pve thief advice

hey all been playing this game for a while now,i have an 80 core warrior which I'm currently doing pof story with, however ive always wanted to do full map completion from core all the way to new lw zones on a thief, I just wondered if anyone had done this and can give advise on builds and difficulty as I don't want to get annoyed part way through because I keep dying. ive heard negative comments about the caudecus fight for eg. I know player skill level has an impact but this is something ive always wanted to do but never got round to fully investing my time in. ty for any advise you gus can give!!

I suppose you have access to at least Deadeye (since you doing PoF story). I prefer both DE and DD to core Thief, tho you can do everything with core Thief class too if you really want.

Core game content is pretty easy for every class. Doing older HoT and PoF maps is kind of problem since these require large groups of players for some areas, and depending on the time you play, they can be fairly empty with no other players around for hours.

Most of the story bosses can be finished with every character, of course some can be quite long and repetitive when doing solo. They usually have specific actions you need to learn and use at correct time, followed by dps phase. Luckily single target dps is one of Thief's strengths. Other being plenty of stealth.

Thief is great in exploring and solo fighting because of decent burst dps for open world stuff, proper crowd controls and awesome mobility. And if a fight really gets tight, you can escape most of the times.

In my opinion, it's the best class for that kind of stuff. I always use my thief when I go farming. It's no surprise that you will mainly see thieves in The Silverwastes.

I use mainly berserker stats, with 2 or 3 items valkyrie, and scholar runes, pretty much standard. Weapons are staff and double pistols.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAW6al8MhinYjTwwJw+EL/E28/rA+A9GCThnw2YKA8fA-e

I keep all skills as shown in the build and only change Haste to Shadow Step of Shadow Refuge when necessary. I love Haste when using my staff because you get no quickness when soloing, it also breaks stuns and gives you swiftness. Before mounts, I mainly used Shadow Step, but with a Jackal, I feel fast enough. I mostly run with Thieves Guild as elite because these guys quickly cc any breakbar and draw aggro, and since you are solo most of the time, Basilisk Venom is less powerful. Impact Strike is also a viable pick because it has a lower cool down than Thieves guild. I use it for soloing mobs with lots of health and breakbars, anything else dies before the thieves vanish. Signet of Agility is a must for cleansing conditions and also for refreshing your endurance. I trait Unhindered Combatant for...well...unhindered movement. You can basically perma-dash through maps (when you cannot mount up). I also trait Invigorating Precision all the time, remember, you'll be alone in most encounters.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scoop_of_Mintberry_Swirl_Ice_Cream

That's the food I use 95% of the time in open world. I have about 14k health and get healed when I shoot. The only fights where that doesn't work are with those mobs that get invulnerable or block projectiles, or evade most of the attack, like veteran karkas. Also chak vets are a PITA.

Another build I have lots of fun with in open world is Rifle Deadeye. I keep critical strikes and trickery as is and replace daredevil with deadeye 1 - 1 - 2. It's very powerful against champs, I got the golem HP in VB down to 37% alone before he just disengaged and refilled his health pool immediately, because apparently, I got too far away from him. It's possible to kill most stuff while kneeling at max range before it even reaches you. In a HP run in TD, my deadeye was top dps without even stepping into the danger zone. It can happen though that you get aggro and the champ rushes right onto you ^^

I'm missing Unhindered Combatant when playing deadeye, but mounts make up for it. Also, cleave is kind of weak, but in open world, that's fine.

edit: you might wanna check out the thief's section of the forums.

Thief is great for exploration and fighting mobs ( story + openworld ).I suggest you to make good use of stealth and additional thieves ( Ambush trap and Thieves Guild Elite ) + improvvisation trait ( Which is on the last tier of Deatly Art Tree ).

You can go both Power and Condition ( even though i suggest you power, because is way more fun than condition, since you have less health and you have to land strikes instead of random spam aoe conditions like a kid ).

Daredevil imho is the best choice ( try to learn how to fight more enemies and making a good use of your evades from staff and dodge ), but also core sword/dagger could be interesting. Dagger/Pistol is also good, but i recommend it for SPvP more than PvE.

As for food, i prefer a cheap health regen food, because your dmg outcome is high as hell.

I really loved Sword/Pistol while leveling/exploring my thief years ago, you've got stun and cleave, a smoke field to blind multiple enemies, a shadowstep with sword 2. it was pretty good for world completing.Dagger/Pistol would also work, giving you access to stealth whenever with smoke field and leap.Shortbow is great for mobility too.

I would hands down recommend Daredevil, purely for Unhindered Combatant, removing movement imparing conditions, grants swiftness and reduces damage for a short period after dodge. Great use to skip past enemies you don't want to waste your time killing (because you can't mount up in combat) :P

Archived