Is there going to be anymore classes — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Is there going to be anymore classes

_Is there going to be anymore classes brought into the game or brought back? With the living season 4 this is a perfect chance to bring back some classes like the Dervish **and **Ritualist it would be a great add and to have.

Comments

  • Ya that's rather heartbreaking, because i loved playing Dervish in Guild Wars 1 and to see them have dervish enemies fighting us and having one as a boss really make me want dervish brought back.

  • czerwoni.9563czerwoni.9563 Member ✭✭✭

    maybe in the form of an elite spec because adding one class means adding 2 elite specs to that class and we are already at a nice even 3 light 3 mid 3 heavy armor.

    you say mesmer i say shadow sorcerer

  • Edelweiss.4261Edelweiss.4261 Member ✭✭✭

    @Jace al Thor.6745 said:
    After how bad Rev has failed it might be a while before we see anything like that. In fact, we probably won’t because to have a new class at this point they’d have to make a minimum of two elite specs for it assuming no more came out before it’s release. That said, no probably not. Rather than new classes we get elite specs.

    It certainly isn't likely, but I don't think they'd be required to make two elite specs. I imagine they'd make at least one as they did so with Revenant upon release, but they don't even necessarily have to do that. Again, with Revenant, they played with our understanding of what made a class. Namely, that the heal/utility/elite skill come as packages. I suppose they could introduce a class with only a single weapon available. Again, none of this is likely, but requiring a minimum of two elite specs seems like a baseless assumption.

  • Khailyn.6248Khailyn.6248 Member ✭✭✭

    Agree with many above. We have our round 9 professions, and not all of them are handled well. Id rather future work be put into elite specs to fill in gaps and work on balancing what we have further. Some professions are more limited than others in what they can do and Revenant feels unfinished still.

  • derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

    if i remember correctly, anet said elite specs were the 'new professions' in future xpacs during hot development or something like that and rev was made to fill out the roster (3 light, 3 medium and 3 heavy classes)

    I Have No friends, so I Must pug

  • Swagg.9236Swagg.9236 Member ✭✭✭✭

    This game would have been better off with only 4 classes.

  • @Swagg.9236 said:
    This game would have been better off with only 4 classes.

    No, that’s still too many for Anet to balance.

  • Swagg.9236Swagg.9236 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Jace al Thor.6745 said:

    @Swagg.9236 said:
    This game would have been better off with only 4 classes.

    No, that’s still too many for Anet to balance.

    While that may be true, GW2 would be better off with 4 classes max principally because there is so little to do in GW2 from a mechanical standpoint. There are no real unique abilities or means to affect the field which aren't available to every class in some way. Everything is just DAMAGE or BE INVULNERABLE aside from a few cute abilities like Portal, Rocket Boots, and even some non-class skills like the Jump Shot gun in Lion's Arch that players have to use to get to that one skill point out on a rock in the middle of the lake. Less total skills and less classes would have made this game a lot better, but it's far too late to save it now.

  • otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Probably just new elites with next expansion. I really doubt we will ever see a full new class.

  • Echoherb.6528Echoherb.6528 Member ✭✭✭

    Elite specs fill that role, and there will almost certainly be more of those. Honestly I'd be happy if they started one by one redesigning and fixing existing classes similar to mesmer, starting with engineer.

  • ArmageddonAsh.6430ArmageddonAsh.6430 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Jace al Thor.6745 said:
    No, that’s still too many for Anet to balance.

    They would struggle balancing 1 class to be fair...

  • ArmageddonAsh.6430ArmageddonAsh.6430 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Echoherb.6528 said:
    Elite specs fill that role, and there will almost certainly be more of those. Honestly I'd be happy if they started one by one redesigning and fixing existing classes similar to mesmer, starting with engineer.

    The Elite specs have been a failure. How many of them change how a class plays? VERY little, if at all. They are nothing more than power creep upgrades. Pay2win at its worst.

  • Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

    I think Dervish and Paragon are good candidates for elite specs. Paragon makes most sense for guardians. They get inspires and spear weapon. Dervish could honestly work for any of the heavy professions, or even Ranger or Elem since their magics are both connected to natural forces (and GW1 dervs controlled water and wind.

    Rit could maybe be modified to a Revenant elite. They’re all about channeling spirits. Necromancer too maybe.

  • ArmageddonAsh.6430ArmageddonAsh.6430 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Echoherb.6528 said:
    Most of them change how the class plays, but I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks buying expansions are "pay2win".

    How do they play different? They all still play pretty much the same, press as many buttons as you can, as quick as you can. By play different i mean actually having specs that have one role. In this game where any spec can do pretty much what ever they want. You lose the point of having new specs as they will do the same thing. Druid still plays SO much like Ranger, just is better in pretty much every way.

    Well, the fact that every new specs oddly gets nuked with nerfs rather close to the release of new expansions. It IS pay2win when the new specs are 99.9% of the time MUCH stronger (ignoring the 0.1% - Renegade) Because of the whole play how you want, every spec has to be able to do everything. Thus no spec is really unique. This is where the decision not to have a "trinity" really hurts the game. In a game with the trinity.

    Druid would be a pure healer, it would deal low damage but does what it currently does very well. In this game though, Druid is a healer that can still do the damage of a DPS spec, so it has the damage of a DPS spec, the healing of a heal spec, more utility, stealth, defense and mobility. What makes running Ranger useful? When Druid does EVERYTHING Ranger does and then some...

  • ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2018

    I am overwhelmed by the negativity when it comes to new races/classes and balancing. Imo balancing isn't that important. You still can play. The difference of a good/bad player is so huge that it doesn't matter anyway. Also I love to have diversity. Why not have 2-3 additonal classes? Anet introduced 4 new classes in GW1 in the year 2006. It was great.

    Also what is the problem with new races? Just make it the cheap way: either a rather humanoid race or completely different with own limited sets, anet can build up from there. There mustn't be all the sets available for all races. Take it easy, chill and don't take a game too serious (unless you are a professional gamer but then PvP in this game here isn't taken serious anyway).

  • @Swagg.9236 said:
    This game would have been better off with only 4 classes.

    I disagree diversity is extremely important in a game like this

  • Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @draken.8614 said:
    Ya that's rather heartbreaking, because i loved playing Dervish in Guild Wars 1 and to see them have dervish enemies fighting us and having one as a boss really make me want dervish brought back.

    The current classes may lack the flavor of Dervish but it's main benefit was incorporated into every single one of current classes. If you remember, Dervish with it's scythe was the only GW1 class that had cleaving melee attacks by default.

  • Straegen.2938Straegen.2938 Member ✭✭✭

    @ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:
    The Elite specs have been a failure. How many of them change how a class plays? VERY little, if at all. They are nothing more than power creep upgrades. Pay2win at its worst.

    This is one of the most incorrect statements I have read on this forum. Numerous elites change the game-play immensely from class to class. Even the way a person has to counter each elite changes wildly.

  • Taygus.4571Taygus.4571 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:

    @Echoherb.6528 said:
    Most of them change how the class plays, but I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks buying expansions are "pay2win".

    How do they play different? They all still play pretty much the same, press as many buttons as you can, as quick as you can. By play different i mean actually having specs that have one role. In this game where any spec can do pretty much what ever they want. You lose the point of having new specs as they will do the same thing. Druid still plays SO much like Ranger, just is better in pretty much every way.

    Well, the fact that every new specs oddly gets nuked with nerfs rather close to the release of new expansions. It IS pay2win when the new specs are 99.9% of the time MUCH stronger (ignoring the 0.1% - Renegade) Because of the whole play how you want, every spec has to be able to do everything. Thus no spec is really unique. This is where the decision not to have a "trinity" really hurts the game. In a game with the trinity.

    Druid would be a pure healer, it would deal low damage but does what it currently does very well. In this game though, Druid is a healer that can still do the damage of a DPS spec, so it has the damage of a DPS spec, the healing of a heal spec, more utility, stealth, defense and mobility. What makes running Ranger useful? When Druid does EVERYTHING Ranger does and then some...

    A pure healer druid has low dps. A higher dps druid, sacrifices healing.

    Do you even play the class?

    Soilbeast is the DPS spec. and Soulbeast plays completely differently to druid. And neither are about just spamming your skills fast. You would not be an effective druid if you just spammed skills.

    Necro elites are another that play completely differently.

    I can't speak for the other classes.

  • new races on the other hand.... I dont remember where i saw back in LS2 a supposed leaked image of a Tengu male/female with a similar art style to the one you see on the race selection screen.

  • @Tora.7214 said:
    new races on the other hand.... I dont remember where i saw back in LS2 a supposed leaked image of a Tengu male/female with a similar art style to the one you see on the race selection screen.

    No, not new races, new profs, nor a console version of the game. At least, not any time soon.

    Massively OP Summarizes Mike Zadorojny's (April 2018) Comments on New Professions, new Races

    We also talked a bit about things that are probably not happening. New professions... have probably been sidelined forever in favor of new elite specializations; they allow the team to change the feel of a given profession without actually forcing you to play a new character along the way. New races, too, are a lot of work for limited rewards, and any sort of console development is also not something the team is focused on.

    Obviously, none of this is set in stone; he stressed that the quote to take away is not that new races will never be added. It’s just not the current direction.

    emphasis added

    Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @czerwoni.9563 said:
    maybe in the form of an elite spec because adding one class means adding 2 elite specs to that class and we are already at a nice even 3 light 3 mid 3 heavy armor.

    Well, if Blizzard were running this game, they would agree with you and introduce a class that wears different armor depending on their trait:
    Core trait - Light
    HoT Elite - Medium
    PoF Elite - Heavy

    :)

  • MyPuppy.8970MyPuppy.8970 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Looking at the implementation of Rev & it's elites, i'd say no. New especs for sure but no new class. And they have to rework ele first.

  • RedShark.9548RedShark.9548 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ProtoGunner.4953 said:
    I am overwhelmed by the negativity when it comes to new races/classes and balancing. Imo balancing isn't that important. You still can play. The difference of a good/bad player is so huge that it doesn't matter anyway. Also I love to have diversity. Why not have 2-3 additonal classes? Anet introduced 4 new classes in GW1 in the year 2006. It was great.

    Also what is the problem with new races? Just make it the cheap way: either a rather humanoid race or completely different with own limited sets, anet can build up from there. There mustn't be all the sets available for all races. Take it easy, chill and don't take a game too serious (unless you are a professional gamer but then PvP in this game here isn't taken serious anyway).

    you see there is where prioritization comes into play. ALOT of players (including me, since i almost only play wvw) rather have a good balancing instead of a big pile of different classes.
    with introducig rev they stated that now each armor type has 3 classes and i doubt that they will change that. they will just bring out new especs to let you classes play differently. even tho they did a bad job at that aswell...warrior (can only speak for that) honestly feels not much different than before.

  • Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:

    @Jace al Thor.6745 said:
    No, that’s still too many for Anet to balance.

    They would struggle balancing 1 class to be fair...

    It's not a struggle if they don't do it to be more fair.

    I'm doubtful we will see a new class; I think the 'interesting' space where new class would reside would have too much overlap with the current ones.

    If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

  • we don't need new classes, we just need balance, rework of terrible/almost useless skills and new elite specs.

  • @Swagg.9236 said:
    This game would have been better off with only 4 classes.

    How so? All 9 play so differently. How would you merge the current Prof.?

  • lodjur.1284lodjur.1284 Member ✭✭✭

    @ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:

    @Echoherb.6528 said:
    Elite specs fill that role, and there will almost certainly be more of those. Honestly I'd be happy if they started one by one redesigning and fixing existing classes similar to mesmer, starting with engineer.

    The Elite specs have been a failure. How many of them change how a class plays? VERY little, if at all. They are nothing more than power creep upgrades. Pay2win at its worst.

    Elite specs are not pay2win. They simply make gw2 morelike a P2P game (more like 1-2 years between each "subscription"). P2W refers to when you can to an unreasonable degree just put more and more money into the game to get stronger, not pay a rather reasonable fee every 1-2 years to get access to some new specs, think of it as games with new level caps in expansion for example.

    Ögonen omges av vita och svarta penseldrag som gör att de ser större ut än vad de egentligen är. Baksidan av lodjurets öron kantas av svart päls som slutar i den karaktäristiska tofsen högst upp på örat. Lodjurets svans är kortare än de flesta andra kattdjurs.

  • @ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:

    @Echoherb.6528 said:
    Elite specs fill that role, and there will almost certainly be more of those. Honestly I'd be happy if they started one by one redesigning and fixing existing classes similar to mesmer, starting with engineer.

    The Elite specs have been a failure. How many of them change how a class plays? VERY little, if at all. They are nothing more than power creep upgrades. Pay2win at its worst.

    Some may read it as hate, I read it as passion miced with frustration.
    The elite specs are really strong, but you might have noticed that people still run what the call “core”-spec.
    Simply because in some aspects the combinations of three core-specs, either surpass the combo of elite-spec for that sole purpose, or because the Elite-specs change too much of the playstyle.

    HoT was the first babysteps, and therefor you will not find a total overhaul of mechanics, and I think that is why PoFs Elite-specs feels more fresh, since they are a bold take on the core-profession mechanics.

    No doubt that they still got the flavour of the core, but look on how you use them.
    Spellbreakers might have the least “new” stuff, but bringing in an active counter and boon-stripping is a new way of playing warriors, but still do not take away banner support, or compete with full burst.

    Firebrand grants Guardians “kit”-like virtues, these are a bit like the old elites, where you get five new abilities (15 in total) that act accordingly to their virtue.
    This change the virtues to be one-time ohh kitten actives, to being a bigger part of the rotation imo (purely subjective), but still keep the virtues flavour.

    Daredevil was pretty much a acrobatic thief on steroids, and brings little new to the profession (though staves are cool), that said does the Deadeye bring us the missing 1200-1500 range that I have been missing for awhile now.
    I change the steal ability from a teleport to a mark, it can accumilate a lot of burst and dps, but at a cost, lack of mobility (if you pick rifle).

    Elementalist, though clunky due to its core, also differ a lot in its specs.
    In Tempest you want to tank the attunements for awhile if you want the overload mechanics, were Weaver kinda force you to rotate a bit more and plan ahead on your rotation due to the mechanic of the weaver (a bit like Revenants legends).

    They can still be played a bit like core.
    But then why not just stick with core, that would probably reap better results.
    Elite-specs give you a change to change you playstyle and/or weapon, but in the end it is all up to you :)

  • Yes, it is the Accountant class and it's Tuesday at 11

  • Lily.1935Lily.1935 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Maybe. We can't rule it out as a possibility. I feel that Anet might begin to add more classes when they feel comfortable with a specific number of elite specs. So lets say we get to 4 elite specs per class. I feel that should be just about the right number of specs. But that's my opinion. 2 is too few for sure, 3 might be okay but People are going to be mighty upset if they don't get something they've been clamoring for with the 3rd one. So I'll say 4.

    After 4 I think if arena net focuses their resources on adding core stuff to the classes as well as a new class with 4 unique elite specs this could be a fair trade off once we get to that point. I feel after 5 elite specs we could start to see quite a bit of bloat in their design.

  • Lily.1935Lily.1935 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Ritualist really should be its own class. Necromancer players and GW1 players wont be happen if its given to Revenant and Revenant players wont be happy if its given to necromancer. Its a lose lose situation.

    But if it is its own class! Everyone wins! Everyone is happy, no one is sad. Revenants can keep being their martial class without the clunky slow nature of Ritualist and Necromancers can steal the Ritualist's cloths from the wardrobe. YOINK! Mine now!

  • I prefer new weapons over recycled ones and new professions in the next expansion, tbh. Having the existing classes have something like a Crossbow Gauntlet, Katari, Flail or Polearms is pretty much achievable in terms of labor and profit; both short and long run.

    An unsavory fellow beloved by those of unsavory ilk.

  • Elric.4713Elric.4713 Member ✭✭✭

    @Lily.1935 said:
    Ritualist really should be its own class. Necromancer players and GW1 players wont be happen if its given to Revenant and Revenant players wont be happy if its given to necromancer. Its a lose lose situation.

    But if it is its own class! Everyone wins! Everyone is happy, no one is sad. Revenants can keep being their martial class without the clunky slow nature of Ritualist and Necromancers can steal the Ritualist's cloths from the wardrobe. YOINK! Mine now!

    Even if they decided to add Ritualist you can forget about it being the same as was in the first game, considering they gave the gameplay to Engineer and theme to Revenant. Most likely it will end up the way Dervish and Paragon did, as a profession for the NPC's with a slight possibility of it being a specialization mentor and sharing some of their knowledge about whatever Rev gets when we go to Cantha.

    👻Legendary Ritualist Stance - Invoke the power of the legendary ritualist Master Togo.

  • Etterwyn.5263Etterwyn.5263 Member ✭✭✭

    No new classes please. They can't balance the ones we have now.

    WvW™ - where you find more Red Rings of Death than an Xbox repair facility.

  • phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:

    @Jace al Thor.6745 said:
    No, that’s still too many for Anet to balance.

    They would struggle balancing 1 class to be fair...

    balance with what, may I ask?

    "There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

  • Amaranthe.3578Amaranthe.3578 Member ✭✭✭

    No. It would be a dumb idea anyways.

  • Lily.1935Lily.1935 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018

    @Elric.4713 said:

    @Lily.1935 said:
    Ritualist really should be its own class. Necromancer players and GW1 players wont be happen if its given to Revenant and Revenant players wont be happy if its given to necromancer. Its a lose lose situation.

    But if it is its own class! Everyone wins! Everyone is happy, no one is sad. Revenants can keep being their martial class without the clunky slow nature of Ritualist and Necromancers can steal the Ritualist's cloths from the wardrobe. YOINK! Mine now!

    Even if they decided to add Ritualist you can forget about it being the same as was in the first game, considering they gave the gameplay to Engineer and theme to Revenant. Most likely it will end up the way Dervish and Paragon did, as a profession for the NPC's with a slight possibility of it being a specialization mentor and sharing some of their knowledge about whatever Rev gets when we go to Cantha.

    I think the biggest issue for A ritualist is finding the right mechanic to make it work. Less so it having similarities to other classes. The best Mechanic that would fit a ritualist that I see in Game is death shroud. It just makes way too much sense as a Ritualist mechanic. Its arguably far better suited for them than it is for necromancer. I suppose you could say Kits could be urns but a shroud as a urn would work too, choosing between specific urns as a swap to choose outside of battle. The toolbelt mechanic really isn't ritualist at all, even if they have mechanical similarities.

    Also, Revenant takes inspiration from a lot of classes, not just ritualist. You see a ton of Assassin and necromancer influence in them. As well as Paragon, Dervish and monk. To say its "Theme is the same as Ritualist" really misses a lot of its design. Revenant is more like Shang Tsung from Mortal combat. Appropriating the abilities of multiple characters/professions. Revenant is really supposed to be a celebration of the Characters and history of Tyria. And Anet should absolutely embrace that identity! Like, seriously! Have the Revenant channel all sorts of unique legends that let them play like a hybrid of every other class in the game.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.