Options for a player who can't dodge for crap.

I'm interested in returning to GW2, but there's an issue: I'm absolutely terrible at timing dodge rolls. Is there a class and build that is more stationary or otherwise doesn't have to dodge that often? I'm primarily a solo player but enjoy some grouping.

Thanks!

Mind elaborating just a bit? What part of dodge-roll timing are you faltering at? Is it just specific enemies that are giving you issues?

Dodge-rolling is primarily used to dodge incoming attacks, where I can see timing being useful, but also to re-position to a more favourable spot (read: outside of AoE rings). Timing is not quite necessary most of the time unless you're in a end-game situation such as Raids, and even there it's mostly for re-positioning.

Unfortunately, standing still is a good way to get yourself killed. There are some classes that have this as a mechanic, for example: Rifle Deadeye make ample use of Kneeling, which locks their movement, but it also makes it incredibly easy to just die to a mob smacking you in the face.Opposite end of the spectrum has the Mirage use their Endurance for offensive purposes, while still having other evades and mobility outside of Mirage Cloak. This can be read as you'll be in an evasive state very often and you'll have clones pulling some aggro or projectiles, making it easier to manage, but being short Endurance often can come back to bite you if you need to dodge a specific attack. Same can apply to Daredevils, who gain a third dodge, as well as Staff having an evade and re-position skill.

Mobility is a big part of this MMO. Positioning is key for some Traits. Dodge-rolling is just the basic form of quick re-positioning that all classes have access to, with the added benefit of evade frames. Knowing when to save it and when to get the hell out of Dodge, wholly intentional, is just something you'll pick up on as you play more.

Many ways you can negate damage coming to you. With higher toughness boost vitality or block etc. Or transfer to minions or pet etc. I hv a guildy he is over 60 and has arthritis so dodging is also an issue for him. But he can do jumping puzzles ok after many practices and all open world events.. this game is for everyone.You can try ranger or necromancer(Minion master)

@Talindra.4958 said:Many ways you can negate damage coming to you. With higher toughness boost vitality or block etc. Or transfer to minions or pet etc. I hv a guildy he is over 60 and has arthritis so dodging is also an issue for him. But he can do jumping puzzles ok after many practices and all open world events.. this game is for everyone.You can try ranger or necromancer(Minion master)

What class does he play?

Also, can ranger pets hold aggro?

Can probably go for something like this. Sure it'll take some time to kill something, but you should be able to survive any open world, story and low end fractals (not raid or high end fractals though) without dodging well.

If you have HoT use this and you should be able to kill things faster while having slightly less survival. You also should generate enough boons to supply reaper shroud. When not in shroud just use greatsword and you'll passively heal via boon/trait/signet, or swap to axe if you want to fight in range. When in shroud just spam 1 since you gain might from hits and they also heals your health.

P.S. never pop the heal signet. It can't survive burst damages in PvP but it's passive is like buffed up warrior signet in PvE.

@Walder.6524 said:

@Talindra.4958 said:Many ways you can negate damage coming to you. With higher toughness boost vitality or block etc. Or transfer to minions or pet etc. I hv a guildy he is over 60 and has arthritis so dodging is also an issue for him. But he can do jumping puzzles ok after many practices and all open world events.. this game is for everyone.You can try ranger or necromancer(Minion master)

What class does he play?

Also, can ranger pets hold aggro?Yes ranger pet can hold agro but they can die too you can hv two pets active to swap each time try it out but I think necromancer with minions is more afk mode :)

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Your key binding can make a big difference. I put my dodge on the mouse scroll button as that has a click option also. I put it there as my index finger rests on it while using the mouse. It’s very easy and fast to hit that button. You don’t have to move your finger away from where it’s resting to dodge.

There are mice out there that have several side buttons too that could make it easier to keybind. Also, the Ranger has shortbow 3 and Lightning Escape for a utility skill that each act as a dodge mechanic which can help with evading backwards. Timing can still be an issue, but at least they allow giving you space in a fight.

If you enjoy the game then it is for you, you just need to find the right class, not everyone has to be super mobile if you are only doing open world pve.

I main several Rangers and if you learn to use your pet correctly they can hold agro on most things. You do need to learn to watch their health bar and switch pets as often as needed, also don't be afraid to use your heal skill only for your pet. I always consider my pet dyeing to be a major mistake on my play style. Carrying on from Ranger, Druid can also be very survivable, you might not kill things quickly, but they do go down long before you or your pet will. Learn to send your pet in before you start your attack to gets the mobs attention, or have a pet with a good F2 attack skill to get the mobs attention. Pets will chill or cripple can also stop them reaching you.

Necromancer, minion master, like the Ranger let the minions do the work. More minions means there is always likely to be one to hold agro, but they are less controllable than the Rangers pet.

Guardian, i have a mace / focus Guardian that is incredibly tough. she has plenty of blocks, but it does require a bit more timing than either the Ranger or Necromancer options, if you have problems timing your dodges, you might find timing your blocks equally hard.

Thief Daredevil, the staff has a blind option on the fourth key, if you can keep the enemy blinded they can't hit you. Don't waste initiative on other fancy moves and you can get through fights with out being hit. I do find her susceptible to condition damage though.

If you enjoy the game don't let other complain about your class or build, I have never worried about metas, i play what works for me, and on a few occasions in GW2 and WoW I have surprised groups by being able to do the unexpected.

OK, thanks for all the help! I played a Necro for a bit long ago, and to be honest, I just didn't like the pets they have. I would prefer more traditional undead.

I'm very interested in either a Ranger or tanky Guardian. I think I could pull off blocking OK. It's moving my finger and holding a direction key while double-tapping to dodge that gets me. Does anyone have a link to a super-tough Guardian that might work? I don't plan on raiding, mostly open-world solo stuff.

Thanks so much!

@Walder.6524 said:I'm very interested in either a Ranger

Here's how you play longbow ranger. Stand further away than literally any other weapon in the entire game, and shoot things. If your pet gets low on health, swap pets so it's at full health. If you are targeted, move somewhere else.

As you can see from my avatar I'm a ranger main and have at times been fairly hardcore. Longbow ranger can do ANYthing (that isn't DPS timed) in the entire open world solo. Even group challenges in the exapacs. It's easy.

Now you may be asking why do I main ranger then, and the answer is obviously you can make it much deeper if you want. Too bored plinking away? Literally leap into the thick of it with a sword and fight by your pet. Or any of a number of other ways to play.

@Walder.6524 said:Man, both longbow ranger and vitality tank sound good...

Glass cannon is the way to go. Ranger can let you leap from ranged to melee per fight at your ability. Playing some slow tanky useless character there is no room for change or improvement. Plus everything is just slooooow.

My two cents anyway, I'm sure there are arguments for playing tanky necros or something.

@Walder.6524 said:

@Linken.6345 said:why dont you just bind dodge to a easy to use key?like e or q or a extra mouse button if you have that

But don't you also have to hit a directional key to control the dodge? I'm not kidding, I'm really old and slow! LOL...

No but you will always dodge backwards then and sounds like you want to go away from enemy anyway right?

@Linken.6345 said:

@Linken.6345 said:why dont you just bind dodge to a easy to use key?like e or q or a extra mouse button if you have that

But don't you also have to hit a directional key to control the dodge? I'm not kidding, I'm really old and slow! LOL...

No but you will always dodge backwards then and sounds like you want to go away from enemy anyway right?

Yes! Hmm, maybe that idea of putting dodge on the middle mouse button...

@Walder.6524 said:

Yes! Hmm, maybe that idea of putting dodge on the middle mouse button...

Beware the cliff!

Archived