Botting Necro's/Engineers lowering my enjoyment of the game.

Abakk.9176

One or more Necro's/Engineers botting some area with fast spawning mobs are really starting to get on my nerves. They block off area's where mobs spawn and where it used to be fun to defend against- or fight small waves of mobs.

Can't there be some mechanic added to minions that despawns them after a period of time of inactivity by the player character? Or at least something like that? Or just log off the character from the game after some inactivity like in any other game.

You see them everywhere these days, it's running rampant.

EDIT: [ for those that think this is about AFK farming: ]

Some of my favorite fighting spots are unusable because the mobs are beeing killed at the spawnpoint. So it's not about the KILLRIGHTS or about the MATERIALS but about ATTACKING, DODGING, and FIGHTING mobs.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@lokh.2695 said:It's in game since at least the release of Bitterfrost and ANet is aye-ok with it. Sry m8. I'd rather have it differently but I don't think anything will change about it in the near future.

With a clump of them of 3 players (12 minions) they effectively remove a small part of the game that is supposed to be there for everyone. The least i can do is report them and make some noise on the forum.

Can't imagine Anet is okay with people slowly wrecking their game. Specially with such easy solutions.

Maybe some bigger picture here im not seeing.

The game kicks you after one hour of inactivity. So they are either they spot farming or using a macro to not get booted. Just report and move on. If they aren't doing anything wrong, then nothing will happen. And with the maps as big and plentiful as they are, what can 3 people possibly keep you from doing?

Report them and move on.. At least thats what im doing. Last time i saw such group in Frostgorge camping on the place where the broodmother champion spawns, they farm that champion. I dont think its ok but i guess only ANet can decide whether it is or not.Maybe GW1-style minions would help.. ?They had a quite strong life degen and the minion master could heal them but they lost hps, the more minions you had, the more hp you lost - means, you could heal them few times but after a while, whithout healing from another source you would die.

@Abakk.9176 said:

@"lokh.2695" said:It's in game since at least the release of Bitterfrost and ANet is aye-ok with it. Sry m8. I'd rather have it differently but I don't think anything will change about it in the near future.

With a clump of them of 3 players (12 minions) they effectively remove a small part of the game that is supposed to be there for everyone. The least i can do is report them and make some noise on the forum.

Can't imagine Anet is okay with people slowly wrecking their game. Specially with such easy solutions.

Never said I'm ok with it. I just stopped caring. If ANet doesn't, why should I? I know what they do and how they "remove a small part of the game" for you, for me it's mostly immersion breaking and I think it's unjustified that they get loot for not playing the game which also sets the wrong incentive for other players. I understand that, But the reports have been made and continue to this day and the noise on the forum is as old as the issue, i.e. "It's in game since at least the release of Bitterfrost".$

Good luck with the reports and the noise, see you again when the topic pops up next week ;)

@lokh.2695 said:

@lokh.2695 said:It's in game since at least the release of Bitterfrost and ANet is aye-ok with it. Sry m8. I'd rather have it differently but I don't think anything will change about it in the near future.

Never said I'm ok with it. I just stopped caring. If ANet doesn't, why should I? I know what they do and how they "remove a small part of the game" for you, for me it's mostly immersion breaking and I think it's unjustified that they get loot for not playing the game which also sets the wrong incentive for other players. I understand that, But the reports have been made and continue to this day and the noise on the forum is as old as the issue, i.e. "It's in game since at least the release of Bitterfrost".$

Good luck with the reports and the noise, see you again when the topic pops up next week ;)

Unfortunately lokh is right.. believe me I have made countless reports on masses of engineers and necros in various locations across the game but it simply falls on deaf ears and aside from an occasional coffee drip nothing is going to be done about it so the only choices we have left are grin and bare it, stop putting cash into the gemstore or find another game to fill your time... I have taken the latter two options which is a shame cos I have been happy to spend to support the game but with the ignorance shown of this issue as well as others like hacks/exploits seemingly unchecked now in pvp/wvw its simply not worth putting much more into it for me.

"slowly ruining the game", "running rampant", "slowly wrecking the game", frigging really? dramatic much?. This has such a minuscule effect on anything. Most of them are just farming Xp. I'm all over the maps daily. I hardly ever see them. maybe one every few maps. Anyway, just chill and play your game. Anet has already ruled on this and you're wasting your time reporting it. its a nothing burger. move on, nothing to see here.

Only thing to do is report and learn to live with them. I reported one particular necro sometime around August of last year, then put the account on my friends list. He finally stopped logging in sometime around December. I suspect he wasn't banned, but just got bored.

I never actually understood the whole Botting. Could some1 explain to me why do this in Gw2? Like the minions rarely gives anything, and I cant imagine it giving more than like 10 gold every 2-3 hours when killing them gives you a few coppers and greens. Like botting near places with events, would at the very least double/tripple it

@MachineManXX.9746 said:

@Abakk.9176 said:Well at least they guard the forums very well...

Or, maybe the people responding play the game just like you but don't let something so trivial affect their enjoyment of the game?

I think most people just get used to the fact that things are neglected. And a few other people are appearantly doing very well with this 'arrangement'.

Or maybe it is not quite so 'few' ... considering me talking about it seems to be frowned upon more than on the leechers themselves :)

That is a really odd thing to get upset about. They're not doing you any harm. If you run around the world killing everything on sight.. idk, might be the wrong game. A large majority of players ignores most enemies because they don't do anything anyway so why bother.

I occasionally afk farm as well to get lower tier mats, but at least I'm sitting next to it while I work or read.

Besides, you can never really know if they are there or not. If I don't want to be bothered I switch my chat to an empty tab and press # to remove it entirely. Never underestimate someone's ability to ignore everything while still being around somewhat. If they legitimately afk until they get kicked it's no harm done either

@zengara.8301 said:I never actually understood the whole Botting. Could some1 explain to me why do this in Gw2? Like the minions rarely gives anything, and I cant imagine it giving more than like 10 gold every 2-3 hours when killing them gives you a few coppers and greens. Like botting near places with events, would at the very least double/tripple it

When your sat AFK farming continuously all day everyday every week every month... those few minions that drop certain mats pile up quickly and then they bomb the TP .. it has a fundamental effect on the economy both as sellers and buyers. With the amount of accounts ANET lets players open up . this issue has now spiralled across the whole game. Every map has lots of them in certain hot spots.But of course ANET by their ignorance to the issue are saying AFK farming is normal gameplay and all is good.. nothing nefarious must be going on - really!

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@zengara.8301 said:I never actually understood the whole Botting. Could some1 explain to me why do this in Gw2? Like the minions rarely gives anything, and I cant imagine it giving more than like 10 gold every 2-3 hours when killing them gives you a few coppers and greens. Like botting near places with events, would at the very least double/tripple it

When your sat AFK farming continuously all day everyday every week every month... those few minions that drop certain mats pile up quickly and then they bomb the TP .. it has a fundamental effect on the economy both as sellers and buyers. With the amount of accounts ANET lets players open up . this issue has now spiralled across the whole game. Every map has lots of them in certain hot spots.But of course ANET by their ignorance to the issue are saying AFK farming is normal gameplay and all is good.. nothing nefarious must be going on - really!

You're blowing the problem way out of proportion. The 100 people that do it on EU servers will barely have an impact.

They do ban these players. GMs will investigate them like any other bots, teleporting them out and whispering them to confirm their status. If they fail to respond, they are banned.

Trying to counter it with AFK mechanics is pointless, since they'll just use macros. They'd need to rely on crowd sourcing, where after enough reports, they'd be required to enter a captcha to continue.

@Blocki.4931 said:That is a really odd thing to get upset about. They're not doing you any harm. If you run around the world killing everything on sight.. idk, might be the wrong game. A large majority of players ignores most enemies because they don't do anything anyway so why bother.

I occasionally afk farm as well to get lower tier mats, but at least I'm sitting next to it while I work or read.

Besides, you can never really know if they are there or not. If I don't want to be bothered I switch my chat to an empty tab and press # to remove it entirely. Never underestimate someone's ability to ignore everything while still being around somewhat. If they legitimately afk until they get kicked it's no harm done either

Yeah, its clear to see why some folks wouldn't want this pot to be stirred too much ;)

@Blocki.4931 said:

You're blowing the problem way out of proportion. The 100 people that do it on EU servers will barely have an impact.

Oh it's only 100 people? Well in that case i don't see why they don't just get a permanent ban.

I don't like people claiming and blocking off parts of the game for their own personal profit. And i don't care if they are there or not.

Yeah, I don't see why they don't permaban people for something extremely minor either.

"Blocking off parts of the game" is so incredibly generic. You're just angry because these people aren't actively playing, but what should they do besides banning? Make minions die after a certain amount of time? Scripts and macros that do more than 1 thing per button press aren't allowed, fully automated even less. It would be easier to detect people actually using programs that way I guess.

By your logic, a person that is 100% there and actively presses buttons, thus killing all mobs and denying everybody else a kill or credit on it does the very same. So it is okay for people to do it by pressing 1 or just putting something on their 1 key to keep it pressed but if they are AFK in any other it's like they just committed the first sin?

Idk, I'll keep my low effort Scale farm up, I refuse to pay 10 silver per piece ;)

@Blocki.4931 said:

You're blowing the problem way out of proportion. The 100 people that do it on EU servers will barely have an impact

Lol 100 .. eermm yeah ok.I can see that many at Rankor Ruins on Timberline Falls alone most days :)

@"Abakk.9176" said:And i realise im kicking against some peoples ingame businesses, looking at some of the responses :)

I've never:

1) played a necro.2) played an engineer.3) "botted"4) "macroed"

... in all the time I've played this game. I just don't understand how your "enjoyment of the game" could possibly hinge on some trifling pocket of open world trash-mobs in the corner of some loser zone nobody goes to unless they have a quest to finish.

Archived