Magic find and salvage.

Hi everyone, I have two small questions:1- Does magic find affect the quality of salvaged materials?2- I'm now at 200% MF. Is it worth it to spend gold to level it til 300%?

Edit: another thing's bugging me: how much percentage does the trading post take from selling instantly and listing the item for sale? Which one is the most profitable?

1. no ( the tool does ).
  2. since the nerf of unidentified gear, it has no sense working toward mf cap ( if you compare the golds needed to the benefit of 100 extra mf ).

If you usually open items which require mf ( new year's envelopes, spvp bags, some hot bags, etc... ), the you could have one more reason, but even so I wouldn't do it.

@"Shirlias.8104" said:

1. since the nerf of unidentified gear, it has no sense working toward mf cap ( if you compare the golds needed to the benefit of 100 extra mf ).

First, there's been no demonstrated nerf in unidentified gear (this has been discussed previously in another thread). Second, the amount of account magic find affects all the loot you get from all kills of loot-bearing foes, so it definitely matters in the long run.

The question is more accurately phrased as: how much effort or gold is it worth to maximize magic find? The problem is there's no single rule of thumb that applies to everyone. There are multiple methods to maximize MF: the easiest ones cost more, the most laborious ones are potentially profitable.

• You get essences of luck from Lunar New Year envelopes. With 200% account bound MF, you can boost your temp MF to ~700-800% and get ~1.4g/envelope. Buy orders are 1.38g, so you'd pay about 21 silver per envelope for about 202 luck.
  • Trick or Treat Bags can be purchased for ~3.4s each (buy offer) and contain about 2.79s worth of mats (not counting the low-drop-rate stuff). Each bag also contains about 23 luck, thus the same 21s would get ~600 luck.
  • You can buy common unID gear for about 2.2s, open with at least 600% MF, and end up with about 3.8s worth of mats (post tax, selling at sell offer), which results in a net profit. You get a lot of luck (although I can't tell you how much because I haven't tracked it).

Opening unID gear with that much MF takes some preparation and effort; it takes practice to get efficient at it. But since it's roughly profitable, you can boost your account MF without it costing you gold in the long run; it just costs you time.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Shirlias.8104" said:
  1. since the nerf of unidentified gear, it has no sense working toward mf cap ( if you compare the golds needed to the benefit of 100 extra mf ).

First, there's been no demonstrated nerf in unidentified gear (this has been discussed previously in another thread). Second, the amount of account magic find affects all the loot you get from all kills of loot-bearing foes, so it definitely matters in the long run.

As discussed before, i happened to see on a extremely large scale.And about the drop from kills in the game, it means nothing, because the effort put into capping mf is definitely too high if compared to what you gain.

More or less the truth behind permanent tools ( or better, how many harvesting you need to get a profit ) or other permanent stuff ( like copper salvage o matic and silver salvage o mati ), even though most of the players buy them as QoL items, while on the contrary a capped MF is not a QoL.

About the trading post ( i forget to answer ).

Listing Fee (5%) — This nonrefundable cost covers listing and holding your items for sale. This fee has a minimum of 1 Copper coin and is immediately taken from your wallet when you list or instantly sell an item.Exchange Fee (10%) — This fee is the Trading Post's cut of the profit. This fee has a minimum of 1 Copper coin and is deducted from coins delivered to the seller after a successful sale.

However, If he play the game farming event over and over ( or wvw following a captain ), then he could consider to cap MF, but it would be hard and there won't be any profit ( given the 200% mf, he could gain another 40% from food, 10% from fireworks, 20% from amulet infusion, 30% from utility food, 150 from silverwastes stack, 50 from silverwastes meta, 100 from birthday booster, he will be able to reach a nice amount of mf, even though without the right setup will be hard to optimize the salvaging. And also, not everybody like to gamble on a game, and prefer to "play" it ).

Long story short, consume the luck you get as you get it, but trying to cap out at 300% from luck generally isn't worth worrying about doing. It will eventually happen just by you playing the game. Plus, ANet still hasn't implemented any good sinks for players who have capped out on Luck, as it still drops, and at a higher rate (those players still want to salvage for crafting materials, after all, but now they're getting fewer whites and blues).

Archived