Anyone else have this issue/problem?

Joxer.6024

This isn't really profession specific but its what I "main" so here goes....I have an Engi of every race...yea, sad I know. I just cant seem to find a race that really fits for me. Human works but then humans tend to be boring and all so I went Norn, as its one of the least played profs for that race. I try to be a bit out of the "norm" if I can, and my Engi is themed around "The Guyver" as it sort of fits with what a Holosmith does and all. But Norn again, too clunky. They fit a more "Demoman" kind of theme. Tried Charr but just don't like the race, sorry. And of course Asura, but its like every Engi on the planet is an Asura! My Renegade is one and its fun and all, so looking to change it up. I have now rolled a Sylvari in hopes that it might fit my "theme" and all a bit better, we shall see. In the meantime I just thought I would throw it out there as to what others have made/played and enjoy and why.Granted, odds are it wont fix my dilemma but it cant hurt, and its always fun and informative to see what others play and why.Cheers all! ;)

Back in 2012 right at the release I've made a tiny charr engineer in a joke of some sort, unfit for the legions, the joke is indeed on me given that the character still exists with no visual features changes at all, it's by far my most played one and covered in legendaries. The lore came after and the time spent with the character encouraged me to just suck it up and continue. If you put much stock into your characters they can be themed around anything no matter the race.

My engineer life in GW2 started a bit weird. I was bored of playing my thief, because it was squishy and weak although it was level 80 with good gear - I had no clue back then. Engineer looked fun for a couple of reasons, although I discovered the flamethrower a lot later than most others. I liked the idea of dual pistol, as I played my thief. First engineer was a Norn girl named after my old dwarf storage char from another game. Went pretty well till level 80, learned a lot of tricks - still nothing compared to today. However once I outmaxed jeweler on 400 I noticed a grave mistake, wrong race XD. I did countless of experiments with all sorts of racial skills and found out that the human racial skills work best with my play-style. The toolbelt-versions of them are just awesome - support wise. So I deleted the character and started from scratch once again.

I used all the stuff I learned from other characters I played + the stuff from the Norn and reached level 80 in no time. Did not use a single booster or scroll, but gathered as many environmental weapons (storable) as possible. Finding the right stats and adjusting the build was a long process, still goes on. Basic idea behind the engineer always has been, to look like a warrior. Using outfits was never an option. I made a few armor-sets which look like heavy armor, but I kinda stick to my first version for years now. I sort of feel naked when I do not have that look. By now I am no longer using my racial skills in most situations, but I refuse to reroll the engineer. Mostly because of the history of that character. I am sort of a nostalgic person, so I doubt I would enjoy another engineer as much as I enjoy my main.

As I mentioned above, my inventory is nearly half-full with bundles and tonics. I often change my appearance when I feel the need to. Sometimes I turn into a Koda, to look more heavy. When there are beautiful oversized Norn girls in party, I use the supersize potion to mock them. If I am surrounded by Asura I either turn into an inquest-member or shrink in size. While I still stick to the same appearance for nearly 5 years now, I've got a lot of ways to change my appearance. It is a fun way to make the game look less serious ^^.

If you really want to make your engineer themed, be careful with the looks. I made a couple of cosplay characters over the years, even a Link look-a-like holosmith 'barf'. The big problem with those customized looks is, they wear off over time. It sure is a fun idea and looks awesome. But your taste changes over time. I once made DMC3 version of Vergil, with swords and fists. For GW2 measurements it looked ok. I even managed to get the DT issue solved - Revenant. It was fun to play, I enjoyed it for weeks. But once my mind changed a little, the revenant turned into a mule a few weeks later I deleted it.

The reason why I still stick to my main is because I transformed it a lot. I went through several appearances & play-styles. Changed color schemes once in a while, but mostly returned to my standard form. If a character is only set for one look and looks horrible if something is changed, it either gets deleted or ends up as a mule - as all non-engineer characters do ^^. I have tried out every class, every race. Three weeks at best and the buddy serves as a shelf xD.

@"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:

snipped for space but thanks for that reply!! pretty much covers how I feel as well, thus my struggle. But what race is your Engi, you didn't mention or I missed? I went back to human after trying them all. Made it female with an anime sort of theme, for now, as yea, I tend to change my "themes" a lot. But I hate being part of the norm which is why I ventured into the other races (Norn,Sylvari) as they don't seem to be that popular as a Engi. But then there I am standing in LA on my Norn and what is right next to me...another Norn engi!! So yea, no such thing as the "norm" me thinks so I went back to what feels the best, for now. Cheers!! ;)

(duh....found it! "found out that the human racial skills work best with my play-style") ;)

Archived