Why aren't templates a thing yet?

zoopop.5630

GW2 is actually too spaghetti for build templates to exist. That is the actual answer: the code is such a mess that nobody employed at anet can engineer a work-around. They just aren't competent enough and aren't familiar with the game's (15-year-old) engine.

I don't think wvw/pve is really the issue here. The issue is the very limited amount of time before a match starts in spvp that players have to communicate and swap build structures. It doesn't even need to code weapon/armor swaps. That is something that can be done manually, easily enough. What we need is simply save/load specialization selections & utilities. = bam problem solved.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Itz Jay.8941 said:Arc templates have already done it. Not enough people have complained about this, I tried posting about it a couple of times the a friend told me about arc templates so I use that now instead.

Does it work patch to patch though? I mean I would be interested in learning more about this.

Yes, well I only installed it last week. Every patch arcdps stops working, you simply need to delete the .dll for it and download it again from their website and drag and drop it into bin64 of gw2 and it works again. Arc templates however actually worked through the patch, didn't need to update it. If you are worried about installing, there is a thread somewhere you can find about anet approving use of arc templates by the way.

Obviously it's quite strange how anet haven't made their own build templates, but it would take a hell of a lot more coding to actually code it in game. Arc templates is an extension which acts as a macro, so it doesn't interfere the way coding does. So I am happy for now with the approval of arc templates.

@Itz Jay.8941 said:

@Itz Jay.8941 said:Arc templates have already done it. Not enough people have complained about this, I tried posting about it a couple of times the a friend told me about arc templates so I use that now instead.

Does it work patch to patch though? I mean I would be interested in learning more about this.

Yes, well I only installed it last week. Every patch arcdps stops working, you simply need to delete the .dll for it and download it again from their website and drag and drop it into bin64 of gw2 and it works again. Arc templates however actually worked through the patch, didn't need to update it. If you are worried about installing, there is a thread somewhere you can find about anet approving use of arc templates by the way.

Obviously it's quite strange how anet haven't made their own build templates, but it would take a hell of a lot more coding to actually code it in game. Arc templates is an extension which acts as a macro, so it doesn't interfere the way coding does. So I am happy for now with the approval of arc templates.

if u can be kind enough to share link i'll be grateful to you.

@zoopop.5630 said:

if u can be kind enough to share link i'll be grateful to you.

https://www.deltaconnected.com/arcdps/

Scroll to bottom

For arcdps download: d3d9.dll

For build templates download: d3d9_arcdps_buildtemplates.dll

Go to local disc -> program files -> guild wars 2 -> bin64

Drag and drop the downloaded .dll into there

If doing both, drag and drop arcdps first, open gw2, make sure its working, then close gw2. Drag and drop build templates, open gw2, make sure its working.

When I add both at the same time it wont work for me, but if I do one at a time it works fine.

Arcdps = shift+alt+t

Arc templates = shift+alt+d

@Whitworth.7259 said:If they leave it how it is, all you gotta do is go to the gem store, buy more character slots, set each one up for w/e build you want. Boom. Templates. Ez.

It's kinda like how they make meta events which completely fill an inventory up with no extra bag slots.

Releasing mount adoption licenses, then adding tonnes of mounts in during a short duration, but having singular mounts cost multiple times more than an adoption license. So if you buy the adoption licenses you'll actually unlock every mount, then each mount that's added to the game will cost you next to nothing in future, but you'll have to buy each mount.

It's clever business.

@Swagg.9236 said:GW2 is actually too spaghetti for build templates to exist. That is the actual answer: the code is such a mess that nobody employed at anet can engineer a work-around. They just aren't competent enough and aren't familiar with the game's (15-year-old) engine.

If EVE Online can do it with their 1990's era stackless Python frankencode running on a server cluster larger then some ISP's, Anet can figure it out.

@Rhyse.8179 said:

@Swagg.9236 said:GW2 is actually too spaghetti for build templates to exist. That is the actual answer: the code is such a mess that nobody employed at anet can engineer a work-around. They just aren't competent enough and aren't familiar with the game's (15-year-old) engine.

If EVE Online can do it with their 1990's era stackless Python frankencode running on a server cluster larger then some ISP's, Anet can figure it out.

EVE is run by a competent team. Anet is staffed with 1-year interns and devs who didn't have much (or nothing at all) to do with the franchise's original game.

PvP had build templates for a long while as part of the PvP build menu...just it's not configurable.They could leverage this code to be a bit more dynamic using what's already given.

I don't have the code, obviously, but I imagine they could possibly let users pick and choose skills/weapons based on their inventory and save into one of these builds. For PvP, if the weapon doesn't exist anymore in the player's inventory, just warn the user (since Sigils, Runes, and Amulets are already part of the PvP build menu--or just make weapons part of that menu as well).

1LcMPac.png

I know there is risk allowing users to edit files (like where these "Default Builds" are pulling from)...So, I assume that they can implement a system that allows us to edit it in-game instead.

@"LUST.7241" said:PvP had build templates for a long while as part of the PvP build menu...just it's not configurable.They could leverage this code to be a bit more dynamic using what's already given.

I don't have the code, obviously, but I imagine they could possibly let users pick and choose skills/weapons based on their inventory and save into one of these builds. For PvP, if the weapon doesn't exist anymore in the player's inventory, just warn the user (since Sigils, Runes, and Amulets are already part of the PvP build menu--or just make weapons part of that menu as well).

1LcMPac.png

I know there is risk allowing users to edit files (like where these "Default Builds" are pulling from)...So, I assume that they can implement a system that allows us to edit it in-game instead.

The big difference I guess from a dev standpoint is needing to save the builds individually for all players and all their characters (could possibly reach a million records or something) up from 3 for each of the 9 classes, 27.They can’t save these in local files because it needs to be available on any computer you log from.

I think it’s not too big of a stretch though to just put a limit for 3 builds PER CLASS (not character) for each account, to solve those issues.I don’t know anyone who regularly plays more than 3 builds for a single class.

Good feature and should be implemented, one way or another.

@"BeLZedaR.4790" said:

The big difference I guess from a dev standpoint is needing to save the builds individually for all players and all their characters (could possibly reach a million records or something) up from 3 for each of the 9 classes, 27.They can’t save these in local files because it needs to be available on any computer you log from.

I think it’s not too big of a stretch though to just put a limit for 3 builds PER CLASS (not character) for each account, to solve those issues.I don’t know anyone who regularly plays more than 3 builds for a single class.

Good feature and should be implemented, one way or another.

first game exported txt files to a local folder. you have multiple systems that you use? google drive it. if the file isn't in the proper format (aka someone trying to hack something)? doesn't load the file or the profile. you can even put a key in the file that gets exported to show that it came from in game for some sort of security.

transportability isn't an excuse with cheap online storage for users. nor should it be a limiting factor for the devs. it wasn't last time.

Archived