HA HA! You've been tricked! Praise Joko!

ANet...don't you think you've gone a little overboard with the ambushes? Not sure if it affects other maps the same, or if it's a setting specific to Sandswept Isles...but I was in a map in where there were 6 ambushes in a row for Crystalwing before it finally spawned. 2 out of the 4 bounties I tried starting myself resulted in ambushes. Ambushes happening every once in a while is amusing. But this is just obnoxious.

• 2 weeks later...

It is past time to get rid of this mechanic. It was a decent concept that just doesnt work in game. It is less challenging than the actual bounty it replaces, it gets in the way of achievements and, if someone triggers it and runs away, it stops the bounty from respawning on the board.

11 days ago they posted that the spawn rate was too high and that they would be adjusting it. I personally would have preferred to see them prioritising and pushing the fix for this (and the other bugs) a lot earlier as I've seen it cause a serious amount of frustration in game but they haven't. Hopefully there'll be a patch next week.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/32221/upcoming-bug-fixes/p1

@"Pifil.5193" said:11 days ago they posted that the spawn rate was too high and that they would be adjusting it. I personally would have preferred to see them prioritising and pushing the fix for this (and the other bugs) a lot earlier as I've seen it cause a serious amount of frustration in game but they haven't. Hopefully there'll be a patch next week.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/32221/upcoming-bug-fixes/p1

There are progression blocking bugs like disabled fishing event or unavailable Mount Maelstrom mastery point which need quicker fixes than this. The fact it's going to be like 3 weeks of bugs is unprofessional.

Well, obviously I'm in the minority here but I happen to like the mechanic...after all, if I was attempting to stop someone from disrupting my plans I'd be pulling out all the stops and trying at every opportunity possible...especially if I knew it was something that person did all the time.

@"Zaklex.6308" said:Well, obviously I'm in the minority here but I happen to like the mechanic...after all, if I was attempting to stop someone from disrupting my plans I'd be pulling out all the stops and trying at every opportunity possible...especially if I knew it was something that person did all the time.

"Thank you loyal subject. My ambushes have created millions of jobs for our Awakened soldiers. You can't say the same of Old Man Ossa, can you?"-@realpalawajoko

I don't like the ambush mechanic. It is a poorly thought out way to try to artificially extend the content. All that it did is make me take about 75% longer to get each bounty finished once for the achievement and now that that is done I plan to never do another bounty on that map again as long as there are ambushes.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Pifil.5193" said:11 days ago they posted that the spawn rate was too high and that they would be adjusting it. I personally would have preferred to see them prioritising and pushing the fix for this (and the other bugs) a lot earlier as I've seen it cause a serious amount of frustration in game but they haven't. Hopefully there'll be a patch next week.

There are progression blocking bugs like disabled fishing event or unavailable Mount Maelstrom mastery point which need quicker fixes than this. The fact it's going to be like 3 weeks of bugs is unprofessional.They
could
have just disabled ambushes until they think of a way to make the situation better.

yeah, I'm not much of a fan of this mechanic either. tried to get Ironshell in the Sandswept Isles and finally quit after 7 consecutive ambushes. Had the same thing happen in Domain of Istan too but there the squad disbanded after 5 consecutive attempts. They really need to do something about this. I think if an ambush has happened it ought to greatly increase the likelihood of the actual bounty appearing the second time, and a guarantee on the third after 2 consecutive ambushes.

Personally I think the ambush mechanic could be done better because Bounties already have a randomization mechanic that can work just fine - Ley Line instabilities.

Instead of having Ambushes in the new map, why not have Ambushes as a new Ley Line instability that any bounty boss can have that has them spawn big waves of Awakened on an interval? This adds new content to Elona and gets rid of the achievement blocking.

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:squad disbanded after 5 consecutive attempts

This is the part that makes it so bad, when you get several ambushes in a row squads tend to get demoralized and break up., you sometimes have to join up with 3-4 different bounty trains before you finally get the bounty you've been needing, because they break up when they get too frustrated with ambushes. I feel like developers relish in frustrating players intentionally because there are no negative consequences for them for doing so.

What is the point of this mechanic exactly? I have a feeling that nobody at Anet asked themselves this before going ahead with it. I’ll tell you what this mechanic is: anti-fun

Nobody likes having the rug pulled out from under them like that. It has got to go.

@Devildoc.6721 said:

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:squad disbanded after 5 consecutive attempts

This is the part that makes it so bad, when you get several ambushes in a row squads tend to get demoralized and break up., you sometimes have to join up with 3-4 different bounty trains before you finally get the bounty you've been needing, because they break up when they get too frustrated with ambushes. I feel like developers relish in frustrating players intentionally because there are no negative consequences for them for doing so.

Well I guess people playing less and spending less money might be a consequence. I'm still working on an alt atm and stalled out in the Orr part of the personal story, thankfully I haven't had the pleasure but something like what you guys are experiencing would just inspire me to do something else with my time.

An ambush mechanic could have been a great addition to the bounties, maybe if it replaced one of the Unstable Magic Abilities with one that summons waves of additional Awakened adds during the fight (properly scaled for the player numbers, of course). Replacing the bounties you expect with a few champs well, I don't think it's all that fun, it's not what people wanted when they go for a bounty and that's especially frustrating when it's required for an achievement, I've seen groups of abandoned ambush Awakened all over the map.

Maybe if the current mechanism was an April's fool joke it would have been OK.

Archived