Druid questions!

Hey folks,

I've been gone from the game for a long time. If I'm not mistaken, you can now make a Ranger into a Druid as an elite class. Is this correct? If so, how long does it take to become a Druid? Can you play one from the start? Also, is the Druid a melee or ranged class? Is it relatively simple to play? Do you have to do a ton of roll dodging (I'm terrible at timing dodges).

Thank you!

It is the elite specialization. You must own the first expansion (HoT), and then you only need to train the new traitline and equip it to become a druid.I think you need to be level 80, and you have to find enough hero points to train (there's a lot of hero points in expansion-specific maps).As with ranger, druid is what you make it to be, but his unique weapon (staff) is ranged, if you choose to equip it. Druid is relatively harder to play because none of your usual ranger stuff is taken from you and you also get to manage your celestial form (which swaps your weapon skills for healing/control for a short time).

(edit: unnecessary quotation)

Druid is the Ranger’s elite specialization, only unlockable when you purchase the Heart of Thorns expansion AND your ranger character is level 80. Not to worry though, because buying the expansion comes with a free level 80 boost.

The Druid is largely regarded as a great healing/support specialization for various modes of gameplay, particularly in a team setting. It’s not much of a heavy hitter in regards to damage, but the celestial avatar has saved me many times from death in PvE.

You can read up basics here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Druid

I'm a druid main in raids. As for open world content, I'd probably say that base ranger or Soulbeast (PoF elite spec) are as worth running. Staff as a solo player is more or less useless at least IMHO. I've been running a shortbow druid a fair amount of time in open world content as a solo player and the biggest pro is, as Svennis said, the increased healing. Definitely a fun class to play, and if you're going for endgame content, it's the meta healer.

@Walder.6524 said:Hey folks,

Also, is the Druid a melee or ranged class? Is it relatively simple to play? Do you have to do a ton of roll dodging (I'm terrible at timing dodges).

Hi! I main a druid in solo PVE, and it's a fun and easy class to play. I mainly use dodge to clear conditions (there's a skill choice for that) but if you choose other methods, you may not have to. I can often go in and revive people in the middle of a battle and just ignore the hits I'm taking. (Within reason.) I would recommend you build with an eye to power, healing power and toughness for an all-around solo. I used a fair amount of celestial in my armor, for my main weapons (double axes, though longbow is more popular) I use Crusader stats and for my druid staff I use Cleric stats, with runes of Dwayna for the extra healing power. If you want to be tankier for solo play, go for stats/runes with more toughness. Your Celestial Avatar mode lets you throw around some big heals for group play, but you will also find you have a lot of skills that allow you to share your ordinary heals with allies nearby. If you enjoy being a healer, but still want enough punch to take on tougher mobs, druid is a great choice.

• 2 years later...

@Gwylan.6104 said:When do the staff skills show up for Druid? I equip a staff and get nothing in the skill bar.

You need 30 skill points to unlock the druid elite spec (above level 80). At that point you can equip a staff and have access to all the staff skills. For the utilities unique to druid, such as glyphs and celestial avatar you need to invest more skill points into the line.

@Gwylan.6104 said:I still get the red notice that I have to have the druid skill unlocked when I select a staff, but I've spent over 100 points in druid skills to get it opened and trained.

You need to equip the druid specialization as well. For example if you have marksmanship, beast mastery and skirmishing trees, you need to swap skirmishing (the last tree) for druid.

I recently tried a staff / LB druid for the first time in WvW. Surprisingly good fun, but people will hate you... expect people to jump on you, throw seige and send salty whispers. Luckily, I'm shit and mostly lose 1v1 fights, but it's more fun solo than other things I've tried.