metabattle builds

Oriens.5630

Does anyone else have issues with the metabattle builds? Of course, I mean after you have played it for a while and gotten to grips with the rotations and mechanics. I bring it up because I have spoken with other players that have had issues with the builds there and I've noticed that the reviews for WvW and sPvP builds tend to consist of just a few ratings at the bottom of the page.

Do the builds solidly rest on the premise of complete Ascended gear sets?

Do most people using these builds actually end up tweaking them?

NB: I do understand that this could just be my lack of ability. It's actually why I am asking.

The short story is that MB builds almost always need some tweaking to fit your needs. Builds that work fine for roaming solo aren't necessarily suited for 4-person havoc. Zerg-oriented builds depend on the zerg (mostly PUGs? organized guild? mix of the two?). Plus, some people are good at self-canceling skills to get more efficient rotations, some are better at anticipating their foes, some good at active defense. Don't assume that the build you borrow from MB is designed to work for you.

For a variety of reasons, MetaBattle builds will never have all that many ratings, so don't worry about that. The main thing to look at is whether the build has been validated by one of the curators. Builds tagged as "meta" always are. I believe that anything tagged a 'great' would also have been reviewed by a curator.

Curated builds have been vetted by experts, who would consider how much Ascended matters, the food, and other details. The curators look at what they see being discussed, what they recommend, what they see being used in game, and so on. For "meta", it's a little trickier, especially in WvW, because I don't think anyone really can say what the meta is. EU & NA tend to have different styles, and various "hardcore guilds" each run builds that work in tandem with each other. Those are all "meta," but different.

And even if none of that was true, your own playstyle matters more than most guides acknowledge. For example, most "experts" agree that the raid or fractal builds from SnowCrows or Discretize work great in open world (and they do), they are designed to work in synergistic teams of 5, not solo play. So a lot of people would be better off playing something less rigorous, for example GCE's infamous recommended Open World builds.

And in WvW, your style matters more, because you need to be able to run your own build while dealing with someone running their own. (or a lot of someones)

In short: assume you need to tweak the builds on MB. Make sure you pay attention with what the build is designed to do and how it accomplishes that. Add more durability or more DPS or more control, depending on how you roll.

@Oriens.5630 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:the more you are the less damage you need to kill the enemy. the less you are the more damage you ought to have to kill the tanks.

yin yang =)

I'm sorry, but when you say 'the more you are', what are you referring to?Thanks for the replies.

ex. you are 3 in a team vs 15. go damageif you are 15 vs 3, doesnt matter if you are tanky, you can kill.

thus, if you find yourself in eitr situation or in its proportion, you adjust the build to either damage or tanky.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:the more you are the less damage you need to kill the enemy. the less you are the more damage you ought to have to kill the tanks.

yin yang =)

I'm sorry, but when you say 'the more you are', what are you referring to?Thanks for the replies.

ex. you are 3 in a team vs 15. go damageif you are 15 vs 3, doesnt matter if you are tanky, you can kill.

thus, if you find yourself in eitr situation or in its proportion, you adjust the build to either damage or tanky.

Gotcha! thanks again.

If I start a new class (one that I haven't played or played a long time ago) say for instance engineer, I'll look at all of the "metas" read the playstyle portion and the comments. This shows me more of less what the synergies are. Then I change stuff to suit my personal situation and playstyle. For instance on my mesmer pretty much EVERYONE uses staff... I hate staff, for me it's a no go, just personal preference. So I change the build to suit another weapon and attempt to keep the synergies and even add more.

What kinds of issues? I don't really understand what you are asking.

Do the builds solidly rest on the premise of complete Ascended gear sets?Maybe. A lot of stat optimization goes into gearing. That said, you can still do a lot with exotic gear and a good knowledge of the skills and traits against someone with ascended who doesn't really know the build.

Do most people using these builds actually end up tweaking them?Probably. If something isn't working, it would be insane to keep doing the same thing over again and not make modifications.

@"Oriens.5630" said:Does anyone else have issues with the metabattle builds? Of course, I mean after you have played it for a while and gotten to grips with the rotations and mechanics. I bring it up because I have spoken with other players that have had issues with the builds there and I've noticed that the reviews for WvW and sPvP builds tend to consist of just a few ratings at the bottom of the page.

Do the builds solidly rest on the premise of complete Ascended gear sets?

Do most people using these builds actually end up tweaking them?

NB: I do understand that this could just be my lack of ability. It's actually why I am asking.

I find that many builds don't fit for me in wvw so usually i look also on youtube/twitch for other players . For spvp the thing is different becouse there are far less stats, you can not mix stats as in wvw and there is no food so metabattle build are more optimized. Take mesmer for example : sword sword /staff is great for spvp but for wvw in my opinion torch is better than offhand sword in outnumbered fights . I also find gs better than staff in wvw even if i prefer staff all the day long ( i really don't like gs ) . In wvw there are more builds viable for roaming, dueling , blobbing for every class, instead in spvp the "meta" is usually the most optimized build and at the same skill level the meta build can make the difference, thing not true in wvw imho . Probably in wvw you have to take less care of meta ..

@Pelto.9364 said:Metabattle builds are not noob builds. The builds expect the player to be a top skilled player.Thanks for the laugh!

60% of the metabattle builds are noob carry builds (Druid, Warrior, Mesmer, Firebrand... - all low risk high reward) and work more or less in every team comp.

20% are builds that don't require much skill but just work in a 5 man premade team for different reasons (a lot of necro builds due to sustain issues when focused and a lot of thief builds due to the decap and +1 role which often does not work in a PUG).

10% are builds that require skill and work in solo queue.

10% are pure trash and work only in NA (e.g. Well Reaper).

To understand this it is important to know the origin of the builds. These are mostly builds that are seen in successful tournament teams. A player who is new to the game just can not know how they perform in solo Q and may be frustrated.

Metabattle has great builds and an extremely attractive WvW admin :astonished:

Definitely use Metabattle builds to start with, there are things you can take further (e.g. slotting more damage, slotting more defense etc) but for the most part these are the builds that most people run and expect you to run for the class.

Once you have a clear understanding of ePower, eHP, trait synergies, class niches etc you can really tweak a lot of them to your own liking, but as they stand they are perfect for pug gameplay, focusing mainly on a 10-15+ zerg scenario in the main section and focusing on solo/group roaming in the roaming section.

Those wvw builds on metabattle are outdated af. If you are a wvw roamer make your own build dont rely on metabattle or any other site. For zerg build ask your guildies. If you dont know your class well enough to make your own build you should watch some roaming videos of popular gw2 youtubers / twitch streamers.

@Justine.6351 said:

@Pelto.9364 said:Metabattle builds are not noob builds. The builds expect the player to be a top skilled player.

They are noob builds.

Hammer Rev was using marauder gear and air/fire sigils on the hammer at one time...

And it's still noob build with that toughness from pips trait instead of the infuse light trait.Zerg commanders accept guard/necro/war and revs without any regards to builds or skill with that class anyway, so its not like it matters. If you die you are a rallybot, but few complain about anything else.

The only time I have seen people bitch about traits is bigger circles on guards. I used to run with it just to spite commanders.

Archived