installed.

• @tonac.2394 said:
    Hi. I have a question. To install gw2, do i need to install first wine or only use this file that you have put there. its my first time using linux of any kind so i am lost in this. i have ubuntu 18.04 installed.

The archive comes complete with its' own wine, no need to install the one from the repo. You might have to install a few libraries though such as 'libfreetype6:i386'.

• Alright. But i had installed before this, or i tried to install gw2 with playonlinux and i couldnt make it. after i unistalled, wine is left from playonlinux. and i see in readme it says that any previous version should be uninstalled. so how i do it or do i need to then if i have it. version from current wine is 3.0.4

edited December 7, 2018

@tonac.2394 said:
    Alright. But i had installed before this, or i tried to install gw2 with playonlinux and i couldnt make it. after i unistalled, wine is left from playonlinux. and i see in readme it says that any previous version should be uninstalled. so how i do it or do i need to then if i have it. version from current wine is 3.0.4

The package runs entirely in a portable mode, it doesn't integrate anything into the system (you don't have to use sudo once for the matter).

Download the file > extract it somewhere and in terminal run './setup.sh' and it will setup everything automatically. When it says "End of Setup." you can launch the game with './play.sh', if you get stuck somewhere run the './debug.sh' and post the log here. :-)

• Hmm, it says there is no such file or directory. Nothing else than that.

• @tonac.2394 said:
    Hmm, it says there is no such file or directory. Nothing else than that.

Can you please upload any screenshots? "there is no such file or directory" can appear for a number of reasons.

• tonac.2394tonac.2394 Member ✭✭
    edited December 7, 2018

https://imgur.com/9nuqgNZ its on croatian so you can put in google translate but its says no file or directory

• @tonac.2394 said:
    https://imgur.com/9nuqgNZ its on croatian so you can put in google translate but its says no file or directory

You need to extract the downloaded file and then run the setup.sh file.

• Yea i did that, extract and then via terminal like in the picture i write that setup.sh. This is what looks like in map where i extract https://imgur.com/1ijWBxN Dont know if i did smth wrong

• @tonac.2394 said:
    Yea i did that, extract and then via terminal like in the picture i write that setup.sh. This is what looks like in map where i extract https://imgur.com/1ijWBxN Dont know if i did smth wrong

At the end of my first post there are the links for the correct downloads. Search for the "Download Links" section and download the correct package depending on your graphics card. Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/Vofy61q.png

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.