cMirage is Super Fun!

Aorin.9168

I am a casual player, mostly solo open world, the occasional dungeon or low level fractal, but even those I havent done in a long while. I have 80's of every class, and Condi Mirage is by far the most fun build I have played. It's like merging mesmer, thief and berserker together. I dont even have all the skills unlocked yet and I'm already in love with it.

I don't know about the raid viability and how this will fare with the "meta" builds, but as far as playing a game for personal enjoyment goes, it hit the mark for me.

Thank you, Anet, for this very fun elite spec.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure sounds like it checks out with my expectations of it: a fun toy for messing around in completely unserious PvE content, and worthless for anything outside of that.

I haven't touched it outside the demo, which was more than enough, and won't until it's completely redesigned. As it is, our past, present, and future is written in stone: Chrono two years ago, Chrono now, Chrono apparently forever.

I enjoy how engaging it is, how many tools exist in the entire kit. I really like the mobility of all the shadowstep skills, the "now you see me, now you don't" stealth factor; how easy it is to apply multiple stacks of multiple conditions. I find it to be a very stable and fun solo play spec.

My targeted build seems to imply a lot of damage, at least on paper, but I'll leave that to better theorycrafters than I. I never go full glass cannon, I cannot abide being squishy, so some Toughness/Vitality can be found on all my characters.

I'm using Decoy and Time Warp until I get Mirage Advance and Jaunt.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQRAnf7fnsICNohVoBWLDMMjlXDDNA8FOClTgeTwx//VAXgA-jhzCQBYRJByOJgOAAcEAUhmgxoE8YPAgLpKwy2fwZKXKoKBMTFC9oVYjKh8kaKAA-e

@Zoser.7245 said:Maybe that was the intention, since they do not get how to make it effective outside of (perhaps) a specific use or none, at least they make it pretty visually and chaotic for casual players and allow them and new ones to have some fun with Mirage specialization.

well intention or not , it certainly created the false hype for casual and hides the true issues . until month later when everyone demand meta builds for certain content , casual will start cry for usefulness from this elite spec. but at that point , anet wont fix this crap . just see how it goes for scrapper or reaper or rev .

@etiolate.9185 said:I was pondering a thread stating that Mirage was simply not fun to play. Instead, I'll just disagree here. What do you find fun about it? it's visually interesting, but feels like basic Mesmer with some ambush thrown in.

Really? I wasn't sure what to expect from the spec, but after running around through HoT for Hero Points this afternoon with it, and now having it fully completed, I honestly had a blast. I love mobile professions, and Mirage MIGHT even be more mobile than a Thief now. I think I can agree that I see it potentially getting boring after a while, but I'm sure it'll be tons of fun for now.

Sure this spec will last me enjoyment-wise until they smoothen/balance things out a tad more.

@tnhalbertsma.7682 said:

@etiolate.9185 said:I was pondering a thread stating that Mirage was simply not fun to play. Instead, I'll just disagree here. What do you find fun about it? it's visually interesting, but feels like basic Mesmer with some ambush thrown in.

Really? I wasn't sure what to expect from the spec, but after running around through HoT for Hero Points this afternoon with it, and now having it fully completed, I honestly had a blast. I love mobile professions, and Mirage MIGHT even be more mobile than a Thief now. I think I can agree that I see it potentially getting boring after a while, but I'm sure it'll be tons of fun for now.

Sure this spec will last me enjoyment-wise until they smoothen/balance things out a tad more.

rng mobility is not real mobility and even worse its shorter range .more mobile than a thief , nice joke here .its worse than chrono for out combat mobility due to 25% speed trait .in combat , all the teleport are either rng or very limited like sword ambush due to anet forgot to give mirage a meaningful way to gain mirage cloak they tried mirror , it did not work . they did not redesign it .so this is worst elite .

@musu.9205 said:

@tnhalbertsma.7682 said:

rng mobility is not real mobility and even worse its shorter range .more mobile than a thief , nice joke here .its worse than chrono for out combat mobility due to 25% speed trait .in combat , all the teleport are either rng or very limited like sword ambush due to anet forgot to give mirage a meaningful way to gain mirage cloak they tried mirror , it did not work . they did not redesign it .so this is worst elite .

Sorry but, ambush skills are far from limited? I was easily able to cycle through 3-4 Sword Ambushes along with Blink and/or one/two of the new Mirage utility/mobility spells, continuously.

shatter often then you lose your dmg , i dont know if you are trolling or what ? the ambush skill is not good enough to shatter illusion for vigor alone .if you mean , you use shatter as main dmg source while ambush are bonus then sure . but that way you could just run chrono which works far better with shatter .

@Aorin.9168 said:In my build, shatter and crits grant vigor, so I can use mirage cloak and ambush skills pretty frequently.

Running practically the same build. I'm running a Power spec though, so I don't see the use in Illusion? I feel like it's more oriented towards Condition specs, and Mirage probably benefits most from Domination/Dueling/Mirage, don't you think? New to Mesmer though, so I may very well be wrong here

Edit: nvm, seems you're going hybrid-ish?

@musu.9205 said:shatter often then you lose your dmg , i dont know if you are trolling or what ? the ambush skill is not good enough to shatter illusion for vigor alone .if you mean , you use shatter as main dmg source while ambush are bonus then sure . but that way you could just run chrono which works far better with shatter .

How? Just don't Shatter right as you stack up to 3 illusions, but Shatter when your other cooldowns have lowered and your illusions have already dealt some damage/applied conditions. Then some abilities and you'll be back to having three illusions, ready for the next cycle.

Actually i find the mirage with axe IS really fun...however i really love to play power mesmer....and i really love dual wielding....and since we just can have 1 axe equipped i LOVE the sword...but...after trying out the axe....the sword feels from the movement slow...i dont wanna change from sword to axe BUT i really wanna move with sword 2...here in the mesmer forum is somewhere a thread (found it): https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/2200/weapon-skills-discussion#latest

ok after reading my suggestions there again i could say: when sword 3 is designed like i said with the charges like axe 2 then the immobilized is maybe to strong, so cut that away from my suggestions on sword...but that are the changes i want on sword... <3

But, the mirage is fun, that they have made the cloak 1 second instead of 3/4 is really good.....ok, increasing the range from jaunt from 400 to 450 makes...well no difference but overall mirage is fun to play... i just wanna more movement on my sword (ok and the trait from axe with 20% CD reduction is cool...illusionary axe...i love it)... just finding an offhand when i want an axe as offhand is hard...sword / sword would be still my favorite, but the movement from the sword is not so good and fun.... so i will use axe.. =)(still hoping one of the devs see my post about the sword improvements but i dont think they take a look at that).... :/

Overall i love the mirage...and cant wait to see what weapon we will get next... <3 <3 <3

eh...have you seen some new styles in the bank tab? me not....and i think they did not release a legendary weapon this time....

Axe and scepter have really quick clone gen so i can shatter often. Torch phantasm + heal for a 2nd torch phantasm after i get a bunch of torment/confusion going to get some burning stacks. Shatter has a bunch of tie ins with the build so it's quite strong actually. (Confusion, vigor, condi dmg, blind which also applies more confusion, usually get Fury too if I hit a low health target.) Every time I mirage cloak I apply confusion and bleed. It's got great condi synergy.

@tnhalbertsma.7682 said:

@Aorin.9168 said:In my build, shatter and crits grant vigor, so I can use mirage cloak and ambush skills pretty frequently.

Running practically the same build. I'm running a Power spec though, so I don't see the use in Illusion? I feel like it's more oriented towards Condition specs, and Mirage probably benefits most from Domination/Dueling/Mirage, don't you think? New to Mesmer though, so I may very well be wrong here

@musu.9205 said:shatter often then you lose your dmg , i dont know if you are trolling or what ? the ambush skill is not good enough to shatter illusion for vigor alone .if you mean , you use shatter as main dmg source while ambush are bonus then sure . but that way you could just run chrono which works far better with shatter .

How? Just don't Shatter right as you stack up to 3 illusions, but Shatter when your other cooldowns have lowered and your illusions have already dealt some damage/applied conditions. Then some abilities and you'll be back to having three illusions, ready for the next cycle.

dude , everyone is telling you its not worth to shatter , its a fact with hard numbers in pve . and in pvp , 3 illusion lol , you joke right ? that't not practical to build up illusions and wait to shatter . chrono kinda fixed this issue , now with mirage you dont have chrono line , building up illusion and wait them to do dmg then shatter is not gonna work in most cases .also then again . whats the point of ambush for your build .

Its weird for me. I enjoyed playing Mirage a lot during the preview events, but today I just can't seem to figure out the pace. Dodging is very awkward for me and I am missing condition removal (which I never had issue with as a vanilla Mesmer in open pve). I can't figure out how to trait for condi removal while not messing up my damage output. I keep getting downed all the time because I expect to move when dodging. Overall, its just very weird...

@Aorin.9168 said:I enjoy how engaging it is, how many tools exist in the entire kit. I really like the mobility of all the shadowstep skills, the "now you see me, now you don't" stealth factor; how easy it is to apply multiple stacks of multiple conditions. I find it to be a very stable and fun solo play spec.

My targeted build seems to imply a lot of damage, at least on paper, but I'll leave that to better theorycrafters than I. I never go full glass cannon, I cannot abide being squishy, so some Toughness/Vitality can be found on all my characters.

I'm using Decoy and Time Warp until I get Mirage Advance and Jaunt.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQRAnf7fnsICNohVoBWLDMMjlXDDNA8FOClTgeTwx//VAXgA-jhzCQBYRJByOJgOAAcEAUhmgxoE8YPAgLpKwy2fwZKXKoKBMTFC9oVYjKh8kaKAA-e

Thanks for responding. It can stack bleed, confusion and torment with some burning, too. I guess I already have been doing the stealthy, mobile style of Mesmer for years. Mirage has more ports for certain, but I wasn't ever needing more combat ability.

As a FYI, Mirage Advance is a little wonky because of the animation wind-up and it's not a port but more of a ... jump? It gets blocked by line of sight. So watch out for that.

..... .... .....> @tnhalbertsma.7682 said:

@musu.9205 said:

@tnhalbertsma.7682 said:

Sorry but, ambush skills are far from limited? I was easily able to cycle through 3-4 Sword Ambushes along with Blink and/or one/two of the new Mirage utility/mobility spells, continuously.

I think he sees it from another point of view. The mobility of the Mirage is good for chasing a target and trying to evade it in the area but not if you are the chased one. I have a couple of ideas in mind, but it means giving up vital utilities. While it is true that the elite (Jaunt) can help little although I think that you'll be reached anyways by several of professions/specializations.

@musu.9205 said:

@tnhalbertsma.7682 said:

dude , everyone is telling you its not worth to shatter , its a fact with hard numbers in pve . and in pvp , 3 illusion lol , you joke right ? that't not practical to build up illusions and wait to shatter . chrono kinda fixed this issue , now with mirage you dont have chrono line , building up illusion and wait them to do dmg then shatter is not gonna work in most cases .also then again . whats the point of ambush for your build .

Seeing as I'm running a Sword/Sword GS Power build, Ambush doesn't seem to do much. I'm primarily using my Sword Ambush as a gap closer back to my opponent after having dodged out of the way with the Distortion/Superspeed/Blink abilities. The damage seems pretty bad though, not sure if this'll hold up on a DPS meter.

Regarding your comment about it not being 'worth it' to Shatter because 'everyone says so', that's nonsense though. If I use my Sword/Sword 3-4-5 abilities, I'll have 3 illusions. While those abilities are on cooldown, I'm free to use other abilities, dodge out, use Sword 2 for burst, etc.Then after Sword 3 runs lower on cooldown (which is quick, reduced cooldown due to trait), I pop Shatter. Then 3 again, Mirror Image, Shatter. Then Sword 4-5, 3 will be back up, Shatter.

You can continuously cycle through the abilities, providing constant shatters (really, this is just the ACTIVE illusion generation), and almost constant illusion uptime.

This ofcourse with in between Distortion/Dodges followed up with Sword Ambush, along with Mesmer/Mirage utility spells (don't know what they're called) you're actually stupidly sticky.

Like, I've also read what 'other people say' but this seems to be working for me, and my logic doesn't seem flawed as far as I can tell (really, give it a go :)).

@Zoser.7245 said:..... .... .....> @tnhalbertsma.7682 said:

@musu.9205 said:

@tnhalbertsma.7682 said:

I think he sees it from another point of view. The mobility of the Mirage is good for chasing a target and trying to evade it in the area but not if you are the chased one. I have a couple of ideas in mind, but it means giving up vital utilities. While it is true that the elite (Jaunt) can help little although I think that you'll be reached anyways by several of professions/specializations.

There's this option in the option screen that, if you don't have anything targeted, the game won't automatically target something for. This makes makes it possible to escape using abilities that provide Distortion (like Dodging), and following up with Sword Ambush (this one creating the distance + Superspeed). But yeah, apart from that, the two Blinks being targeted made me a little sad. The one reading 'Shadowsteps to target + blinds', I thought that one would be 'target ground', which would've been a nice tradeoff for 300 less range and shorter cooldown than Blink.

@Aorin.9168 said:Axe and scepter have really quick clone gen so i can shatter often. Torch phantasm + heal for a 2nd torch phantasm after i get a bunch of torment/confusion going to get some burning stacks. Shatter has a bunch of tie ins with the build so it's quite strong actually. (Confusion, vigor, condi dmg, blind which also applies more confusion, usually get Fury too if I hit a low health target.) Every time I mirage cloak I apply confusion and bleed. It's got great condi synergy.

axe is trash in pvp , also an entire elite spec function should not be locked behind a single weapon set . you can once again compare mirage with dd .thief doesnt need any other trait line to make their new dodge to function .therefore it is true ambush is very limited .

but anyway lets talk about scepter , itself is fine but it still has issue to actually hit something also its ambush is rather slow .it does less than power ranger rapid fire .and guess why people stopped complaining about rapid fire dmg after a while .

do test build before you are saying shatter has bunch of stuff lol .we all know how much it does and how often you can do shatter , we really do after 5 years .and in current game , it doesnt do enough anything for reasons . the cost /gain isnt good enough to pick mirage over chrono in pvp .

in pve , mirage increase cmesmer dmg by a bit.its still trash tier dps and simply wont work for certain bosses like KC .

I care not for raid viability, high level fractals, whether its "meta" or not, whether it "is better" than other specs. It's fun to play. This is a game right? I ENJOY this spec. It's effective enough that it doesnt suck; it can kill things rather quickly, has good survivability and can solo Champs and HP's in Maguuma.

You can tell me its trash all you want but I'm having fun playing it and that's all that matters to me as far as a video GAME is concerned.

Man this community is toxic. I came here to leave feedback for devs and I get railed on :(

@Zoser.7245 said:I think he sees it from another point of view. The mobility of the Mirage is good for chasing a target and trying to evade it in the area but not if you are the chased one. I have a couple of ideas in mind, but it means giving up vital utilities. While it is true that the elite (Jaunt) can help little although I think that you'll be reached anyways by several of professions/specializations.

You do have a 600 range dash on a 8ish second cooldown, if you're using sword. As long as you aren't targeting anyone, it will go forward through anyone.

Archived