Map currency, Map rewards, and Season-wide consistency — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Map currency, Map rewards, and Season-wide consistency

With LS4E2, we see the introduction of diflourite crystals - a map-specific consumable pseudo-currency reminiscent of those seen in LS3. Along with this, we see the Diflourite ring and accessory, as well as a number of other interesting rewards (such as the relocator, the new backpack/inventory bag, and a few new weapon skins). This change from the previous map's rewards raises a few questions:

• Is this the style of rewards we can expect from living world maps in the forseeable future?
  • Was Kralkatite in the Domain of Istan intended to be such a drastic depature from this formula
  • the ascended Diflourite trinkets have access to PoF stat combinations instead of HoT combinations, as one might expect. but certain core-tyria stat combos are also apparently missing from them. Is this intended, and if so, why?
  • For IG-6417 and the Olmakhan backpacks, do you feel that you've found a good mix between treasure-hunt and interesting story?
  • This is the first Living World map we've had since before HoT where the map item (diflourite crystals) requires the same gathering tool as the previous map's (Kralkatite Ore), rather than following the Pick -> Axe -> Sickle cycle. Is this another indication that the reward structure in The Domain of Istan was a more experimental one?

Personally, I'm a big fan of the reward structures in this episode. Diflourite Crystals feel like a great return to the LS3-style psuedo currencies, and the various min-quests manage to feel engaging, despite seeming being a relative straight forward fetch-quest system (I suspect that comes down, in large part, to the story woven around them, as well as the characters involved.)

Comments

• @Gray.9041 said:

• Was Kralkatite in the Domain of Istan intended to be such a drastic depature from this formula

Can you go into more detail as to why you feel that K-ore was a "drastic departure" from the formula?

For me, it's an evolution of the Carnival Weapon set acquisition method from LS3.2. That set cost 1700 gold, which could be reduced by 10% via Circus Vouchers, requiring completing the nearby heart numerous times. Similarly, Astral & Stellar weapons use K-ore, which creates a different type of incentive to return to Istan to farm it. (I'm not pleased with the amount of ore required, especially since even the recipes cost some, but I think the idea is reasonably sound.)

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Gray.9041Gray.9041 Member ✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    Can you go into more detail as to why you feel that K-ore was a "drastic departure" from the formula?

Yes.

Firstly, I don't have an issue with the new weapon sets from that map - I think they're pretty neat. however:

• Kralkatite Ore didn't spawn in standard nodes, only in dynamic, weirdly interactive spots at semi-random times.
    • Kralkatite Ore consumes for something like 3-6 Volatile Magic, while all other pseudo-currencies give 20-50. (rough numbers)
    • Kralkatite Ore is the only psuedo-currency that can't be used to buy ascended trinkets.
  • Assic.2746Assic.2746 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2018

Maybe ANet don't want us to salvage Kralkatite since it's a crafting material for solar weapons that can't be bought on TP.

• Is there any reason why legendary bounties on the new maps are the only ones in the game that don't give elegy mosaics? Is this intended or were they just forgotten about?

• Blackarps.1974Blackarps.1974 Member ✭✭✭

In addition to the OP, how come nodes don't give the same amounts of map currencies? For example why do some ascended trinkets cost say 400 winterberries but then the next map comes out and it only cost 100 of that new currency. Why didn't you just make them consistent across all maps? Just make events and nodes give roughly the same amount of currencies per map. Its not a huge deal but I would like some insight on this as I'm always waypointing to get a new trinket only to realize I need another 100+ of the currency to buy it.

• @Gray.9041 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Yes.

Firstly, I don't have an issue with the new weapon sets from that map - I think they're pretty neat. however:

• Kralkatite Ore didn't spawn in standard nodes, only in dynamic, weirdly interactive spots at semi-random times.
    • Kralkatite Ore consumes for something like 3-6 Volatile Magic, while all other pseudo-currencies give 20-50. (rough numbers)
    • Kralkatite Ore is the only psuedo-currency that can't be used to buy ascended trinkets.

Ah okay. I agree with those critiques.

I just don't think of the first two as "drastic" departures from their use.

• I thought of the first as a poor implementation of the mastery: it shouldn't cost resources to progress a mastery, unless it simplifies things (in this case, the more skills you get, the more trouble it is to harvest, even if the efficiency goes up). It's a mess.
    • The second is really odd: k-ore is harder to harvest, so shouldn't it give more v-magic?
    • And the third, yeah, it's odd that there aren't ascended trinkets. Although this doesn't bother me nearly as much as the other two.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.