D/P Thief Daredevil - WvW Outnumbered Roaming/Duels! Lights On #3

Noodica.5428

Nice video.

Some suggestions are:

1. Change your ground targeting to a faster method
  2. You need to be more aggressive vs warriors
  3. Get more comfortable fighting closer

Watching the video there were times I definitely felt that if you were closer you had an opportunity to pounce. Instead I notice you kite to like 2k units away too much. Otherwise well played and nice vid.

Thanks

Tab target is only really useful in 1v1 against a few classes. Click-target is good to utilize with Mirage due to the target break and other similar AI-heavy matchups as tab-target will just be slower and Action Cam can be unreliable if needing to pick off specific targets in a group.

The spellbreaker matchup favors being passive and whittling them down. There's rarely an advantage in being aggressive into it except when stances are on cooldown, they use shield 5, and you have BV available. Otherwise it's almost always better to maintain a distance and play safe and trade hits. If you go aggro they will out-trade and out-burst you. The only matchup OP could afford to be more aggressive into given the gameplay I saw is mirage. Fully disengaging to re-engage is a general waste of resources as they can catch and still hit from range.

A few uses of Shadow Shot could have made some fights end quicker and punished enemies a little harder, but otherwise, the gameplay was solid for what the current matchups look like for the most part. Conservative and nothing flashy, but controlled and overall well-played.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:Tab target is only really useful in 1v1 against a few classes. Click-target is good to utilize with Mirage due to the target break and other similar AI-heavy matchups as tab-target will just be slower and Action Cam can be unreliable if needing to pick off specific targets in a group.

The spellbreaker matchup favors being passive and whittling them down. There's rarely an advantage in being aggressive into it except when stances are on cooldown, they use shield 5, and you have BV available. Otherwise it's almost always better to maintain a distance and play safe and trade hits. If you go aggro they will out-trade and out-burst you. The only matchup OP could afford to be more aggressive into given the gameplay I saw is mirage. Fully disengaging to re-engage is a general waste of resources as they can catch and still hit from range.

A few uses of Shadow Shot could have made some fights end quicker and punished enemies a little harder, but otherwise, the gameplay was solid for what the current matchups look like for the most part. Conservative and nothing flashy, but controlled and overall well-played.

Fixed the targeting to say ground targeting. I thought that was understood.

Spellbreaker/warrior fights are all about being aggressive while dodging their hits. If you notice he uses the whirling axe in a BP well away from the Warrior instead of getting on top of the warrior then doing the combo. For some reason tho the warriors in the vid walked into it w/out their resistance up to properly punish him. If you watch the 1st fight when he gets the warrior 1v1 that is a very long fight where the warrior resets multiple times getting away from him. That fight is the most significant example of what i'm talking about. (Pardon me if that is multiple fights vs the same warrior, but I assumed it wasn't since you stomped at the end)

Now what i'm going to get into I had zero intention too originally but its seems I have too .

To fight aggressive on a thief you need to also use your utilities in an offensive manner. I never saw one time the OP use his BP offensively. A perfect example would be once you SS you position yourself to the back then hit BP for an instant BS. This throws off your enemy & unsettles him. This creates panic & mistakes to capitalize on. This is what a BP + whirling axe right on top of your target does as well. Change it up and be unpredictable with very aggressive moves. Your shadow return you also failed to capitalize on. You had times you could chain your shadow shot & shadow return into aggressive plays that would have demolished your opponent. It works just like a 3>F1 combo.

The targeting on the mesmer you also should call the target on the real mesmer. Put that big beautiful bullseye on the fucker this allows you quick retarget by pressing your assist macro & visually identify faster.

Also you steal and AA instead of Shadowshot & steal. Try the later combo b/c it'll set them up being dazed, blinded, and you'll have a better opportunity to land the 3rd AA hit with poison.

p.s. I also watched more videos on his channel to make sure what I was seeing was correct. Did you?

That makes a lot more sense regarding targeting. I was definitely wearing my "Orly?" owl face when reading that when thinking about single-target abilities. Call target is a good suggestion though depending on the player not totally necessary. Good to note for the OP as an option nonetheless.

The whirl finisher on WA causes blinding bolts which are short-ranged projectiles which guarantee the blind if the warrior approaches a hit in melee. So long as it doesn't have resistance going, the miss is guaranteed. Perhaps a warrior misplay, though berserker stance was usually used in a lot of these fights and waiting on HSignet is typically in the best interest of the warrior since it also has a cast time which obviously can't be used during gap-closers like rush. A lot of the fights into spellbreaker were baiting cooldowns which is pretty necessary given double immunities, blocks, and resistance into blind. If you fight toe-to-toe with a good spellbreaker, you lose the pressure game so pacing and understanding when to strike are pretty significant. Speaking as someone who plays a full-aggression build/kit/style, spellbreaker is the only matchup I absolutely need to play defensively on and force cooldowns with. When against really good ones, there's no realistic way to make any trade attempts worthwhile, even when pushing 4k power and 7-8k AA's. Only when they're full glass does this sometimes work by being able to nuke them out, but that's pretty uncommon to see these days from my experience.

As far as not using BP aggressively goes, this just isn't true. I didn't re-watch the whole thing again, but after a quick skim in the first half alone, both the fights with the mirage and scourge+spellbreaker, BP was used aggressively for backstabs. Worth noting, OP only went down in the latter encounter because they tried to get over-aggressive into the stomp with the spellbreaker up and alive without a shadowstep safe stomp. Ultimately, keeping the play conservative while remaining in combat range of the scourge would have allowed for repeated downs on the necro which cuts the starting base hp for each downed state until an auto-death; repeated downs without a full reset would have whittled it to an auto-double-down on death and a 1v1 with the spellbreaker could commence. So I'll concede that maybe the magnitude of disengage being toned down could have helped here a bit, but that's pretty exclusive to that 1v2 matchup where there's a lot of AoE pressure, and a shadowstep stomp is really more of a better solution here than this tactic because it hinges on the target not trying to reset, either.

Again, conservative vs more proactive play with the combo stuff. Steal + AA obviously costs no initiative which allows for more stealth and sustain afterwards. As I mentioned, some shadow shot use (like you mention) could have ended fights sooner, but I won't discount good play when I see it since hindsight is 20/20 for us all when looking at footage, anyways.

watch the pattern on the blinding bolts when you do the combo. Once you realize the truth on the skill you understand what I'm saying. The reason you want to be aggressive against a warrior is to negate his Healing Signet. It's imperative to get the full dagger AA chain off due to the poison. So while patience is key during periods of invuln you need to be highly aggressive inbetween to force them faster to ensure the kill in a timely manner.

Using BP inside BP to stack stealth isn't an offensive use to the skill. The offensive use is in a person's face forcing a guaranteed BS. I've watched a few of Sind's videos and he is an excellent example on using BP aggressively.

Your whole save initiative for more stealth pretty much ends this by showcasing your ignorance.

Good day

@Jinks.2057 said:

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:The whirling axe in bp made perfect sense as the warrior throws gs and in turn is reflected back with a blind.

Which expires by the time you finish spinning. Now you're down 6 init and a steal skill while he's looking at your wondering kitten you were doing.....if he's competent.

oh yeah, sure if you drop BP just the stolen skill then i agree.

Archived