Suggestion: Traveling Aid Worker Sya

Zola.6197

I’ve always felt Sya was an interesting character that ended up being relatively squandered. She’s an aid worker, so it’d make sense for her to follow the plot to help those in need during times of crisis. Even if she’s just a background NPC with incidental dialogue, I think it’d add a dash of realism to the living story if we saw snippets of mainland Tyria reacting to problems elsewhere in the world.

Alternatively, give her a new role in LA. Make her a manager of her relief organization and have dialogue concerning the shipment of supplies to places all over the world that need them. And then maybe seeing the field workers of said organization dropped into maps to add an extra touch?

I just think she deserves more than being chained to a rock in Lions arch for all eternity lol.

@Danikat.8537 said:Considering she's also a member of the Order of Whispers getting involved in current events would make complete sense. And it would be nice to see more character reappearing during the storyline, even minor ones.

Not quite. The two factions are at odds, Order of Shadows doesn't play well with Whispers due to internal dispute that hasn't been resolved yet.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Order_of_Whispers_Mission_Dispatches

Saying that the Order of Whispers doesn't get along with the Order of Shadows appears to be an understatement. Still, why are we targeting Sya specifically? I never played LS1, so as far as I know she's just a background token transgender and I would never have known about her if people didn't point her out in lore discussions. Is that the sort of character who needs to be mentioned?

@"Westenev.5289" said:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Order_of_Whispers_Mission_Dispatches

Saying that the Order of Whispers doesn't get along with the Order of Shadows appears to be an understatement. Still, why are we targeting Sya specifically? I never played LS1, so as far as I know she's just a background token transgender and I would never have known about her if people didn't point her out in lore discussions. Is that the sort of character who needs to be mentioned?

I think she's interesting, so yes, for me that's reason enough to bring her up. On that same thread you point out, is there a reason I shouldn't?

@"Svennis.3852" said:

@"Westenev.5289" said:

I think she's interesting, so yes, for me that's reason enough to bring her up. On that same thread you point out, is there a reason I shouldn't?

You're free to care about who you like - but as far as I'm concerned, I don't know who she is, and I'm sure the majority of people who never played LS1 wouldn't either. Adding her into the story just wouldn't have any effect for me, since most of "his" characterisation is now deleted content. This is a shame because based on the wiki recap it could have been a cool callback, but it is what it is.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aid_Worker_Sya

@TexZero.7910 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Considering she's also a member of the Order of Whispers getting involved in current events would make complete sense. And it would be nice to see more character reappearing during the storyline, even minor ones.

Not quite. The two factions are at odds, Order of Shadows doesn't play well with Whispers due to internal dispute that hasn't been resolved yet.

The Order of Whispers are spies - infiltrating groups who don't get along with them is what they do. Saying they wouldn't have people in Elona because of the conflict with the Order of Shadows is like saying the CIA wouldn't have people in Russia during the cold war because they didn't get along with the Russian government. Of course the OoW also have spies in allied organisations (even the Vigil and Priory) and seemingly everywhere else, but I suspect that's also normal for spies. Plus right from when the game was released (and possibly before) it was strongly implied that the OoW still maintained contact with Elona. No one knew how with 2 dragons in the way, but apparently they managed it.

Of course it may be different because their history with the Order of Shadows is so direct, and maybe more importantly because I assume they'd be very familiar with the OoW methods and more likely to spot their agents. But that just means they need to be more careful than usual.

@"Westenev.5289" said:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Order_of_Whispers_Mission_Dispatches

To me that kind of thing is exactly why background characters should appear more. You don't have to have played Cutthroat Politics to know who Kiel is, or Secrets of Southsun to know about Hero-tron, and that's because those characters continued to be part of the story. Of course they can't put every minor character into every release, but it would be nice if more of them could come back into the story as and when it makes sense. Even if they were just in place of some of the generic NPCs and didn't have any special dialogue.

In some cases it may be more hassle than it's worth. For example I'd love to see more of Crusader Deborah but they couldn't put her in without special dialogue for human characters who chose the Dead Sister story step, and it may be that people who chose that one and care about the story are a small enough minority that it's just not worth the hassle. But with characters like Sya where she'd say the same things to everyone that shouldn't be a problem.

@Danikat.8537 said:

The Order of Whispers are spies - infiltrating groups who don't get along with them is what they do. Saying they wouldn't have people in Elona because of the conflict with the Order of Shadows is like saying the CIA wouldn't have people in Russia during the cold war because they didn't get along with the Russian government. Of course the OoW also have spies in allied organisations (even the Vigil and Priory) and seemingly everywhere else, but I suspect that's also normal for spies. Plus right from when the game was released (and possibly before) it was strongly implied that the OoW still maintained contact with Elona. No one knew how with 2 dragons in the way, but apparently they managed it.

Of course it may be different because their history with the Order of Shadows is so direct, and maybe more importantly because I assume they'd be very familiar with the OoW methods and more likely to spot their agents. But that just means they need to be more careful than usual.

@"Westenev.5289" said:

To me that kind of thing is exactly why background characters should appear more. You don't have to have played Cutthroat Politics to know who Kiel is, or Secrets of Southsun to know about Hero-tron, and that's because those characters continued to be part of the story. Of course they can't put every minor character into every release, but it would be nice if more of them could come back into the story as and when it makes sense. Even if they were just in place of some of the generic NPCs and didn't have any special dialogue.

In some cases it may be more hassle than it's worth. For example I'd love to see more of Crusader Deborah but they couldn't put her in without special dialogue for human characters who chose the Dead Sister story step, and it may be that people who chose that one and care about the story are a small enough minority that it's just not worth the hassle. But with characters like Sya where she'd say the same things to everyone that shouldn't be a problem.

I'd love to see more characters like Crusader Deborah - she's a character anyone who has played Human "missing sister" could recognise from the core story. I just think that any significance of bringing back LS1 characters would be a lost on any player who didn't play LS1.

Archived