15 second warning of getting booted?

Today marked a new low in communication by ArenaNet. After playing a while in WvW, we get the warning that a new build will be ready in 10 minutes. Nothing said about having to restart the game, just 10 minutes until the build.

7 minutes later (I'm guessing they got that right), we got a 3-minute warning. This one DID include that the game will restart in 3 minutes.

Then, immediately after the 2:45 warning, we got a warning we would be kicked from WvW. Then we were booted. The time gap between the warnings and the boot was less than a second each.

Was this update THAT important?

If a new update comes out, all PVP areas (sPvP and WvW) automatically shut down and boot everyone. This has always been the case. The ability to keep playing for any significant time after an update has been released has only ever existed in PVE, and that is a recent change.

As far as the update being THAT important: ALL players in a given map MUST have the exact same version of the game client installed. So if you want to keep playing without the update, you would block ALL players who do have the update from playing until you log out to get the update. Therefore, ALL players are booted from all PVP areas when an update is released.

So you had a warning and did not act. You got another warning about very soon disruptions and you still did not care because you didn't expect it to be shutdown. The question is: Why would you think they put a message on-screen when it could be silently added in the background? Giving out several warnings WITHOUT any consequences (like being booted from the game) would be rather silly, wouldn't it?

I know many drivers that ignore the red lamp or warnings on the LCD display about the low fuel level. They want to see the needle in the fuel gauge literally sitting on zero. And then the calculation is wrong and the motor dies 2km shy of the next gas station. Who is to blame...?

Excelsior.

@Zedek.8932 said:So you had a warning and did not act. You got another warning about very soon disruptions and you still did not care because you didn't expect it to be shutdown. The question is: Why would you think they put a message on-screen when it could be silently added in the background? Giving out several warnings WITHOUT any consequences (like being booted from the game) would be rather silly, wouldn't it?

I know many drivers that ignore the red lamp or warnings on the LCD display about the low fuel level. They want to see the needle in the fuel gauge literally sitting on zero. And then the calculation is wrong and the motor dies 2km shy of the next gas station. Who is to blame...?

Excelsior.

The second warning was saying that he had 3 minutes before being booted but they actually kicked him after only 15 seconds so there was still 2 minutes 45 seconds left in the countdown. That was the problem.

I mean why have a countdown timer at all if you're going to ignore the actual timer and reboot early? It's a simple thing; if you tell people they have 3 minutes before they're reboot then you should actually give them 3 minutes.

Otherwise tell them they have 15 seconds.

I actually can't remember when WvW didn't auto-boot after a new build was announced. Its actually kind of a running joke, "You have 2 hours until you will need download a new build, well actually you have 90 seconds, get moving slacker." Not saying its fun but think about it this way. In WvW there aren't multiple instances so if some players have one build and other players have another they can't see each other. In PvE people are just separated out by their builds in their own virtual servers which is what allows people to wait out getting new builds. In WvW you can't do that since there is only one instance in existence. Again, agree timing can be poor but there really isn't a great time to push new builds. And besides if they do these while their resources are up and and awake they are there to deal with things that might have been missed versus going all night with new issues. Good hunting!

As @CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617 stated this has always been the case for PvP and WvW. As for PvE it is not necessary to restart when the build drops but you will not be able to be on the same map instance with others who have already updated. So if you are planning on a world boss fight it is best to update asap. In the WvW zone it is one map one instance so ANET has no choice but to boot everyone to ensure fairness across the board that everyone is on the same build.

@Zedek.8932 said:So you had a warning and did not act. You got another warning about very soon disruptions and you still did not care because you didn't expect it to be shutdown. The question is: Why would you think they put a message on-screen when it could be silently added in the background? Giving out several warnings WITHOUT any consequences (like being booted from the game) would be rather silly, wouldn't it?

Excelsior.

Did you READ my post? 15 seconds, not 10 minutes. That is NOT a warning.

The first warning did not say anything about kicking. Typically, the build comes out, and THEN they tell us we're going to have to exit in some amount of time. Lately, it's usually measured in hours.

@Pifil.5193 said:

Excelsior.

The second warning was saying that he had 3 minutes before being booted but they actually kicked him after only 15 seconds so there was still 2 minutes 45 seconds left in the countdown. That was the problem.

I mean why have a countdown timer at all if you're going to ignore the actual timer and reboot early? It's a simple thing; if you tell people they have 3 minutes before they're reboot then you should actually give them 3 minutes.

Read the OP's message again, he specifically said the warning at 2:45 said they would be booted from WvW, and that is exactly what happened, not sure what his complaint is honestly. You're always booted from WvW/PvP before the client closes down and restarts, it's never been an instant boot and restart.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Zedek.8932" said:So you had a warning and did not act. You got another warning about very soon disruptions and you still did not care because you didn't expect it to be shutdown. The question is: Why would you think they put a message on-screen when it could be silently added in the background? Giving out several warnings WITHOUT any consequences (like being booted from the game) would be rather silly, wouldn't it?

Excelsior.

Read the OP's message again, he specifically said the warning at 2:45 said they would be booted from WvW, and that is exactly what happened, not sure what his complaint is honestly. You're always booted from WvW/PvP before the client closes down and restarts, it's never been an instant boot and restart.

No he didn't, there seems to be some confusion here, what happens is this (I know this because the same thing happened to me before and I thought it was kinda daft).

The game says: "A new build will be available in 10 minutes." - Fair enough.10 minutes later the game says: "A new build is available. Your game will restart in 3 minutes." - Fair enough.15 seconds later it says: "A new build is available. Your game will restart in 2 minutes 45 seconds." - Fair enough.Immediately after that 2:45 warning the game says: "A new build is available. Your game will restart now." and the game logs you out to Lion's Arch. - This is the issue.

So the complaint is this: why say it's a 3 minute countdown when it's actually a 15 or maybe 16 second countdown? Why boot you when there's still 2:45 seconds on the clock?

In my case I had just respawned after a disagreement with some green or blue people and so I was already in base camp and just running to throw some stuff in the bank when it kicked me out. No big deal, but I'd imagine it'd be somewhat more annoying if you were actively attacking a lord or supply camp.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Zedek.8932" said:So you had a warning and did not act. You got another warning about very soon disruptions and you still did not care because you didn't expect it to be shutdown. The question is: Why would you think they put a message on-screen when it could be silently added in the background? Giving out several warnings WITHOUT any consequences (like being booted from the game) would be rather silly, wouldn't it?

Excelsior.

No he didn't, there seems to be some confusion here, what happens is this (I know this because the same thing happened to me before and I thought it was kinda daft).

The game says: "A new build will be available in 10 minutes." - Fair enough.10 minutes later the game says: "A new build is available. Your game will restart in 3 minutes." - Fair enough.15 seconds later it says: "A new build is available. Your game will restart in 2 minutes 45 seconds." - Fair enough.Immediately after that 2:45 warning the game says: "A new build is available. Your game will restart now." and the game logs you out to Lion's Arch. - This is the issue.

So the complaint is this: why say it's a 3 minute countdown when it's actually a 15 or maybe 16 second countdown? Why boot you when there's still 2:45 seconds on the clock?

In my case I had just respawned after a disagreement with some green or blue people and so I was already in base camp and just running to throw some stuff in the bank when it kicked me out. No big deal, but I'd imagine it'd be somewhat more annoying if you were actively attacking a lord or supply camp.

There's a huge difference between being kicked out of WvW and sent to Lions Arch(which is what you say happens, and I know it happens that way) and the game just logging you completely out and restarting...which is what the OP is implying. That is not the case, it kicks you out of WvW and sends you to LA, with a 15 second warning that is going to happen...I used to play WvW, I know the messages...maybe someone needs to play closer attention in the future, but it has been that way since the beginning.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

Excelsior.

There's a huge difference between being kicked out of WvW and sent to Lions Arch(which is what you say happens, and I know it happens that way) and the game just logging you completely out and restarting...which is what the OP is implying. That is not the case, it kicks you out of WvW and sends you to LA, with a 15 second warning that is going to happen...I used to play WvW, I know the messages...maybe someone needs to play closer attention in the future, but it has been that way since the beginning.

Not quite. It kicked me back to the map I was on (Draconis Mons, in my case).

The big problem is that it didn't give a 15 second warning, as Pifil said: It was a three minute warning that evaporated at the 15 second mark.

I understand the need for server stability. What I don't understand is announcing the three-minute warning, but then not granting it. Surely after 5 years then can send separate messages to WvW, can't they? I KNOW they can, because I've seen messages that only go to WvW (and, I imagine PvP).

And, goodness gracious, can't they plan better than this?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Did the game kick you at 2:45 or so? Or did it relocate you to LA, and then restart a couple of minutes later (or give the choice to wait ~2 hours as it is PvE)? Just wondering, because being moved to LA is not restarting the game. /shrug

Good point. They booted me to Draconis Mons (where I was before I went to WvW). Then, I logged out (after submitting a support incident), since I was going to be booted anyhow.

Archived