[pve] What are pChrono defensive skills and how to use them?

saloja.7920

Background:I've wanted to get a support chrono for ages, but I don't have the gear, so I figured while getting gear I'd immerse myself with the class with cheap Berserker stuff.

I copied a power chrono build from metabattle, because it's a start. However I find myself dying when overwhelmed with mobs in, for example, Istan. Like a group of 4-6 will eventually kill me. Despite constantly churning out phantasms->clones and exploding them my health just keeps trickling down untill I die.

Q:What utility skills should I look into and are there any combos for them to make them most effective?

I have a good thief background so the problem is not standing in void zones or learning to dodge.

Mesmer has a ton of great defensive options, but they're all active. Our passive defense (specifically, armor and health) won't stand up for long.

• Your F4 shatter, Distortion, makes you invulnerable for one second per illusion shattered (including the Mesmer). It's an amazing defensive tool because that's a long time to be immune to damage.
  • If you're using a shield, you can block with the 4 skill, Echo of Memory. That channels for 1.5 seconds and blocks any attacks that hit you in that time, then summons a phantasm. If you block at least one attack with it, it'll immediately be replaced by Deja Vu, which means you can immediately block for another 1.5 seconds (and summon another phantasm).
  • Off-hand sword also has a block skill, Illusionary Riposte. It'll only block one attack, though, and creates a clone instead of a phantasm.
  • You could try saving Blurred Frenzy (main-hand sword) for defensive use. It's a powerful attack, so it's tempting to use it offensively, but it also makes you invulnerable for the entire channel, so you can save yourself from some nasty situations by using it that way. Just make sure you don't move or you'll cancel it.
  • If you're using greatsword, keep in mind that you have Illusionary Wave to push away melee enemies temporarily.
  • Well of Precognition gives you aegis every second while you stand in the well, which means one blocked attack per second.
  • If you need to get out of bad zones quickly, use Blink. You can also use stealth to escape if you've got too many enemies on you, with Decoy or the torch skill The Prestige.

Archived