Lets discuss the miserable state of Savage Leap (possibly a bug)

Hitman.5829

I recently complained about the upcoming nerf to Aura Slicer, and as I was calculating damage of the #2 skills, I decided to take a look at savage leap and I was astounded by how crappy this skill is. This skill has base damage of 275 and internal cooldown of 8 sec. If we compare with other #2 skills we see the following:

• Whirling Wrath 8 sec cooldown with 1274 damage. Whirling wrath deals 363.27% more damage than savage leap; additionally Whirling wrath is a 5 target skill.
  • Mighty blow 5 sec cooldown with 706 damage. Mighty blow deals 310.76% more damage than savage leap, additionally Whirling wrath is a 5 target skill.
  • Ghastly Claws 1464 base damage and the ICD is 8 sec. Therefore, Ghastly Claws deals 432% more damage than savage leap.
  • Life Siphon deals 990 damage and the ICD is 12 sec. If we use ratios, then 8 sec is equivalent to 660 damage. Therefore, Life Siphon deals 140% more damage than savage leap. Additionally, Life Siphon deals 20% more damage if bleeding and a base 450 healing.
  • Illusionary Counter deals 367 direct damage + 880 condition damage for a total of 1247 damage minimum and the ICD is 8 sec. Therefore, Illusionary Counter deals 353.45% more damage than savage leap. Additionally, Illusionary Counter blocks and evades.
  • Blurred Frenzy deals 1760 damage and the ICD is 12 sec. If we use ratios then, 8 sec is equivalent to 1173 damage. Therefore, Blurred Frenzy deals 327% more damage than savage leap. Additionally, Blurred Frenzy evades all attacks and can hit 3 targets.
  • Dragon's Tooth deals 825 direct damage + 1310 condition damage for a total of 2135 damage. If we use ratios, then 8 sec is equal to 2847 damage, therefore, dragon's tooth deals 935% more damage than savage leap. Additionally, Dragon's Tooth hits 5 targets.
  • And Many more #2 skills, but I don't have the time to calculate all of them and post them here.

I would like to think that some developer accidentally miss typed the damage of this skill. By the looks of it, I think that the damage of savage leap was meant to be 1275 and not 275.It would be nice if developers could take a look at this and also I would like to suggest a cooldown reduction from 8 sec to 6 seconds to synergy with fast hands.

@Juba.8406 said:Just make it an Ammo type skill with 2 charges and its fine.

No need to buff the damage, just enforce the utility of the skill.

By the looks of it, the damage of savage leap seems to be a typed mistake. If the damage of this skill is intended, then it needs to be updated to a more reasonable damage.It would be nice if someone could make a computer program to compare same tier skills to spot under-performed skills.

@Juba.8406 said:Just make it an Ammo type skill with 2 charges and its fine.

No need to buff the damage, just enforce the utility of the skill.

I like the suggestion to make savage leap an ammo skill with 2 charges. But we are going to get a 33% damage up in the up coming patch, and there are some other buff to sword MH as well, we will see how things turn out.

@"MyPuppy.8970" said:Does anyone ever gets hit by dragon tooth outside of downstate? If you want to make a better comparison, compare it with polaric leap.

I would say polaric leap is also a developer mistype. I think the damage was meant to be 1121 instead of 121.If you look at all the #2 skills, the damage changes depending on how many "extra" things the skills does, but the damage is consistently in the 700 to 1500 range.I think it is ok to assume these two skills have a mistype in their damage.

The problem with Savage Leap is that it doesn't lead to damage when used with sword on its own. Especially not sword/sword. And if sword doesn't do damage, it can't even trigger final thrust properly as a standalone set. Which makes sword basically as useful as staff on necro, only there for utility and not there for being an actual weapon.

Which is pretty much the worst thing ever in terms of warrior themes.

It'd probably be better to switch Final Thrust (basically what all sword warrior's should end at) with flurry. The new Final Thrust, as a burst skill, would do power damage per stack of bleeding and torment on the target, and consuming them. If the target is under 50%, it doesn't consume the stacks and does more damage.

Flurry, as the new Sword 3, would do bleeding AND torment, 4 of each over the channel period. It will no longer immobolize, but instead it becomes mobile.Also, a slight adjustment to Riposte would cause it to use Disarm (like gw1) which sets all weapon skills on the target on a 3 second cooldown.
Also, Impale is no longer ranged, it's just a melee cleave attack that pulses cripple and torment, then just make Rip trigger on crippled targets. Maybe name it differently, like Rip and Tear (you know like Doom)?

All the times I use the skill offensively and not as a kiting leap to run away, the skill seems never hit my target, but fails always. I dunno if it a bug or something but the skill seems so clunky, you leap against your target, the sword "strikes" but no damage comes out of it most of the times.I don't think the upcoming buffs to sword damage they want to do, will make the sword viable for power builds.Sword is just good for berserker condi and nothing more.Even the skill 3 is so low and clunky that fails to land half of the times for me.

@"whoknocks.4935" said:All the times I use the skill offensively and not as a kiting leap to run away, the skill seems never hit my target, but fails always. I dunno if it a bug or something but the skill seems so clunky, you leap against your target, the sword "strikes" but no damage comes out of it most of the times.I don't think the upcoming buffs to sword damage they want to do, will make the sword viable for power builds.Sword is just good for berserker condi and nothing more.Even the skill 3 is so low and clunky that fails to land half of the times for me.

ive succesfully roamed with power warrior with gs sword/shield and its rly not good for duelling, because you cant burst as much as with axe, but for roaming and small scale scirmishes its a pretty good weapon to quickly get in and out, so these buffs will definately helpalso, yes the animation is a bit clunky, but it not hitting most of the time is not rly true, it just does like no dmg, even will full zerk and crit it does like 1,5k dmg maybe you just expected higher numbers

@RedShark.9548 said:

@"whoknocks.4935" said:All the times I use the skill offensively and not as a kiting leap to run away, the skill seems never hit my target, but fails always. I dunno if it a bug or something but the skill seems so clunky, you leap against your target, the sword "strikes" but no damage comes out of it most of the times.I don't think the upcoming buffs to sword damage they want to do, will make the sword viable for power builds.Sword is just good for berserker condi and nothing more.Even the skill 3 is so low and clunky that fails to land half of the times for me.

ive succesfully roamed with power warrior with gs sword/shield and its rly not good for duelling, because you cant burst as much as with axe, but for roaming and small scale scirmishes its a pretty good weapon to quickly get in and out, so these buffs will definately helpalso, yes the animation is a bit clunky, but it not hitting most of the time is not rly true, it just does like no dmg, even will full zerk and crit it does like 1,5k dmg maybe you just expected higher numbers

Nope, sometimes I leap to the target and does not hit it, same as when you are out of range, but I'm sure to use it on range, feel so clunky in general.Good as escape tool or gap closer yeah, but the animation of sword2 and sword3 should be reworked in my opinion.

Archived