API temporarily disabled (Sept 22-25)

Lawton Campbell.8517

Lawton, is it possible for you guys to have a mirror api web server before big updates? There's a plethora of websites which simply won't work without them, and while I sincerely understand shoot happens in live, it would be cool to have a backup of sorts... at least for static endpoints such as items, traits and skills. There's quite a lot of popular build websites which break without them.

@cthos.3791 said:Hey, thanks for letting us know!

This exposed that I'm not properly handling the API being down in my app which I'm now fixing, and I don't know that I'd have properly caught it if the API didn't explode.

Good luck and remember to take breaks and stuff!:+1:

What does your app do btw?

@Valento.9852 said:Lawton, is it possible for you guys to have a mirror api web server before big updates? There's a plethora of websites which simply won't work without them, and while I sincerely understand shoot happens in live, it would be cool to have a backup of sorts... at least for static endpoints such as items, traits and skills. There's quite a lot of popular build websites which break without them.

Bump to this! ^Quite a few websites are basically unusable without this.Would be fabulous to have even an outdated mirror, until the new/fixed one kicks in.

@Vegeta.2563 said:

@cthos.3791 said:Hey, thanks for letting us know!

This exposed that I'm not properly handling the API being down in my app which I'm now fixing, and I don't know that I'd have properly caught it if the API didn't explode.

Good luck and remember to take breaks and stuff!:+1:

What does your app do btw?

It's a mobile character viewer app for iOS. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gw2-assistant/id1206531672?ls=1&mt=8

I open sourced the v1 of it since I'm about 95% done updating the whole thing to Ionic 3, but I don't really have a lot of time to work on it. :/

v1 source is here: https://github.com/cthos/gw2-ionic

@Valento.9852 said:Lawton, is it possible for you guys to have a mirror api web server before big updates? There's a plethora of websites which simply won't work without them, and while I sincerely understand shoot happens in live, it would be cool to have a backup of sorts... at least for static endpoints such as items, traits and skills. There's quite a lot of popular build websites which break without them.

A better solution would be to have some local cache in the API-client for the data that the API-client wants to serve offline (when the API is not responding). An API-client/website should always be prepared that API-calls do not work.

Archived