Legendary weapons lore - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Legendary weapons lore

13>

Comments

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

For Caladbolg, it's not legendary, but at least we completed a quest to recover it and Commander got the weapon and the title officialy within lore.

In lore, it is 100% legendary. Even if it's not a legendary weapon by mechanics. So it's no different than the Claw or Shining Blade.

I wonder about that. Every other legendary weapon we have received has passed through Zommoros's hands, so it might be possible the Commander simply doesn't know how to (or can't) tune Caladbolg efficiently. I mean, the weapon isn't set to one permanent stat like a normal ascended weapon - it can be forcibly reset through unbound magic.

This might be speculation, but I think Caladbolg was always set to Riannoc’s preferences until it was reformed, and the way to tune Caladbolg was lost with Riannoc. This is why Caladbolg acted like a Guardian Greatsword even in the hands of the Necromancer Traehearne, but has since reset to aid the Commander’s profession after being imbued with enough unbound magic.

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have never seen the Legendaries as canon. It wouldn't make sense for most of them. They aren "lore breaking" ONLY if you see them as part of the immersive world of Tyria. I just can't see them as such: they are just toys for players, not true elements of the world. For me at least, Legendaries are in the same exact category as the Catmander badge.

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Westenev.5289 said:

For Caladbolg, it's not legendary, but at least we completed a quest to recover it and Commander got the weapon and the title officialy within lore.

In lore, it is 100% legendary. Even if it's not a legendary weapon by mechanics. So it's no different than the Claw or Shining Blade.

I wonder about that. Every other legendary weapon we have received has passed through Zommoros's hands, so it might be possible the Commander simply doesn't know how to (or can't) tune Caladbolg efficiently. I mean, the weapon isn't set to one permanent stat like a normal ascended weapon - it can be forcibly reset through unbound magic.

This might be speculation, but I think Caladbolg was always set to Riannoc’s preferences until it was reformed, and the way to tune Caladbolg was lost with Riannoc. This is why Caladbolg acted like a Guardian Greatsword even in the hands of the Necromancer Traehearne, but has since reset to aid the Commander’s profession after being imbued with enough unbound magic.

Caladbolg had a mixture of guardian, mesmer, and elementalist skills. Riannoc wasn't a guardian, but a warrior. And when we fought Trahearne, he had Reaper skills mixed in with the core Caladbolg skills that we got when wielding it in the sylvari PS - during the PS, he just got those core Caladbolg skills (Riannoc also got a lot of fire/guardian skills instead of the original skills, and the vision of ourself just got improved core Caladbolg skills).

The mechanical state of legendary weapons has no hold on lore, and a weapon being handled by Zomorros doesn't make it uniquely special (we got tons of Exotics that can only be made via Mystic Forge; like the Reaper of Souls). Nor should there be any requirement for a legendary weapon to be handled by Zomorros - that's just a mechanical side of things.

@Ardid.7203 said:
    I have never seen the Legendaries as canon. It wouldn't make sense for most of them. They aren "lore breaking" ONLY if you see them as part of the immersive world of Tyria. I just can't see them as such: they are just toys for players, not true elements of the world. For me at least, Legendaries are in the same exact category as the Catmander badge.

Sure, except a quarter of them have lore.

• Eternity (and thus Sunrise and Twilight) is a weapon once held by the High Wizard of Orr.
    • Quip is at one point wielded by Scarlet while in Queen's Pavilion, likely scavenged from DR.
    • Chuka and Champawat is a weapon we ourselves made, imbued with the souls of two powerful tigers (perhaps the Spirit of the Wild Tiger as well? Haven't finished the collection).

And obviously we know the lore of Claw of the Khan-Ur and The Shining Blade. But then there's the other collections. While somewhat pathetic, they do give hints to the weapons' lore:

• Frostfang is named after Jormag's greatest champion, slain by Asgeir.
    • Nevermore is a weapon that has been blessed by the Spirit of the Wild Raven.
    • H.O.P.E. is a weapon created using asuran understanding of hylek alchemy.
    • Astralaria channels the power of the cosmos, in a very literal sense it is imbued with magic from the Mists, the world, and the Elder Dragons. It's even part of Elonian history.

The rest, sadly, just give representations and thematic connections. Some more logical than others.

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

I see the "lore" put in the Legendaries more as a nice reference or homage than a direct relation with something currently happening on the world. Like buying a plastic sword called "Excalibur" in a Toys Are Us, or like naming a gun after Longinos spear. The exceptions could be Nevermore, Astralaria and Chuka, IMO, because them have an actual, direct relation with the world.
    Anyway, that only my point of view, the one that bothers me the less.

• I know this is an oldish thread, but that comment about The Shining Blade made by Kettlecorn bugged me. We didn't need The Shining Blade, a weapon forged by the powerful race of spellcasters known as the Seers in Guild Wars 1 because we literally had an actual Seer help us to infuse our armor in order to survive fighting them. The lore presented to us now tells us that the weapon existed back then, and the Shining Blade probably had it and used it to fight the Mursaat. Still, its just one weapon and judging by how drawn out the battle with Lazarus was you wouldn't expect a single soldier with that sword to destroy the entirety of the Mursaat in the same manner that the player character did through fulfilling the Flameseeker Prophecies. With Lazarus, a rather exceptional Mursaat withdrawing into the mists (or whatever it was he did to escape, hide, and survive) there was no longer a chosen one to fulfill an ancient prophecy. There was a single sword crafted by the Seers and used by the chosen ones great great grandson/daughter (I am assuming that heritage armor implies the commander is related to the player character in gw1). This is fantasy, it only makes sense it you allow it to.

• Eekasqueak.7850Eekasqueak.7850 Member ✭✭✭

@Jables.4659 said:
    I know this is an oldish thread, but that comment about The Shining Blade made by Kettlecorn bugged me. We didn't need The Shining Blade, a weapon forged by the powerful race of spellcasters known as the Seers in Guild Wars 1 because we literally had an actual Seer help us to infuse our armor in order to survive fighting them. The lore presented to us now tells us that the weapon existed back then, and the Shining Blade probably had it and used it to fight the Mursaat. Still, its just one weapon and judging by how drawn out the battle with Lazarus was you wouldn't expect a single soldier with that sword to destroy the entirety of the Mursaat in the same manner that the player character did through fulfilling the Flameseeker Prophecies. With Lazarus, a rather exceptional Mursaat withdrawing into the mists (or whatever it was he did to escape, hide, and survive) there was no longer a chosen one to fulfill an ancient prophecy. There was a single sword crafted by the Seers and used by the chosen ones great great grandson/daughter (I am assuming that heritage armor implies the commander is related to the player character in gw1). This is fantasy, it only makes sense it you allow it to.

That doesn't take into account non human commanders though.

• @Jables.4659 said:
    The lore presented to us now tells us that the weapon existed back then, and the Shining Blade probably had it and used it to fight the Mursaat.

I mean, aside from the fact that it's never shown or talked about there's this:

The Blade fought mursaat tyranny from the shadows until we found the allies needed to wage war and retake Kryta. We hunted down the mursaat that the Titans spared, killing all but one: Lazarus.
    Afterward, a gift arrived: the sword we call the Shining Blade. As the last lay dying, the Seers bestowed us their ancient weapon and a duty to destroy the last mursaat, should he ever return.

The Shining Blade were given the Shining Blade when only Lazarus was left. We don't know when the weapon was forged, but the Shining Blade didn't have the weapon until after the events of War in Kryta.

@Jables.4659 said:
    With Lazarus, a rather exceptional Mursaat withdrawing into the mists (or whatever it was he did to escape, hide, and survive) there was no longer a chosen one to fulfill an ancient prophecy. There was a single sword crafted by the Seers and used by the chosen ones great great grandson/daughter (I am assuming that heritage armor implies the commander is related to the player character in gw1). This is fantasy, it only makes sense it you allow it to.

Well, ignoring the fact that an asura, sylvari, charr, or norn PC couldn't be related to the GW1 PC, Livia outright calls us Chosen just before facing Lazarus, and Livia said we were to fulfill that prophecy (laid by the dying last Seer who gave The Shining Blade to the Shining Blade).

• @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Well, ignoring the fact that an asura, sylvari, charr, or norn PC couldn't be related to the GW1 PC, Livia outright calls us Chosen just before facing Lazarus, and Livia said we were to fulfill that prophecy (laid by the dying last Seer who gave The Shining Blade to the Shining Blade).

i sumbled on this one cuz to me being Chosen implemented Ascension and i just cant figure our how or when the Pact Com. have achieved that. maybe u can find some light in this for me :)

• @norbes.3620 said:

i sumbled on this one cuz to me being Chosen implemented Ascension and i just cant figure our how or when the Pact Com. have achieved that. maybe u can find some light in this for me :)

you need to be chosen to be able to perform ascention - but it doesn't mean you haev already performed it.
    PC in GW1 was chosen long before they did ascention ritual.

if PS in gw2 has achieved ascention before lazarus fight we'd not have to implement jantir's eye to the fight at all - but we were able to use it because of us being chosen.

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2018

Technically, all being Chosen really means is having the potential to become "powerful magic users". This potential does include the potential to become Ascended, however.

Of course, the former notion comes from a group which lied about what they were doing to Chosen (White Mantle), and the latter comes from a person who had many reasons to lie (Khilbron). Outside of Livia's one comment, we only ever see the term being used in relation to the Flameseeker Prophecies (and the White Mantle finding suitable villagers to sacrifice atop the Bloodstone).

• @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    Technically, all being Chosen really means is having the potential to become "powerful magic users". This potential does include the potential to become Ascended, however.

Of course, the former notion comes from a group which lied about what they were doing to Chosen (White Mantle), and the latter comes from a person who had many reasons to lie (Khilbron). Outside of Livia's one comment, we only ever see the term being used in relation to the Flameseeker Prophecies (and the White Mantle finding suitable villagers to sacrifice atop the Bloodstone).

so the eye of janthir was used to find powerful souls to sacrifice because it was searching for "Chosen" People (yea i already knew that it was searching for the sacrifices. this is about the conditions on wich it's deciding)
    Considering that for me it makes sense that the PC is Chosen cuz he is indeed supposed to be one of the most powerful People on that planet at least of the known People and all playable classes are Magic users in one form or the other unlike the regular Seraph for example

still the lack of Ascension bugs me when it Comes to being able to see lazarus

• @norbes.3620 said:

I'll blame that on that shiny blade in his chest during the fight....
    (been a while since I've run that instance - wasn't he ocasionally disappearing and had to be revealed by breaking the breakbar on eye of janthir?)

• @Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

@norbes.3620 said:

I'll blame that on that shiny blade in his chest during the fight....
    (been a while since I've run that instance - wasn't he ocasionally disappearing and had to be revealed by breaking the breakbar on eye of janthir?)

Yes, he was occasionally disappearing, and we did attack the Eye of Janthir to reveal him. Though if you played a heavy light-CC condi build, like Reaper, then you probably put in 0 effort in breaking that bar, like I did on my main.

• I will replay it then and pay more Attention

• @Sojourner.4621 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:
    So how the Commander aquired the Claw?

He didn't, it's a game mechanic, not lore. The claw is there. I even gave you a picture. The commander doesn't have it.

He makes a very valid point. At best, legendary weapons are just cosmetic ascended weapons with stat swapping abilities, nothing more.

13>
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.