Switched to the 64-bit client. Game is unplayable. What should i do ?

Hello,

I think everyone here is aware of the fact that the 32-bit mac client is no longer usable due to the constant loading screen freezes and crashes which have been an issue since the recent patch update. Therefore, I have decided to look up the users' feedback on the forums and possibly find a solution to the problem. Unfortunately, the only "solution" that I have managed to find here was "delete the 32-bit client, go to the 65-bit kappa". "Ok", I said and proceeded to installing the new updated 64-bit client for mac (You know, this client does not even have the sign "Mac Beta" lol). It's really hard to explain what I have felt after I had a chance to experience the new client.

So basically, the only experience I had with the new client could be described as: constant lags and mini-freezes, improperly loaded textures (or not loaded at all with have been happening a lot), long loading screens. I have tried to reduce the graphics to improve the performance, it did not work out sadly. I mean, the figures show that I have the perfect FPS and PING, although the game still feels like I use the calculator to play it.

Right now it's in fact close to impossible for me to play the game, as the main content I do is PvP, the maps are not loaded, players running around are invisible, I won't even mention the skills animations and all this kind of stuff. It's completely unplayable, especially in plat3 (and I planned to get to the top 100 on EU this season). PvE is also basically closed for me, as the enemies are also invisible, it takes probably good 30-40 mins to fully load the map, yet the majority of objects is still not loaded properly (the mount skins, I have purchased for 1600 gems, too). It's the worst experience I could have imagined for myself. Technically, the only possible way for me to play the game is to use the 64-bit client for the map switching purposes and the 32-bit client (that is functioning totally fine for me, except the impossibility to change the maps) for everything else, which narrows the possible game content experience to the open world roaming.

My mac laptop is rather an old mid 2012 model, and obviously it cannot afford using the 64-bit client (which I believe is not working properly even for the top quality machines, judging by the feedback here). So I have a question. What should I do now ? What are my possible options in that case ? Uninstalling the game, that I have been investing in for 2,5 years ? I do understand that the 32-bit client is no longer supported, however, in that case I think you should give the realistic (read: properly functioning) options to people who purchased this game specifically because of this 32-bit mac client availability. This whole situation (which has been out there since the 6th of March btw) makes me really frustrated as a player and as a customer. I really hope to get some response on the "what should i do now ?" question.

Thank you.(Sorry for the tons of text)

Hi, I suggest you to read the thread Feedback: Guild Wars 2 Mac 64-Bit Client https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/666/feedback-guild-wars-2-mac-64-bit-client#latest. You are not the only one having this issue. I personally experience the same problem, good working game with the 32 bit client, unplayable with the 64 bit client. Many suggest to run the game on a SSD but I know that is kinda frustrating to realise that you have to spend more money on this game. What I do for know is to play the game on Windows 10 via bootcamp. The game runs good, considering that when bootcamping Windows does not use the full ram capacity of macbook it is clear that the problem is the 64-bit mac client version. Until now they have not been able to solve anything.

I've used windows 7bootcamp enough, don't want to go back to it for a mmo seeing GW2 was an escape from that in the first place! GW2 uses <2GB RAM at least on the 32bit client so it definitely should run better than it does, it's not just mac users with issues however I've had many people, friends and contacts in the game with powerful PCs that say they can't play the game smoothly though their specs are tenfold what the game requires at high settings so be wary investing on hardware expecting a huge improvement, the car may be great but you need a good racer to make use of it… Or with a biological analogy you could have the best specimen physically but if their brain is wired poorly what good is that?

1 guildie suggested using WINE 64, saves you getting bootcamp and sacrificing memory, if the mac 64bit is as bad as many say WINE can't be worse at least.

Thanks for the replies, I will try out your suggestions as soon as possible, because playing on the original 64-bit client is a complete joke.These are the most recent screenshots of the 64-bit client gameplay with the lowest graphics possible, ggwp [2].

S_LR3FGhBZY.jpg

jCTv4lyoX4w.jpg

I'm giving up on the mac client. I'm afraid the heat it generates is going to melt my computer. Hell it generates more heat than any other software I use by far on a computer that stays cool even doing the most demanding tasks using all of my 64gb of memory and cores.

I just don't trust Anet Mac programmers.

Sad to hear that but no game is worth changing a computer over or killing your current one. Wow that's a lot of memory, 16x my macbook! It's crazy with your specs the game is still far less playable than it is for me on my 32bit client (Barring the new bug), doesn't encourage me to even try the 64bit client but looks like it's inevitable but indeed I am NOT getting a new machine or forking out for a SSD just to continue this game if it plays anywhere as badly as reported here or if I get heat problems etc.

While not a game breaker I must stress the game's ping is also significantly worse than others I've played too so does suggest there's some efficiency issues with the clients and servers, pity as it's a very good game when it works.

Technically, the only possible way for me to play the game is to use the 64-bit client for the map switching purposes and the 32-bit client (that is functioning totally fine for me, except the impossibility to change the maps) for everything else, which narrows the possible game content experience to the open world roaming.

Hi, I would like to understand how can you do that. I mean, what did you techically do to have both the 32 and the 64-bit client on the Mac, and be able toalternately run them?

@Justin Time.7054 said:

@"Kondor.2904" said:

Technically, the only possible way for me to play the game is to use the 64-bit client for the map switching purposes and the 32-bit client (that is functioning totally fine for me, except the impossibility to change the maps) for everything else, which narrows the possible game content experience to the open world roaming.

Hi, I would like to understand how can you do that. I mean, what did you techically do to have both the 32 and the 64-bit client on the Mac, and be able toalternately run them?

Yo, I actually did not perform any sophisticated actions for that. I initially had the 32-bit client installed on my mac, then I used the https://account.arena.net/welcome link given by the devs to additionally install the 64-bit client. The clients have different names, icons, etc. So I assume that is why you can keep both of them at the same time.

@Kondor.2904 said:

@Kondor.2904 said:So I assume that is why you can keep both of them at the same time.

Yes, I got it now and tried. Main features run well under 64-bi client to me. But, the game crash all of the times I launched it, between a 20-40 minutes range of time after login. Setting it with Best Performance since the login I did not notice differences in speed loading details, enemies, terrain, etc. comparing to 32-bit client. However, I have now the chance to move characters from the area where they are (where) stucked, and that is a consistent improvement to previous situation. So thanks for the advice.I wonder how to solve the crash issue to be able to switch to 64-bit once for all.I also notice this is the same crash timing that already occurred to me a while ago, when I tried the 64-bit client, after main crash issues with 32-bit client trying PoF Demo.

@ShiningSquirrel.3751 said:Just an FYI, I have the EXACT same experience on the 64bit client for Windows running on Win 10 as well and have for a very long time.

That is an issue with Windows 10, not with the game. Read up on how to configure Windows 10 properly, what to deactivate etc. Be aware that you might need to adjust all those settings again after each forced Windows 10 update. Also, try running the game in Compatibility Mode (I suggest the Windows 7 setting).

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@ShiningSquirrel.3751 said:Just an FYI, I have the EXACT same experience on the 64bit client for Windows running on Win 10 as well and have for a very long time.

That is an issue with Windows 10, not with the game. Read up on how to configure Windows 10 properly, what to deactivate etc. Be aware that you might need to adjust all those settings again after each forced Windows 10 update. Also, try running the game in Compatibility Mode (I suggest the Windows 7 setting).

Sorry but your wrong on that one, my windows install is already very optimized as this is what I do for a living. As of the original post I switched back to the 32 bit client and it actually works much better.

@ShiningSquirrel.3751 said:

Sorry but your wrong on that one, my windows install is already very optimized as this is what I do for a living. As of the original post I switched back to the 32 bit client and it actually works much better.

Well, I have no issue whatsoever with the 64-bit client under Windows 7 Pro, so...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

Well, I have no issue whatsoever with the 64-bit client under Windows 7 Pro, so...

And your point? Some people have issues and others do not. If your not having issues then good for you but don't think just because YOU have no issues no one else does. This reminds me of the whole "motion sickness" issue where players said they where fine so everyone is fine also.

Now; I haven't read your entire post, nor the other posts on this thread because I'm in a bit of a hurry. So I don't know if this will be an answer to your question or if someone else has already written about it.

After you switched to 64-bit, did you reinstall the game? If not, that could possibly be why. When you download the game from Anet's site, you're asked to choose which xx-bit client you're using and then you receive whichever version of the download that matches your client. If you downloaded the 32-bit version initially and are now running a 64-bit system, I'm guessing that could cause some problems.

I hope this wasn't one of those things that are "obvious to everyone" and instead hope my answer may have helped in some way.

Best of luck.

@"Evy.2179" said:Now; I haven't read your entire post, nor the other posts on this thread because I'm in a bit of a hurry. So I don't know if this will be an answer to your question or if someone else has already written about it.

After you switched to 64-bit, did you reinstall the game? If not, that could possibly be why. When you download the game from Anet's site, you're asked to choose which xx-bit client you're using and then you receive whichever version of the download that matches your client. If you downloaded the 32-bit version initially and are now running a 64-bit system, I'm guessing that could cause some problems.

I hope this wasn't one of those things that are "obvious to everyone" and instead hope my answer may have helped in some way.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your input. I tried this yesterday. Not much has changed. I'm still experiencing exceptionally long loading screens, and character models remain invisible for quite a long time which makes it hard to play pvp. Although, the issue with the map textures loading and occasional laggs has gotten better over time for some unknown reason. I assume the only realistic solution at the moment is to switch to the SSD, so the issue with the loading times should get resolved.

@Kondor.2904 said:

@"Evy.2179" said:Now; I haven't read your entire post, nor the other posts on this thread because I'm in a bit of a hurry. So I don't know if this will be an answer to your question or if someone else has already written about it.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your input. I tried this yesterday. Not much has changed. I'm still experiencing exceptionally long loading screens, and character models remain invisible for quite a long time which makes it hard to play pvp. Although, the issue with the map textures loading and occasional laggs has gotten better over time for some unknown reason. I assume the only realistic solution at the moment is to switch to the SSD, so the issue with the loading times should get resolved.

Glad to hear that at least something has gotten a bit better!Perhaps whichever disk your Gw2 files are on could be running low on memory? That could be one reason to slow loading times, I suppose. Or maybe your graphics card or even the pc/laptop is is a bit outdated/old?

No either 32bit or 64bit run from the same content so it is a waste of time reinstalling the entire game, or at least the FAQ states that but then being the game and company that it is what is certain with the product… I'd not recommend reinstalling the entire game except as a last resort, idk always seemed a myth to me how reinstalling something would magically fix whatever corruption a program has accumulated from patching but I can't speak for it as I've never reinstalled GW2 and it's 5yrs almost now so it may have accumulated a lot of broken files etc. Anyhow if you still have the 32bit client it's working again, no map swap issues just a little slower I feel than before it was broken.

Archived